Predict your Republican neighbor's rationalization of the 7 hours of missing calls on Trumps Jan 6th Insurrection Afternoon?

horn4life

I would actually be VERY CURIOUS to know what a Republican that doesn't support Trump look like?   What rationalizations are made daily, to still call yourself a Republican and yet "Hate" Trump.

The logical part of my brain says - If half the GOP can pretend that wholesale lies about a stolen election are true. Then it's not really a huge leap to think that the other half of the Republican party can rationalize some imaginary policies or even more imaginary principles that can trump Trump.

20 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

My circle is virtually all Republican and I’ve yet to hear anyone even bring January 6th up at all. Hell, Trump hardly comes up anymore. 

Well I wouldn't want to talk about my party's candidate trying to overthrow American democracy either.  Not a surprise at all it never comes up.  As to discuss it would make all the other rationalizations more and more uncomfortable.  Much better to never address.  Just pretend it never happened.  Pretend my support did not almost destroy the American democratic system of government.

Most dad's don't want to talk about catching their daughter's sucking dick.  Doesn't mean he didn't catch her sucking cock, just that he doesn't like to talk about it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't think Porterhouse is trolling.  His views pretty much match mine around the 2016 timeframe.  However, I've moved past that and recognize it's not enough to be against Trump/ism, you have to be actively for their adversaries....which are Dems.

I don't agree with a LOT of what Dems do but, fuck, anything they do that I don't like fucking pales in comparison to attempting to overthrow our democracy and worshiping the dumbest, most evil fuck we've ever had as POTUS.

Yeah, there are probably quite a few like that.  They still believe that the GOP is the party of small(er) government and fiscal responsibility and are good for business (they are, but probably not your business unless you're c-suite in a F500 or a billionaire), and low taxes.

Because they are not paying attention.

Similarly, they are disgusted with what little they know of Trump, but aren't fully engaged with the debasement of the rest of the GOP.

They aren't Fox people; they're not brainwashed. Note that Porterhouse, who people would love to pile onto if he did it, generally doesn't come into any topic spouting the latest right wing talking points from Fox or wherever they get them.

They just aren't paying attention.

And a fair number of them will not vote or just vote straight ticket despite Trump.

You could go on and on, but the key thing is, they're just not paying attention.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Continuing to call it an insurrection doesn't make it one. The bottom line is this: Nobody gives a fuck and has forgotten about it, except for leftists hoping to score political points. 

Attempts to overthrow the government and murder people respecting the rule of law and oppositional party members is an insurrection.  I take it you approved?

The only people who don't give a shit are those treasonous fuckheads who committed or supported this and continue to do so.   How would you feel, if the country elected Trump and well, a group of armed people murdered some cops broke in and exercised our freedum on all oppositional political party members because we are smart enough to do it without resorting to a Lego Capitol Building as a guide for blueprints?    

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Continuing to call it an insurrection doesn't make it one. The bottom line is this: Nobody gives a fuck and has forgotten about it, except for leftists hoping to score political points. 

Fuck this noise. The only people who have "forgotten about it" are the fucking treasonous assholes who are desperately trying to sweep under the rug the fact that thousands of citizens marched at the capitol to protest the results of a fairly won election. Hundreds forced their way inside, attacking police officers in the process, in an attempt to forcibly overthrow the election results. And oh yeah, their actions were fomented by the president who lost the election and abetted by dozens of sitting senators and congressman plus a supreme court justice.

Fuck your revisionist history. Traitors to this country should be in jail or swinging from a gallows, not making guest appearances on Tucker Carlson. Negged for your supporting these assholes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

How would you describe it?  If a Presidential candidate refuses to abide by the results of a fair election, then he encourages his supporters to stop the certification of those results by any means necessary and those supporters commit violence, what's a better term than insurrection?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

So you prefer Coup?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bojack said:

How would you describe it?  If a Presidential candidate refuses to abide by the results of a fair election, then he encourages his supporters to stop the certification of those results by any means necessary and those supporters commit violence, what's a better term than insurrection?

B/c it "was Anitifa", or if it was trump supporters, they were just peacefully assembling and taking self-guided tours of the Capitol. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

B/c it "was Anitifa", or if it was trump supporters, they were just peacefully assembling and taking self-guided tours of the Capitol. 

