2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think as long as there is someone on the 60 they can replace with anyone in the org. If that’s wrong (I don’t think it is) they could add Brown to the 40 on 8/31 and never add to the 26 and call him up when it goes to 28 and it would absolutely be ok. 

That makes sense.

i’m going to assume the front office isn’t foolish enough to potentially miss having Brown on the postseason roster by a day.

although the previous regime did fuck Tucker out of a go at rookie of the year by 1 AB.

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That makes sense.

i’m going to assume the front office isn’t foolish enough to potentially miss having Brown on the postseason roster by a day.

although the previous regime did fuck Tucker out of a go at rookie of the year by 1 AB.

Yeah- but they sure as shit made sure he didn’t have super 2 status and they got the extra year with some creative maneuvering. Alvarez too. Which made the extension possible. 

8 hours ago, runthebone said:

Click just has to make sure that unplayable/unpitchable guys aren't on the playoff roster to tempt the manager

Yeah.  If Diaz shows out then I'd like to see him at 1B in the playoffs. Big hopes for his bat.  Hope we get a full chance to see if there is something there. Absolutely expect not to see it.  If he's good then this is your best lineup:

Altuve

Yordan

Bregman

Tucker

Diaz

Mancini

Chas

Pena

Vasquez.

If he's not then other Diaz hitting 7th.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah.  If Diaz shows out then I'd like to see him at 1B in the playoffs. Big hopes for his bat.  Hope we get a full chance to see if there is something there. Absolutely expect not to see it.  If he's good then this is your best lineup:

Altuve

Yordan

Bregman

Tucker

Diaz

Mancini

Chas

Pena

Vasquez.

If he's not then other Diaz hitting 7th.

Vintage 80S GIF

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ballrific said:

Will be in Anaheim this weekend to watch Stros.. Any recs for a particular section/seats for day game @ 3pm?

astros are in the 1st base dugout, and the friends and family section is right above that and typically half full.  i would recommend buying a bit above that and wandering down.

prepare yourself though, it's gonna hot as fuck this weekend no matter where your seats are.

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

Wulaw- you’re suggesting the best playoff lineup has a rookie with no MLB AB’s as of today batting 5th?

I said IF he shows out. If he's a dude he's going to be a benefit. but, It's not really about him- it's about what he's replacing.  Post from another board (Not mine)

There are 26 qualified 1B in MLB. Where does Yuli rank on the season and since the All-Star break?

Season rank first followed by post AS break.

wRC+ 23rd/21st
BB% 26th (dead last)/24th
HR 25th/26th (dead last)
RBI 25th/18th
Hard-hit% 25th/25th
OPS 24th/22nd
ISO 23rd/26th (worst power output at 1B)
Swinging out-of-zone 23rd/20th
WAR 24th/21st

Our slugging 1B is lacking power, doesn’t walk, swings outside the zone, and makes weak contact. But yes, I’m sure Yanier Diaz couldn’t possibly match Yuli’s production. I suspect Aledmys and Mancini would also struggle to exceed Yuli’s contribution at 1B.

• Hook 'Em 1

He's also grounded into 12 double plays.  He has a 90 OPS+  He hits in the most sabermetrically important position in the lineup.  He plays the defensive position that your best hitter should play because it asks the least. He chews up outs without hitting the ball hard, over the fence, and without walking. It's almost impossible to overstate what a drag he is on the offense.  He, more than anyone else on the team, has failed to produce what he needs to produce and is the reason we are a top 5 team in wRC+ and a league average team in runs scored.  It's killing us. If Diaz doesn't show out (and they looooooove his bat by all accounts) the way many other young guys have that go on to make significant playoff runs then the other Diaz should be the guy to get the AB's.  
There is a place on this team in the playoffs for Yuli. It is a very narrow one.  He makes contact. He's taken pressure AB's. I'd prefer him up there to Mancini or some other guys in a guy on 3rd 1 out or guy on 2nd 2 outs situation where a strikeout is bad news.  That's  it. That should be his role. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

His place, #2 hitter. I like mancini behind Tucker and pena behind mancini. 

continue 

Cool. Every meaningful statistic shows that he's one of the 3 worst 1b in the game, and one of the worst #2 hitters in the game.  We should probably just keep trotting out a guy that is 10% worse than average every day into the most premier position on the field and in the lineup, and not bother trying anything else while we have a 4 game lead on the Yanks and have the division clinched.  Makes total and complete logical sense and suggesting there might be another way is snorting coke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I said IF he shows out. If he's a dude he's going to be a benefit. but, It's not really about him- it's about what he's replacing.  Post from another board (Not mine)

There are 26 qualified 1B in MLB. Where does Yuli rank on the season and since the All-Star break?

wRC+ 23rd/21st
HR 25th/26th (dead last)
RBI 25th/18th
Hard-hit% 25th/25th
OPS 24th/22nd
WAR 24th/21st

Our slugging 1B is lacking power, doesn’t walk, swings outside the zone, and makes weak contact. But yes, I’m sure Yanier Diaz couldn’t possibly match Yuli’s production. I suspect Aledmys and Mancini would also struggle to exceed Yuli’s contribution at 1B.

