The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

A boat caught fire Monday on Lake Travis in Bee Creek. It went up fast, but everyone got off & was ok. Looked to be a newer Chris Craft, started in the engine compartment. He put 1 fire extinguisher on it, but it didn’t do much, he bailed after that. 478200f905f28e11a8bcb83fe4926287.jpg
4833e6ac69d55e1e799d81377044ce3d.jpeg
358ccbe9533405598f80449a165a5441.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/29/2022 at 8:52 AM, justhookit said:

Yeah that lake always scared the shit out of me in the 90’s. I can’t imagine what it’s like now.

Boats and water and morons know no bounds though. This holiday weekend one of the most entertaining things to do would be to go to the boat ramp here in Port A with some lawn chairs and a cooler of beer.

Use to do that at the 360 bridge boat ramp, quite entertaining. People know their shit, and the ramp is protected from a south wind at our marina. But the boat ramp across the lake is angled real shallow across the lake and fills up with Rednecks and trashy people on holiday weekends. You can anchor up in the cove to one side and watch the shitshow. Usually two or three fights, and the sheriff gets called a couple of times.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Use to do that at the 360 bridge boat ramp, quite entertaining. People know their shit, and the ramp is protected from a south wind at our marina. But the boat ramp across the lake is angled real shallow across the lake and fills up with Rednecks and trashy people on holiday weekends. You can anchor up in the cove to one side and watch the shitshow. Usually two or three fights, and the sheriff gets called a couple of times.

CHIEF

The crusty pirate looking lobster skinned guides sitting at the picnic table slamming Milwaukee’s Beast loudly judging the fat boys ramp in Galveston always cracks me up. There is usually a fat lab somewhere in the mix. It’s like a “making of” shit show. 2 for 1

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The crusty pirate looking lobster skinned guides sitting at the picnic table slamming Milwaukee’s Beast loudly judging the fat boys ramp in Galveston always cracks me up. There is usually a fat lab somewhere in the mix. It’s like a “making of” shit show. 2 for 1

Froggies in POC is one of the few places that gives me anxiety launching. Dumps you right into the intracoastal, tons of boat traffic and wind, and a peanut gallery to get on you if you fuck it up. I will say I launched there once with just my daughter, who was about 12 at the time. As soon as the peanut gallery saw the situation, 3-4 guys came over and offered to help.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Froggies in POC is one of the few places that gives me anxiety launching. Dumps you right into the intracoastal, tons of boat traffic and wind, and a peanut gallery to get on you if you fuck it up. I will say I launched there once with just my daughter, who was about 12 at the time. As soon as the peanut gallery saw the situation, 3-4 guys came over and offered to help.

Caught some of my biggest reds as a yute in Pringle Lake. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Fishing center gives the bonus of falling in that hole on the south ramp if you back too deep.  I've watched many a non-knowing boater get their trailer caught in that hole and have their day ruined there.  The "Houston, Houston, Houston" chants from the drunks on the bench probably don't help. Right into the ICW, right across from the cut.  Talk about having to have your head on a swivel. 

7 minutes ago, Viking said:

Heading up the Chesapeake to haul out tomorrow when a line of storms caught us. No where to run so we dropped anchor and waited it out. Saw max gusts of 45kt and lightning all around. Living the dream!

Random question Viking. Do you can’t a lot of your own food or is it mostly provisions from port?

Ok I’m back. Never bought a boat last year. Too many inventory and price issues, plus still trying to sort out the fishing vs pleasure boating options. Would like to get the forums opinion on a pontoon boat. We don’t ski or tube anywhere. We just want something for casual fishing and casual  boating with a few friends. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok I’m back. Never bought a boat last year. Too many inventory and price issues, plus still trying to sort out the fishing vs pleasure boating options. Would like to get the forums opinion on a pontoon boat. We don’t ski or tube anywhere. We just want something for casual fishing and casual  boating with a few friends. Thoughts?

Most boat people hate on pontoons, but they are great all around choices for lakes for someone not looking for anything specific. They ride well, haul plenty of people, run shallow if you want to drop a line somewhere, can pull a tube around without issues, etc. I always keep a cheap pontoon because we use it as our base on the water. It’s typically where everyone hangs out and rides the jet ski’s off of, we throw out the large lily pads for the adults to sit on, tie the wakeboard boats up to it, eat on it, etc. I wouldn’t have it as my only boat right now, because we still wakeboard, surf, tube, etc. When the kids are gone, I’ll probably just have a pontoon at the lake and a bay boat at the beach and be done with the rest of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brew said:

When the kids are gone, I’ll probably just have a pontoon at the lake and a bay boat at the beach and be done with the rest of them.

