2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

5 hours ago, huge said:

How are you feeling about your WS chances with the pitching injuries?  

We don't have a real frontline ace (although Urias is really pitching really well), but a very solid rotation of Urias, Gonsolin, Kershaw and Anderson.  Move May to the bully, which has been awesome aside from Kimbrel (although he has something like 7 straight scoreless appearances, I still don't trust him).  I am pretty comfortable with the rotation, especially backed up by this offense.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

We don't have a real frontline ace (although Urias is really pitching really well), but a very solid rotation of Urias, Gonsolin, Kershaw and Anderson.  Move May to the bully, which has been awesome aside from Kimbrel (although he has something like 7 straight scoreless appearances, I still don't trust him).  I am pretty comfortable with the rotation, especially backed up by this offense.

Here was my point to that.

Dodgers News: Doc Not Overly Encouraged with Tony Gonsolin's Latest Update

Looking for good news on Tony Gonsolin, Dave Roberts delivers only so-so news.
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Judge is now 20 HR ahead of his closest competition (first time since Babe Ruth in 1928), and is now nine points off the league lead in average, which would give him the triple crown, and one of the all time great seasons by any hitter ever.

yankees or giants are going to open the checkbook for him !

I thought about putting this in the Cardinals thread, but I think it's bigger than that, especially as Albert Pujols approaches HR #700.  It's a nice story about Pujols honoring Stan Musial at Stan's funeral. 

My grandmother worked for Musial at his restaurant, keeping the books.  He signed a baseball for me.  She was a saint, and she spoke so highly of him.  I tend to believe the stories.

Musial & Pujols

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

That's because you lack the street cred that Helo has, probably because you wear Patagonia.

You wanna know how old I am? I don’t even get this joke.

(Shit, I do have a Patagonia jacket; no idea what this now says about me, but it’s a nice burnt orange color and it should last the rest of my life, so I guess I don’t care.)

Judge currently has a 213 OPS+. Here are the guys who finished above 200 since 1940 (not counting Soto in ‘20, because 60 games):

Bonds (1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)

McGwire (1988)

Bagwell and Frank Thomas (1994; also strike-shortened season)

George Brett (1980)

Wilkie McCovey (1969)

Mantle (1956, 1961)

Ted Williams (1941, 1942, 1946, 1947, 1954, 1957)

That’s it. Pretty historic season for Judge.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You wanna know how old I am? I don’t even get this joke.

(Shit, I do have a Patagonia jacket; no idea what this now says about me, but it’s a nice burnt orange color and it should last the rest of my life, so I guess I don’t care.)

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/27083-patagonia-owners-give-away-their-company/#comment-4621817

• Haha 1

Judge currently has a 213 OPS+. Here are the guys who finished above 200 since 1940 (not counting Soto in ‘20, because 60 games):

McGwire (1988)

George Brett (1980)

Wilkie McCovey (1969)

Mantle (1956, 1961)

*McGwire 1998; Willie (not Wilkie) McCovey.

(Patagonia-clad old with no street cred struggles to type on new-fangled, hand-held computer phone.)

• Hook 'Em 1

McGwire (1988)

George Brett (1980)

Wilkie McCovey (1969)

Mantle (1956, 1961)

Damn. That list is a bunch of all-time greats, and Jeff Bagwell.

More impressive stat to me is Judge is one multi-homer game from having the most in an MLB season. Ever.