Predict your Republican neighbor's rationalization of the 7 hours of missing calls on Trumps Jan 6th Insurrection Afternoon?

horn4life

8 hours ago, horn4life said:

I am just curious on how your "principled," American (flag pin wearing, flying, or bumper sticker), freedom loving neighbor will justify not having ANY fucking calls from Trump in his taxpayer funded home to ANYONE as the insurrection raged.  How do you OFFICIALLY as a third branch of government put forth a document with no calls for 7 hours as the riot turned insurrection raged with a straight face?

What the fuck is the answer?  I sort of think the most common rationalization will be, "Well... how can you say he was doing anything wrong without knowing who he called?"

What do you guys think will become popular? I haven't seen Fox today so I don't know what the propaganda tool has decided upon yet, but I personally am going to ask every single Republican going forward, what they think about it?  Mainly because I want to hear what asinine rationalizations they come up with for to protect their misinformed snowflake psyches.

He was shitting out a McDouble? 

8 hours ago, horn4life said:

I am just curious on how your "principled," American (flag pin wearing, flying, or bumper sticker), freedom loving neighbor will justify not having ANY fucking calls from Trump in his taxpayer funded home to ANYONE as the insurrection raged.  How do you OFFICIALLY as a third branch of government put forth a document with no calls for 7 hours as the riot turned insurrection raged with a straight face?

What the fuck is the answer?  I sort of think the most common rationalization will be, "Well... how can you say he was doing anything wrong without knowing who he called?"

What do you guys think will become popular? I haven't seen Fox today so I don't know what the propaganda tool has decided upon yet, but I personally am going to ask every single Republican going forward, what they think about it?  Mainly because I want to hear what asinine rationalizations they come up with for to protect their misinformed snowflake psyches.

"Battery died and no one had a charger."

"Where did you hear that, the mainstream media?  Don't believe it.  It is not on Fox news so it isn't true."

I actually head this last Saturday, "I watch Tucker Carlson every night and he has never said he supports Putin."

Edited by TexasEd

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

"Where did you hear that, the mainstream media?  Don't believe it.  It is not on Fox news so it isn't true."

I actually head this last Saturday, "I watch Tucker Carlson every night and he has never said he supports Putin."

"and why shouldn't I root for Russia, which I am."  Tucker Carlson

After a commercial break and some time to think about how stupid it was to admit that, he said later he was "joking" and only rooting for "Amerika". 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

I just dropped my 80-year-old mother off at the airport after her being here since Saturday. Never did I ever think my paleo-conservative father was the moderating influence in their household. Having left work early yesterday and getting home at about 5pm, she goes into a tirade as soon as I get home:

Her: The news you watch was "just viciously mocking your former president, because he said he made a hole-in-one.

(To be clear, I haven't had cable since 2009.)

Me: "What news were you watching? It's only 5pm?"

Her: "I don't know, but those news people were making fun of him."

Me: "Well, Mom, I can't speak to what you've been watching, but do you really believe an old, fat man in his mid-70s could do that? I have my doubts."

Her: "Doubts, but they were saying he was lying! And they were laughing about it!"

Me: "You know, there was some golf writer guy who wrote an article several years ago about Trump being a notorious cheat at golf, and you know very well I think he's a compulsive liar. But are you sure you were really watching the news and not some tabloid entertainment thing like Entertainment Tonight or TMZ?"

(To be even clearer, I don't watch ET or TMZ.)

Her: "TMZ... I know I get my news from a biased source, but at least FOX has respect for the President and would never make fun of him."

Me: "You don't remember FOX going on for weeks about Obama ordering spicy mustard, wearing a tan suit, saluting a Marine with a coffee cup in his had, or putting his feet on the desk? I hope you're getting news from somewhere other than just FOX."

Her: A moment of silence. Then, "No, I only watch FOX now. Where do you get your news?"

Me: "TV news? PBS News Hour. It's straight reporting and minimizes all the opinion shouting garbage."

Her: "What channel is that on?"

Me: PBS.

After that, I just had to walk out of the room instead of going on about her choosing to brainwash herself with propaganda. Fucking lost cause.

My parents used to religiously watch CBS News every night (they switched about 20 years ago because ABC had become "too liberal.") I don't recall them ever watching Tucker Carlson when I visited though, but she's been mentioning him every so often over the last year.

