Jump to content

Patagonia owners give away their company


52-80
 Share

Recommended Posts

real chad shit.  dont know how much equity the founder Yvon Chouinard held, but a Trust he runs now fully controls the company, but retains only 2% of the economic ownership.  The remaining 98% of the economic value is given to a non-profit organization, and profits are continually fed into it.

 

https://www.patagonia.com/ownership/

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Real Chad shit? Please elaborate.

its admirable to me how progressive and ethically yves directs his company , and still has commercial success, as those 2 things often arent correlative

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does Patagonia still have the stand alone stores? I don't see how those stand alone stores can be profitable even with Patagonia's notoriously high prices.

I do wonder about their marketing also. I have specialized stuff of different brands for ski wear and Timberland boots for hiking and going out in the cold. And more upscale/stylish jackets for going out at night in the cold. So, I don't think I have much use for Patagonia stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Patagonia actually goes to great lengths to try and source everything ethically and make sure their workers in foreign countries are paid a fair wage. Yvon Chouinard was one of the pioneering rock climbers in the group that first started climbing El Cap in Yosemite. If you haven't already, you should watch Valley Uprising, a documentary about them.

I also like the other founder, Tompkins. He froze his dick off and died after capsizing his kayak in 40 degree water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

 

52 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

 

Well, its more noble than chinese slave labor selling products made 90+% from petroleum base products and shipping them on diesel boats across the ocean and then spending your millions (billions?) on a new mega-yacht or a ranch in Hawaii that you fly your private jet to on the weekends.

So good for him.

 

 

 

 

50 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

they offer repair services for their apparel.

they buy back garments and sell them as used on the website (obv cutting into incremental new turnover)

they also list directly every factory and farm used in their supply chain.  yes it includes in asia, but this level of transparency is available from no other clothing retailer.

if its all greenwashing, its the most elaborate and thorough greenwashing operation ive ever seen.  i dont necessary subscribe fully to their tenets, but i admire the ethos.

 

 

28 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Minnesota Twins Baseball GIF by Jomboy Media

Keep on swinging champ.

I’m well aware of their corporate philosophy, and admire them putting their money (stock)  where their mouth is, even if it’s likely to not accomplish its end goal.  

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Never have or will buy a Patagonia product in my life. I can’t think of one apparel company that would make you lose street cred faster.

Street cred.  What’s important in life.  I guess a flat-billed, quarter cocked Yankees hat is better for that cred, but probably doesn’t help your credit.  

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Does Patagonia still have the stand alone stores? I don't see how those stand alone stores can be profitable even with Patagonia's notoriously high prices.

Yes, there's a "factory outlet" in tiny Dillon, Mont., that I stop at whenever driving up that way on I-15.

It's in an old brick building downtown and mainly has coats and clothing. Never seen any flyfishing gear there, but picked up a down puff jacket a couple of years ago for 80 bucks that normally runs closer to $250.

Shit is expensive--they don't call it Patagucci for nothin'--but their warranty and customer service are top notch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know shit about retail but I try a thing on/buy a thing in person and then order that same thing as needed online. Although I’ve had the two pairs of Patagonia shorts for 6 years now.

Patagonia’s general spiel on “ah you participate in society yet are trying to improve it somewhat”

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/patagonia-clothing-made-where-how-why/story-18467.html

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

real chad shit.  dont know how much equity the founder Yvon Chouinard held, but a Trust he runs now fully controls the company, but retains only 2% of the economic ownership.  The remaining 98% of the economic value is given to a non-profit organization, and profits are continually fed into it.

 

https://www.patagonia.com/ownership/

I believe he and his family owned the entire company.  That's why they were able to do this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Real Chad shit? Please elaborate.

He's acting like billionaires should (but very few actually do).  Right up there with Gates, Buffett, Bezos' ex wife and a few others.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Patagonia actually goes to great lengths to try and source everything ethically and make sure their workers in foreign countries are paid a fair wage. Yvon Chouinard was one of the pioneering rock climbers in the group that first started climbing El Cap in Yosemite. If you haven't already, you should watch Valley Uprising, a documentary about them.

It's much more fun to make pithy comments than to actually know what one is talking about...

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

 Patagonia's notoriously high prices.

Sheeit, man.  I used to think this too, but have you priced premium outdoor gear lately?

Pataonia looks like Walmart shit compared to Arcteryx and some other brands.  I saw a $600 rain jacket recommended the other day.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sheeit, man.  I used to think this too, but have you priced premium outdoor gear lately?

Pataonia looks like Walmart shit compared to Arcteryx and some other brands.  I saw a $600 rain jacket recommended the other day.

When I do purchase it is usually end of season so that $600 jacket is about tree fiddy. My bigger problem is I need to throw away my old cloths. The stuff that fit me 25 years ago still fits me today. Basically, what I am saying is that I need more assholes to tell me that I look stupid in my '87 Pat O'Brien's Party t-shirt and Vans shorts were not cool back then and they didn't improve with age.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Basically, what I am saying is that I need more assholes to tell me that I look stupid in my '87 Pat O'Brien's Party t-shirt and Vans shorts were not cool back then and they didn't improve with age.

Who cares about the shirt when you're wearing one of these over it?

STSteveMO2-MAIN1.jpg?ssl=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:
You’re fat, embrace it'

Nah, been working hard to be less fat. It's a lot of work in your late 40s, though.

Shit man, try being in your late 50s.   You lift weights and your skin still looks like crepe paper. After a time you just say fuck it, I’m letting my hair grow over everything.  Except it only works on your ears. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When I do purchase it is usually end of season so that $600 jacket is about tree fiddy. My bigger problem is I need to throw away my old cloths. The stuff that fit me 25 years ago still fits me today. Basically, what I am saying is that I need more assholes to tell me that I look stupid in my '87 Pat O'Brien's Party t-shirt and Vans shorts were not cool back then and they didn't improve with age.

Correction - Jams shorts. I must have purchased the off brand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Shit man, try being in your late 50s.   You lift weights and your skin still looks like crepe paper. After a time you just say fuck it, I’m letting my hair grow over everything.  Except it only works on your ears. 

qc3ma8iiuq5lyedjirm0.jpg?quality=80&bg-c

 

I ride bikes in the sun and wind and the backs of my hands and wrists get crepey.  This stuff works wonders.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...