Texas Primary March 1, Early voting Feb 14-25

StassneyHorn

I got real tempted this morning to vote for (aspiring) Governor Moisture, so I can watch more chaos ensue between Huffines and Abbott.  But in the end, I couldn't do it.  I won't get into specific races on this thread, but above post brought up the topic-not me.   

But I will say this about early voting itself---I'm assuming it's heightened security because of all those efforts to subvert our election integrity by violent anti-American extremists and anarchists here in Texas...but holy shit.  I'm used to seeing one uniformed Travis County deputy or sheriff or constable in regular uniform with the usual service weapon.  There were three of them this morning, one with a K-9 unit, all with patrol rifles, ballistic helmets, bulletproof tac vests, etc.  They were just one notch below standard call SWAT attire would be wearing.  And this was a voting location that will probably see maybe 100 voters all day today.  

Also, if anybody's gonna bitch about the registration/voting machines being too vulnerable...now's the time to bring it up.  Because it's all digitized now, which IMO makes it more secure.  It's no longer the 3-person/3-step manual check-in.  One guy, one device, done in 15 seconds.  So if that makes us more vulnerable than the old handwritten log, speak your peace now.  If your guy doesn't win, don't clammer for us to go back to that bullshit 10 minute check-in process.  

Having said that, I assume it was first day logistics but we had to wait a minute or two to get ballots.  It was the usual old guys running it but there was a high school kid in there (voting place was right across the street from our local HS).  I told him it was cool of him to volunteer and asked if he got any community hours for doing it.  He laughed and said, "No sir, they told me since I was doing in-school suspension today, I could sit with no devices in a room alone, or hang out up here."  It was funny to me for some reason.  /csb

For some reason, I never received a voter card in the mail despite being a registered voter and having voted in ever election since 2016. I didn’t do anything. I usually receive the card automatically. What happened? Can anyone help?   If I miss the primary I won’t be too upset, but I really don’t want to miss the general.

12 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

For some reason, I never received a voter card in the mail despite being a registered voter and having voted in ever election since 2016. I didn’t do anything. I usually receive the card automatically. What happened? Can anyone help?   If I miss the primary I won’t be too upset, but I really don’t want to miss the general.

Do you need your registration card to vote? You used to be able to vote with an ID as long as you were registered, but that might have changed with all the new laws.

Edited by David Dennison

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Holding my nose and voting for Hot Wheels.

Do you normally vote GOP? If so, why not vote for one of the other GOP candidates, if only to show that you're not 100% happy with Abbott.

Or do you normally vote Dem, and you want Abbott to win the primary by as much of a margin as possible?

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do you need your registration card to vote? You used to be able to vote with an ID as long as you were registered, but that might have changed with all the new laws.

All you need is your DL.  I have never once used my voter registration card.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t need your card, DL is enough if you’re at same address. Texas Republican primary is more consequential so I participated.

Hoping for chaos in Governor race, runoff in Attorney General and Ag Commissioner race. Got to vote against Matt Mackowiak for County chair, against Little Gov, and for my close, personal, internet friend Robert Morrow in SBOE. 

had a literal attention whore in the RRC race, which is better than the actual incumbents

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you normally vote GOP? If so, why not vote for one of the other GOP candidates, if only to show that you're not 100% happy with Abbott.

Or do you normally vote Dem, and you want Abbott to win the primary by as much of a margin as possible?

I usually vote Dem.  I think Abbott could win the primary without my vote, but I don't want that crazy fuck Huffines anywhere near the Governor's Mansion.

15 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

All fun and games until he wins the general and @Brisketexan ends up captured by the gestapo in Bastrop.

It's spelled 'gazpacho', you uneducated rube.

But this quiet little place we vote usually since they shut down Randall's voting...3 armed sheriffs.  6 election officials.  10 voting machines.  For a place that I bet gets 100 voters/day during early voting.  I'm betting there are places in other parts of Texas that'll have no security (even though there'll be 'patriot' groups outside to help protect election 'tegridy via open carry), with 2 election officials, 4 voting machines all meant to process 1000's of voters/day.  I think Travis County runs things pretty well, but I'm talking other parts of Texas.  

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I usually vote Dem.  I think Abbott could win the primary without my vote, but I don't want that crazy fuck Huffines anywhere near the Governor's Mansion.

Interesting. I would think the Democratic vote in the GOP primary would be for Huffines, because that theoretically increases the chances that Beto actually wins.

Voting in the Dem primary even though the statewide slate is pretty meh, because that's where local offices are decided in Harris County.

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Don’t need your card, DL is enough if you’re at same address. Texas Republican primary is more consequential so I participated.

