Wendy's in the Union closes

Celery Man

before wendy's it was called the garden grill.  then they outsourced food services to sodexho, closed down the tavern, sold off pieces to people like wendy's.  there used to be a big party at the beginning of every fall semeseter in the union.  i cant remember what it was called.  it was wall to wall party in the union.  about 20 bands would play, and i bet 100 kegs were consumed.  it was crazy.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

before wendy's it was called the garden grill.  then they outsourced food services to sodexho, closed down the tavern, sold off pieces to people like wendy's.  there used to be a big party at the beginning of every fall semeseter in the union.  i cant remember what it was called.  it was wall to wall party in the union.  about 20 bands would play, and i bet 100 kegs were consumed.  it was crazy.

We used to go to that. Good way to meet and pick up on freshman chicks.

One year I hooked up with a grad student I met at that party. Turned out she was a TA in one of my classes. Yes. I boned one of my TA's before I (or she) knew she was my TA.

Guest Lobo

I'm always happy to see chains go, but this one bums me out a bit.  I can't remember how many times I was hungover, forgot I needed a blue book for a test on a Friday.  So I'd run into the co-op to buy one, then grab something greasy from Wendy's for $3 and head to six-pack.  End of an era. 

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Back in my day we didn't have Wendy's in the Union. Or any other chain restaurant. We had nothing but generic food offerings like "Mexican" and "Deli". That's the way it was and we liked it!!!  #surlyolds

1fpg3n.jpg

good post, except i dont remember the deli.  i can tell you that the burgers at the garden grill were loads better than wendy's.  

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

good post, except i dont remember the deli.  i can tell you that the burgers at the garden grill were loads better than wendy's.  

Yeah, there probably wasn't a deli. I'm just too old to remember what all they had so I was making shit up. But you're right, the burgers were very good. I also remember the burritos being pretty good from whatever the Mexican place was called.

4 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Back in my day we didn't have Wendy's in the Union. Or any other chain restaurant. We had nothing but generic food offerings like "Mexican" and "Deli". That's the way it was and we liked it!!!  #surlyolds

1fpg3n.jpg

Back in my day, where that Quiznos is located across from Wendy's, was the bar.  We'd have pitchers of Shiner Bock for lunch instead of your faggot hamburgers!

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I always just spent my days drinking beer downstairs in the bowling alley. 

it was a texadelphia for a while, iirc

liked getting a pitcher at the cactus after exams

Edited by elfenix

11 hours ago, Facemask said:

Only the quickest Cashier in all the land. He 1997-2001 he was a Campus treasure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve hallucinated more than once but I got to UT in 2003 and I’m pretty sure he was still there. 

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

He was actually murdered.  Hit over the head at a bus stop by a homeless dude.  Really sad story.  How did you guys miss this on the shag?

And that homeless man was Kevin Morgan.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Back in my day, where that Quiznos is located across from Wendy's, was the bar.  We'd have pitchers of Shiner Bock for lunch instead of your faggot hamburgers!

The tavern does not get the appreciation it deserves. Not only could you buy a pitcher of beer on campus, in the student union, at 10:30 in the morning, but lots of people did. It was three deep at the bar during happy hour sometimes, at fucking 3 in the afternoon.

Does anyone recall the specific year that this Wendy's opened?  I think it was sometime during my haunting of the forty acres, so sometime between '89 - '93. As I recall there was some controversy over having a corporate fast food chain come into the Union.

6 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Does anyone recall the specific year that this Wendy's opened?  I think it was sometime during my haunting of the forty acres, so sometime between '89 - '93. As I recall there was some controversy over having a corporate fast food chain come into the Union.

I was there 90-94 and seemed to remember opening toward my junior or senior year.  Maybe an unpopular opinion but I like Wendy’s bean soup (they call it “chili”).

9 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I was there 90-94 and seemed to remember opening toward my junior or senior year.  Maybe an unpopular opinion but I like Wendy’s bean soup (they call it “chili”).

pro tip

get a #2 with just pickles and  large chili (or you call it, bean soup) and pour that over your burger and fries