Tennessee Tech @ Texas: Austin Super Regional Thread

Horny Bull

The single most interesting thing may be the gradual, but certain turnaround that the pitching staff, or big chunks of it, underwent in the last 25-30 games.  They were a total shit show the first half of the season, but gradually pulled their shit back together over the latter half of the season. 

Remember, their regular season ERA was at about 4.5, pretty historically bad.  But they have trimmed it to 4.09 by now, and post-season it's 1.67, as jimmyjazz notes.  And, I think we have gained perhaps a little more perspective on the talent level of the staff (rather than relying on what we thought they did last year).  So, the early to mid-season bitching was not unwarranted, but the turnaround has been impressive.

Also, I hope that away/neutral doesn't prove our undoing.  And I do wonder about Augie influence.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Man that was stressfull. What theoretically would be wrong with a nice 1-2-3 ninth inning?  Glad to be goin back to Omaha and thanks to coach Pierce for putting Texas baseball back on the map. 

Hope aggy had had a nice time watching Texas win and chewing on rocks. 

34 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Watched the postgame recap show. Galindo with this gem “this game was for the Aug-dawg” in reference to Augie. 

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!

this.  his schtick is so tiresome and worse just bad.  his timing is horrendous.  he probably works cheap though and probably sucks up to the right people to keep his job.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

if you have been watching this team all season, we do a fantastic job of advancing a leadoff runner from 1st to 2nd with a bunt...... but after that our RISP hitting percentage is really fucking bad. 

I'm obviously really happy we won, this team earned Omaha, and considering that there was a time this season we were just hoping to do well in the Big 12 tourny, us getting to Omaha is a massive achievement.

That being said, our inability to do much with RISP is gonna bite us in the ass real shortly here.  By my count we went 3-9-1 on Sundays game with RISP, and 2-5-1 (no clue how to score the pop-fly run scoring error) today.

meaning that for the 2 wins combined we basically  got 5 hits in 21 chances with RISP. .  Removing the FC from Sun and error today gives us roughly a  .263 BA  with RISP. 

That fucking blows. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I'm obviously really happy we won, this team earned Omaha, and considering that there was a time this season we were just hoping to do well in the Big 12 tourny, us getting to Omaha is a massive achievement.

That being said, our inability to do much with RISP is gonna bite us in the ass real shortly here.  By my count we went 3-9-1 on Sundays game with RISP, and 2-5-1 (no clue how to score the pop-fly run scoring error) today.

meaning that for the 2 wins combined we basically  got 5 hits in 21 chances with RISP. .  Removing the FC from Sun and error today gives us roughly a  .263 BA  with RISP. 

That fucking blows. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I’m not suggesting we do this, just asking: might it help Zubia to be moved to the 2 spot on front of Kody?

too slow.  clogs up the bases.  he's in the right spot.  need a decent stick with some power behind Kody so they can't just pitch around him all the time. hamilton and duke just need to pick it up a bit.

Nope. Zubia just needs some trust in his eyes/hands, a little confidence that he can trust what he sees. He is jumping at the ball and guessing too much, he is too good a hitter to not trust his talent. I expect him to be much improved, year after year. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We won a Supers with our 2nd best hitter being McKenzie this weekend. That makes me laugh. 

Augie would always say that it's players you don't expect to produce who lead you to a championship. 

is it me or have we not pinch hit in either the regional or the super?  I don't really remember a pinch hitter for the opposing team either. Augie did more of that it seems.  Pierce doesn't do the offensive timeout thing either.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

is it me or have we not pinch hit in either the regional or the super?  I don't really remember a pinch hitter for the opposing team either. Augie did more of that it seems.  Pierce doesn't do the offensive timeout thing either.

We havent pinch hit at all in the post-season, and not much before.  I think part of that is that there aren't any real good options for it.  Aint no Chris Carmichaels on our bench.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Indiana pinch hit a couple guys. i don't think we have anybody worth coming off bench to pinch hit.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We havent pinch hit at all in the post-season, and not much before.  I think part of that is that there aren't any real good options for it.  Aint no Chris Carmichaels on our bench.

yeah but mostly I think Pierce just doesn't want to change the fielders.  He doesn't trust the other guys.  Todd was the only real replacement it seemed.

Todd came back for 1 game and pretty sure he was in center. He was injured in that same game. 

I think the plan was going to be start Todd against lefties and start Shaw against righties. Then use the player (Shaw or Todd) on the bench as a potential pinch hitter based on pitching match ups. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Lulz.  Zubia clogging up the bases would take a massive improvement on his part.  

I'm just saying he can't score from first on a double.  no reason to hit him in front of Kody.  to me you could change any one of Petrinsky, Hibbler, or Zubia  4 through 6.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm just saying he can't score from first on a double.  no reason to hit him in front of Kody.  to me you could change any one of Petrinsky, Hibbler, or Zubia  4 through 6.

He can score from first on a homer, something that Ellis hasn't been able to do in the last two weekends.  

(I'm saying that "base clogging" would be a very secondary problem with our offense.)

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

That fucking blows. 

Ya, we’ve been playing not that great. Still going home to Omaha...

Imagine if we put a good performance together 

Got my popcorn ready