Hoping for chaos in Governor race, runoff in Attorney General and Ag Commissioner race. Got to vote against Matt Mackowiak for County chair, against Little Gov, and for my close, personal, internet friend Robert Morrow in SBOE. 

had a literal attention whore in the RRC race, which is better than the actual incumbents

If she is going to do that she should run for attorney general with her slogan "No Bush"  she might raise more than $0 .  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

If he had more than 4% support, absolutely.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

To what, 10%?

Huffines needs to do well enough to force Abbott into a runoff.  If he does that, and he's a True Believer, we need to get him to run 3rd party in the general.

Huffines has been saying that Abbott is as bad for Texas as Democrats.  We need to encourage that kind of cray.  He gets in to the general as 3rd party and peels off 5%-10%, that makes things interesting for Beto.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

As long as I'm voting in the primary for Huffines, might as well go full nuts on the cray, just in case it backfires.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

But I will say this about early voting itself---I'm assuming it's heightened security because of all those efforts to subvert our election integrity by violent anti-American extremists and anarchists here in Texas...but holy shit.  I'm used to seeing one uniformed Travis County deputy or sheriff or constable in regular uniform with the usual service weapon.  There were three of them this morning, one with a K-9 unit, all with patrol rifles, ballistic helmets, bulletproof tac vests, etc.  They were just one notch below standard call SWAT attire would be wearing.  And this was a voting location that will probably see maybe 100 voters all day today.  

A friend who works for a state agency (not a law enforcement agency mind you, and I'm being vague) mentioned that there was some concern regarding "patriotic" groups who expressed an interest in examining voting machines, voters' identification, etc., and that some of them were under the impression that they have the right to stroll into voting centers and look at the machinery or accost people in line and ask for ID, take their photos, etc.  99% of it is just idle talk/comments, but there are a few nuts out there thinking George Soros is personally stealing the election.

But it wasn't antifa and BLM they were concerned about.  There are also certain voting locations where there are heightened concerns as well (say there was a Jewish center being used, they might want additional law enforcement after recent events).

Yeah, 99% of it is bullshit.  Sadly 1% of threats in a state the size of ours means we've gotta deploy extra sheriffs to thousands of polling sites when they could be preventing real crime like these roving bands of arsonists, looters, rapists, and human traffickers.  What's that?  Hang on!  Yes, okay.  My producer is telling me that all the rapists have been stopped before they could rape.  However, the other fugitives remain at large.  

But jokes aside, the shitty thing is these LEO's are gonna have to zig zag across their counties every single day for two weeks chasing down calls on every suspicious person or open carry guy who looks shifty, etc.  All for a few hundred erroneously cast ballots in a state of 30mm.  Then you got wise asses like Biff Tannen who are gonna walk up to the check-in desk at some polling station in an uber red part of town and say, "My name?  George Soros!  No?  Nothing in the system, perhaps it's under my DNC alias...Mister Ronan Sinatra!  Try Ronan.  No, -an.  Ronan, not the Japanese spelling.  How the fuck you know that?"  

I looked up Zapata County first day results. Zapata County was the most famous example of Latinos switching to Trump in South Texas and was dissected for the last year and half endlessly. Its what sparked much of the renewed spending by Republicans in the area, and led to lots of "we know Hispanics better than you" between the two parties. 

The Democratic primary participation outnumbered the Republicans 332 to 5. Usual caveats aside about open primaries and cross voting, but that can't be good if you decided to spend all those resources there. Going to keep an eye on this

https://earlyvoting.texas-election.com/Elections/getElectionDetails.do

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I looked up Zapata County first day results. Zapata County was the most famous example of Latinos switching to Trump in South Texas and was dissected for the last year and half endlessly. Its what sparked much of the renewed spending by Republicans in the area, and led to lots of "we know Hispanics better than you" between the two parties. 

The Democratic primary participation outnumbered the Republicans 332 to 5. Usual caveats aside about open primaries and cross voting, but that can't be good if you decided to spend all those resources there. Going to keep an eye on this

https://earlyvoting.texas-election.com/Elections/getElectionDetails.do

Many bought into the fears that Biden was going to eliminate the O&G business on Jan 21, 2021.

Oil workers are not stupid. They can see that business has never been better. Not that I think Biden has directly done anything to make that happen but Presidents can easily make the O&G boom or bust. It just is what it is.

8 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Here are the 10 Primary ballot propositions:
Keep in mind that this is an opinion poll of Republican voters and not a policy referendum. You are not voting to make a law but merely saying YES you agree or NO you do not agree with the statement. 

1.) In light of the federal government’s refusal to defend the southern border, Texas should immediately deploy the National Guard, Texas Military Forces, and necessary state law enforcement to seal the border, enforce immigration laws, and deport illegal aliens.

