Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ll wager the new Big 12 will have a lot of Friday night games.  Probably even a few double headers with an Eastern time early and a Mountain time late.

Yeah, I think that's part of the deal. We play KSU tomorrow night. I don't like it, but I get why it's necessary. I remember OU saying they couldn't host Friday games because of traffic, lol. We knew what was going on there, the new Big 12 will have to take what we can get.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, I think that's part of the deal. We play KSU tomorrow night. I don't like it, but I get why it's necessary. I remember OU saying they couldn't host Friday games because of traffic, lol. We knew what was going on there, the new Big 12 will have to take what we can get.

I love Friday games, personally.

Each school would host, at max, 1 per year.  If you're going, just take a day of PTO and make a 3 day weekend out of it.  Then you have all day Saturday to watch the other games stress free.  I wouldn't want it every week, but it won't be that.

If it's a road game, that's even better.  Start the weekend off right.

That B1G schedule- adding USC, Oregon, UW and UCLA has doubled doubled the number of compelling games. 

I wonder- did Fox and ESPN let the PAC die, so that in the new SEC and B1G, they get so many more national interest games? The SEC and B1G will dominate the major channels. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The IR8 don’t get- it’s not just NIL creating separation. That’s a huge part of it, but the media contract disparity is also huge. That media money isn’t going to facilities or upgraded amenities. It’s going to fun the scouting and personnel staffs that are required if a program is going to scout the entire US, HS through all levels of college football. 

Notice how many “hits” Texas recruiting is getting lately? How the three stars aren’t so much “reaches” anymore. They shouldn’t be- they’re not being scouted by a position coach looking at Hudl in his free time. There are real, professional football scouts working full time at finding players. 

We’re settling into a system where the blue bloods have more booster money for NIL and more media money for personnel staff. I look at the Baylor and OSU boards and they’re bitching about Aranda and Gundy not working hard enough to find the “jewels in the rough” they built their programs on!😂

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

The IR8 don’t get- it’s not just NIL creating separation. That’s a huge part of it, but the media contract disparity is also huge. That media money isn’t going to facilities or upgraded amenities. It’s going to fun the scouting and personnel staffs that are required if a program is going to scout the entire US, HS through all levels of college football. 

Notice how many “hits” Texas recruiting is getting lately? How the three stars aren’t so much “reaches” anymore. They shouldn’t be- they’re not being scouted by a position coach looking at Hudl in his free time. There are real, professional football scouts working full time at finding players. 

We’re settling into a system where the blue bloods have more booster money for NIL and more media money for personnel staff. I look at the Baylor and OSU boards and they’re bitching about Aranda and Gundy not working hard enough to find the “jewels in the rough” they built their programs on!😂

No wai, never thought of that. 

What I'm seeing on the OSU board is dumbass complaints that we don't pay enough in NIL (some saying we don't have NIL at all which is false), because we obviously have the same money as the bluebloods, and all we have to do is pay up and the five stars will come flowing in. We'll never win a bidding war, no point in trying. Same reason we rarely recruit 5 stars unless there is a real connection or genuine interest. Not worth the effort for such low chance of actually getting them to sign.

The disparity between bluebloods and the next tier has always existed. The real problem is the media contract disparity and the absolute absurdity of realignment that has two teams from San Francisco playing in a conference named for the Atlantic fucking Coast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

"...Conference schedules will include 12 protected matchups that will continue to be played annually and feature a combination of historic and geographic rivalries, as well as trophy games. These matchups were finalized in conjunction with all 18 member institutions to ensure the traditions of the Big Ten Conference remain strong as the conference evolves. 

The guaranteed annual protected matchups are Illinois-Northwestern, Illinois-Purdue, Indiana-Purdue, Iowa-Minnesota, Iowa-Nebraska, Iowa-Wisconsin, Maryland-Rutgers, Michigan-Michigan State, Michigan-Ohio State, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Oregon-Washington and UCLA-USC...."

Only 12 protected matchups.  Iowa gets 3, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan get 2, all the rest but Penn St. get 1.  PSU gets zero.

So for PSU, its 11 schools 3 times and 6 2 times over 5 years.

