Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Well, now it's not a secret Jeff!  THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS ASSSHOLE! \

Actually this is pretty cool.  I bet LaMarcus is around.  Or I hope he is.  As I understand it, he still lives a fair amount of the year in San Antonio.  I dunno.  I'm just so excited for hoops season.  It's fun to be doing well in football and have a great basketball season to look forward to. And oh yeah, Fall Baseball.   

On 10/20/2022 at 2:09 PM, realgreggym said:

Gut, that 72-73 team could have been really good but we lost 2 starters. I believe that it was that year when Coach had to tell John Mark Wilson that he couldn't play his senior year. Back in the dark ages, you didn't scope but rather you would cut. He had had multiple surgeries on both of his knees and his knees looked like Frankenstein. Evidently, the medical staff talked with the coaches and told them that if he injured either knee one more time, he would be crippled for life. So the coaches obviously left him on scholarship but he couldn't participate any longer.

If think that Larry git hurt during non-conference that year at OU and he was gone for the season. Those 2 could have made that year far more successful. The 2 years that Larry played; he was the SWC MVP.  Despite what some of the board experts may think, Larry was probably the best player in the SWC in the 70s.

Yep.  Larry or Moncrief.  

7 minutes ago, redshirtexas said:

I wouldn’t take anything away from that scrimmage. Rice may be experienced but he’s one of the least talented players on the Texas roster. Come the actual season he’s a glue guy.

Rice has been the number one name mentioned this fall in regards to who is standing out the most during practice for Texas, and this U of H scrimmage is only the latest example. based on what i've read i'm expecting to be a 25 mpg guy for us, and to potentially be a part our closing five when we're trying to lock down a win. he's a grown man with a lot of experience at a high level, and i won't be shocked at all if he ends up being a very important player for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

like i'd have to imagine that as of right now Rice is way better than Arterio Morris. easily ahead of him in the pecking order if we're playing an important game today. i'm guessing he's better than Morris as an individual player, but especially as a member of a well functioning major D-1 team that's running at full throttle. there is zero substitute for four years of physical growth, mental growth, maturity, and major D-1 experience. the complexity of this level of ball is miles ahead of anything Morris has experienced, while Rice is now a grizzled old vet. i am 100% buying into the Rice hype heading into this season. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

Of course Gerry is giving us the low down.

I love that he's not a rah rah guy. He'll be team Beard for sure, and he'll be privately more critical than publicly, but if he posts something good, it's because he believes it. 

Beard has said he wants to score more in transition and speed up the play a bit with the personnel he has. This roster is so ridiculously flexible - which is by design, of course. If you're constantly seeking out big guards who can handle and smaller big guys who can effectively switch, that's what you get. 

I'm so excited for the Arkansas scrimmage. Going from one of the best defensive coaches and teachers of intensity in Kelvin Sampson to one of the best offensive minds in Musselman. Also, speaking of Rice, remember it was Arkansas that knocked out New Mexico State in the second round last year.  

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, redshirtexas said:

I wouldn’t take anything away from that scrimmage. Rice may be experienced but he’s one of the least talented players on the Texas roster. Come the actual season he’s a glue guy.

You are 100% correct. Info coming out of fall practice means little. Hopefully all the kids will have great seasons. Rice could be a huge factor this year but info during the fall means little. Some of the best kids we had in practice disappeared when the lights come on.

WE will have a great idea what we have especially with the new kids when the lights come on.

7 hours ago, realgreggym said:

info during the fall means little. Some of the best kids we had in practice disappeared when the lights come on.

Jabari Rice is a 21 year old college graduate who has played 111 D-1 games (74 as a starter), including 32 games last year (32 mpg) where he helped lead a thin and not-very-talented NMSU team to 27 wins, including a WAC tourney title (he was named to the all-tourney team) and an NCAA tourney upset over a ranked UCONN team. he's not some 18 y/o freshman who has never played a minute of college ball- he's a known commodity. if everyone who has watched Texas this fall comes away saying that he's a standout, you can go ahead and take that info to the bank. 

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Jabari Rice is a 21 year old college graduate who has played 111 D-1 games (74 as a starter), including 32 games last year (32 mpg) where he helped lead a thin and not-very-talented NMSU team to 27 wins, including a WAC tourney title (he was named to the all-tourney team) and an NCAA tourney upset over a ranked UCONN team. he's not some 18 y/o freshman who has never played a minute of college ball- he's a known commodity. if everyone who has watched Texas this fall comes away saying that he's a standout, you can go ahead and take that info to the bank. 

I know that you're desperate to prove me wrong on anything. I don't care if he is a 4 time All American. Fall reports mean very little if anything.  I see you showing videos of a kid dunking against air.  Big deal. We will know what we have when the lights come on. I hope everyone one of our kids has spectacular years. If you want to get excited about fall reports good for you.

It's not a typical "fall report".  It was a scrimmage against a top 5 team.