That's where I fall. I'd love to have one as an "extra" boat, but it wouldn't satisfy as the only boat.  But if you like to hang out and entertain considerably more than fish, then it wouldn't be the worst choice. 

23 hours ago, Viking said:

Heading up the Chesapeake to haul out tomorrow when a line of storms caught us. No where to run so we dropped anchor and waited it out. Saw max gusts of 45kt and lightning all around. Living the dream!

Oh man, y'all were out in that? My sympathies. I was out on my bike here in Va Beach and saw the line coming and hauled ass home. Almost made it too before the bottom fell out and crushed me.

I don't know if anyone remembers the wiki spoof called Dickipedia, but my buddy and I always said we need to put an entry for summer squalls. I've gone though more in my life than I care to count.

Edited by G650

On 6/12/2022 at 1:54 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Random question Viking. Do you can’t a lot of your own food or is it mostly provisions from port?

Almost all provisions from port. I try to fish but haven't had much luck having only caught 2 blackfin tuna and 1 mahi this season. Both of those we shared with friends (sushi for the blackfin.. so wonderful eating it just a few hours after it is caught) so they didn't last long. Otherwise we provision from whatever grocery store is nearby. In the Bahamas most of the grocery stores are fairly small but some of the larger islands (Spanish Wells, Marsh Harbor Abacos) have US sized grocery stores. Prior to going to the Bahamas we spend a few grand provisioning particularly for frozen meats and bulky items that are a lot more expensive in the Bahamas, eg chips, crackers, etc.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Oh man, y'all were out in that? My sympathies. I was out on my bike here in Va Beach and saw the line coming and hauled ass home. Almost made it too before the bottom fell out and crushed me.

I don't know if anyone remembers the wiki spoof called Dickipedia, but my buddy and I always said we need to put an entry for summer squalls. I've gone though more in my life than I care to count.

Yeah it sucked but thankfully we didn't get struck by lightning so no harm done. Actually I was happy to have a great fresh water rinse on the boat. Less work for me to do when we haul out!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:13 PM, fattyflattie said:

That's where I fall. I'd love to have one as an "extra" boat, but it wouldn't satisfy as the only boat.  But if you like to hang out and entertain considerably more than fish, then it wouldn't be the worst choice. 

This.  

The other reason I want one if for the excuse to buy this tshirt…

3FE864C9-2FEB-4E8C-939A-1DBC582BD25E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

My daughter's pics will NEVER see the light of Surly, I tell you what.

This is fucked up.  Replica 160ft Herreshof schooner in Spain minding its business at the dock when a Spanish rescue boat's engines get stuck in reverse and sinking her at the dock.  Ouch.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 6/16/2022 at 5:01 PM, G650 said:

The yacht is snugged into the shed in Muskegon for some paint and TLC in preparation for the Chicago Mac race.

17171.jpg

You got room for 1 more?  I won’t fuck anything up - promise.

8 hours ago, CoTex said:

You got room for 1 more?  I won’t fuck anything up - promise.

Unfortunately we are actually oversold. If it's a drifter forecast a couple of the boys are going to ride up in the truck.

You should come get @ChiTownDocand come heckle us from the Navy Pier as we go out though

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Unfortunately we are actually oversold. If it's a drifter forecast a couple of the boys are going to ride up in the truck.

You should come get @ChiTownDocand come heckle us from the Navy Pier as we go out though

Didn’t you guys try to lighten the crew load a few years back in this race?  Let’s not try that again.

Anything big or real fast signed up this year?  Do the Devos folks still have a race boat?

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Didn’t you guys try to lighten the crew load a few years back in this race?  Let’s not try that again.

Anything big or real fast signed up this year?  Do the Devos folks still have a race boat?

Yeah we will only be making that move pre race hopefully.

Pete Thorton has some ridiculous 100 foot ketch he is racing. I think the Devos' sold the big Windquest and only have the TP52 now.

3 hours ago, troph said:

30-60 and 120-150 are touch and go. Inside 30 and down wind are dumb.

120-150 should be awesome in a cat.. was it an issue with the headsail? I assume they don't have good sails and certainly not downwind sails on a charter boat so maybe that's it.

Kinetics look nice. Like a gunboat but a bit more affordable? Have you looked at Balance catamarans? If I had the money a Balance is one of my actually obtainable dream boats.