For Ohio St. and the schools with 1, its 8 3 times and 8 2 times and 1 5 times.

For Michigan and the schools with 2, its 5 3 times and 10 2 times and 2 5 times.

For Iowa its 2 3 times and 12 2 times and 3 5 times.

I think its a mistake not to have at least two every year rivals for everyone.  It would be like Michigan's schedule, still with 5 3 times and the rest twice in 5 years.  You could add something like UCLA-UW, USC-Oregon, Ohio St.-Penn St., Penn St.-Maryland, Michigan St.-Indiana, Nebraska-Minnesota and throw in Northwestern-Rutgers.  Iowa and Minnesota get 3.

• Like 1

I think the legal fight for the PAC12 cash reserves is going to be magnificent. OSU & WSU think the $40mill sitting in the back is theirs. That money didn't just appear there, the 12 members of the conference earned that money. The 10 defectors will want their 12th.  Also some of the network monies coming from the OTA and cable companies are on a seven year payout. Meaning the PAC12 is still receiving money from games played all the way back in 2016. So the PAC12 will still be receiving money from this years games in 2030. The 12 teams that earned that money will want their third. OSU & WSU will argue that they abandoned some or all that revenue. This is a messy divorce and the blood letting will be a blast.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, John80 said:

I'm glad the B10 is protecting the sacred Rutgers-Maryland football game that is watched by ten people. 

Why did they even bother to make that protected unless it was simply because the rest of the B1G wanted to make sure they would play both less frequently?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Michigan is going to have a pretty brutal 2024 as will Texas

Michigan 2024 highlights
Texas, Ohio State, Washington, @Oregon, @USC

Texas 2024 highlights
Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, @Michigan, @Arkansas, @Texas A&M

Talk about a far cry from both teams 2023 scrub marathon schedules

3 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Boo for not making the west coast schools play in the Big noon kickoff time slot at home at 9am pacific...that would have been so funny to watch.

image.thumb.png.cc0de6962284570873e4aad50634860b.png

But since that’s just for home games that doesn’t mean they won’t have to travel across the country to play a 9am jet lag game at Penn state. 

Why do people think Riley is afraid of competition? Leaving Oklahoma for LA is very understandable. The PAC is a significantly tougher Conference than the B12. The B1G will be, too. 

It is right now. The Pac has been absolute shit compared to the Big 12 for the past 15 years, including when Riley went there.
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

I think the legal fight for the PAC12 cash reserves is going to be magnificent. OSU & WSU think the $40mill sitting in the back is theirs. That money didn't just appear there, the 12 members of the conference earned that money. The 10 defectors will want their 12th.  Also some of the network monies coming from the OTA and cable companies are on a seven year payout. Meaning the PAC12 is still receiving money from games played all the way back in 2016. So the PAC12 will still be receiving money from this years games in 2030. The 12 teams that earned that money will want their third. OSU & WSU will argue that they abandoned some or all that revenue. This is a messy divorce and the blood letting will be a blast.

e9e443c5-c40d-4452-aeb7-4c570314a194_text.gif.f1acff537a2a63ea2cbaaf3c662b1a2a.gif

Lulz.

Looks like UW gets to visit Iowa next season. I should ask [mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention]what not to do when we visit (besides betting the over).
Iowa State sounds more fun.

Iowa’s a lot of fun. I’d imagine the experience as a non-rival visitor is pretty similar to going to an ISU game.

The biggest difference is that ISU has a way more traditional tailgating set up. Jack Trice was built off the edge of campus on what was farmland in the 70’s. It has tons of parking surrounding the stadium, and people roll in buses, vans, RVs, etc as far as you can see.

Kinnick is older and built in what’s become a fully residential neighborhood. There’s little regular parking, but all the houses in the neighborhood throw big ass yard parties. As a Washington fan, you can walk around with some beer and people will invite you in.

If you’re an Iowa State, Minnesota, or Nebraska fan, they’ll throw beer at you.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn the Big Ten loves them some Iowa rivalries. I don’t get it.

I guess Iowa’s former AD pleaded to keep them, and no one else had a problem with it.