I feel she's been slipping some mentally anyway with some short-term memory loss and getting easily confused on other stuff, so there's no helping her. She's going to start transitioning into moving in with my sister in Denver this summer, so I'm hoping some of this will change but am skeptical.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

That's pretty fucked up.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. My dad was always serious about his news when I grew up and would angrily shush the whole dinner table so he could hear Peter Jennings give the report, but my parents gave up on ABC when he died and fully converted to CBS once Dan Rather retired.

I'm just grateful my mom is a technophobe and never got on Facebook. It's no exaggeration that she calls me up a couple of times a week to google someone's phone number for her. She considers it some magical skill, and I'm happy for her to think that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I just dropped my 80-year-old mother off at the airport after her being here since Saturday. Never did I ever think my paleo-conservative father was the moderating influence in their household. Having left work early yesterday and getting home at about 5pm, she goes into a tirade as soon as I get home:

Her: The news you watch was "just viciously mocking your former president, because he said he made a hole-in-one.

(To be clear, I haven't had cable since 2009.)

Me: "What news were you watching? It's only 5pm?"

Her: "I don't know, but those news people were making fun of him."

Me: "Well, Mom, I can't speak to what you've been watching, but do you really believe an old, fat man in his mid-70s could do that? I have my doubts."

Her: "Doubts, but they were saying he was lying! And they were laughing about it!"

Me: "You know, there was some golf writer guy who wrote an article several years ago about Trump being a notorious cheat at golf, and you know very well I think he's a compulsive liar. But are you sure you were really watching the news and not some tabloid entertainment thing like Entertainment Tonight or TMZ?"

(To be even clearer, I don't watch ET or TMZ.)

Her: "TMZ... I know I get my news from a biased source, but at least FOX has respect for the President and would never make fun of him."

Me: "You don't remember FOX going on for weeks about Obama ordering spicy mustard, wearing a tan suit, saluting a Marine with a coffee cup in his had, or putting his feet on the desk? I hope you're getting news from somewhere other than just FOX."

Her: A moment of silence. Then, "No, I only watch FOX now. Where do you get your news?"

Me: "TV news? PBS News Hour. It's straight reporting and minimizes all the opinion shouting garbage."

Her: "What channel is that on?"

Me: PBS.

After that, I just had to walk out of the room instead of going on about her choosing to brainwash herself with propaganda. Fucking lost cause.

My parents used to religiously watch CBS News every night (they switched about 20 years ago because ABC had become "too liberal.") I don't recall them ever watching Tucker Carlson when I visited though, but she's been mentioning him every so often over the last year.

I feel she's been slipping some mentally anyway with some short-term memory loss and getting easily confused on other stuff, so there's no helping her. She's going to start transitioning into moving in with my sister in Denver this summer, so I'm hoping some of this will change but am skeptical.

Good luck man. I'm in the same boat and just want my mother to have some peace. It's too late to change minds I feel.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Walser said:

Good luck man. I'm in the same boat and just want my mother to have some peace. It's too late to change minds I feel.

I don't know, I've considered telling my mom I'm cutting ties with her if they vote for Paxton again (confident they've voted for him more than once, based on their unquestioning R loyalty). Shit that he's doing has a direct, negative impact on my nuclear family... but my folks probably either don't think about that or just don't care enough.

"Trump was so focused on de-escalating the situation, that he didn't have time for calls or tweets.  He was meeting with National Guard, Capitol Police leadership, and his National Security team that he probably didn't even have his phone anywhere near him.  I mean, sure there'd be landline records of the Oval Office phone, and other secure White House lines.  But that's not important right now."  
I mean, if Trump was truly serious about the storming of the Capitol, he would of gassed the protesters and walked over to the rotunda while awkwardly holding a bible upsidedown for a photoshoot.

Maybe I hang around different people but I don’t hear any of my friends rationalizing this. We are (nearly) all Republican and all hate Trump. 

Just now, Porterhouse said:

Maybe I hang around different people but I don’t hear any of my friends rationalizing this. We are (nearly) all Republican and all hate Trump. 

but yall still vote for Cruz and Cornyn and everyone else who enabled trump's worst impulses. Not to mention voting for trump as well.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

but yall still vote for Cruz and Cornyn and everyone else who enabled trump's worst impulses. Not to mention voting for trump as well.