2.) Texas should eliminate all property taxes within ten (10) years without implementing a state income tax.

3.) Texans should not lose their jobs, nor should students be penalized, for declining a COVID-19 vaccine.

4.) Texas schools should teach students basic knowledge and American exceptionalism and reject Critical Race Theory and other curricula that promote Marxist doctrine and encourage division based on creed, race, or economic status.

5.) Texas should enact a State Constitutional Amendment to defend the sanctity of innocent human life, created in the image of God, from fertilization until natural death.

6.) The Republican-controlled Texas Legislature should end the practice of awarding committee chairmanships to Democrats.

7.) Texas should protect the integrity of our elections by verifying that registered voters are American citizens, restoring felony penalties and enacting civil penalties for vote fraud, and fighting any federal takeover of state elections.

8.) Texas should ban chemical castration, puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and genital mutilation surgery on all minor children for sex transition purposes.

9.) Texas parents and guardians should have the right to select schools, whether public or private, for their children, and the funding should follow the student.

10.) Texans affirm that our freedoms come from God and that the government should have no control over the conscience of individuals.

2020 Ballot Propositions:

1.) Texas should not restrict or prohibit prayer in public schools. 

Yes – 88.61%

No – 11.39%

2.) Texas should reject restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms.

Yes – 85.38%

No – 14.62%

3.) Texas should ban the practice of taxpayer-funded lobbying, which allows your tax dollars to be spent on lobbyists who work against the taxpayer.

Yes – 94.29%

No – 5.71%

4.) Texas should support the construction of a physical barrier and use existing defense-grade surveillance equipment along the entire southern border of Texas.

Yes – 93.86%

No – 6.14%

5.) Texas parents or legal guardians of public school children under the age of 18 should be the sole decision makers for all their children’s healthcare decisions including, but not limited to, psychological assessment and treatment, contraception, and sex education.

Yes – 90.55%

No – 9.45%

6.) Texas should ban chemical castration, puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and genital mutilation surgery on all minor children for transition purposes, given that Texas children as young as three (3) are being transitioned from their biological sex to the opposite sex.

Yes – 94.57%

No – 5.43%

7.) Texans should protect and preserve all historical monuments, artifacts, and buildings, such as the Alamo Cenotaph and our beloved Alamo, and should oppose any reimagining of the Alamo site.

Yes – 97.3%

No – 2.7%

8.) Texas election officials should heed the directives of the Office of the Governor to purge illegal voters from the voter rolls and verify that each new registered voter is a U.S. Citizen.

Yes – 98.36%

No – 1.64%

9.) Bail in Texas should be based only on a person’s danger to society and risk of flight, not that person’s ability to pay.

Yes – 94.99%

No – 5.01%

10.) Texas should limit our state legislators’ terms to 12 years.

Yes – 92.03%

No – 7.97%

The three I bolded I actually agree with. The others are just fucking nonsense

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Here are the 10 Primary ballot propositions:
Keep in mind that this is an opinion poll of Republican voters and not a policy referendum. You are not voting to make a law but merely saying YES you agree or NO you do not agree with the statement. 

2.) Texas should eliminate all property taxes within ten (10) years without implementing a state income tax.

From a selfish standpoint, absolutely. But how is that realistic?

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

The three I bolded I actually agree with. The others are just fucking nonsense

Don Huffines are behind the others.  I am not going to prove it, because I believe it to be true.  He may not have directly been involved, but his constant chipping away at Abbott and the GOP over all of that stuff has made them have to talk about it.

4 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I voted. It seems like the voting numbers in my county are pretty lethargic so far. Is this going to be like 2010 and 2014 where only diehard republicans show up to vote and everyone else pretends an election isn’t going on?

Would be nice if the truly diehard Republicans showed up and tilted it towards Huffines.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, RexWilson said:

Just looked up my ballot, the propositions on there are fucking crazy.

I voted yesterday.  Couldn't agree more.  Some of that shit is intentionally misguided with the wording, IMHO.  I'm like, "I agree with about 75% of this fucker, but that clause right there...well fuck that.  It's a no."

and for the thread- I've thought Huffines was a kook since he started talking.  Run.  Run far fucking away from that insane bastard.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

anybody got a list of candidates to vote for that will best muck up the works? like who are the ones down ballot akin to Huffines that will give the front-runners the most heartburn?

The main thing is to try and force Republican incumbents into run offs. I voted against anyone who I knew was an incumbent or was recognizable. So my “big 3” votes were huffines, guzman, and some guy I don’t remember against Patrick.

• Hook 'Em 2