It does help buffer Iowa from the seriously good programs, and the universe has always been more than willing to toss Iowa a lucky break.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa’s a lot of fun. I’d imagine the experience as a non-rival visitor is pretty similar to going to an ISU game.

The biggest difference is that ISU has a way more traditional tailgating set up. Jack Trice was built off the edge of campus on what was farmland in the 70’s. It has tons of parking surrounding the stadium, and people roll in buses, vans, RVs, etc as far as you can see.

Kinnick is older and built in what’s become a fully residential neighborhood. There’s little regular parking, but all the houses in the neighborhood throw big ass yard parties. As a Washington fan, you can walk around with some beer and people will invite you in.

If you’re an Iowa State, Minnesota, or Nebraska fan, they’ll throw beer at you.

What I've noticed in my trips to Mordor (all Gopher roadies down there from 2003 to 2009 plus a couple of basketball games) is that the fans down there are actually decent towards Minnesota fans who come down. You're right about the neighborhood. The gully our group tailgated in at the end of Olive Court is now housing.

Iowa fans that come up to Minneapolis are total shitheads, and have been for a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, heso said:

But since that’s just for home games that doesn’t mean they won’t have to travel across the country to play a 9am jet lag game at Penn state. 

Yeah but thats just kinda sad, Fox nationally broadcasting a game being played in Eugene Oregon at 9am local time, a time thats clearly too early to be playing football, would have been hilarious.

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

What I've noticed in my trips to Mordor (all Gopher roadies down there from 2003 to 2009 plus a couple of basketball games) is that the fans down there are actually decent towards Minnesota fans who come down. You're right about the neighborhood. The gully our group tailgated in at the end of Olive Court is now housing.

Iowa fans that come up to Minneapolis are total shitheads, and have been for a long time. 

They're the worst.  There are a group of guys from the town where I went to elementary school and junior high that go up for every Iowa/Minnesota game and act like they're the fucking Huns sacking Gaul.  Some of these guys are actually pretty smart when they're isolated from that crowd, but man, get 'em together and it's every stereotype that ISU fans hate about Iowa fans.  Granted, you guys could just fill the place yourself for that one.  Minnesota fans bear some responsibility in this arrangement.

One of my best Hawkeye buddies used to live at the end of Olive Court.  It was fun partying at his place prior to El Assico in 2012.  I'm guessing that shithole house is gone now.  Probably adjacent to where you tailgated.  I just assumed that Iowa fans are as shitty to visiting Gopher fans as they are to us.  I've had beer thrown at me twice in Iowa City for just daring to walk down the street in cardinal and gold.  One of the times I was caring ice bags in each hand.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

47 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I'm in waiting for the USC games in mn/wisco/meatchicken (AnnArbor/EastLansing)/(Evanston) ill/happy-valley in future-Novembers on frozen fields in sleet & snow.

FAFO  Lulz.

Right, because Pullman, Boulder, Salt Lake City and Corvallis are garden spots in November?

On 10/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

Jeff Fuller seems like kind of a dumbass with that Texas take, though. 

Anybody who still takes a Canzano as fact is a dumbass.

I don't know if this is the one, but he quotes the Utah president when the Utah president specifically says there was no counteroffer.  They just wanted to go to market.

One of the many big lies from dumbasses in realignment that keeps getting repeated.  Yes, they talked about $50 million, but the Utah president who was supposedly the source said there wasn't a formal counter-offer, the UW president who was on the executive board said he never heard of a counter-offer and the ESPN president said the Pac 12 NEVER made a counter-offer to their final offer.

This seems to be a narrative from Kliavcoff's office to try to deflect blame from the hapless Pac 12 executive office.  Not that the Pac 12 presidents weren't pretty bad too.  But its Kliavcoff's clan trying to preserve their reputation for their next job.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-25-oklahoma-georgia-miami-9b1d078d2d3ee3436b9a8c7269112d59

Basketball isn't that important in realignment, but sometimes the stars align:

"...The traditional basketball powerhouses continue to shine on the gridiron in 2022.

The top six schools by appearances in the AP men’s college basketball poll are Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA and Louisville.

