2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

My guess would be Ewers is named the starter a week from today.

And by a week from today, I mean next Monday. A week from yesterday. 

Sark better name him as soon as he's confident he's the guy. Give him all the reps he can get.

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is listed at 5’11, so that shouldn’t be a big issue. Jamison 5’10. Muhammad is listed at 5’11.5, so the rule can’t be that strict

My first thought was that coaches would negative recruit our 5’11” corners with this, but I’d love to see a coach tell a 5’11” football player they aren’t 6’ and see how that goes for them 

11 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

7488c2eb7303486ad52389533e409cdd.jpg

yeah, take that shit to the basketball board

"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me -- red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me. Because it's disrespect to my game." - Larry Bird

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m all in on cheering for the possibility that he’s gone full Lattimer from The Program in order to merit more playing time. 

8 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

image.gif.fddc40fd4d4b3eb49a6df35c34fffc61.gif

CSB:

I'm not sure if this guy is actually a Longhorn fan or not, but I saw him walking around the tailgates back in the early/mid 2000's in burnt orange attire several times. Got to hang around the guy a couple times, and he seemed nice enough. On a side note, after the guy left the tailgate, I was tossing a football with another tailgater and I threw an absolute gem of a pass from about 15 yards away heading right into his hands. Unfortunately, an older lady (mid 50's, who saw us throwing the ball) turned from her conversation and walked right in front of the pass as it was coming to rest in my buddies hands and hit her square in the nose/left cheek of her face. Smash, Arghhhh, Boom, splayed on ground. She was fine after some attention and ice, but she may as well have taken a punch from a MMA fighter. I felt terrible, until game time. 

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

I used to live in apartments in Arlington across the breezeway from two strippers.  They had a motto, "When you come to a strip club you arent getting F'd, but you will get F'd. 

I guess those girls never made it to Houston clubs. "I've seen some shit that would turn you white!" - Ernie Hudson, Ghostbusters

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Heard this stat on the Longhorn Blitz podcast this afternoon. Last year on 3rd down and 10 or more….QB’s were 17 of 21 for 229 yards against Texas. 81% completion. 

Eighty. One.

Well that’s not very good. I seem to remember feeling super shitty when our defense had 3rd and long…so yeah, makes sense

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Heard this stat on the Longhorn Blitz podcast this afternoon. Last year on 3rd down and 10 or more….QB’s were 17 of 21 for 229 yards against Texas. 81% completion. 

Eighty. One.

It does beg the question, how many first downs?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Eighty. One.

We were god-awful on third downs, but I'm not necessarily sure this is the stat to illustrate that... a five yard completion on 3rd and 12 is a good defensive play.  Would need to see conversion rate, which - if memory serves - was still way too fucking high.   

41 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Heard this stat on the Longhorn Blitz podcast this afternoon. Last year on 3rd down and 10 or more….QB’s were 17 of 21 for 229 yards against Texas. 81% completion.         Eighty. One.

Babers is full of so many bullshit stats just to fit his narrative -- it really cracks me up sometimes.  He should have focused on stats for 3rd down conversions on 3rd and 10+ vs completion percentages...

Rod needs to quit using so many stats all the time. He should learn from Tommy Boy:

"You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it? "

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Babers is full of so many bullshit stats just to fit his narrative -- it really cracks me up sometimes.  He should have focused on stats for 3rd down conversions on 3rd and 10+ vs completion percentages...

Rod needs to quit using so many stats all the time. He should learn from Tommy Boy:

"You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it? "

That one is the perfect stat to get an immediate angry reaction. 2 seconds later you realize it really lacks information. I remember OU hitting a 50+ yard play on 3rd and long. That is 20% of the yards on a single play. It is a brilliantly deceiving stat 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Eighty. One.

So Burt you jackwagon you were wrong. It was 17/21 not 17/25.

I don’t think you were actually quoting the same thing though.

At least 3 of those were low percentage plays versus OU. Killers they were. And I don’t know but I’d guess we were good at keeping the opponent out of 3rd and 10. Less than 2 per seems like not many.

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Smartass answer: Neither. Give me the 2005 squad.

Real answer: In today's age, give me the unstoppable offense, and below average defense. Especially if said offense can be great at both quick strike and ball control.

