2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

45 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The A’s are really, really horrible. When IKF is lighting up your pitching you have issues. 

thanks for the breaking news here in late august that oakland, the team that spent all offseason (and then some) trying to get as bad possible, is bad. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2022 at 12:28 PM, Helobious said:

2023 schedule drops. For the first time ever, every team will play all the other 29 teams at least once. Errybody plays on opening day & July 4. Pretty cool imo. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-schedule

I’m disappointed that the Astros request to fill the entire season with games against the Yankees and Mets was denied 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Why do pro athletes do that. They always end up looking stupid, and they’re giving the hecklers exactly what they crave.

I mean, I agree, but I’ve also always wondered what motivates fans to act like such fucking dipshits. Is there a thrill to shouting at players that you’re paying to watch? I don’t get it. It’s just so…dumb.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

On the right track … following a proven model under the guidance of someone who was in Houston when the Astros turned the corner.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/four-reasons-why-the-orioles-surprisingly-jumped-into-contention-in-2022-plus-whats-next-for-the-os/

I'm looking forward to this series and have enjoyed seeing the O's have some success this season. I really hope they get that 3rd wild card spot, particularly if it comes at the expense of Seattle. I wish nothing but the best for Mike and Sig. I am not surprised at all that they are building something good in Baltimore. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah not sure about that. They’re already decent and have a hell of a farm system. Rodriguez may come up next year, Rutschman may become an annual MVP candidate, etc. I don’t expect them to be dominant in 2023 or anything, but they figure to be very competitive over the next several seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Seems to work pretty efficiently

Managers would have to set pretty strict parameters on when a player can issue a challenge. I could see the more selfish players and habitual whiners burning through the allotted 5 in a hurry. 

Edited by TonyTexas

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw this today on an MLB social media outlet:

Prior to yesterday's loss, the White Sox were

63-63 in 2022

46-46 in the first half of 2022

17-17 in the second half of 2022

9,014-9,014 since August 16, 1906

That's 116 years of exactly 0.500 baseball.  

Sorry, had to neg this post to even it out.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I grew up in the Cleveland suburbs and remember watching this game when I was 11, and I thought it was awesome. Belle knocked the shit out of Fernando Vina in the 8th because he wanted to tag him instead of going to 2nd then to 1st for the double play, but that's not the whole story. This was a heated game, with hit batters and other scuffles, there wasn't a bench clearing brawl until the 9th inning. This was actually the second time in that game that Belle was tagged out by Vina, and he took issue with the first time, which is why he hammered him the second. There were multiple suspensions handed out as result of the game, and it was talked about for some time. 

I recall a local radio show was asking for people's best jokes about the game, and the winning one was: "Bars around Cleveland are now serving a new drink to honor Albert Belle called 'The Viña Collid-a'!" 

More highlights from the game: https://youtu.be/beRwf4wId78

Good times. I miss those 90s Indians teams. I still can't believe they lost to the Marlins in 97 in extra innings of a game 7. It really made me sad when it all came back again against the Cubs. 

• Hook 'Em 2