2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

On 6/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, Helobious said:

Nice little qualifier there. The Yankees are so fucking good they split a series with you even though they never took one at bat with a lead. Can’t wait for judge to slam his gavel dick across your faces at that juicebox tomorrow.

that post aged well, congrats on losing to the Space Cowboys

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

A League of Their Own came out 30 years ago tomorrow, and is still one of the most perfect movies ever made, and I'd be willing to fight you if you disagree.

Marla Hooch lives in Spring and can still swing the bat:

American Pastime cages. Now I'm upset I've never seen Marla Hooch there. 

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I thought, "Maaaaybe those only look terrible because of the lighting."  Nope:

ff_4390895-fee074c81ba8c8fea80dalt1_full

Was sherbet invented in San Diego?

At least that would make a lick of sense...

glee-rachel-berry.gif

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

2-run walkoff for Buxton against Balt. 

i hate to say it but i'm just waiting for him to slide wrong and end up on the 60 day DL. he's the Joel Embiid of baseball- any time he plays 85% of a season he's an MVP candidate; he just never plays 85% of any given season. if i owned Buxton in fantasy right now i would trade the shit out of him. i hate his injury record, but it is what it is. hope he overcomes it this year. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Pretty sure it's to put in perspective how terrible Gallo is. And how good Gwynn was. 

The 27 Ks in Gwynn's last three seasons is a bit misleading since he only played 36 games in his next to last year and 71 games in his last season.

More impressive to me is he averaged 29 strikeouts / year over a 20 year career.  Still lower than butthead Gallo's total for the month.

Going through some lists about career strikeouts / season numbers, Gwynn is in a class of his own which most of us already know.  But the only dudes close to him that most of us may have heard of are Lou Boudreau (30 SO / season), Joe DiMaggio (34 SO / season) and Yogi Berra (32 SO / season).  Jackie Robinson's numbers are not complete, but he was around 29 in the major leagues.

Quintessential slap hitters with zero power that I knew of growing up like Ozzie Smith and Johnny Ray were in the high 30's.

Most of the guys with a lower SO / season mark than Gwynn have names like Rip, Pie, Sparky, Irish and Skeeter.

• Haha 1