2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Baserunning is fun.  I came out of the womb a Cardinals fan, I spent a good part of my teens and 20s watching Lou Brock and Vince Coleman tear it up (ahem).

That said, I seriously doubt they along with Rickey were extreme athletic unicorns.  There is a reason teams don't run as much any more, and making it a little easier to steal 2nd seems silly to me.

I think it’s more about providing space to cut down on collisions and promote player safety. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bases went from 15 inches to 18 inches. I can’t see why anyone would actually be against this if it cuts down on collisions and actually slightly increases baserunning attempts. Baserunning is fun. 
Very pumped about pitch clock and limiting stepping off the rubber. If that eliminates 3.5 hour 9 inning games that are a scourge on the sport that will be awesome. It’s pretty universally loved in the minor leagues. 

Yes it’s been pretty successful in the minors so far. I don’t hate the new rules at all.

Hicks actually got pulled in the middle of the game for a defensive sun. Years ago the nationals I think has a catcher pulled in the middle of an inning for the same reason. Only other time I have ever seen that. 

This Yankees team is something else. Hicks & Gallo are historically terrible baseball players and they were both on the team this year.

18 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Shifts have a disparate impact on left-handed hitters.   You can shift to the right side without leaving 1B uncovered.  Can’t shift as heavily to the left side without leaving 1B uncovered.  

Basically, the shift forces left-handed hitters to adjust their natural power swing more than it forces right-handed hitters to adjust. 

And lefties get to start a step closer to 1st and face far more opposite handed pitchers.  Banning the shift is dumb and "won't someone think of the lefties?!" is a dumb justification.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Attended my first MLB game of the 2022 season last night at Petco Park.  I just want to say Dodger/ Padre fan interaction was pretty damned entertaining.  Witnessed no fights/ arguments and a shit-ton of "house divided" groups with jerseys from both teams

They love Machado(gag!) and Alfaro( that dude is just fun to watch!)  Rained all damned day yesterday( remnants of Hurricane Kay) and we had a 45 minute rain delay; but it ended up being a great game.  The downtown area around the stadium is awesome.  Would visit again!!!

32 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

He is most noted for having had the largest cap size (8 1/4) in the majors when he was an active player, a feature that earned him the nickname Shrek.[1]

7 straight homers, but he's "most noted" for having MLB's biggest coconut?  

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

pretty amazing with that rag tag bunch of underdogs y'all got over there. just wild. 

We’re the little engine that could.

Muncy up to 20 HRs.  4 in last 5 games.  Good timing.  About to clinch 9th division in 10 years.  Only time they didn’t (last year) they won 106 games.