2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

On 9/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

Funny how only after getting sued and potentially being held accountable does a statement like this come out. 

Like when he stole credit cards from his teammates at ND and recently said everyone needs just "move on" from it? 

Two teenage baseball players are suing the Los Angeles Angels in a Dominican Republic court, alleging that the organization reneged on verbal agreements to sign them, a practice that has grown increasingly common amid a landscape with limited regulation by Major League Baseball.

At an Aug. 31 hearing, lawyers continued to argue the cases of Willy Fañas and Keiderson Pavon, who alleged in court filings that they agreed to deals with the Angels -- Fañas for $1.8 million when he was 14 years old and Pavon for $425,000 as a 15-year-old -- but that they were not honored following a change in the organization's front office.

Players from outside the United States (including Puerto Rico) and Canada are not officially allowed to sign until they are 16 years old, but those from hotbeds such as the Dominican Republic and Venezuela regularly reach handshake deals with teams when they are as young as 12.

Sources familiar with the verbal agreements confirmed their existence to ESPN, which viewed a video of the moment Angels employees told Pavon they planned to sign him. Instead, less than a month before the Jan. 15, 2021, signing date, Angels employees told Fañas and Pavon they would not offer them formal contracts.

Despite the growing prevalence of broken deals -- players, too, have backed out of agreements with teams to reap larger paydays elsewhere -- the cases of Fañas and Pavon are the first known to have multiple hearings in the Dominican justice system, where the law gives greater weight to verbal contracts and their enforceability than the United States, according to lawyers who practice there.

21 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

What a disappointing series. O's drop 3 out of 4. I was so full of hope.

I hope for better things against the Red Sox but they are starting to run out of games.

They’ve been juggling a number of balls most of the year.  Yet, they still made remarkable progress and baseball is taking notice … there’s more to come.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-managing-to-play-meaningful-games-in-september-and-maneuvering-in-new-ways

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Guadaloopy, please don't venture into Troll territory, you're better than that. 

You took a single post out of context.  The discussion was about what was going on with Gerrit Cole when he struggled a bit.   If you go down just two posts, you’ll see my theory that he got used to spider tack (just like everyone else) and that it impacted his grip mechanics, which took some time to relearn after the substance was banned.    Never once said that Gerrit Cole sucks.  

Pitcher's wins is probably the dumbest stat in baseball, but Julio Urias's career W-L record is 47-17.  

The only person to ever pitch in MLB with a better career winning percentage was born in 1850, popularized the wearing of a glove, and retired in 1877 to run his sporting goods store.

A1TB_1_20130920171419609.jpg

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't get the no-shift rule.  Seems to me if defenses want to leave gaping holes in their alignments, so be it.  Outlawing shifts takes away some of the risk/reward gambles.

Pitch clocks I can get behind.

Bigger bases is just plain stupid, but maybe that didn't go through.

Bases went from 15 inches to 18 inches. I can’t see why anyone would actually be against this if it cuts down on collisions and actually slightly increases baserunning attempts. Baserunning is fun. 
Very pumped about pitch clock and limiting stepping off the rubber. If that eliminates 3.5 hour 9 inning games that are a scourge on the sport that will be awesome. It’s pretty universally loved in the minor leagues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't get the no-shift rule.  Seems to me if defenses want to leave gaping holes in their alignments, so be it.

Shifts have a disparate impact on left-handed hitters.   You can shift to the right side without leaving 1B uncovered.  Can’t shift as heavily to the left side without leaving 1B uncovered.  

Basically, the shift forces left-handed hitters to adjust their natural power swing more than it forces right-handed hitters to adjust. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bases went from 15 inches to 18 inches. I can’t see why anyone would actually be against this if it cuts down on collisions and actually slightly increases baserunning attempts. Baserunning is fun. 

They should go further and put the safety base on first to make the running lane make sense.  

• Hook 'Em 2

What teams have heavy LH hitting lineups?They’re going to get a lot better

According to Sports Info Solutions, pull-heavy shift candidates — most of them left-handed — batted just .219 last year on groundballs and short line drives when they faced a shift. Against no shift, that average jumped all the way to .247.

• And according to Baseball Prospectus, on groundballs hit by left-handed hitters, the shift crushed batting average on balls in play by 35 points — versus only three points for right-handed hitters (who, not coincidentally, actually saw fewer shifts per plate appearance than in 2020).

Baserunning is fun.  I came out of the womb a Cardinals fan, I spent a good part of my teens and 20s watching Lou Brock and Vince Coleman tear it up (ahem).

That said, I seriously doubt they along with Rickey were extreme athletic unicorns.  There is a reason teams don't run as much any more, and making it a little easier to steal 2nd seems silly to me.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Pitcher's wins is probably the dumbest stat in baseball, but Julio Urias's career W-L record is 47-17.  

The only person to ever pitch in MLB with a better career winning percentage was born in 1850, popularized the wearing of a glove, and retired in 1877 to run his sporting goods store.

A1TB_1_20130920171419609.jpg

1DBA6C66-DB0A-4A4E-A8DD-133033EB7FE0.jpeg