For the first time in the 87-year history of the AP football poll, all of those schools are ranked at the same time: North Carolina is No. 12, Louisville is 14th, Duke is No. 17, UCLA is 18th, Kansas is No. 23 and Kentucky No. 24...."

14 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Makes no sense.

Geographically they’ll stretch the conference for very little gain. Denver, Salt Lake City, and Phoenix are major airport hubs that are easy to get to. Spokane airport is not. True it’s close to campus which minimizes the bus ride after landing (looking at you WVU) but still it’s not worth the hassle.

As great as the Zags have been in basketball, it’s all based around a single coach. Once Few retires they have no idea  if the program can sustain or not.

Especially in a world run by football, why would you saddle yourself with a permanent members for a short term gain that likely turns out to be a long term headache?

We know realignment isn’t done either with the ACC still ripe for the taking. The Big 12 needs to keep its powder dry.

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Makes no sense.

Geographically they’ll stretch the conference for very little gain. Denver, Salt Lake City, and Phoenix are major airport hubs that are easy to get to. Spokane airport is not. True it’s close to campus which minimizes the bus ride after landing (looking at you WVU) but still it’s not worth the hassle.

As great as the Zags have been in basketball, it’s all based around a single coach. Once Few retires they have no idea  if the program can sustain or not.

Especially in a world run by football, why would you saddle yourself with a permanent members for a short term gain that likely turns out to be a long term headache?

We know realignment isn’t done either with the ACC still ripe for the taking. The Big 12 needs to keep its powder dry.

1) Additions from the ACC would be primarily for football, not basketball. That means basketball focused additions have no large effect on potential additions from the ACC. Perhaps some ACC schools would even consider large basketball brands as a positive.

2) This is in alignment with BY's notion that he can potentially separate basketball and football media rights contracts. That means you can add several non-football additions to increase the value of your basketball media rights.

3) Travel would definitely be a negative if you cannot accomplish (2).

4) Gonzaga is probably a large enough brand that they can now hire a good coach. Especially if the Big 12 can increase the value of their basketball media rights and already respected basketball brand.

I am not saying all of this will come to pass, but I am just saying this is the likely rationale for the addition.

15 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Makes no sense.

There’s no way they’re doing this without the express desire of their TV partners.  Yormark might have some odd fixations, but losing money isn’t one. 

39 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

1) Additions from the ACC would be primarily for football, not basketball. That means basketball focused additions have no large effect on potential additions from the ACC. Perhaps some ACC schools would even consider large basketball brands as a positive.

2) This is in alignment with BY's notion that he can potentially separate basketball and football media rights contracts. That means you can add several non-football additions to increase the value of your basketball media rights.

3) Travel would definitely be a negative if you cannot accomplish (2).

4) Gonzaga is probably a large enough brand that they can now hire a good coach. Especially if the Big 12 can increase the value of their basketball media rights and already respected basketball brand.

I am not saying all of this will come to pass, but I am just saying this is the likely rationale for the addition.

Agree to disagree. BY played a good game with the P12 but I think he’s over his skis with this move.

ACC has plenty of basketball options that also play football.

For example: Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, and Indy UConn

That gets you to 20.

For more football focus they can take NCSU, VT, Pitt, GT could get you to 24.

How does Gonzaga fit in a conference as number 25?

Utah, BYU, AZ, ASU, CU, TT, BU, UH, TCU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, UCF, GT, NCSU, Duke, VT, UL, UC, WVU, Pitt, Cuse, UConn

This is much better final outcome than adding the Zags.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Agree to disagree. BY played a good game with the P12 but I think he’s over his skis with this move.

ACC has plenty of basketball options that also play football.

For example: Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, and Indy UConn

That gets you to 20.

For more football focus they can take NCSU, VT, Pitt, GT could get you to 24.

How does Gonzaga fit in a conference as number 25?

Utah, BYU, AZ, ASU, CU, TT, BU, UH, TCU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, UCF, GT, NCSU, Duke, VT, UL, UC, WVU, Pitt, Cuse, UConn

This is much better final outcome than adding the Zags.

NCSU is almost equal in their preference for football or basketball....almost. They should be a net positive in both

If you could dominate basketball, there's a decent chunk of money to be made off the tourney