I'm actually hoping he answers but I know it's very unlikely.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

In February of this year, Mitch McConnell called it an insurrection.  So did Kevin McCarthy.  As have other currently elected members of the House and Senate.  

In other words, there are GOP members calling it one.  So you are full of fucking shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

I would actually be VERY CURIOUS to know what a Republican that doesn't support Trump look like?   What rationalizations are made daily, to still call yourself a Republican and yet "Hate" Trump.

The logical part of my brain says - If half the GOP can pretend that wholesale lies about a stolen election are true. Then it's not really a huge leap to think that the other half of the Republican party can rationalize some imaginary policies or even more imaginary principles that can trump Trump.

It's pretty easy to think you're on the "right side" when you're convinced that Democrats let cities burn for a full year, want to punish cops while crime skyrockets, want to keep businesses locked down and their consumers masked up forever, and want to censor free speech and teach elementary kids to hate white people and embrace the joys of changing genders. Without even getting into the tax/economy perceptions that always blindly favor Republicans. You don't even have to be a Fox News zombie to believe some/all of those things. Democrats are shit at marketing, and Republicans are awesome at playing on emotions. What's a little insurrection when liberals are trying to end America as we know it???

I have quite a few otherwise rational friends who have fallen into the "censorship is the worst thing imaginable" bubble, and are worried the Democrats and "Globalists" are conspiring to control all speech.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Well I wouldn't want to talk about my party's candidate trying to overthrow American democracy either.  Not a surprise at all it never comes up.  As to discuss it would make all the other rationalizations more and more uncomfortable.  Much better to never address.  Just pretend it never happened.  Pretend my support did not almost destroy the American democratic system of government.

Most dad's don't want to talk about catching their daughter's sucking dick.  Doesn't mean he didn't catch her sucking cock, just that he doesn't like to talk about it.

Damn, dude. Sorry about your daughter. That’s really fucked up. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Looks like this thread needs a new "scandal."

Official review of Trump phone logs from January 6 finds record is complete

Come on.  Yeah it's complete because it is compiled by employees of the National Archives, not Trump appointees.

It's complete because Trump deliberately withheld information from those employees.  And actively sought to hide his actions from scrutiny.

It also happens that there are some serious flaws in the way that information is collected.

16 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Looks like this thread needs a new "scandal."

Official review of Trump phone logs from January 6 finds record is complete

Already posted on the previous page. Try to keep up.

“No explanation has been given so far why calls known to have been made in the hours Trump was in the Oval Office are not documented in the presidential diary.”

”A Senate Intelligence report from 2020 includes witness testimony from former aides saying that Trump regularly used the cellphone of his body man, Keith Schiller, to place calls to Republican operative Roger Stone because he did not want his to advisers to know they were talking. 

‘Trump hated people knowing who he spoke to, including from the residence at night when they went through the switchboard,’ one former Trump official told CNN.”

Least transparent administration ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's treason then. 

Go fuck yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't give a shit about political points. I give a shit that so many people were so easy to trick and willing to literally fight for a blatant liar. While millions more sat at home and cheered them on and have spent the next year trying to downplay it. I'm for punishing those who used their offices to give credence to obvious and knowing lies to the detriment of Democracy moving forward.

I've asked this question to a dozen of my Republican voting friends and have yet to get a straight answer: what happens if the Democrat candidate wins on election day 2024 in a close race? And, if your answer is anything other than "a normal inauguration and transition of power" doesn't that bother you?

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

Pull your head out of your ass.  Just because you don't hear about 1/6 in your Echo Chamber of Bullshit doesn't mean "Nobody gives a fuck."  This board is full of former self-identifying Republicans who don't mainline Fox News and know that the GOP has gone completely off the rails and 1/6 is a big fucking shit stain on our democracy.

I have run into quite a few people like @Porterhouse in my professional circle who know that the GOP is an embarrassment, 1/6 was a BFD, Trump is a buffoon, etc. but still vote only in their financial interest.  They can't bring themselves to support candidates who might raise their taxes or be hostile to the industry that butters their bread.   It's shameful, but it's better than dullards like Struggle who don't see the problem with a little lite treason out of their party leaders if it means they can maintain their grip on power. 

Baby steps, amirite?

