2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Man, if we could just get Yordan going ...

Pitchers still ahead of the hitters. He'll come around. 😎

The TBS announcing crew has been pretty complimentary of Houston. Of course, with a drubbing like this, they should be. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

5-2 with two to go in this stretch.   Finish strong, fellas.

I just want to finish this stretch never seeing a batter come up to the plate with the NY team winning. 
I know 7-2 is good if that were to happen but I also I know it should be 9-0. Either way, the never trailing during a libe game stat shows just how good we’ve played in the last 7 outside of a couple bullpen blow ups 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The team has been holding a 100-104 win pace for over a month now it seems. Fans want utter dominance and the Yankees have a great record but the Astros have been playing like a great team plays.

No doubt. 
there’s a couple minor problems that should be easily fixed. I suspect Meyers fixes the CF problem. Catcher isn’t a spot the Astros care about hitting at, but getting a backup catcher that could hit better than a random Surly poster seems not terribly taxing, and they’ve got 5 weeks to find a first baseman who can hit, which shouldn’t be too taxing. 
those are almost the definition of first world problems. 2 minor moves not costing much of anything in prospect capital turn them back into a rolling ball of butcher knives. If Bregman gets back to his old self (not the MVP type guy but when 30% better than average guy) and Jake Meyers duplicates his 750 OPS from last year, they are the right push at 1B away from being historically great- like top 100 type team in MLB history instead of “merely” a 100 win type team that we seem to see 3 or 4 of in baseball yearly for the last half decade or so. 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If Bregman gets back to his old self (not the MVP type guy but when 30% better than average guy) 

He’s already there; 129 wRC+ through last night’s game. For his career, he’s 40% better…he may be headed for that, still has a .251 BABIP. (But yeah, I’d take 30% better too.)

Lost in the angst over Bregman’s first half - he’s at 2.1 fWAR through 71 games. So even if he just duplicates his year to date numbers, he’s a 4-win player this year. There are usually about 40 4-win position players in all of MLB each year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He’s already there; 129 wRC+ through last night’s game. For his career, he’s 40% better…he may be headed for that, still has a .251 BABIP. (But yeah, I’d take 30% better too.)

Lost in the angst over Bregman’s first half - he’s at 2.1 fWAR through 71 games. So even if he just duplicates his year to date numbers, he’s a 4-win player this year. There are usually about 40 4-win position players in all of MLB each year. 

Yeah- he was at 101 a couple weeks ago when I looked at him- which was pretty brutal for him, so that's a pretty nice run to get back up to 129.  I don't think it can just be about walks- we do need to see him drive the ball more, I think, if it's to be sustainable.  Walks are great and a cheat code in some ways, but man- looking at stats from the other day in NY and he's at like 40% for example, of getting the guy home from 3rd and league average is 60%. If he's going to hit behind Yordan and in front of Tucker he's going to have to do some of the work himself.  

The War calcs must show that he's still playing pretty good defense.  I know he's been off on a couple throws lately- so wonder what that's all about.  Random?  Or something nagging?

I've given up on the MVP guy.  He does need to be above average to fringe all star level though for us to really go.  I think we saw that in the WS last year when he was so awful and such an anchor when he's not that dude.  Frustrating cat.  This should be his prime.  I really wonder if he doesn't have too much stuff in his head.  He was always a chip on his shoulder baseball rat guy that maximized. Having a wife, commercials, race horses, salsa lines etc. might be tougher for him to keep his edge than some other more physically talented guys.  Has a real Rocky 3 beginning of the movie feel to his last couple seasons. Hell, he doesn't even seem arrogant anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 1