Commander Galloway, why don't you get yourself a cup of coffee?

shadow_operative

We live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a great responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. The luxury of the blind. The luxury of not knowing what I know: That Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and uncomprehensible to you, saves lives. You can’t handle it. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about, you want me on that wall. You need me there. We use words like honor, code, loyalty.  We use these words as a backbone to a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I’d prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I’d suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

We live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a great responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. The luxury of the blind. The luxury of not knowing what I know: That Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and uncomprehensible to you, saves lives. You can’t handle it. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about, you want me on that wall. You need me there. We use words like honor, code, loyalty.  We use these words as a backbone to a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I’d prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I’d suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post.

i applaud this because the small errors means you did it from memory and not copy and paste from imdb.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i applaud this because the small errors means you did it from memory and not copy and paste from imdb.

i noticed the luxury of the blind as well.  i also noticed the omission of "places you don't talk about at parties".

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve never watched this one 

Oh, hah, I'm sorry, I keep forgetting. You were sick the day they taught movies at movie school.

There’s nothing on this earth sexier, believe me gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote ‘em all, I say, ‘cause this is true. If you haven’t gotten a blow job from a superior officer, well, you’re just letting the best in life pass you by.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:54 PM, shadow_operative said:

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

I love that line. Kevin Pollack was underrated in that movie.

• Like 2

This movie is one example of why Aaron Sorkin is a pretty damn awesome screen writer.  Malice, Charlie Wilson's War, Moneyball, Sports Night, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (I know it only lasted one season, but I thought it was really good), Newsroom.  The guy can write some great dialogue. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

This movie is one example of why Aaron Sorkin is a pretty damn awesome screen writer.  Malice, Charlie Wilson's War, Moneyball, Sports Night, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (I know it only lasted one season, but I thought it was really good), Newsroom.  The guy can write some great dialogue. 

the american president, the social network, molly's game, trial of the chicago 7, steve jobs, oh, and about 100 episodes of the west wing he wrote by himself.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the american president, the social network, molly's game, trial of the chicago 7, steve jobs, oh, and about 100 episodes of the west wing he wrote by himself.

Of course on West Wing -- obvious omission.  I'm binging it now (on Season 3) having never seen it before.   

I thought American President was schmaltzy when I saw it back in the 90s.  Maybe I owe it a second chance.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Of course on West Wing -- obvious omission.  I'm binging it now (on Season 3) having never seen it before.   

oh man, i am envious.  seasons 1-4 are masterful (2-4 especially).

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I thought American President was schmaltzy when I saw it back in the 90s.  Maybe I owe it a second chance.

it's a little hokey in the way that west wing season 1 was hokey.  but yes, you should watch it again.  it's strangely more relevant than ever.

When West Wing came out I thought it looked a bit too preachy, and assumed it had a liberal bent.  Hell, I'm a bleeding heart two decades later, but was more moderate back then, and a political drama just didn't appeal to a mid-20s South Austin.

To be fair, it does have a liberal bent overall.  But it's damn good writing.  And it hardly feels dated given how relevant so much of the subject matter is today.

Back on point . . .

Why does a Lieutenant junior grade with a track record for plea bargains get handed a murder case? Could it be so it never sees the inside of a courtroom?

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

oh man, i am envious.  seasons 1-4 are masterful (2-4 especially).

it's a little hokey in the way that west wing season 1 was hokey.  but yes, you should watch it again.  it's strangely more relevant than ever.

Our POTUS is dating?

LOL( agree on watching it again)

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

Newsroom nearly offsets all his great work. Nearly.