Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Parliament

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Wanna take the wife today. What if she’s never seen any of them? Will she need to see the previous ones to follow along?

She'll be fine. You might want to explain the basic rythm of the shows and movies (plot twists, masks, etc).

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1

Was he not de-aged in the tunnel scene with Esai Morales and the Marie character that explains how Ethan joined the IMF? I loved the reveal that this was how IMF got its agents. I only sparingly watched the old show so I wasn't sure if that was also how it happened there. Or did I miss that being discussed before?

Just got back. Really enjoyed it. Time flew by. Perfect summer movie .

Also, I’m getting old. I remember seeing the first one in the theatres…/ 6067e000ef8490c0ed30102e713ed784.jpg

Wanna take the wife today. What if she’s never seen any of them? Will she need to see the previous ones to follow along?

My take on these movies is even though they all have the same characters, each movie is self-encapsulated. Seeing the previous movies isn’t critical.

Great summer flick. Like most everyone else, Tom is freaky personally but he makes great action movies.

Esai is ageless. I wonder how much touch up work he got? Not funny admission - my little brother and I definitely favor one another and he gets compared to Esai, while the best I’ve got has been Parton Oswalt.

Hayley Atwell can be my Brown Eyed Girl anytime. Agree with above that says she made RF look average, and Rebecca Ferguson is smoke.

You will not regret seeing this movie.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Now that’s what a summer blockbuster movie should be. No politics bullshit just good old fashion action. Felt like a kid sitting there watching it. 

I know. I'm sick and tired of movies preaching to me about the next infrastructure bill or the chances of Republicans keeping control of the House in 2024. That's what you mean by "politics", right? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Austinvines said:

Great summer flick. Like most everyone else, Tom is freaky personally but he makes great action movies.

Esai is ageless. I wonder how much touch up work he got? Not funny admission - my little brother and I definitely favor one another and he gets compared to Esai, while the best I’ve got has been Parton Oswalt.

That's not a bad trade, though... Funny with a big set of hooters? You could do worse 

Saw it last night with Mrs. Smwhorn (no pics, I'll cut you man).  

I saw 1, 2 and 3 many MANY years ago.  We did not see 4, 5, 6.  

I was a bit lost at times about some of the relationships and whether there was a history between some of the characters, especially all those on the train toward the end of the movie.  I still thought it was great.  I'll need to watch it again before Part II.  I need to get me some of those masks though.  Those work great . . . . .

‘Mission: Impossible’ Opens to Lower-Than-Expected $56.2 Million

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-16/-mission-impossible-opens-to-lower-than-expected-56-2-million

This movie was thought to be a bellwether for the Summer Blockbusters to come and if it was going to be a great Hollywood Summer (Barbie, Oppenheimer, etc.)

saw it Thursday.  thought it was fantastic if a little long.  I watched 1-5 (all the MI movies are on Paramount+, which i somehow get through my Amazon Prime membership) and the opening of Fallout prior to seeing the current one.

If this does not do well, the studios are going to start slashing budgets because Americans may just be giving less fucks about movies going forward.

38 minutes ago, Longhornsnus said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-16/-mission-impossible-opens-to-lower-than-expected-56-2-million

This movie was thought to be a bellwether for the Summer Blockbusters to come and if it was going to be a great Hollywood Summer (Barbie, Oppenheimer, etc.)

It is all those people watching Sound of Freedom that are poaching the MI ticket sales 🤣

26 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

saw it Thursday.  thought it was fantastic if a little long.  I watched 1-5 (all the MI movies are on Paramount+, which i somehow get through my Amazon Prime membership) and the opening of Fallout prior to seeing the current one.

If this does not do well, the studios are going to start slashing budgets because Americans may just be giving less fucks about movies going forward.

When I got on the inter-nets yesterday morning to see if I could purchase tickets, except for a couple of late afternoon IPIC showings, I pretty much had my pick of any theatre at any time during the day yesterday.  I was surprised by the availability of same day tickets.

Something I realized a while after the movie - the movie was really well made and directed. There were a lot of characters (20?) in the movie but it was always clear who they were, what "side" they were on and what their objective was. Too many action movies introduce characters and never develop them so that the audience cares about their objective. 

6 hours ago, Longhornsnus said:

Audio was horrible, what was the clap back?