Exactly. If you hate Trump, Porterhouse, you support what you hate with every GOP vote at this point. I don't know your political position, but that's what you're doing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You hang out with a bunch of republicans who hate Trump? Statistically isn't that pretty much all of them?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

My circle is virtually all Republican and I’ve yet to hear anyone even bring January 6th up at all. Hell, Trump hardly comes up anymore. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

The "I'm a Republican and I hate Trump" is the new version of "I'm socially liberal but fiscally conservative" 

But what if I'm a Republican who didn't vote for Trump and have a Black friend and a gay cousin?

I think Matt Dowd said it best.  Something to the effect of how at parties, you always meet people who say "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" and you'll sometimes find somebody honest that says "socially and fiscally conservative" or "socially and fiscally liberal"...but you never meet anyone who says, "socially conservative, fiscally liberal" but that's in fact what most of the GOP is these days.  But you never one, kinda like you never meet a Trump voter.  Yet they comprise 35 out of 100 adults, in Texas amongst this site's demographic, probably 1 in 2 adults.  But they remain a mystery, shrouded in legend.  A story...lost to time.

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yes we know, that's the problem here. Yall would rather just ignore the fascistic insurrection and subversion of our democracy so you can try again in 4-8 years. We know how this story ends, and its with useful idiots like yall enabling and normalizing it.

I thought we had an understanding about the name calling? I’m really trying not to hurt your feelings. 

I was simply pointing out the futility of asking this particular question to your Republican friends, as one runs the risk of appearing overly strident. 

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I thought we had an understanding about the name calling? I’m really trying not to hurt your feelings. 

I was simply pointing out the futility of asking this particular question to your Republican friends, as one runs the risk of appearing overly strident. 

Apologies, I'm not meaning "useful idiot" to be namecalling - it's a very apt descriptor of modern republicans:

a naive or credulous person who can be manipulated or exploited to advance a cause or political agenda

I believe I agree with your overall sentiment. Repubs weren't reasoned into their position, and certainly won't be reasoned out of it. If you (specifically and generally) can't see Jan 6th and the ongoing coverup attempt for what it is - I don't think you really want democracy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

My circle is virtually all Republican and I’ve yet to hear anyone even bring January 6th up at all. Hell, Trump hardly comes up anymore. 

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

Same.

They've all shifted into "Let's Go Brandon!" mode and blaming everything under the sun on Biden. What it's doing is greasing the skids for DOTARD's return, which would be very, very, very bad for this country.

57 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The "I'm a Republican and I hate Trump" is the new version of "I'm socially liberal but fiscally conservative" 

"I can't be racist. I have a black friend. He's very articulate and well-spoken."

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

But that's exactly what I am!  Socially Liberal and Fiscally Conservative.  But how the fuck can you say the republican party is conservative on anything other than social issues.  They always blow huge holes in the budget with tax cuts that NEVER, EVER, EVER, delivery the job growth that is supposed to trickle down.  It's a 1950's solution that simply has not worked to any degree other than deficit production in about 30 years.

But true fiscal conservatism and social liberalism means you look at things from a cost perspective policy wise while wanting the least governmental intrusion into the lives of individuals. All the GOP fucking does now is intrude into individuals lives.  The focus on transgender kids is a great example of social rather than fiscal conservatism. Along with Abortion.

The only thing most Republicans I know are really liberal about, are their marriage vows, maybe smoking weed today, and coke in the past, and moving their golf ball when playing for money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

That is a major problem.  Jan 6 was an attempt to overthrow a legal, legitimate election.  You don't talk about it, b/c it failed.  You'll be all in, the next time they try. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Nope. Ted Cruz is better than Trump only insofar as he’s not Trump. 

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Exactly. If you hate Trump, Porterhouse, you support what you hate with every GOP vote at this point. I don't know your political position, but that's what you're doing.

I actually haven’t cast a vote since 2012, precisely because of Trump. I’m a very apolitical Republican. 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

You hang out with a bunch of republicans who hate Trump? Statistically isn't that pretty much all of them?

Yes, and no; this thread’s existence literally suggests that is not the case. Unless OP erected a circle jerk straw man?

3 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

It has come up with everyone I know. Disgust is expressed, but nobody dwells on it. 

Yes we know, that's the problem here. Yall would rather just ignore the fascistic insurrection and subversion of our democracy so you can try again in 4-8 years. We know how this story ends, and its with useful idiots like yall enabling and normalizing it.

