Austin FC

Bottlecap

Front office needs to spend some money for some scoring before this team squanders all of its initial goodwill. Americans like scoring. We like winning. AFC isn’t doing either. Never seen a team so offensively challenged. 

There is literally nobody with a shooter’s heart or touch up front. Focused all their planning on midfielders (who have underwhelmed) and got lucky with a veteran keeper. Back line is meh, forwards are….not great.

Again, Fagundez and Stuver are the highlights. Dominguez is….ok. Don’t have much great to say about the rest. Maybe they’ll gel more as time goes by, but a daring forward (I’ll take someone who takes ill-advised shots, because at least he’d be taking shots) would help a lot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think last night showed what the midfield looks like without Ring . . . and its not pretty.   

We obviously need to add a true goal scorer with the third DP spot.  We maybe should also switch up the tactics/formation to allow Fagundez freedom to operate further upfield with less defensive responsibility.  He currently looks like the closest thing to a natural goal scorer on the team, but he is being asked to do a lot.      

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think last night showed what the midfield looks like without Ring . . . and its not pretty.   
We obviously need to add a true goal scorer with the third DP spot.  We maybe should also switch up the tactics/formation to allow Fagundez freedom to operate further upfield with less defensive responsibility.  He currently looks like the closest thing to a natural goal scorer on the team, but he is being asked to do a lot.      

Agreed. Ring seems to look best when compared to how the team is in his absence: totally lost.

Agree with the rest as well. They’ve got to do something to tune up the attack. Freeing up fagundez would be one way.

11 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Fagundez covered the entire midfield by himself last night. No help from Berhalter or Poxhettino.

11 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I get it’s a dead horse by now. Pochettino can’t start next game.  He just had two horrible giveaways.  We t can’t get worse. 

He’s proof that you can’t sign just any Argentine midfielder, you really do need someone who can play. ESPECIALLY if they are taking in DP money. 

Pochettino may have the apellido (last name), be from Argentina, play the guitar & sing for a town like Austin, but Boca Jrs didn’t sell him to a club in Córdoba for no reason. The dude just isn’t very good. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

this game was more entertaining anyway

Didn't watch - just kind of following their scores. MLS in person is fun but I can't quite get myself to watch it on TV. It's definitely headed in the right direction and the talent is there - but stylistically it seems a couple decades behind big time soccer. A lot of dumping and chasing and sloppiness inside the box. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

803 bus VERY crowded today. Getting here a little later than previously but bus I’m on is totally packed and we haven’t picked up people at very busy stops from Allandale onward.

I'm curious how this bus route handles the games. That is how I expect to get there and especially back.

Also, it seems like the turf has issues. There were chunks getting knocked out even in the first (WNT) game, and there was at least one giant divot tonight. I can't wait to go though.

Missed the first game due to vacation but made this one. Such a good time. Parked in the orange lot about 100 yards from the stadium. Got there 90 minutes early to be safe but could’ve been 30 minutes and it would’ve been fine. Wanted Valentinas but the line was like 100 people deep and they’re probably still in line. My seats are near the supporters so that was really fun. Had a Love Street. They should be selling Live Oak to keep with the tree theme. Leaving took 15 minutes to turn left on Braker. Overall pretty simple travel to and from the stadium.

The match is definitely a test for vaccinations. I saw maybe 20 masks total. 18 were on stadium staff.

Ring showed his value, particularly in contrast with the Minnesota game, when he was scratched. Good and smart distribution.

Stuver continues to be damned good.

I still love Fagundez - again, his motor never quit, and he made some outstanding steals and interceptions.

Sat right behind Gallagher’s fiancée. She’s tiny and sweet. And I didn’t have to badmouth Gallagher, so that was nice. He had some nice efforts, but….Jesus, the inability of this club to finish is maddening.

One of my son’s friends joined us for this match - he’s heading to play soccer in Spain this fall (Academy, functionally fourth division). He had similar thoughts - he was really pleased with the possession and control, and thought they really looked like the better team on the pitch, but damn do they need a striker.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Should've subbed out Pochettino for mane and dropped cecilio back. Pochettino has such bad soccer iq.

The last run from Cecilio in the box (coming down the left flank) reminded me that there's a reason he started the season there. He and Manneh actually challenged defenders one on one out wide. I like Stroud and Gallagher, but they don't seem to add more than running really hard out wide. They don't have the confidence to challenge a defender head-on. 

I also said a few weeks ago Cecilio is better at doing what we are trying to get Pochettino to do, but I'm not sure who would play up top if you drop him to the midfield. That's the conundrum Wolff is in. If you send Cecilio back out wide we got nobody worth a shit to play 9, if you move him back then we still got nobody to play 9. 

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

The last run from Cecilio in the box (coming down the left flank) reminded me that there's a reason he started the season there. He and Manneh actually challenged defenders one on one out wide. I like Stroud and Gallagher, but they don't seem to add more than running really hard out wide. They don't have the confidence to challenge a defender head-on. 

I also said a few weeks ago Cecilio is better at doing what we are trying to get Pochettino to do, but I'm not sure who would play up top if you drop him to the midfield. That's the conundrum Wolff is in. If you send Cecilio back out wide we got nobody worth a shit to play 9, if you move him back then we still got nobody to play 9. 

i love cecilio on the left flank.  i think that's where he's at his best.  kekutah can play that same position though he lacks the defensive capabilities CD has.  stroud is really good with getting the ball to the end line and whipping in crosses.  he's also better at cutting in from the right flank than he is the left, which is good b/c gallagher is good at that from the left.  but yeah we need a striker.  the best finisher we have from inside the box is probably cecilio which isn't ideal at all.  from outside the box the only threats we have are fagundez and pochettino and i think that's why pochettino gets so much run.  

13 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Should've subbed out Pochettino for mane and dropped cecilio back. Pochettino has such bad soccer iq.

This.  Having seats in the first few rows of the 230s makes it really easy to see plays develop - Pochettino repeatedly carries into double coverage instead of choosing from two easy, open passes.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

This.  Having seats in the first few rows of the 230s makes it really easy to see plays develop - Pochettino repeatedly carries into double coverage instead of choosing from two easy, open passes.

Definitely seen this. He'll also see someone streaking down the side, look them off for other options, and then pass to them after the defense has caught up to them. It's so frustrating, but I'm pretty sure I've seen multiple players do this. It slows down the entire attack and is frustrating. We look most dangerous counter-attacking using speed down the sides, but Poche doesn't seem to value that option.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:01 PM, pantone159 said:

I'm curious how this bus route handles the games. That is how I expect to get there and especially back.

Also, it seems like the turf has issues. There were chunks getting knocked out even in the first (WNT) game, and there was at least one giant divot tonight. I can't wait to go though.

Looks like they pulled up the outside 18 yards of turf all the way around and replaced it between last week and this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Rumors of signing Sebastian Driussi (St. Petersburg) as a striker -- anyone have any nice scoop on that?

https://oopstop.com/driussis-agent-said-that-at-the-moment-the-player-remains-at-zenit/

“It is not true. At the moment, he remains at Zenit, – quotes Berman “Sport-Express”…

Last season, 25-year-old Driussi made 22 appearances for Zenit, scoring two goals and providing four assists.

Earlier it was reported that Zenit wants to buy the striker of the Polish national team.

2 goals in 22 games? Sounds like he's an excellent fit for our system. 

• Haha 1