2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I will throw a fucking party if Steve Sarklostagain pulls off 8 wins this season. That's the height of my fantasies. I just don't think the dude is a head coach.  If they exceed 8-4, drinks are on me for an hour at whatever spring game happy hour @immamac wants to set up.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't remember a Blue bet. Who did I make it with and for what amount?

Also, any fuckers thinking they're going to game the system order up Pappy or Johnny Walker Blue or some shit must live in fantasyland. I'll hedge my exposure, as I do understand what degenerates I'm dealing with here.

Yeah, you'll be the ultimate degenerate and stipulate that "drinks on me" actually meant body shots out of your navel.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BERT said:

Are you this big of a pussy in real life or do you just enjoy “fitting in” on the internets? 

My pussydom knows no bounds. Because of my drinking and the lack of anything else in my life, I do take college football too seriously. I am sorry this offends you. When we lose to crap teams I have a visceral reaction. I shouldn't - but I do. I have tried to even things out by caring about basketball or baseball but nothing happens. I can't make myself care for other college sports. So, I am a totally invested in football to a point where I may not be able to watch if my level of concern would cause me to move from brown liquor to schedule 1 drugs. Now, am I doing this to "fit in" on the internets? If I am, I'm not aware of it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

No amount. You promised your Surly family you would shit out a solid gold football and set yourself on fire if Blue is still on the team Spring Game 2023. 

We are headed to an recession so just trying to get that gold football versus having to invest my own money in the gold market. 

I already have a gold football. It's attached to a key ring, so we're good there. I might have set the bar a bit high saying that I'd set myself on fire. Normally when I make commitments like that it is set someone else on fire, like Derek Warehime or Drew Mehringer. If you can get either of them to the spring game, I am content with offering to douse them in lighter fluid and sling matches.

29 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Yeah, you'll be the ultimate degenerate and stipulate that "drinks on me" actually meant body shots out of your navel.

Who am I? Lincoln Riley? 

I'll keep it simple. Well and call drinks, whatever beer or wine. No hard seltzers because I have principles. 

• Haha 4

Just now, closetojumping said:

I already have a gold football. It's attached to a key ring, so we're good there. I might have set the bar a bit high saying that I'd set myself on fire. Normally when I make commitments like that it is set someone else on fire, like Derek Warehime or Drew Mehringer. If you can get either of them to the spring game, I am content with offering to douse them in lighter fluid and sling 

Ol Drew is up in the PNW so it might be a little easier to get Derek in town to be set on fire. Tho there is going to be a lot of disappointed Surly members who were looking forward to your personal bonfire. 

Just make sure you put your card that is on file for the drinks in a safe place before you start the fire, whether it’s you or Tom’s whole initial staff that is getting the burn. 

22 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

My pussydom knows no bounds. Because of my drinking and the lack of anything else in my life, I do take college football too seriously. I am sorry this offends you. When we lose to crap teams I have a visceral reaction. I shouldn't - but I do. I have tried to even things out by caring about basketball or baseball but nothing happens. I can't make myself care for other college sports. So, I am a totally invested in football to a point where I may not be able to watch if my level of concern would cause me to move from brown liquor to schedule 1 drugs. Now, am I doing this to "fit in" on the internets? If I am, I'm not aware of it. 

Fair enough. In that case, keep it up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

God that was painfully uninteresting. 

No.  It was delightful.  We are in good hands. 

"And popped the Aggies one time along the way?"  "Yah I did".

Edited by bmbmd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Codaxx said:

They return pretty much both lines. It is very good to break in essentially a brand new back 7. I would argue it is much harder to replace your secondary, than your DL. Safety is one of the tougher positions to start inexperience. The defense was the reason Baylor won the Big 12 and they driver of the that defense was the back end

Benard #1 in sacks (7.5), #2 in TFLS, #1 in tackles

Pitre Big 12 DPOY. #5 in sacks (3.5), #1 in TFLS (18.5), #3 in tackles

Woods was also drafted. #4 in tackles (FS 3rd round pick)

Lost Both CBs (Texada and Barnes 7 rnd and fastest player in the draft). 