That's what I meant to say. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Pull your head out of your ass.  Just because you don't hear about 1/6 in your Echo Chamber of Bullshit doesn't mean "Nobody gives a fuck."  This board is full of former self-identifying Republicans who don't mainline Fox News and know that the GOP has gone completely off the rails and 1/6 is a big fucking shit stain on our democracy.

I have run into quite a few people like @Porterhouse in my professional circle who know that the GOP is an embarrassment, 1/6 was a BFD, Trump is a buffoon, etc. but still vote only in their financial interest.  They can't bring themselves to support candidates who might raise their taxes or be hostile to the industry that butters their bread.   It's shameful, but it's better than dullards like Struggle who don't see the problem with a little lite treason out of their party leaders if it means they can maintain their grip on power. 

Baby steps, amirite?

A Democratic President is always good for my industry. I will vote in my financial interest though (tax). So I’ve got @TwiceHorn and others calling me “not a patriot” and similar things, and I gotta tell you, I’ve never considered the possibility of Trump running in ‘24. It won’t happen. He’ll be barred from doing so, assassinated or primaried. If presented with Biden or Trump in ‘24, I’ll run to the polls and vote Biden. If he makes it through the primary, I’ll be done with the Republican Party. 

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

A Democratic President is always good for my industry. I will vote in my financial interest though (tax). So I’ve got @TwiceHorn and others calling me “not a patriot” and similar things, and I gotta tell you, I’ve never considered the possibility of Trump running in ‘24. It won’t happen. He’ll be barred from doing so, assassinated or primaried. If presented with Biden or Trump in ‘24, I’ll run to the polls and vote Biden. If he makes it through the primary, I’ll be done with the Republican Party. 

If he does run, and wins a primary, which is not at all outside the realm of possibility, I will continue to insist that your failure to vote against him renders you unpatriotic.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

THAT will be the final straw, huh?

I’m not convinced the party has been hijacked. If it has I’m gone. Again, the first time I actually thought he’d run in ‘24 was when the possibility was presented in this thread. He’s more likely to be dead then. 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

If he does run, and wins a primary, which is not at all outside the realm of possibility, I will continue to insist that your failure to vote against him renders you unpatriotic.

Did you not read my fucking post?

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Well, no.  He'll vote for Trump in the General, but then he's totally done with him.

?  I’ve never voted for trump in my life in anything. 

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

*Attenborough voice* Here we see the Trumpist displaying his iconic twin defense mechanisms in the wild. First, the denial of the obvious completely disconnected from any need to show how he arrived to a point rendering him incapable of processing reality. Then, the projection- engaging in the very act of his accusation driven by the belief that one can state reality into existence despite the statement being demonstrably false. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Nobody who lived in Dachau talked about what was going on in the camp nearby.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I will vote in my financial interest though (tax).

I'd even argue that the aims of the current GOP are not even in your financial interest.  If 2024 is close and the Raffensperger type GOP leaders don't hold the line and actually do overturn the election this time, the damage to the country/economy/oil prices will make you wish you'd opted for the higher taxes option.  The populist version of your party will still be doing stupid shit like boneheaded releases from the SPR, but at least they'll have more 'murican flag lapel pins I guess?

10 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not convinced the party has been hijacked.

Surely you don't actually believe this?  Did you watch TV at all during the latest round of primary commercials!?  Republicans at every level of government in TX were blasting out how they were Trump's preferred candidate.  And it's not just the GQP crazies like that gremplin Huffines, it was the supposedly sane candidates too.  In a sane party, attaching yourself to TFG who instigated 1/6 would be something you would avoid like the plague as a candidate, not plaster all over your mailers and the airwaves.  Right?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I'd even argue that the aims of the current GOP are not even in your financial interest.  If 2024 is close and the Raffensperger type GOP leaders don't hold the line and actually do overturn the election this time, the damage to the country/economy/oil prices will make you wish you'd opted for the higher taxes option.  The populist version of your party will still be doing stupid shit like boneheaded releases from the SPR, but at least they'll have more 'murican flag lapel pins I guess?

Surely you don't actually believe this?  Did you watch TV at all during the latest round of primary commercials!?  Republicans at every level of government in TX were blasting out how they were Trump's preferred candidate.  And it's not just the GQP crazies like that gremplin Huffines, it was the supposedly sane candidates too.  In a sane party, attaching yourself to TFG who instigated 1/6 would be something you would avoid like the plague as a candidate, not plaster all over your mailers and the airwaves.  Right?