2018 LSU Proved that 

I get the overall premise of your point but 
1) we do not have blue chip athletes at every spot
2) The 2-4-5 IS the 4-2-5. Literally one of the only differences is the defensive ends have some LB responsibilities. Who would we deploy at DE in a 4-3? Ojomo and Sorrell? It’s the same issue we face right now.
3) Ash did not like to recruit and was attached at the hip with Valai, who was a joke. So you keep those two and Hutzler and Drayton and Coleman and that point why are you even making a coaching change? The defense was not all sunshine and roses in 2020.
4) and yes, every coordinator in the history of the world on both sides of the ball run “their schemes”. It’s what got them the job. No coach at any level in any sport is just going to start winging it with stuff they aren’t familiar with/comfortable with. PK ran a ton of 3 man front stuff the second half of last year which is not what he typically does. It didn’t help. Saying he just continually tried the same stuff over and over is not accurate. We had MAJOR weaknesses at all 3 levels. No scheme in the world could cover up for that.

I definitely disagree that scheme couldn’t have helped. We played a scheme that didn’t fit the players and doesn’t fit who we’re recruiting. Remember when Greg Robinson came in mid season and made something out of the _iaz shitshow? We just needed not bad last year and we could have been 8-5
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

just thinking of a player that was better in the NFL, than as a Longhorn. Wasnt in anyway a knock on Phillips.

It felt to me like Geoff Swaim barely caught anything at Texas so I was surprised to see him stick in the NFL for awhile.  And sticking with the TE position, Jermichael Finley was decent at Texas, but ended up being one of the best at his position his short time in the NFL

That one is the perfect stat to get an immediate angry reaction. 2 seconds later you realize it really lacks information. I remember OU hitting a 50+ yard play on 3rd and long. That is 20% of the yards on a single play. It is a brilliantly deceiving stat 

I said 3 OU plays. One was actually 3rd and 5.

They had 81 yards on 2 big catches. The early step out of bounds, you’re not out of bounds play then the Mims incredible TD play.

I know OSU hit a screen for 24 yards on a 3rd and 11. In a quick scan of that game, I saw them get 11 on 3rd and 12. Then there was an incompletion.

So that’s about half the yards on 4 completions.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So Burt you jackwagon you were wrong. It was 17/21 not 17/25.

I don’t think you were actually quoting the same thing though.

At least 3 of those were low percentage plays versus OU. Killers they were. And I don’t know but I’d guess we were good at keeping the opponent out of 3rd and 10. Less than 2 per seems like not many.

Yeah, my stat was something like passes of 15 or 20 yards plus. Either way, all these similar stats show we sucked at defending the deep ball. 

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

And I don’t know but I’d guess we were good at keeping the opponent out of 3rd and 10. Less than 2 per seems like not many.

That’s a very interesting way to spin the fact that we were constantly getting torn up on 1st and 2nd down runs. 

4 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I definitely disagree that scheme couldn’t have helped. We played a scheme that didn’t fit the players and doesn’t fit who we’re recruiting. Remember when Greg Robinson came in mid season and made something out of the _iaz shitshow? We just needed not bad last year and we could have been 8-5

What scheme would have fit our personnel last year? We had no DE/edge players worth a damn, especially against the pass. Hell, without Ossai in the bowl game in 2020 we started Reese Leitao and Jett Bush at jack so that’s what our depth chart looked like. No scheme fits Brenden Schooler and BJ Foster at safety.

Greg Robinson didn’t have some secret sauce. He just came in and said “why the hell are we blitzing defensive tackles all the way from Cedar Park on random downs?”. Once we stopped doing that, things looked component.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

OB practice notes from today

Spoiler

Here are some notes, collected via multiple OB staffers, regarding Tuesday's closed practice; the first of fall camp in full pads. 

- Sources close to the team say Coach Sark was not at all pleased with the practice. As an offensive-minded coach, you'd figure this likely had to do with the execution on offense more than anything going bad on the defense. 

- Indeed, we heard from separate sources that the defense certainly won the day in team drills. 

- Sark reportedly told the team after practice that it is a good time for them to be scheduled to receive a day off on Wednesday. He reportedly expects the team to come back on Thursday with better focus. It was a hot day and a late afternoon practice on Tuesday, along with being the first one in pads, so a little bit of acclimation and dust to knock off is not necessarily to be unexpected. 

- There has not been significant movement between QBs Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers, per all sources. "Separation needs to happen at some point," one source said. 

- One source even mentioned Maalik Murphy (to an untrained eye) looked about as good as the others. 

- The offensive line likely had a lot to do with both Ewers' and Card's uninspiring days while playing with the first offense. "(Now that the pads are on), the defense was caving them in," one person said. LT Andrej Karic reportedly had a rough day along with RT Christian Jones and C Jake Majors. 

