Stranded dolphin dies after Texas beach goers try to ride it

The Maestro

Quintana is quite an....interesting beach experience.  Still has that old "anything goes" vibe.  Last time I drove over there to check it out on a weekend, they had all kinds of mobile vendors set up, including a guy who had set up full mexican fruit stand -- was selling the great little fruit cups of ice cold diced fruit, agua fresca, and raspas.  Folks were having a GOOD time.  And yeah, this event totally checks out.

On 4/16/2022 at 11:27 PM, StruggleBus said:

Fuck dolphins. Hated them since my wade fishing experience in Laguna Madre back in ‘94. Velociraptors of the sea, man. 

Dolphins saved my grandfather’s life when he went swimming in the Pacific for a couple of days after his ship got torpedoed.  They scared off the sharks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Dolphins saved my grandfather’s life when he went swimming in the Pacific for a couple of days after his ship got torpedoed.  They scared off the sharks.

And that’s not a unique story. I’ve heard lots of similar stories. Here’s one example:

And it goes both ways:

Dolphins are cool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

im gonna steal this survivorship story and use it as my own.  thnx.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 8:06 AM, slorch said:

I much prefer the stories where bears or bison/ elk/ etc fuck people up because they tried to get the perfect selfie.

My absolute favorite story when I was living in Montana. You can also add people falling into the thermal pools or geysers in Yellowstone to the list.

Edited by Seasick Sailor

On 4/16/2022 at 8:48 AM, hookemATL said:

At least they didn’t try to fuck it. We are making progress, one avoidable instance of group beastiality at a time. Go America!

It's only been dead a day or so, give it time.

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Pennsyltucky 

Either way you’ve mentioned coal mining trash country. I’ve been to The Zoo. As a collective they’re worse than any Florida contingent. 

Florida: Texas, bitch please. Don't try to out trash us.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/20/dolphin-stabbing-death-florida

Wildlife officials in Florida are investigating the mysterious death of a bottlenose dolphin that was recovered on a beach with an apparent stab wound to the head.

The mammal, which was found on Fort Myers beach in the south-west of the state on 24 March, is believed to have been killed deliberately, probably while it was being fed illegally by humans.

• Rage+1 2

• 1 month later...

These are the stories I alluded to up thread...

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/06/01/bison-gores-woman-yellowstone-national-park/

Bison gores woman in Yellowstone National Park

Bison are unpredictable and can run three times faster than humans.
Bison are unpredictable and can run three times faster than humans.(Source: National Park Service)
Published: Jun. 1, 2022 at 4:28 AM CDT|Updated: 8 hours ago
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) - A bison has gored a 25-year-old woman in Yellowstone National Park.

A park statement says the bison was walking near a boardwalk at Black Sand Basin, just north of Old Faithful, when the woman approached it Monday. She got within 10 feet before the animal gored her and tossed her 10 feet into the air.

The woman from Grove City, Ohio, sustained a puncture wound and other injuries.

Park emergency medical providers responded and transported her via ambulance to a hospital in Idaho.

Park officials say it’s the first reported bison goring this year.

Park regulations require visitors to remain more than 25 yards away from bison.

Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

Bison are unpredictable and can run three times faster than humans.(Source: National Park Service)
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) - A bison has gored a 25-year-old woman in Yellowstone National Park.

A park statement says the bison was walking near a boardwalk at Black Sand Basin, just north of Old Faithful, when the woman approached it Monday. She got within 10 feet before the animal gored her and tossed her 10 feet into the air.

Park emergency medical providers responded and transported her via ambulance to a hospital in Idaho.

Easily my favorite Darwin awards. 

10 hours ago, davidg said:

Too bad he wasnt' on a boat where he could fire up the outboard and get that hand under the hot pee stream.

Those days are mostly long gone too, at least on most of the 4strokes. . My pisser doesn’t even get more than warm. Still scalding coming out the prop though.  I have crystal clear memories of one of the toughest guys I know going from extreme pain, ray hit deep into ankle area, to calm and collected as soon as his foot hit that bucket of hot water.  It was if someone gave him morphine.  Team #shufflefeet 

22 hours ago, slorch said:

I am surprised you don't see reports like this every day from Yellowstone.  People will get out of their cars and stand in the midst of these behemoths.  I was recall this when talking about stupidity there.  This and the time I saw about 20 people standing around a tree taking pictures of a black bear cub.  My wife wanted to get out.  Basically said, 'No.'.  She got pissed.  Drove around the back of that area and we see the ass end of Mama bear charging up the hill towards that cub.  Don't know what happened but wife had the look of 'Oh, I see now'

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, slorch said:

hey cool, let's go stand near this animal with swords attached to its head swung by neck muscles 3 feet thick

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 7:32 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

And that’s not a unique story. I’ve heard lots of similar stories. Here’s one example:

And it goes both ways:

Dolphins are cool.

Why do they give a shit about a diver?

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Why do they give a shit about a diver?

I don’t know. I don’t know what it’s like to be a dolphin (or a bat). But they’re intelligent mammals. So are whales. I watched a rerun of an episode of Nature last night about whales and they documented numerous examples of times when whales protected other creatures, humans and otherwise, from predators. Apparently humpbacks really don’t like orcas. 

14 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Orcas do like to separate calves from momma whales and drown them, so I understand the resentment. Or kill an adult and eat only their tongue. Pretty cold-blooded bastards for mammals.

What’s wild was that they had footage of orcas that had killed the calf of another whale, I want to say it was a grey whale, and some humpbacks came and protected the carcass and chased the orcas off. They talked about how a tail slap from a humpback can kill an orca, and how their huge pectoral fins which can be 16 ft long make them especially dangerous. And yet they’ll let humans get pretty close to them and film them and their young without becoming aggressive. They often seem to be as curious about us as we are about them.

Don’t get close to them while they’re mating, though. They had an account from one diver who did that and a humpback male became hostile and knocked him unconscious. He survived. Did you know that the humpback penis is 12 ft long? Hello, ladies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Don’t get close to them while they’re mating, though. They had an account from one diver who did that and a humpback male became hostile and knocked him unconscious. He survived. Did you know that the humpback penis is 12 ft long? Hello, ladies. 

Oh, is that considered big?

Edited by Serak The Preparer
  • Haha 2

What’s wild was that they had footage of orcas that had killed the calf of another whale, I want to say it was a grey whale, and some humpbacks came and protected the carcass and chased the orcas off. They talked about how a tail slap from a humpback can kill an orca, and how their huge pectoral fins which can be 16 ft long make them especially dangerous. And yet they’ll let humans get pretty close to them and film them and their young without becoming aggressive. They often seem to be as curious about us as we are about them.

That’s why they didn’t even feel it when McAfee raped them.