Texas @ OU in Arlington Weekend Thread

zlavydra

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I dunno if I see much spot for him in the lineup with AT healthy and if EK is ok. AT is plenty accomplished defensively out in RF and just has a better bat. I would like to see if DC can continue his current hot streak but not at the expense of AT or Murph. Maybe DC can play 2nd and replace Daly but I doubt it and I have way more confidence in Daly to fix his issues.

Todd won’t be able to play the field the rest of the season according to Pierce about a week ago. Campbell is pretty darn good defensively and it would make sense to keep Stehly in the DH role once EK is finally healthy.

Todd is likely going to have to find a role as an occasional DH/pinch hitter type. Which is fine for him. He had a good game today and he provides a nice veteran presence but he’s a career .210 hitter in Big 12 play so he’s not someone we need to force into the lineup if other guys are hot. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It does kind of suck that DC finally got going as soon as Todd comes back. I guess it's good injury insurance like it was today. If everyone is healthy maybe DC still gets some DH looks like in midweek games?

Wouldn’t mind him and Todd kind of switching off every now and then. And Campbell is better in right than Stehly which isn’t saying too much but still. Plus we should sort of limit Todd for the next month or so. Keep him healthy and he’s a good late inning pinch hitter  

Just now, Fletch said:

Wouldn’t mind him and Todd kind of switching off every now and then. And Campbell is better in right than Stehly which isn’t saying too much but still. Plus we should sort of limit Todd for the next month or so. Keep him healthy and he’s a good late inning pinch hitter  

Plus he needs all the time he can get to work on his dissertation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Todd won’t be able to play the field the rest of the season according to Pierce about a week ago. Campbell is pretty darn good defensively and it would make sense to keep Stehly in the DH role once EK is finally healthy.

Todd is likely going to have to find a role as an occasional DH/pinch hitter type. Which is fine for him. He had a good game today and he provides a nice veteran presence but he’s a career .210 hitter in Big 12 play so he’s not someone we need to force into the lineup if other guys are hot. 

Ah didn’t realize that he’s unable to play in the field. Yea in that case then no reason for him to take at bats from the other guys. 

14 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ah didn’t realize that he’s unable to play in the field. Yea in that case then no reason for him to take at bats from the other guys. 

Uhm, I want him to be able to bat whenever there is a chance to get on base/score.   Same for the other guys....  A deep/healthy bench is a good thing...

53 minutes ago, petscii said:

Uhm, I want him to be able to bat whenever there is a chance to get on base/score.   Same for the other guys....  A deep/healthy bench is a good thing...

My point is he shouldn’t be taking at bats from anyone who’s a decent hitter. If DC is going to play RF that means Murph is in the DH. AT obviously doesn’t need to be in the DH instead of Murph. I like him as the DH if Murph is in right but Murph’s defense might be bad enough to keep DC in the lineup for the foreseeable future.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Great choice to lead off ..

On 4/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Who else would you put there? He’s a 1049 OPS

0-5 with 4K’s.  Faltine led the team in K’s last year, leading this year.

It’s one thing to be a free swinger down in the order, quite different when plate discipline and contact are required to be a table setter for Ivan and Murphy.

Just now, VirginiaLonghorn said:

It’s one thing to be a free swinger down in the order, quite different when plate discipline and contact are required to be a table setter for Ivan and Murphy.

He strikes out too much to be a leadoff hitter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I agree but in a temporary spot like that who else do you out there? Hodo strikes out a lot (36 times) this year. No one else in the lineup can get on base often enough to put up there. I’m all ears for whomever is the other leadoff hitter thats capable on this team if EK isn’t available. I guess you could put Murph there but that takes away a lot of protection for Ivan and production in the middle of the order

Edited by hobbes2702

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I agree but in a temporary spot like that who else do you out there? Hodo strikes out a lot (36 times) this year. No one else in the lineup can get on base often enough to put up there. I’m all ears for whomever is the other leadoff hitter thats capable on this team if EK isn’t available. I guess you could put Murph there but that takes away a lot of protection for Ivan and production in the middle of the order

Until EK returns, I’d put Todd there and cross my fingers he doesn’t hurt himself.  Rationale is it minimizes disturbing the lineup and Todd has the experience and maturity to understand the role.  That’s all I got …

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Until EK returns, I’d put Todd there and cross my fingers he doesn’t hurt himself.  Rationale is it minimizes disturbing the lineup and Todd has the experience and maturity to understand the role.  That’s all I got …

If you put Todd there then that means he’s your DH and you’re taking Murphy out of the lineup. Unless you’re still playing Murphy in RF. I just don’t know that I’m much more confident in AT with Murphy in RF. There’s just not a lot of great options to leadoff. Trey strikes out a ton but his on base is still higher than most of the lineup. I actually don’t really care if he strikes out in the leadoff spot. The job isn’t to hit ground outs instead of strikeouts. The job is get on base.

Daly and Campbell both have speed, walk a fair amount and you would be taking them from the bottom of the lineup so you wouldn't have to disrupt the middle of the order....

If neither of those guys move the needle then just bump Hodo up a spot and move Messinger or Daly into the 2 hole. Yeah, Hodo strikes out a fair amount but that's just part of baseball nowadays.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I guess. He's slugging .457. He doesn't get walked a lot. He strikes out too much. 

His on base is still .370. Slightly behind Trey, Sky, and a couple others. I like that he doubles more than the others though (second on the team with 12). 
The answer really is that we need EK back at the top of the order. It makes our lineup so much more balanced 

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

His on base is still .370. Slightly behind Trey, Sky, and a couple others. I like that he doubles more than the others though (second on the team with 12). 
The answer really is that we need EK back at the top of the order. It makes our lineup so much more balanced 

I'm not knocking the season he's having - he's been okay. Just making the point that I think Hodo himself would tell you he's struck out too much this year. It isn't really a "that's just how baseball is these days" type thing as he isn't a three outcome guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No great options for lead off but Hodo has been that guy already.

Faltine and his power and strikeout prowess lends to him being down the lineup.

With a lefty pitcher and no Kennedy, it’s Todd or Campbell or Hodo to lead off. Dalys OBP is good considering his low average. Both Daly and Campbell are hitting better so that’s a consideration. Of all those only Todd doesn’t strike out too much.

I’d ride with the hottest of those 3/4 guys hitting lead off. I’d lean towards Daly back to the 2 spot and let Melendez cover him.

OBP is way more important than not striking out. Even in old school lineup construction this isn't the 2 hole we're talking about. Who cares if the leadoff guy strikes out, flies out, or grounds out? He's out. 

I recognize there are more errors in college but y'all are still worrying about it way too much. The 0-5 was the problem. 

In fact you should rather have a high strikeout guy batting leadoff than in the middle of the lineup all else being equal. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

I didn’t calculate BABIP, but Faltines has to be the highest so you’d think his average and OBP will come down relative to the guys that aren’t hitting well thus far.

Actually looking at Faltine, his BABIP is .500. That’s unlikely to continue so if that comes down, he needs to be better at putting it in play.

But the lead off guy needs to be most likely to get on base as they’re guaranteed to get the most ABs. And in theory power is less important because they’re least likely to bat with runners on.