- The second offensive line unit, chalk-full of true freshmen, also goes against both the ones and the twos in live, full-pads team drills. Just the same as the starters. The young bucks reportedly "looked better" than the first unit going against the same sets of defenders. With a day to watch tape tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if any are inserted, or at least given some run, with the first OL. Now would certainly be the time to start trying this kind of thing out. 

- It's telling that two different sources mentioned Andrej Karic struggling at LT, but also mentioned his backup, Kelvin Banks, showing out well for himself with the second group ... 

- TE Ja'Tavion Sanders reportedly had a play that showed how hard he's going to be handle in the open field with the ball in his hands. He was the recipient of a quick toss that looked dead-to-rights when he caught the pass, but was able to break that tackle and break into free space. "It took two DBs to slow him down and a third to take him to the ground," one person said. 

- If things looked tough on offense, it at least means things had to look a lot better among the defense they were going up against: 

- NT Byron Murphy was mentioned as getting run with the starters at nose and giving Jake Majors real issues. Also getting some work with the first group on the interior DL was DT Vernon Broughton, although the group really does appear to be a mix-and-match bunch also including Keondre Coburn, T'Vondre Sweat, Alfred Collins, and Moro Ojomo. 

- DL Kristopher Ross was mentioned as a guy who reportedly had a nice series at one point, specifically beating backup C Conner Robertson to blow up an inside-run on one play. 

- Also mentioned among defensive depth was DE Jaray Bledsoe who apparently would have had a sack if the QB wasn't off limits. 

- One flashy play on defense reportedly came from freshman DB BJ Allen Jr. "he got off his block from the tight end and made a nice first hit (on the running back) that led to a gang-tackle TFL."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

That is an unexpected way to say the defense was shitty

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB practice notes from today

Hide contents

Here are some notes, collected via multiple OB staffers, regarding Tuesday's closed practice; the first of fall camp in full pads. 

- Sources close to the team say Coach Sark was not at all pleased with the practice. As an offensive-minded coach, you'd figure this likely had to do with the execution on offense more than anything going bad on the defense. 

- Indeed, we heard from separate sources that the defense certainly won the day in team drills. 

- Sark reportedly told the team after practice that it is a good time for them to be scheduled to receive a day off on Wednesday. He reportedly expects the team to come back on Thursday with better focus. It was a hot day and a late afternoon practice on Tuesday, along with being the first one in pads, so a little bit of acclimation and dust to knock off is not necessarily to be unexpected. 

- There has not been significant movement between QBs Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers, per all sources. "Separation needs to happen at some point," one source said. 

- One source even mentioned Maalik Murphy (to an untrained eye) looked about as good as the others. 

- The offensive line likely had a lot to do with both Ewers' and Card's uninspiring days while playing with the first offense. "(Now that the pads are on), the defense was caving them in," one person said. LT Andrej Karic reportedly had a rough day along with RT Christian Jones and C Jake Majors. 

- The second offensive line unit, chalk-full of true freshmen, also goes against both the ones and the twos in live, full-pads team drills. Just the same as the starters. The young bucks reportedly "looked better" than the first unit going against the same sets of defenders. With a day to watch tape tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if any are inserted, or at least given some run, with the first OL. Now would certainly be the time to start trying this kind of thing out. 

- It's telling that two different sources mentioned Andrej Karic struggling at LT, but also mentioned his backup, Kelvin Banks, showing out well for himself with the second group ... 

- TE Ja'Tavion Sanders reportedly had a play that showed how hard he's going to be handle in the open field with the ball in his hands. He was the recipient of a quick toss that looked dead-to-rights when he caught the pass, but was able to break that tackle and break into free space. "It took two DBs to slow him down and a third to take him to the ground," one person said. 

- If things looked tough on offense, it at least means things had to look a lot better among the defense they were going up against: 

- NT Byron Murphy was mentioned as getting run with the starters at nose and giving Jake Majors real issues. Also getting some work with the first group on the interior DL was DT Vernon Broughton, although the group really does appear to be a mix-and-match bunch also including Keondre Coburn, T'Vondre Sweat, Alfred Collins, and Moro Ojomo. 

- DL Kristopher Ross was mentioned as a guy who reportedly had a nice series at one point, specifically beating backup C Conner Robertson to blow up an inside-run on one play. 