I was able to hear every word he said - maybe make sure that your YouTube volume is up, and then check your computer's volume. It was part of a prank TV series or whatever, and Cruise completely took the wind out of his sail.  

On 7/17/2023 at 9:37 AM, Longhornsnus said:

That's 56 million for the weekend but the movie opened on Wednesday

The seventh installment has generated an estimated $80 million in its first five days of release, which is more than “Fallout” ($77.5 million) and “Mission: Impossible II” ($78.8 million) earned in their first five days in theaters. With a stellar 96% on Rotten Tomatoes and a glowing “A” CinemaScore, though, “Dead Reckoning” is likely to remain a force at the box office throughout the summer.

Longevity will be the key but it will be hurt by Barbie and Oppenheimer opening

Really good action flick. The plot was timely too with out of control AI. Nice to have a new enemy besides nazis and Russians. My 12 year old and his friends had trouble following the plot but didn’t care because the action kept them entertained.

We saw Dial of Destiny a couple of weeks ago and thought this was better. Looking forward to Oppenheimer and Haunted Mansion next week.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

I had trouble following the plot (Richie Valens' brother works for a computer?), but really who gives a shit?  It was a great action movie if that's your thing.  Definitely worth the ticket price.  

I want to know how he was hired for that role.

Did the Entity call him on the phone? Does the Entity offer a solid benefits package and work/life balance?
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I want to know how he was hired for that role.

Did the Entity call him on the phone? Does the Entity offer a solid benefits package and work/life balance?

unlimited PTO and you can choose five people to kill each year with no consequences. 

I saw the first Mission Impossible as a kid, haven't seen any of the sequels. I see that the latest is getting good reviews and I want to watch it. Is there any value in binge watching all of the previous Mission Impossible movies or should I just watch the latest one?

saw it opening weekend overall a good summer blockbuster flick.

that being said, there was a kinda large plot hole that sort of impacts the last 45 mins of the movie

Spoiler

yeah, I know, suspension of disbelief, its a movie, yada yada......

a Steam locomotive without a fireman to shovel coal into the firebox would NEVER be able to speed up, let alone keep going for 45 mins without additional fuel.  

-and that doesnt even count the fact the engineers body blowing the STEAM whistle the entire time would have depleted the boiler of steam in mins.

So what? you say. totally understand, its just a movie.

But, its aggravating because the entire plot could have been kept exactly as it was filmed and kept the drama without the scientific error if they had just made it a diesel engine instead of steam.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Just saw this. Pretty generic MI. Was entertained. Was too long. Wouldn't watch it again. Just wasn't convincing about the motivations of any of the plot or characters.

Travo, the plot stands pretty much independently, no need to watch others.

1 hour ago, Travo said:

I saw the first Mission Impossible as a kid, haven't seen any of the sequels. I see that the latest is getting good reviews and I want to watch it. Is there any value in binge watching all of the previous Mission Impossible movies or should I just watch the latest one?

I would start with Rogue Nation since that's the current iteration of the team and the introduction of Rebecca Ferguson's character. That's just two movies to get through. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 1:10 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

saw it opening weekend overall a good summer blockbuster flick.

that being said, there was a kinda large plot hole that sort of impacts the last 45 mins of the movie

Hide contents

yeah, I know, suspension of disbelief, its a movie, yada yada......

a Steam locomotive without a fireman to shovel coal into the firebox would NEVER be able to speed up, let alone keep going for 45 mins without additional fuel.  

-and that doesnt even count the fact the engineers body blowing the STEAM whistle the entire time would have depleted the boiler of steam in mins.

So what? you say. totally understand, its just a movie.

But, its aggravating because the entire plot could have been kept exactly as it was filmed and kept the drama without the scientific error if they had just made it a diesel engine instead of steam.

Spoiler

It was a hybrid....

This was the one thing I had a problem with. Why was Ethan around international terrorists before joining the IMF? It was an unnecessary plot point.

I thought it was a bit convoluted, but he was “given a choice”. Then it became a motivating factor for Hayley’s character and redemption. So, probably not unnecessary.

Saw this evening. Yeah, Cruise is a whack but no one can question his balls and their size. Forgotten Esai Morales played a big part. Wish he had survived longer in Ozark - just one of those actors that can easily send a chill up your spine, even at 60.

On the subject of Cruise and his penchant for doing dumb / amazing shit. A little long at 9 minutes but a really interesting piece on the motorcycle / BASE jump scene:

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...