The only reason I can think of why he is still playing every day is loyalty.  They are giving him every chance to stay on the every day roster.  If he can't do it, then it won't be because management didn't give him a chance.  That, or they honestly feel they have no better 1B options, which simply isn't the case.  I think all will be made right with the playoff roster.  They are going to play the best guys who have the highest chance of winning.  That just can't be with Yuli at 1B; not with these numbers.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Ojo Rojo said:

The only reason I can think of why he is still playing every day is loyalty.  They are giving him every chance to stay on the every day roster.  If he can't do it, then it won't be because management didn't give him a chance.  That, or they honestly feel they have no better 1B options, which simply isn't the case.  I think all will be made right with the playoff roster.  They are going to play the best guys who have the highest chance of winning.  That just can't be with Yuli at 1B; not with these numbers.

I'm in the same place as you as to what's happened.  Diaz just needs 100 AB's though to see what you might have. If it's not him then it's the other Diaz that makes logical sense. I've often suspected that the FO controls the playing decisions in the playoffs, but if they are serious about a young guy he just needs an audition. If he gets buried on the bench it will be pretty obvious he isn't part of their plans as anything other than an emergency catcher.  If Yuli keeps playin that doesn't mean you can't replace him in a moments notice with A Diaz if he's healthy, but it lowers the amount of options that the Astros will have. Options are good.  

For those worried about the 40 man roster (stop doing it- it's not a concern) here is the best post I saw (from another board- not mine) describing the situation:

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.
Postseason roster rules
Teams submit a 26-man roster (it was 25, prior to 2020) prior to each round of the postseason comprised of postseason-eligible players. 

Brantley, James, Castro, and Taylor all meet the IL requirement as they will be on 60-day IL for 60 days per MLB.com. On James, I'm pretty sure Astros can end rehab assignment and keep him on the IL instead of DFA. They just can't have him playing in the minors for more than 20 days straight.

I expect the Astros to make moves to add Diaz and Brown prior to 8/31, but this loophole seems to get exploited every year by some team (I'm pretty sure the Astros used it on Siri last year). Whether it is one of those guys or someone else, the Astros will make sure they have ability to use the loophole in case they need to use it.

Someone may need to be cut from 40-man if the Astros use this loophole (not sure on this), but if that is the case, it doesn't need to happen prior to 8/31 (though I expect this to happen for Brown and Diaz).

1 minute ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Bielak?  WTF?

Already on the 40 and no move is needed today.  Brown is already coming up (and post season eligible to boot) on 9/1- and he just threw 4 innings 2 days ago, so he's in no way pitching tonight or tomorrow. Made as much sense as anyone else.  Your only other options would be Whitley, Mushinski, Paredes, Solomon, Dubin or Blanco.  Bielak makes the most sense in that context for the next 2 days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is your big decision- we have to take 2 guys off the 40 man roster, and it cannot be a guy currently on the 60 day DL b/c he doesn't count so he doesn't get you there. 

Your options not currently on the 26 man:

Jake Meyers, Joe Perez, Taylor Jones, Nico Goodrum,  Korey Lee, Forrest Whitley, Peter Solomon, Enoli Paredes, Parker Mushinski, Shawn Dubin, Ronel Blanco.

My guess is that it's Goodrum, and Blanco. 

I'd like for Smith to get his walking papers but that doesn't seem super likely to me to happen.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

wRC+ 23rd/21st
HR 25th/26th (dead last)
RBI 25th/18th
Hard-hit% 25th/25th
OPS 24th/22nd
WAR 24th/21st

Yes, but there's already a replacement that isn't being used.

• Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'm going with a pulled muscle and he'll be fine in 2 weeks.  It's gonna end his shot at 20 wins though.

Yeah, soccer players pull their calves all the time and it's usually right at 3 weeks.  He can probably beat that since he doesn't have to be in sprinting shape to pitch.

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who?  Mancini is playing every day with A Diaz hurt. Unless JV needs his personal CF or some other nonsense. 

Yes, I was talking about the situation before Aledmys's injury.

Edited by WBT

Heard Dusty on with Matt Thomas today. He did not sound super pumped about Brown coming up and didn’t mention Diaz

Sounded pissed about Meyers coming back and said “we still have to figure out if Chas is an every day guy” while mentioning that he couldn’t play Dubon everywhere. He loves him some Dubon. 

This is a FO and skipper that clearly don’t see eye to eye.