I remember when we used to have our whole secondary drafted... Then refill with more draft picks.

Do you remember?

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I already have a gold football. It's attached to a key ring, so we're good there. I might have set the bar a bit high saying that I'd set myself on fire. Normally when I make commitments like that it is set someone else on fire, like Derek Warehime or Drew Mehringer. If you can get either of them to the spring game, I am content with offering to douse them in lighter fluid and sling matches.

Who am I? Lincoln Riley? 

I'll keep it simple. Well and call drinks, whatever beer or wine. No hard seltzers because I have principles. 

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Some offseason notes from FCB

Spoiler

Depth at cornerback is a legitimate concern, and that’s why Jaylon Guilbeau’s summer may be one of the most important storylines for the Texas defense.

“Guilbeau has had a phenomenal summer,” one team source told Horns247. “He’s probably had the best summer of any cornerback on the team. He works really hard and has been all business.”

Guilbeau might’ve been having the best spring of any cornerback, including getting first-team reps ahead of fifth-year senior D'Shawn Jamison at the field cornerback position, until he was suspended for violating team rules following the first week of spring.

According to the sources I spoke to this week, Guilbeau is back in good standing with UT coaches and will be full go for fall camp starting next Wednesday.

That’s huge news considering you had 6-foot-3 Ohio State transfer boundary cornerback Ryan Watts walk right into a starting role during the spring being backed up by true freshman Terrance Brooks.

(After watching Watts in the spring, former Longhorn and Pro Bowl safety Michael Griffin said on The Flagship Podcast, “Watts is a safety. You can line him up and call him a boundary corner. But he’s a safety.”)

At the field corner position, once Guilbeau was suspended, you had Jamison being backed up by sophomore Jamier Johnson.

“Jamison wasn’t getting pushed as hard once Guilbeau was suspended,” one team source said.

Guilbeau drew praise from former Texas cornerback Josh Thompson for his footwork and work ethic in the spring and told the Flagship Podcast, “Guilbeau’s a player to watch.”

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, Horns247, 247Sports)

We’ve written quite a bit about the quarterback competition involving Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers, including in The Insider published last week.

Some have asked about early enrollee freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy, who was here for spring ball but was still recovering from surgery to repair a broken ankle suffered as his team won a state championship in California.

Murphy has been getting third-team reps behind Card and Ewers during the limited practice time (two hours per week) that players can have with coaches during the summer.

I’ve written before about how Murphy has one of the biggest and most infectious personalities on the team, but it’s worth noting again because a source connected to the team told me Wednesday, “Players are drawn to the guy. He might be one of the most popular guys on the roster. And he carries himself like it’s his team without coming off as pompous at all.”

Multiple sources said Murphy is making strides in learning the offense and has a cannon arm while needing some fine-tuning on his accuracy. (Echoes of Vince Young’s early days at Texas.)

One source said they believe Murphy is now 6-foot-6.

“The guy is huge,” the source said. “Dude is put together.”

It’s no surprise that Murphy is likely to redshirt this season.

The most important nugget of this update is that multiple team sources said Murphy is loving being at UT, has great relationships with his teammates, is putting in the work and seems comfortable that he’s on a longer-term plan.

Here’s the bottom line: With Card and Ewers the clear top two quarterbacks on the roster right now, Murphy needs to keep developing to where he could be battling for the two-deep next season (especially if Arch Manning ends up redshirting in 2023).

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)

Side note: I’m hearing Card felt like he definitely outplayed Ewers in the spring, in large part, because Card had better command of the offense and took better care of the ball. Card, who is naturally quiet, has also tried to be more vocal, teammates say.

“He’s not remotely considering transferring at this point,” one source close to Card told Horns247 this week. “He’s in for the fight.”

If Ewers ends up winning the starting job and proves to have staying power under center, I believe Card will keep competing to be the guy all season — just like he did last year.

