Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My point on my grandmother's death was that they were both legal products -- misused.  It isn't the fault of the product.  It is the fault of the user.

The takeaway is -- some people really suck.  Laws and rules will never change any of that.

Carry on.

Laws and rules from other jurisdictions seem to do a good-enough job of keeping the casualties of "people who suck" to a minimum

33 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

x1000.  Neither cars nor alcohol weren't designed for the specific purpose of killing.  Stupid, stupid analogy.  But deep down, you knew that.

Also last I checked you need a license to drive and it can be revoked for many reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My point on my grandmother's death was that they were both legal products -- misused.  It isn't the fault of the product.  It is the fault of the user.

The takeaway is -- some people really suck.  Laws and rules will never change any of that.

Carry on.

Right.  And it was a terrible point.  I could buy a hammer and smash someone over the head with it.  It's would be a "misused legal product" by your definition.  To suggest that guns and cars are just two equal examples of misused products is, well, nevermind.  If you can't honestly see the difference. what's the point?.  

• Like 1

I'll reiterate something I said elsewhere. If the hog problem is really that bad, and I think it is, that's a government problem that the Lege should be working to solve, not leaving it to individual land owners to deal with it piecemeal. Take the money that Abbott is wasting on his pointless border stunts and spend it fixing the fucking hog problem, or the electric grid problems, or the mental health care crisis in Texas, or anything else that actually has some value aside from boosting Abbott 0.3%, leaving him tied with "Someone Else" in the Presidential primary polls. 

I think it’s the aggies that are figuring out that shooting hogs makes the problem worse. You have to take out the whole sounder at one time.

9 minutes ago, Woland said:

I think it’s the aggies that are figuring out that shooting hogs makes the problem worse. You have to take out the whole sounder at one time.

Sure, but the aggies like to fuck the hog before they shoot it

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Carry on.

And my takeaway from this is it's the same dumb motherfucking argument that gun people have been using for decades and it's fucking dumb and you should feel bad for having this opinion and fuck off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Interesting that the same people who think every American has the right to concealed carry an AR-15, also thinks the solution is to throw people in prison for a vague threat to "kill everyone," presumably without any jury trial or evidence of an actual criminal statute that was violated.

Huh? There's very little overlap in those groups.

1 hour ago, Woodrow Call said:

I think about this a lot. If they would change their minds if the violence hit too close to home. I honestly don't believe they would. They're that deranged. 

It would be more deranged for them to change their stance once it impacts them. That would indicate that it was never about principles AND they have zero empathy.

Carry on.

Except for the fact that your own example proves your conclusion 100% wrong, sure.

Stricter DWI laws and enforcement have materially lowered DWI accidents/fatalities. Laws literally had the desired effect. Sure, DWI still happens some because people do suck. But good laws make it happen less.

I am so sick of this patently and demonstrably false argument.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:
Vein.
Is English your first language?

Future Yacht owners dont need to spell for shit though.

Well, it wasn’t really spelling, but misuse of the word. I’ll be in trouble when I can’t even snark correctly. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Except for the fact that your own example proves your conclusion 100% wrong, sure.

Stricter DWI laws and enforcement have materially lowered DWI accidents/fatalities. Laws literally had the desired effect. Sure, DWI still happens some because people do suck. But good laws make it happen less.

I am so sick of this patently and demonstrably false argument.

Cool.  Illinois gun laws are the equivalent to the DWI laws you are citing.  99.5%+ of people follow the law and don't commit murder.  Should everybody else's rights be infringed because of freaks like this guy (who is the type of person that the Illinois red flag law obviously was directed towards)? 

• Fuck You 1

Carry on.

And kids under 21 can’t buy alcohol.

And car owners need to take a test, get a license, register their vehicles, have adequate insurance etc.

So we good with passing the following laws?

-No one under 21 can purchase or own a gun.
-All gun owners must take a test and pass it.
-All gun owners must have a Training Permit for a year before getting a Gun Owner License.
-All gun owners must register all their guns with the state and local government.
-All gun owners must have a minimum amount of Gun Liability Insurance.

