2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I told my dad this morning that if we give up 5 runs our chances of winning are cut in half. We just aren’t going to win many games 7-6 and 9-8 with this lineup at its best and even less with Altuve, Alvarez and the DH not contributing. I know it had to be difficult to take JV out before the 5th but he was being knocked around and we have the bullpen pitch 5. Dusty needed to make the move to win today. Play like no tomorrow. This isn’t a July game. Dusty gets the majority of the blame to me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Fukin Garcia. I can still see him doing that goofy delivery

At this point in the series (and it was fucking Game 1}, you should use a starter in relief only if you absolutely have to.  We still had bullpen guys that could have gone. What is Dusty doing, saving them for game 2?  He is an idiot manager until he proves otherwise. 

Edited by cabowabo

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

I usually give Dusty the benefit of the doubt, but not having someone ready for JV in the 5th is negligent malpractice.  And giving Mancini a 4th at-bat late in a close game with a runner on is even worse.  Do better, Dusty.  

First time Dusty Baker has blown a World Series game up 5-0 in 20 years!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA200210260.shtml

589-19 and that dumbfuckstick has 2 of the 19

Yeah, he should have been managing this as a must win…which it was. There were so many stupid mental errors in the game. They need to figure out something…fucking anything at DH. And who in the fuck outside of Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth swings at a 3-0 pitch??? What a fucking moron. Someone needs to go Jeff Golooly on that asshole so he can be replaced on the roster.

Congrats to Philly, I guess, but we shouldn't lose to anyone when up 5-0. Even if our starter is gasping, we have the best BP in the world rested up to stop any rallies and pitch long innings. 

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Dusty wanted JV to go 5 so he could finally get a WS win and kill that albatross. Same as wanting Trey to finally hit his way out of a 90-day slump. These were avoidable blunders by the manager. Players are trying their best, but the manager has to be clearheaded enough to see things as they really are. There's now ample evidence that he's a "player's manager" to a fault. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

At this point in the series (and it was fucking Game 1}, you should use a starter in relief only if you absolutely have to.  We still had bullpen guys that could have gone. What is Dusty doing, saving them for game 2?  He is an idiot manager until he proves otherwise. 

I get what Dusty was doing there.  You don’t know how long it will go and he’s looking for a little length.  As soon as that gambit didn’t play out, bring in a reliever.   Don’t really fault him for that.  

17 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Losing after going up 5-0 is bad.

Very bad.

Like you better sack up because what you did was bad.

Murder a kid bad. Soul crushing bad.

tomorrow will tell you if the Astros have it. They have their best pitcher going too. Way to go assholes.

If the Astros lose game two, it’s over. You can’t blow a 5-0 lead.

You just can’t.

that’s inexcusable.

I can’t stress just how bad a job Dusty and the Astros fucked up tonight.

This shit doesn’t happen to good teams.

Dusty has managed that feat twice. Last two teams to lose with a 5 run lead, same fucking manager.

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

I get what Dusty was doing there.  You don’t know how long it will go and he’s looking for a little length.  As soon as that gambit didn’t play out, bring in a reliever.   Don’t really fault him for that.  

You had better relievers rested and ready to go. Why are you bringing in a starter when you still had 2 bullpen arms. Why are you trying to get Verlander a win, instead of getting the Astros a win?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Win tomorrow night and we're still in good shape with big SP advantages in games 3 and 4.

This one hurts because we blew a big lead, but 1-1 was always the most likely outcome of the first two.  Get it there and we're still the favorites.

Going to be tough with Wheeler and our shitty approach at the plate. If we don't HR's we struggle to score. Fuck off Snitker.

We could have thrown Brown, Javier, Stanek in the 5th. You have 7 fucking starters; you need to win games. 3rd series in a row where the fucking dumbass Astros managers just sit back and let the other manager/team play like the game fucking mattered.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, utxmike05 said:

Who else can lead off?

Jose barelyyyy got a hit and barelyyyy got a steal. I don't count that as a breakout yet.
Baseball gods were tryin hard to help him (or screw him more).  

The worst part of that inning was Altuve walking to 1st until he saw the ball drop. He should have been at 2nd on the hit and not the steal. Fucking team leader and just walking the fuck down to 1B.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Win tomorrow night and we're still in good shape with big SP advantages in games 3 and 4.

This one hurts because we blew a big lead, but 1-1 was always the most likely outcome of the first two.  Get it there and we're still the favorites.

I don’t trust Dusty to manage this team to our advantages. He neutralized our biggest one tonight by not taking Verlander out and pitching Luis for 0.2

• Like 1

Fuck this shit.  Things are not fucked. 

Tell Mancini to hit the road for an early vacation.  GTFO.

Diaz, let him manage the water coolers and sunflower seeds.  Nothing else.

Bounce shorty from lead-off to 7th, 

New DH is Vasquez.  Congrats, you now bat #2 ahead of Alvarez.  Pena to lead off.

Now let's go win this fucking thing.

5 minutes ago, Sal said:

I don’t trust Dusty to manage this team to our advantages. He neutralized our biggest one tonight by not taking Verlander out and pitching Luis for 0.2

Agreed.

But we're still 7-1 in this postseason.

Winning 4 of 6 with our pitching edge isn't an impossible mountain.  Just get game 2 and we're in good shape.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

it's burned into my mind. a win tomorrow would be ideal ...

Absolutely fair criticism. We needed someone to step up after our perennially bad Cy Young award winning WS SP tanks his starts. I will say what no one else is saying: we got lucky in 2017 when we lost game 1. We were supposed to lose that game as we were the away team. Every WS since, we were the home team and lost. You cant give up HFA that way every time you get it. We are supposed to be the better team and now have to go into Philly for the full 3 games to even hope to get it back to Houston. Thats a hard task

6 minutes ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

Absolutely fair criticism. We needed someone to step up after our perennially bad Cy Young award winning WS SP tanks his starts. I will say what no one else is saying: we got lucky in 2017 when we lost game 1. We were supposed to lose that game as we were the away team. Every WS since, we were the home team and lost. You cant give up HFA that way every time you get it. We are supposed to be the better team and now have to go into Philly for the full 3 games to even hope to get it back to Houston. Thats a hard task

Fuck it. Let's win it in Philadelphia.

• Hook 'Em 1