2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

On 8/17/2022 at 8:00 PM, Helobious said:

Still one of the biggest MVP robberies ever.

I know you don’t actually believe that this was some sort of “robbery,” much less “one of biggest, but it did get me thinking about really egregious MVP awards.

1987 was a pretty bad year for the voters. AL MVP went to George Bell, who hit .308/.352/.605 with 47 HR. Really good year. At best he should have finished 3rd in MVP voting; Wade Boggs hit .363/.461/.588 with plus defense at 3B (8.9 fWAR). Alan Trammell was about as good, hitting .343/.492/.551 with 28 HR, playing a very good SS.

But the NL vote was even worse. Andrew Dawson won the award after hitting .287/.328/.568 with 49 HR. He finished 20th among NL position players in fWAR that year. Tony Gwynn (.370/.447/.511, 56 SB) probably should have won, but you could make a case for Eric Davis, Dale Murphy or Tim Raines as well.

Then there’s all those MVPs that Ted Williams should have won in the 40s that went to Yankees players instead. ‘41, ‘42, ‘54. Same with Bonds, who should have won in ‘91, ‘95, ‘96 and ‘98.

And yeah, I know there wasn’t WAR and that OBP (somehow) wasn’t valued like it is nowadays. But still. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I know you don’t actually believe that this was some sort of “robbery,” much less “one of biggest, but it did get me thinking about really egregious MVP awards.

Um, yes I do. That shirt says it all. Judge outperformed Altuve in every major statistical category, even WAR and wRC+. There was no statistically relevant category where Altuve  outperformed Judge. None. For whatever reason people thought strikeouts were somehow statistically different than any other kind of out, that’s the only reason Altuve won. 

Never mind he was cheating on top of it all, but I’ll spare the thread that angle.

Its been proven red sox and yankees were both stealing signs electronically in 2017. 2017 astros were a better road team than home team. Yankees didn't do anything offensive away from yankee stadium in that post season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Um, yes I do. That shirt says it all. Judge outperformed Altuve in every major statistical category, even WAR and wRC+. There was no statistically relevant category where Altuve  outperformed Judge. None. For whatever reason people thought strikeouts were somehow statistically different than any other kind of out, that’s the only reason Altuve won. 

Never mind he was cheating on top of it all, but I’ll spare the thread that angle.

Judge was at 8.0 bWAR, Altuve was 7.7. You’re contending this was one “of the biggest robberies.” I’m contending it’s not close to being an egregious error by the voters. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Judge was at 8.0 bWAR, Altuve was 7.7. You’re contending this was one “of the biggest robberies.” I’m contending it’s not close to being an egregious error by the voters. 

Not to mention that Altuve outclassed Judge in the ball size/body mass index.   

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Its been proven red sox and yankees were both stealing signs electronically in 2017. 2017 astros were a better road team than home team. Yankees didn't do anything offensive away from yankee stadium in that post season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

yankees got caught twice 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This dude looks lost.

He sucks but I don’t know what more he can really do. There’s only about 3 or 4 players on the 26 man roster that are anywhere near close to even approaching average quality. This is on Cashman & Hal for building a total failure of a team. 

On 8/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, Helobious said:

Rent free.