Sound good?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

Cool.  Illinois gun laws are the equivalent to the DWI laws you are citing.  99.5%+ of people follow the law and don't commit murder.  Should everybody else's rights be infringed because of freaks like this guy (who is the type of person that the Illinois red flag law obviously was directed towards)? 

Do you like to get on planes that have a 99% quality rate?
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

And car owners need to take a test, get a license, register their vehicles, have adequate insurance etc.

-All gun owners must have a Training Permit for a year before getting a Gun Owner License.
-All gun owners must register all their guns with the state and local government.

Sound good?

No, no, because reasons.

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Should everybody else's rights be infringed because of freaks like this guy (who is the type of person that the Illinois red flag law obviously was directed towards)? 

To quote Jim Jeffries:

That’s the thing. “Why should I have my guns taken off me? I’ve done nothing wrong.” Look, I agree with you. If you’re a responsible gun owner and you don’t fuck around with them, then you should be allowed your guns. You really should. But that’s not how society works. We have to play to the 1% that are such fuckwits they ruin it for the rest of us. We have to walk as slow as our slowest person to keep society fucking moving, right? I take drugs like a fucking champion, right?

We should all be allowed to take fucking drugs, but we can’t, can we? Because Sarah took drugs and she stabbed her fucking kids. Oh! “Oh, thanks, Sarah. You fucked it up for everyone.” Right? Everyone should be allowed to drive their car as fast as they can do it, right? But we can’t because Jonathan got drunk and ran over a family. “Thanks, Jonathan!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I disagree, vehicular deaths are a wonderful analogy.  Until 2021, cars were the biggest killer of children in the US.  But good news, it is now the second-biggest killer behind guns!

Vehicles deaths are, just like guns, a problem mostly unique to the US when compared to other developed nations.  And like guns, we refuse to do anything about it because we value our freedoms and comforts over anyone else's safety.

image.thumb.png.dc695234bd126c7011bd0059d0d5c37b.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Failed state.
It's even better, we have a pretty good chance someone, really multiple people, severely wounded in this incident will need to beg online for help with health care expenses even if they have been paying out the ass for Healthcare for years.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Biggus Duckus said:

I disagree, vehicular deaths are a wonderful analogy.  Until 2021, cars were the biggest killer of children in the US.  But good news, it is now the second-biggest killer behind guns!

Vehicles deaths are, just like guns, a problem mostly unique to the US when compared to other developed nations.  And like guns, we refuse to do anything about it because we value our freedoms and comforts over anyone else's safety.

image.thumb.png.dc695234bd126c7011bd0059d0d5c37b.png

Love how they use the age range of 15-24 to make sure that they include all of the gang shootings as "children or youth" violence.

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

YES, THAT IS HOW LAWS WORK.

I literally cannot have a few drinks and drive home from the bar - it is forbidden by law. I’m a fine driver when buzzed, it’s a short distance, and I don’t drive fast. 99.9% of the time, shit, if I stop at 3-4 drinks, 100% of the time, nothing bad will happen. Yet….because some people do get drunk, drive like shit and kill people, I can’t do that. Something I might like to do, and do safely….I can’t. Because enough people do it dangerously that we pass a law that applies to everyone.

I’m also a good shot, and am very mindful of what’s behind my target. I have a large backyard, and could set up a shooting range where I could shoot at least a .22 safely, o harm to my neighbors. Yet, we have uniform laws forbidding the discharge of a firearm inside the city. Because some people would not do so safely, and the consequences of that can result in dead people. So, my ability to have a .22 range in my backyard is taken away by another law of general applicability.

I can do this all night, if that’s what it takes for you to get the point. I’m sorry the answer here is something that you don’t like. Maybe you also like driving home after 4 beers, and having a gun range in your back yard in the city. I’m sorry the answer to those questions is also something you don’t like. But shit like that is the bedrock of any functioning society.