I agree, there is no pressure to "win" such a scrimmage, it's more about each team rotating through lineups to find what works and what doesn't.  That doesn't mean there is no value in observations about who stood out.  And, Derka is correct -- this guy has performed at a very high level with the lights on.  He's not some wet behind the ears blue chip that might fold in actual game situations.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I don't care if he is a 4 time All American. Fall reports mean very little if anything. 

october, 1982: "Reports say Ralph Sampson has looked great throughout summer and fall workouts."

greggym: i don't give a shit, until i see him do it next march it's all hearsay!!!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I know that you're desperate to prove me wrong on anything. I don't care if he is a 4 time All American. Fall reports mean very little if anything.  I see you showing videos of a kid dunking against air.  Big deal. We will know what we have when the lights come on. I hope everyone one of our kids has spectacular years. If you want to get excited about fall reports good for you.

Cool it Mack Brown. These are known commodities. It's not like we're talking about how Rowan Brumbaugh is going to be tearing shit up because he's practicing well.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not a typical "fall report".  It was a scrimmage against a top 5 team.

I agree, there is no pressure to "win" such a scrimmage, it's more about each team rotating through lineups to find what works and what doesn't.  That doesn't mean there is no value in observations about who stood out.  And, Derka is correct -- this guy has performed at a very high level with the lights on.  He's not some wet behind the ears blue chip that might fold in actual game situations.

Of course, there is value to having a scrimmage against another school. That's why you have a scrimmage.  And that's why info on fall workouts isn't that important. And you are correct that sometimes a scrimmage doesn't mean playing and running up and down the court for 20 minutes Quite often, each team will work on specific situations to see how they respond against kids in a different jersey. I hope this kid has a great year. I want to see how he fits in with the rest of his teammates and in a game and not practice. 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:43 AM, redshirtexas said:

Lulz. No. Rice is not a glue guy. The only glue guy on this team is Cunningham.

23 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, we won’t know if the sun rises in the east until the lights come on tomorrow morning.  I don’t care about your damn fall reports from the last 1,000,000 falls in a row!  If you want to get excited about that, then good for you you damn dirty hippie with your rock and roll music and sideburns!

How did you know that I was a dirty hippie with sideburns? You must have seen one of our fall practices in the dark ages.

A spokesman for Texas' basketball team was unable to provide information on why Longhorn Network would not show the game. When the game was revealed on Sept. 27, both schools announced it would be televised by Longhorn Network. 

A listing for the network now indicates it will re-air the Longhorns' 49-0 football victory over Oklahoma during the time of Saturday's basketball game. 

Boy I Really Hope Somebody Got Fired For That Under Nerd GIF ...

On 10/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, shadow_operative said:

october, 1982: "Reports say Ralph Sampson has looked great throughout summer and fall workouts."

greggym: i don't give a shit, until i see him do it next march it's all hearsay!!!

If you were alive little gooey, you were probably in the middle of being house and toilet trained so you probably don't know that Chaminade beat Ralph Sampson and he never won an NCAA hoops title so thanks for making my point as most of your posts do.

25 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

If you were alive little gooey, you were probably in the middle of being house and toilet trained so you probably don't know that Chaminade beat Ralph Sampson and he never won an NCAA hoops title so thanks for making my point as most of your posts do.

so you're saying ralph sampson was bad his senior year? yeah that tracks.

9785E57F-BA87-4191-93FF-356C804C2978.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 2

that's fucking ridiculous they're gonna bump probably the highest quality preseason game in the country (unless the Globetrotters are playing Duke somewhere secret) so that Bellmont can remind football season ticket holders, "See, things aren't so bad...'member when we beat OU by a lot?  We 'member!"???

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

so you're saying ralph sampson was bad his senior year? yeah that tracks.

9785E57F-BA87-4191-93FF-356C804C2978.jpeg

You're losing. You brought up Ralph Sampson trying   to be a smart ass and you failed. Where in all of this does it show winning an NCAA championship. BTW, little guy, I had season tickets to the Rockets every year that he was there, so I don't need you to tell me anything about Ralph. Just stick to telling us who the next hot 16-year-old player is.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

that's fucking ridiculous they're gonna bump probably the highest quality preseason game in the country (unless the Globetrotters are playing Duke somewhere secret) so that Bellmont can remind football season ticket holders, "See, things aren't so bad...'member when we beat OU by a lot?  We 'member!"???

It’s not a preseason game, it’s a scrimmage. I thought there was something in the rules that says scrimmages between D1 opponents can’t be televised. I’ll check when I get home.

Yeah, in college sports...I conflate preseason and scrimmage.  Sometimes preseason means any game "that counts" that's not a conference game.  Sometimes it means literally a game "that doesn't count" played prior to the regular season.  Everybody knows what preseason means in pro sports, but I've noticed writers and broadcasters still refer to non-conference games as "preseason" at some points.  But yes, to your point---exhibition/scrimmage games have typically been barred from broadcast (even radio), with the exception of intra-squad competitions.  But I assumed between NIL, the new Moody Center, and having our own network...we had sorted something out with Arkansas, NCAA, and the Mouse.  

But as with all things Longhorn...between all the money, all the shiny facilities, and the proprietary TV channel...we probably found a way to fuck it up.  

I love that GregOldGym seems to be arguing it was impossible to predict how good Ralph Sampson was right before his senior season.  The guy was a two-time Naismith Award winner at the time, and won it again that year.

Man, go take a walk or something.

Edited by jimmyjazz

30 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s not a preseason game, it’s a scrimmage. I thought there was something in the rules that says scrimmages between D1 opponents can’t be televised. I’ll check when I get home.

The NCAA be like “charity game? Oh hell no”

• Hook 'Em 1