Definitely want to forget about it. Absolutely do not want anything close to Trump in 4 years. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yep, but, I’ve been pretty consistent on Trump since 2016. 

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

But what if I'm a Republican who didn't vote for Trump and have a Black friend and a gay cousin?

I think Matt Dowd said it best.  Something to the effect of how at parties, you always meet people who say "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" and you'll sometimes find somebody honest that says "socially and fiscally conservative" or "socially and fiscally liberal"...but you never meet anyone who says, "socially conservative, fiscally liberal" but that's in fact what most of the GOP is these days.  But you never one, kinda like you never meet a Trump voter.  Yet they comprise 35 out of 100 adults, in Texas amongst this site's demographic, probably 1 in 2 adults.  But they remain a mystery, shrouded in legend.  A story...lost to time.

I literally never considered voting for Trump, have 2 gay cousins and a gay aunt, and plenty of black friends. I should win a prize. 

All of this. Try and parse this shit whatever way you’d like, but I’m comfortable broadbrushing todays GOP as an enemy of democracy intent on turning back the clocks to “the good ole days”. 

you don’t talk about the insurrection bc you tacitly support it through your  choice of candidate and all the ratfucking and performative horseshit that spills forth from them in pursuit of the endorsement of the orange godking. It’s not a political party. It’s a cult underpinned with facism and dominated by what is the most disastrously unhinged and toxic individual to ever hold ANY office in this country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

All of this. Try and parse this shit whatever way you’d like, but I’m comfortable broadbrushing todays GOP as an enemy of democracy intent on turning back the clocks to “the good ole days”. 

you don’t talk about the insurrection bc you tacitly support it through your  choice of candidate and all the ratfucking and performative horseshit that spills forth from them in pursuit of the endorsement of the orange godking. It’s not a political party. It’s a cult underpinned with facism and dominated by what is the most disastrously unhinged and toxic individual to ever hold ANY office in this country. 

First, that’s wrong, your problem, and dumb. 

Second:

image.thumb.png.8e97024d776843147191fd938c5716e5.png

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

They've all shifted into "Let's Go Brandon!" mode and blaming everything under the sun on Biden. What it's doing is greasing the skids for DOTARD's return, which would be very, very, very bad for this country.

"I can't be racist. I have a black friend. He's very articulate and well-spoken."

"He's so articulate you forget he's black!"

53 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

First, that’s wrong, your problem, and dumb. 

Second:

image.thumb.png.8e97024d776843147191fd938c5716e5.png

The first isn't wrong. Those elected local and state-level Republicans who actually did their job and certified the election in 2020 have almost all been removed and replaced with fascist loyalists and the two national elected Republican figures who support investigating 1/6 have effectively been excommunicated from the party. It doesn't matter if every Republican voter is a committed ideological fascist or not, they're nominating and electing fascists and they're appointing fascists to positions with the specific intent that their appointees abuse their power to steal upcoming elections. 

• Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Haven't voted since 2012.....so you hate Trump and it would be very bad for him to get (back) into office, but you don't /won't vote for whoever is running against him?

Totally depends on the candidate. Biden?  Hillary?  Wouldn’t vote again; Trump is a non-starter. A guy like Obama?  Obama in a heartbeat.  Put quality candidates in front of me and I’ll vote. 

I’m embarrassed the GOP has devolved to what it is now. Absolutely embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

The first isn't wrong. Those elected local and state-level Republicans who actually did their job and certified the election in 2020 have almost all been removed and replaced with fascist loyalists and the two national elected Republican figures who support investigating 1/6 have effectively been excommunicated from the party. It doesn't matter if every Republican voter is a committed ideological fascist or not, they're nominating and electing fascists and they're appointing fascists to positions with the specific intent that their appointees abuse their power to steal upcoming elections. 

Maybe. I took that to mean Republicans and not GOP leadership. 

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

That is a major problem.  Jan 6 was an attempt to overthrow a legal, legitimate election.  You don't talk about it, b/c it failed.  You'll be all in, the next time they try. 

Politics is local. It’s not even in the top 50 of issues of concern, if I’m being completely honest. 

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Politics is local. It’s not even in the top 50 of issues of concern, if I’m being completely honest. 

I agree, but not in Top 50?  C'mon.  Probably not in Top 10 for most Americans at this point, I concur.  It should be, but we both know it's probably not.  