I literally explained this with the Jim Jeffries quote earlier.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Love how they use the age range of 15-24 to make sure that they include all of the gang shootings as "children or youth" violence.

That chart is not the research that shows gun deaths for "children" surpassed vehicle deaths.  The chart was just meant to show how high up in the rankings cars were.  You can see that link here, where their metric for "children" is ages 0-19:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2201761

Edited by Biggus Duckus

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I literally cannot have a few drinks and drive home from the bar - it is forbidden by law. I’m a fine driver when buzzed, it’s a short distance, and I don’t drive fast. 99.9% of the time, shit, if I stop at 3-4 drinks, 100% of the time, nothing bad will happen. Yet….because some people do get drunk, drive like shit and kill people, I can’t do that. Something I might like to do, and do safely….I can’t. Because enough people do it dangerously that we pass a law that applies to everyone.

I’m also a good shot, and am very mindful of what’s behind my target. I have a large backyard, and could set up a shooting range where I could shoot at least a .22 safely, o harm to my neighbors. Yet, we have uniform laws forbidding the discharge of a firearm inside the city. Because some people would not do so safely, and the consequences of that can result in dead people. So, my ability to have a .22 range in my backyard is taken away by another law of general applicability.

I can do this all night, if that’s what it takes for you to get the point. I’m sorry the answer here is something that you don’t like. Maybe you also like driving home after 4 beers, and having a gun range in your back yard in the city. I’m sorry the answer to those questions is also something you don’t like. But shit like that is the bedrock of any functioning society.

Your analogy seem to indicate that nobody should be allowed to drive because some people might abuse that right.

• Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Biggus Duckus said:

That chart is not the research that shows gun deaths for "children" surpassed vehicle deaths.  The chart was just meant to show how high up in the rankings cars were.  You can see that link here, where their metric for "children" is ages 0-19:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2201761

Thanks.  17-19 are not children.  Would be interested in how that cohort skews those numbers.

So are you now advocating for Prohibition?  We tried that before.  Some people just suck and criminals don't follow rules and laws.

Outline, in detail, what your plan to solve the American pandemic of mass shootings would be. Then, tell us if you vote for politicians that would propose and enact your ideas. Show your work.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Outline, in detail, what your plan to solve the American pandemic of mass shootings would be. Then, tell us if you vote for politicians that would propose and enact your ideas. Show your work.

He's a child.  You are asking too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
2 hours ago, HenryJames said:
Failed state.

It's even better, we have a pretty good chance someone, really multiple people, severely wounded in this incident will need to beg online for help with health care expenses even if they have been paying out the ass for Healthcare for years.

100% chance.  I have family in Highland Park, who were thankfully not at the parade.  But I've already seen requests related to a family of 4, all of whom were wounded and need surgery, and help paying for the four hospitalizations.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Sound good?

Don’t forget that certain types of vehicles are not legal for use on the street. Which is to say there is a ban on certain vehicles that don’t belong on the street with every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants one. Seems like that logic might be useful here too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Those laws don't "literally" prevent you from driving over the limit or shooting in your backyard, they simply mean there will be consequences if you're caught. 

Existing gun laws are analogous to today's drunk driving laws. You can possess alcohol. You can use alcohol. But there are limits to the use for the safety of others. The left's current proposals on gun rights, and effectively the right to self defense, range from prohibition to say, only banning wines and spirits because why would you ever want more than a beer? 

Love me a brisket analogy

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Your analogy seem to indicate that nobody should be allowed to drive because some people might abuse that right.

Young people are not allowed to drive. Blind people aren’t. People with a bad history aren’t.

There’s a spectrum. With driving. With guns.

Ban all guns for everyone ——> allow all guns for anyone.

Ban all driving by anyone ——> allow anyone to drive anything.

Our laws fall somewhere in between. The only question is where. But there’s no question that they work. Hardly any fatal accidents are caused by 12 year old drivers. Hardly any shooting deaths are caused by belt fed .50 cals.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1