First paragraph, again, did you even read my post?  I know TwiceHorn didn’t. And are you really trying to talk about boneheaded SPR releases. 

Second paragraph, I don’t pay attention. Maybe I should. 

Not sure why I'm even bothering, but I'd direct any person who still supports the GOP to pages 3-12 ("FACTS") of Judge David Carter's opinion in Eastman v. Thompson. None of this is new info, but it does perhaps the best job laying out the crimes committed by Trump and Eastman (and supported by the majority of the GOP) in a easy-to-follow narrative. I'm not sure how you can read this and conclude that this was harmless cosplay.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.841840/gov.uscourts.cacd.841840.260.0.pdf

And @Porterhousehttps://www.npr.org/2022/02/04/1078316505/rnc-censure-liz-cheney-adam-kinzinger-jan-6-committee-capitol

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Must be fuckin' nice to be able to go through life ignoring politics. 

You should try it sometime. And on that note:

image.gif.42df3cde06bf74e18f14999663a63583.gif

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

First paragraph, again, did you even read my post?  I know TwiceHorn didn’t. And are you really trying to talk about boneheaded SPR releases.

I guess it read to me like you contradicted yourself - you'll vote in your financial interest (tax), but you'll vote for Biden over Trump. Sorry if I misinterpreted that to mean you would continue to vote for the GOP for everything except for POTUS.

And yea, when the leader of your party authorized a release from the SPR when oil was at SixtyfuckingOne dollars, I think it's germane to the conversation about which party is in your best financial interest.  The current populists in the GOP will do everything they can to keep oil prices low.  But their rhetoric would be more friendly to the industry, no doubt.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/15/trump-says-he-has-authorized-release-of-oil-from-strategic-petroleum-reserve-if-needed-after-saudi-attacks.html

20 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Second paragraph, I don’t pay attention. Maybe I should. 

Kobe Bryant Eye Roll GIF

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

And there it is. You can shit on our democracy and established laws and customs, promote lies & conspiracy theories causing hundreds of thousands of people to die needlessly, repress gay people/poor people/immigrants etc... just keep my taxes low. Daddy needs a new f-250 to drive to the office. At least he's honest about his complete disregard for the well being of the country, as long as he's a little richer at the end of the day. In that regard, he's the ideal republican. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I guess it read to me like you contradicted yourself - you'll vote in your financial interest (tax), but you'll vote for Biden over Trump. Sorry if I misinterpreted that to mean you would continue to vote for the GOP for everything except for POTUS.

And yea, when the leader of your party authorized a release from the SPR when oil was at SixtyfuckingOne dollars, I think it's germane to the conversation about which party is in your best financial interest.  The current populists in the GOP will do everything they can to keep oil prices low.  But their rhetoric would be more friendly to the industry, no doubt.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/15/trump-says-he-has-authorized-release-of-oil-from-strategic-petroleum-reserve-if-needed-after-saudi-attacks.html

Kobe Bryant Eye Roll GIF

I didnt say anything other than a) I tend to vote in my financial interest, b) Dem President is good for industry, generally always, because of stupid shit they do, c) I hadn’t considered the possibility that Trump would run in ‘24, d) now that I have I definitely would actively vote against him. 

What Trump did with SPR was inexcusable. What Biden is doing is also inexcusable given WWIII is in play. 

48 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Contender for most out-of-touch post of the year.

In your world. In my world, tribalism manifesting itself in belittling others makes me roll my eyes and walk away. It’s the entire reason I’m apolitical because you see it on both sides. Given my disgust and apparent blissful ignorance, you could have a better recruitment effort, but that wouldn’t be entertaining, would it?

26 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Too dumb to understand her point?

21 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

james corden GIF by Tony Awards

Really?  Because I actively CHOOSE to stay away?

13 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And there it is. You can shit on our democracy and established laws and customs, promote lies & conspiracy theories causing hundreds of thousands of people to die needlessly, repress gay people/poor people/immigrants etc... just keep my taxes low. Daddy needs a new f-250 to drive to the office. At least he's honest about his complete disregard for the well being of the country, as long as he's a little richer at the end of the day. In that regard, he's the ideal republican. 

Pretty much but I’m coming around on my line of thinking.