But Card will graduate from UT after this season. If he’s got options to play elsewhere, that’s when he might finally consider those options.

I mention that only to reinforce the importance of Murphy continuing to develop as a quarterback, because elite programs have two guys who can win games for you (kind of like when Shane Buechele came in for an injured Sam Ehlinger against Baylor and Iowa State in Texas’ 2018 Sugar Bowl season and delivered victories).

A couple sources have said Texas “seems too big” for redshirt freshman Charles Wright, UT’s other scholarship quarterback, who remains behind walk-on Ben Ballard. Wright, however, wants to get his degree from Texas, continues to work hard and hasn’t been deterred by his status, sources said.

UT will have five quarterbacks in camp: Card, Ewers, Murphy, Ben Ballard and Charles Wright.

Speaking of transfers, the NCAA’s Division I Council on athletics has flipped the transfer portal on its head by recommending student-athletes be allowed to transfer as many times as they want without having to sit out a year.

Just last summer, the NCAA approved a one-time transfer rule, allowing student-athletes to transfer one time without having to sit out. Any other subsequent transfers required the student-athlete to sit out a year.

Under the new proposal, athletes would need to be academically eligible and would have a total of 60 calendar days to provide written notification of a transfer.

Fall student-athletes would have a 45-day window following their sports' championship selection (for football in the 2022 season, the window would run from Dec. 5 to Jan. 18) and another 15-day window from May 1 to May 15.

The Division I Board of Directors' vote to approve the recommendations is set for Aug. 3.

I can tell you UT officials are already operating as if the new, unlimited transfer rule is in place.

“You’ve gotta keep recruiting your players — every day,” one team source said. “If you’ve got a good relationship with your guys, that comes naturally.

“It gets a little trickier in the age of NIL, obviously. But it is what is. Like Sark (Steve Sarkisian) says, ‘Adapt or perish — like the dinosaurs.’”

• Hook 'Em 2

Speaking of transfers, the NCAA’s Division I Council on athletics has flipped the transfer portal on its head by recommending student-athletes be allowed to transfer as many times as they want without having to sit out a year.

Jesus the NCAA is trying to burn it all to the ground after the NIL ruling went against them. 

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

at the Burnt Ends lunch the guys were very clear that this years team is much different from an athleticism standpoint and that is one of the things they are most excited about. Not going to say who gave the quote, but a quote "The scheme is totally different this year because we actually have people who can play, last season we didn't have the athletes to do what we are doing this year"

they were also very clear about EDGE and LB being totally different people and these new people being "much harder to block"

was this about offense or defense? (or both?)

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

"The scheme is totally different this year because we actually have people who can play"    EDGE and LB being totally different people   "much harder to block"

winona-ryder-gif-1501001790.gif?crop=1xw

Edited by LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB said he's hearing Patterson will be up in the booth with PK on gamedays.

This isn't too dissimilar to the setup that Georgia had last season with Muschamp as an analyst. People keep saying they cant recall a situation like this, except it just happened last year with the national champions. 

• Hook 'Em 5

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

at the Burnt Ends lunch the guys were very clear that this years team is much different from an athleticism standpoint and that is one of the things they are most excited about. Not going to say who gave the quote, but a quote "The scheme is totally different this year because we actually have people who can play, last season we didn't have the athletes to do what we are doing this year"

they were also very clear about EDGE and LB being totally different people and these new people being "much harder to block"

SHOW ME A FUCKING LOSS!!!! Choo choo motherfuckers!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vertigo said:

This isn't too dissimilar to the setup that Georgia had last season with Muschamp as an analyst. People keep saying they cant recall a situation like this, except it just happened last year with the national champions. 

Didn't Muschamp become one of the 10 "on-field" assistants after Scott Cochran took his leave of absence? I think that happened before the season began. But yes, I see the overlap you are talking about. 

14 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some offseason notes from FCB

Hide contents

Depth at cornerback is a legitimate concern, and that’s why Jaylon Guilbeau’s summer may be one of the most important storylines for the Texas defense.