Their sails are shit at 30 degrees and the sails tight it still fails to maintain speed. Absolutely no downwind sails for sure the Genoa is a piece of garbage too. I don’t know the specs but they out fit them to top out at 6-7 it seems. In 20+ you can do 9-10 knots. 

edit I moved well at 120-135 but at 140 it started to get questionable part of it is truly holding that bearing the wind moves enough around those islands if you get close to 150 it slows … 0-30 is no way at all. 

I definitely want to work with a better sail plan soon. 

st Vincent and the grenadines next, ASA 104 then the ICC or whatever, going to think about joining the local race club here and get more friends who sail then T-minus 5-6 years and we may relocate to southern Europe for a while.  No CR.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fuck it, update for my boat homies…
Took this out for a week… 

C3096A6E-1E74-4149-A20F-AD26F41C6093.thumb.jpeg.f54e81427282bdbfc9055270f24b18b9.jpeg
1685134B-5B7B-44F1-A767-951141A5EF19.thumb.jpeg.593d41d445397151cf66006a2c15a100.jpeg

my crew … Capitan jack sparrow’s homies 
A59D1BDA-A0E4-46B5-8C2B-79367E9AC962.thumb.jpeg.406847fc5f6d8a4856b02a093d56c299.jpeg

fountaine pajot 50… honestly it was a boring ride. Thankfully I had my fiancé to make me drinks and for me to look at. 

0E8F3FFA-D5F3-4FD9-A6CB-226D2724A7CB.thumb.jpeg.61e609f1112ef22dc7679304f4e0ca25.jpeg
7F43647A-FE6A-494D-9EB7-5187E40884D7.thumb.jpeg.622c3ba8dec829f0ddeb29a52a9a7fa5.jpeg
D3233275-229D-426F-975C-8166E432D13C.thumb.jpeg.19349b7208dd39d561f9a64a4d11a6c1.jpeg

some scuba with my sons …  and some modeling at the helm with my buddy. 

732347B1-C4FD-492C-BFFA-559A55FF68B6.thumb.jpeg.da8f0e4a9b31a50e9029e774c2da92fb.jpeg
3EF11BDB-10FF-420A-8E6E-2BC2EE434A31.thumb.jpeg.12f65892bc4e09fab251358ee41cbf28.jpeg

sail set up is bad for these charters and at 12-15 knots of wind we couldn’t push past 7 knots of speed. Angles were atrocious too but we know that. 60-120 degrees off wind is about the only way to sail these. 30-60 and 120-150 are touch and go. Inside 30 and down wind are dumb. 

I want this for now…
kinetic 54 

905BA41C-6FFD-4119-ABDE-90A49CE18BB5.thumb.jpeg.8ea2bdd4c7e0392e5fc841ad65ed206e.jpeg

Gotdam that thing is unreal. Looks glorious

I didn't take any pictures, but my youngest (7 yr old) wanted to go to the lake on fathers day. Texas was sucking so I agreed. We went swimming and he looked out on the water and asked if we could go sailing. Well shit, I am not passing up an opportunity to get out on the water. We ended up sailing for 2 hours or so and he did most of the helming. He was a bit nervous coming into the dock because I made him steer. We were on a broad reach coming to the slip and I told him to just aim for the center of the slip while I timed dropping the main. Little dude drove right into the slip perfectly and even executed the ole speed killing tiller hard starboard and then hard port skull to kill just the right amount of speed at the end. 

I MIGHT have another sailor up and coming. God I hope so. Being a spectator on a 100 degree soccer/baseball field or spectating from the water? I will take the water every day. I just need to keep him on the water!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I didn't take any pictures, but my youngest (7 yr old) wanted to go to the lake on fathers day. Texas was sucking so I agreed. We went swimming and he looked out on the water and asked if we could go sailing. Well shit, I am not passing up an opportunity to get out on the water. We ended up sailing for 2 hours or so and he did most of the helming. He was a bit nervous coming into the dock because I made him steer. We were on a broad reach coming to the slip and I told him to just aim for the center of the slip while I timed dropping the main. Little dude drove right into the slip perfectly and even executed the ole speed killing tiller hard starboard and then hard port skull to kill just the right amount of speed at the end. 

I MIGHT have another sailor up and coming. God I hope so. Being a spectator on a 100 degree soccer/baseball field or spectating from the water? I will take the water every day. I just need to keep him on the water!

Don't you fuck this up

• Like 1