- Also mentioned among defensive depth was DE Jaray Bledsoe who apparently would have had a sack if the QB wasn't off limits. 

- One flashy play on defense reportedly came from freshman DB BJ Allen Jr. "he got off his block from the tight end and made a nice first hit (on the running back) that led to a gang-tackle TFL."

Every time I see "OB notes" I expect to laugh at a bunch of fiction that has a few facts sprinkled in the notes... 

Not sure what to believe in today's notes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Every time I see "OB notes" I expect to laugh at a bunch of fiction that has a few facts sprinkled in the notes... 

It is pretty hard to take them seriously after some of their reporting over the years (“Swoopes over Buechele and it’s not close”), but I’m sure a note or two is accurate.

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

It felt to me like Geoff Swaim barely caught anything at Texas so I was surprised to see him stick in the NFL for awhile.  And sticking with the TE position, Jermichael Finley was decent at Texas, but ended up being one of the best at his position his short time in the NFL

When Swaim was targeted I remember him catching just about everything. He’s a great consistent blocker. League longevity for that is a shoe in

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

scale of 1-10… Is there a single group on the defense that you would rate 6 or higher 

groups:

Interior DL

Edge

LB

CB 

Safety 

Not right now. Interior DL has that potential but no idea if it will actualize. Maybe CB could have that potential as well. Not sufficient talent at Edge, LB or safety to be above average imo. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Is that supposed to somehow make it better?

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Didn't read it until you commented because it's OB. Maybe they got themselves a real source? One of the more believable things I think I have ever read from them.

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Didn't read it until you commented because it's OB. Maybe they got themselves a real source? One of the more believable things I think I have ever read from them.

OB has pushed the narrative the last 2 or 3 practices that both QB’s are not doing much. They are really pushing the “Maalik Murphy looks just as good as the two guys in front of him!”

TFB, 247 and IT have all said that both QB’s have been solid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB has pushed the narrative the last 2 or 3 practices that both QB’s are not doing much. They are really pushing the “Maalik Murphy looks just as good as the two guys in front of him!”

TFB, 247 and IT have all said that both QB’s have been solid. 

Yeah, that is the most unbelievable part. The rest seemed pretty good. Media always driving some narrative though. I guess if they report something different they can get more clicks and subscriptions.

8 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I just went over this (I did it quickly by hand, I so apologize if something is off).. These stats are not for the weak nor the timid

DFEI   Pts/drive ranking
2021 52 PK 95
2020 40 Ash 49
2019 45 Orlando 61
2018 30 Orlando 31
2017 7 Orlando 11
2016 44 Bedford 61
2015 41 Bedford 72
2014 12 Bedford 14
2013 22 Diaz/Robinson 30
2012 47 Diaz 75
2011 3 Diaz  10
2010 29 Muschamp 36
2009 3 Muschamp 8
2008 4 Muschamp 20
2007 42 Akina 43

I think the craziest statement is that the defensive expectations have become so low, that people view Ash as a homerun. 

I don't know that people thought Ash was a homerun but he at least appeared competent.

My hope is PK(Patterson) can reverse the great to shitty trend of the last 3 guys.  It is wild that we 've had to fire the DC every three years.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The point was one or 2 catches can really inflate those numbers. Completing passes on 3rd and 10+ isn’t alarming. Lot of defenses will  leave the underneath stuff open. Who cares about a 5-8 yard gain. The bigger stat was how few there were, because we know sacks didnt account for many of the 3rd and 10 passing opportunities. Just highlighting that it’s probably a bad number, but that stat is missing a lot of information. 

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Yeah, that is the most unbelievable part. The rest seemed pretty good. Media always driving some narrative though. I guess if they report something different they can get more clicks and subscriptions.

They have members of their subscriber base now who are asking why is Maalik not getting mentioned in the QB competition he should be in the mix to start week 1. Which I’m assuming is actually what they want. Zig while everyone else zags.

• Haha 1

So you wouldn’t be ok with a 20% conversion rate over an 81% conversion rate?

The idea on 3rd down is to get off the field. And preferably not leave you in a makeable 4th down.

So if we gave up 15 on a bunch of 3rd and 20s, who gives a damn.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They have members of their subscriber base now who are asking why is Maalik not getting mentioned in the QB competition he should be in the mix to start week 1. Which I’m assuming is actually what they want. Zig while everyone else zags.

So they are pandering to their subscribers just to watch them be crushed. That's kinda evil no. Funny, those nitwits deserve it for paying that fat lying cheese guzzling fucktard a dime.