“Guilbeau has had a phenomenal summer,” one team source told Horns247. “He’s probably had the best summer of any cornerback on the team. He works really hard and has been all business.”

Guilbeau might’ve been having the best spring of any cornerback, including getting first-team reps ahead of fifth-year senior D'Shawn Jamison at the field cornerback position, until he was suspended for violating team rules following the first week of spring.

According to the sources I spoke to this week, Guilbeau is back in good standing with UT coaches and will be full go for fall camp starting next Wednesday.

That’s huge news considering you had 6-foot-3 Ohio State transfer boundary cornerback Ryan Watts walk right into a starting role during the spring being backed up by true freshman Terrance Brooks.

(After watching Watts in the spring, former Longhorn and Pro Bowl safety Michael Griffin said on The Flagship Podcast, “Watts is a safety. You can line him up and call him a boundary corner. But he’s a safety.”)

At the field corner position, once Guilbeau was suspended, you had Jamison being backed up by sophomore Jamier Johnson.

“Jamison wasn’t getting pushed as hard once Guilbeau was suspended,” one team source said.

Guilbeau drew praise from former Texas cornerback Josh Thompson for his footwork and work ethic in the spring and told the Flagship Podcast, “Guilbeau’s a player to watch.”

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, Horns247, 247Sports)

We’ve written quite a bit about the quarterback competition involving Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers, including in The Insider published last week.

Some have asked about early enrollee freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy, who was here for spring ball but was still recovering from surgery to repair a broken ankle suffered as his team won a state championship in California.

Murphy has been getting third-team reps behind Card and Ewers during the limited practice time (two hours per week) that players can have with coaches during the summer.

I’ve written before about how Murphy has one of the biggest and most infectious personalities on the team, but it’s worth noting again because a source connected to the team told me Wednesday, “Players are drawn to the guy. He might be one of the most popular guys on the roster. And he carries himself like it’s his team without coming off as pompous at all.”

Multiple sources said Murphy is making strides in learning the offense and has a cannon arm while needing some fine-tuning on his accuracy. (Echoes of Vince Young’s early days at Texas.)

One source said they believe Murphy is now 6-foot-6.

“The guy is huge,” the source said. “Dude is put together.”

It’s no surprise that Murphy is likely to redshirt this season.

The most important nugget of this update is that multiple team sources said Murphy is loving being at UT, has great relationships with his teammates, is putting in the work and seems comfortable that he’s on a longer-term plan.

Here’s the bottom line: With Card and Ewers the clear top two quarterbacks on the roster right now, Murphy needs to keep developing to where he could be battling for the two-deep next season (especially if Arch Manning ends up redshirting in 2023).

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)

Side note: I’m hearing Card felt like he definitely outplayed Ewers in the spring, in large part, because Card had better command of the offense and took better care of the ball. Card, who is naturally quiet, has also tried to be more vocal, teammates say.

“He’s not remotely considering transferring at this point,” one source close to Card told Horns247 this week. “He’s in for the fight.”

If Ewers ends up winning the starting job and proves to have staying power under center, I believe Card will keep competing to be the guy all season — just like he did last year.

But Card will graduate from UT after this season. If he’s got options to play elsewhere, that’s when he might finally consider those options.

I mention that only to reinforce the importance of Murphy continuing to develop as a quarterback, because elite programs have two guys who can win games for you (kind of like when Shane Buechele came in for an injured Sam Ehlinger against Baylor and Iowa State in Texas’ 2018 Sugar Bowl season and delivered victories).

A couple sources have said Texas “seems too big” for redshirt freshman Charles Wright, UT’s other scholarship quarterback, who remains behind walk-on Ben Ballard. Wright, however, wants to get his degree from Texas, continues to work hard and hasn’t been deterred by his status, sources said.

UT will have five quarterbacks in camp: Card, Ewers, Murphy, Ben Ballard and Charles Wright.