Here's how you make January 6th Insurrection TOP ISSUE for "Conservative" voters in 2022 in Texas..............

"Regardless of party...some of the male protestors at the January 6th Capitol 'Incident' are on camera using the Women's Restrooms!  News at 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

A feeble attempt. Those fucktards would’ve been taken out by a DC Swat Team had they been more successful. They’re lucky they were stupid.  Let’s stop the narrative that it would’ve been a legitimate coup. 

The issue for me has always been two things: 1) The military loves Trump, and 2) Trump was very very clearly waiting to see how the deal played out to see if he could legitimately stage a coup. Those 7 hours were spent wrestling with himself over what to do. Luckily for him his supporters were and are failures, and the decision became easy. 

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

A feeble attempt. Those fucktards would’ve been taken out by a DC Swat Team had they been more successful. They’re lucky they were stupid.  Let’s stop the narrative that it would’ve been a legitimate coup. 

The issue for me has always been two things: 1) The military loves Trump, and 2) Trump was very very clearly waiting to see how the deal played out to see if he could legitimately stage a coup. Those 7 hours were spent wrestling with himself over what to do. Luckily for him his supporters were and are failures, and the decision became easy. 

You're so off base on multiple fronts it's hilarious.

It doesn't matter that "those fucktards would’ve been taken out by a DC Swat Team had they been more successful".  That's not the point.  The point is that THEY TRIED and that 30% OR MORE OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC SUPPORTS THEM.  I suspect you are in that demographic.

Beyond that, the military does NOT support Trump, at least not to the degree that they supported W over Obama, Bush over Clinton, etc.

You are horribly misinformed, or maybe . . . just maybe . . . you're a fucking troll who deserves every neg coming his way.  +1

Edited by jimmyjazz

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're so off base on multiple fronts it's hilarious.

It doesn't matter that "those fucktards would’ve been taken out by a DC Swat Team had they been more successful".  That's not the point.  The point is that THEY TRIED and that 30% OR MORE OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC SUPPORTS THEM.  I suspect you are in that demographic.

Beyond that, the military does NOT support Trump, at least not to the degree that they supported W over Obama, Bush over Clinton, etc.

You are horribly misinformed, or maybe . . . just maybe . . . you're a fucking troll who deserves every neg coming his way.  +1

Dude, no.  I think they’re disgusting people; I understand what the point is and the gravity of what they did, but I dismiss them because of their mental capacity. Why are you negging me?

Yes, the military does support Trump, by and large. I’m talking about relative to Obama or Biden. Not Bush. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Yes, the military does support Trump, by and large. I’m talking about relative to Obama or Biden. Not Bush. 

I'd like to see that analysis, because it completely contradicts everything I've read.  The military -- particularly brass -- was horrified by Trump's behavior.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd like to see that analysis, because it completely contradicts everything I've read.  The military -- particularly brass -- was horrified by Trump's behavior.

More rank and file. I can see the brass being horrified. 

I wasn’t trolling. I don’t fall into the 30% demo that supported that shitshow (and that 30% sounds WAY too high), and was disgusted by 1/6. Not sure what set you off. 

6 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

The problem is the intention, not the success.

Trump intended to negate the result of a fair election. He wanted to be the winner, by any means necessary.  The evidence shows that he spent hours and days, over the span of months, entertaining any jackass that could provide some half-ass means by which he could remain President.

His speech on 1/6 wasn't just the ravings of a butthurt narcissist, it was part of a PLAN.

He failed.  But, as has been pointed out, the GQP has fallen in line and made it much easier for Trump, or a successor, to negate the result of a fair election.  And made it harder to even have a fair election in which those entitled to vote, vote.

They have made it so that even a bumbling asshole fool like Trump could completely abrogate democracy.

Quibble with whether that was a coup or insurrection or not, but it is goddamn dangerous and flat fucking un-American.

And if Trump wins re-election, he is going to do insane and dangerous shit like withdraw us from NATO.  If you don't vote against him in 2024, you are not a patriot.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

More rank and file. I can see the brass being horrified. 

I wasn’t trolling. I don’t fall into the 30% demo that supported that shitshow (and that 30% sounds WAY too high), and was disgusted by 1/6. Not sure what set you off. 

My son was in the army through almost all of Trump's term and he assured me the rank and file was split down the middle; maybe even leaned D. Trump pissed all over veterans and the institution and legit studs like Mattis and that was not lost in the barracks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2