Speaking of transfers, the NCAA’s Division I Council on athletics has flipped the transfer portal on its head by recommending student-athletes be allowed to transfer as many times as they want without having to sit out a year.

Just last summer, the NCAA approved a one-time transfer rule, allowing student-athletes to transfer one time without having to sit out. Any other subsequent transfers required the student-athlete to sit out a year.

Under the new proposal, athletes would need to be academically eligible and would have a total of 60 calendar days to provide written notification of a transfer.

Fall student-athletes would have a 45-day window following their sports' championship selection (for football in the 2022 season, the window would run from Dec. 5 to Jan. 18) and another 15-day window from May 1 to May 15.

The Division I Board of Directors' vote to approve the recommendations is set for Aug. 3.

I can tell you UT officials are already operating as if the new, unlimited transfer rule is in place.

“You’ve gotta keep recruiting your players — every day,” one team source said. “If you’ve got a good relationship with your guys, that comes naturally.

“It gets a little trickier in the age of NIL, obviously. But it is what is. Like Sark (Steve Sarkisian) says, ‘Adapt or perish — like the dinosaurs.’”

That has been my worry. They are playing the best CB (Barron) at Nickel and mayeb the best fit at Nickel at CB

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The setup isn’t that weird, but the circumstances are way different. Coming off one of the worst defenses of all time it looks like we hired Pat to look over PK’s shoulder because he may or may not know what the fuck he’s doing. GA bringing Muschamp in as an overqualified analyst last season was obviously not that. 

Of course, I don’t really give a shit what it looks like if it works. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That has been my worry. They are playing the best CB (Barron) at Nickel and mayeb the best fit at Nickel at CB

I feel the exact same. To go further I wish we played Watts at safety and Crawford at corner. 

But the coaches want the best corner in the slot cause that’s where a lot of teams try to attack with their quickest WR. Watts at corner is because PK likes corners with length to play his version of cover 3. Also why Guilbeau was pushing Jamison so much in the spring. They want corners with length. 

20 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I feel the exact same. To go further I wish we played Watts at safety and Crawford at corner. 

But the coaches want the best corner in the slot cause that’s where a lot of teams try to attack with their quickest WR. Watts at corner is because PK likes corners with length to play his version of cover 3. Also why Guilbeau was pushing Jamison so much in the spring. They want corners with length. 

I think Crawford to safety was the right move.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think Crawford to safety was the right move.

At first I was confused by it, but then Satya posted the gif of Caleb Williams gashing our D for a 67 yard run due to not one, but two shitty attempts by our safeties to tackle him. Kitan, welcome to the safety room!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TankedBevo said:

At first I was confused by it, but then Satya posted the gif of Caleb Williams gashing our D for a 67 yard run due to not one, but two shitty attempts by our safeties to tackle him. Kitan, welcome to the safety room!

He's athletic as hell but I don't think he has the ideal length we want in a corner, as @FreeHorn referenced. He will be able to do a lot more damage as a safety.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He's athletic as hell but I don't think he has the ideal length we want in a corner, as @FreeHorn referenced. He will be able to do a lot more damage as a safety.

Man I hope so. The thought of Jerin Thompson starting again this year worries me. People talk about Foster’s play last year but Thompson was pretty terrible too. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761153b65dc964f80f454f

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I am not sure what we are doing at corner. Sark has talked about getting up on WRs and playing more man, so I am bit skeptical about Watts and Jamison on islands.  

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

This, he wants Richard Sherman on the outside playing Legion Of Boom style cover 3. Watts is a great fit for that provided he can hold up in press man. 

49 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I think Crawford wins the job in fall camp provided he can grasp the defense. Jerrin Thompson is just not nearly as athletic or big as Crawford. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This, he wants Richard Sherman on the outside playing Legion Of Boom style cover 3. Watts is a great fit for that provided he can hold up in press man. 

That makes perfect sense until you look at the other corner and it’s a 5’9 Jamison. 

• Haha 1