2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Card hasn’t done any of those things he expects of Ewers and he’s proven that in a big moment he will absolutely shit the bed. Card mastered the playbook so well he can’t put Ewers away? Card is so good at check downs he throws a lot of picks? Wtf is going on around here. If card starts I’ll have a lot more free time this fall. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Honestly, I couldn't care less who gets named starter as a black and white decision. My biggest issue is how this will affect peoples willingness to give to NIL. If whoever was involved in the package to get Ewers here feels slighted by Card starting, it could have large reaching impact. Our donor base, in one aspect or another is largely why we will see an improvement along the offensive line this year. I don't want this decision to hurt that in the future. Furthermore, it's not "just" a win/loss ratio. Do I want a championship? Absolutely. However I also don't want to see the Manning family watch Sark fumble this QB competition to the tune of another losing season and they jump ship. 

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That wasn’t a big secret at the time and certainly isn’t now.

I didn’t say it was a secret I said I remember you claiming to have players telling you that. Whyvaren’t you posting what your player friends are saying now?

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I had to chuckle at this paragraph:

b. Card has a lot of support in the locker room, including some key veteran pieces of the offensive puzzle. The kid has kept his head down and just kept grinding away when a lot of people thought he should have hit the road and entered the Transfer Portal. Having the job in week one won't mean that he still has it in week 12, but I didn't think it was possible he could win this job. That dude has earned my respect. 

Ketch was the #1 UT talking head back in the Winter/Spring promoting the idea that Card should just enter the portal & don't bother competing with Ewers for the QB1 job. Fuccing moron.

Anyways based on this article, can we now assume all the talk last season about how Casey Thompson was a hard worker watching film & studying the playbook was probably not an exaggeration?

pound for pound, ketchup is the least knowledgeable prognosticator out there. If he'd only lose some weight...

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Sark just likes to drag this out but really nobody cares except for the superfans here following every second of practice. We shouldn't read anything into him taking his time naming the starting QB, that just might be how he does things.

Until Card is announced and the big media names and rival schools use it as a negative recruiting opportunity especially from the portal side. 

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Honestly, I could care less who gets named starter as a black and white decision. My biggest issue is how this will affect peoples willingness to give to NIL. If whoever was involved in the package to get Ewers here feels slighted by Card starting, it could have large reaching impact. Our donor base, in one aspect or another is largely why we will see an improvement along the offensive line this year. I don't want this decision to hurt that in the future. Furthermore, it's not "just" a win/loss ratio. Do I want a championship? Absolutely. However I also don't want to see the Manning family watch Sark fumble this QB competition to the tune of another losing season and they jump ship. 

How much less could you care?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Until Card is announced and the big media names and rival schools use it as a negative recruiting opportunity especially from the portal side. 

If Ewers is named, the local media will roast sark for going with him because of NIL pressure after they all witnessed Card outplay him all offseason. 

Keep fucking that chicken, picking a hill to die on and beating that dead horse…

if only all this opining would actually pick us a starting QB…

Lots of “pro tips” and “history lessons” on football. Plenty of stats. 

It’s a bit of a fucking shit show and I here for it.

Probably hear something from Sark on his decision on Monday or Wednesday of next week. Or it’s a test and he’s told the team some shit and just waiting for someone to leak it so he can forcibly shove them in the transfer portal. I do like that there’s not much coming from the locker room. That’s great. Maybe all the warts have been weeded out. 

We don’t need anymore bad actors. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Shut up dude. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read in my life and I myself have said a lot of dumb things.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Using that logic, nobody on our roster has played football for an entire year. 

No wonder we suck, the whole team is rusty! Seems unfair. 

Pretty damn close to it. But no one else has either. 

Point is Ewers could not be anywhere near ready to do what we need him to do. And if played he could suck royally. Prepare for it

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Shut up dude. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read in my life and I myself have said a lot of dumb things.

Reality is that will happen. Dismiss it all you want but we get negative recruited about every fucking thing. Major media markets will eat it up too because that’s what they do regarding Texas. 

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

If Ewers is named, the local media will roast sark for going with him because of NIL pressure after they all witnessed Card outplay him all offseason. 

that's like asking about a one-handed clap or a tree falling in the forest. Outside of people who've lived here for the last 30 years, who pays attention to the local media?

31 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

RT will be better than last year IMO, maybe only slightly but I believe to be better especially depth wise. I'm making the assumption that Majors made improvements, I don't think that is a stretch. I didn't see any issues with him in there Tuesday. I thought I said RG would be an improvement....whatever, you get the drift. My point is, overall, there is a significant talent infusion on both sides of the ball.

I just don’t see RT being better. Kerstetter was solid. I think overall pass blocking will be improved. Banks at LT is the main reason. I am a bit concerned about the run blocking. Angilau was one of the better run blockers and I don’t think that gets replaced. He was moved to improve run blocking at center. I don’t think his replacement at  guard will be a better run blocker. 

16 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

The fuck are you talking about? They haven’t seen shit. They’ve watched 10 minutes of warmups of a few practices, the spring game (where Ewers was better) and a single open practice. That’s it. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB War Room (cover your eyes @BurntOrange&White)

Hide contents

In one of the more shocking sentences that I'm ever going to write, it appears that Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is leaning towards naming third-year sophomore Hudson Card as his starting quarterback against La-Monroe. 

When Sark said on Thursday that he has a "pretty good idea" of who he will name, he was talking about Hudson per more than a half-dozen sources with knowledge of the situation. 

This is where we are 16 days away from the season-opener.

Could things change? Yes. Is it likely at this point? 

The current state of things is such that the players involved and those close to the players seem to know the score. But, I think we've all learned to never say never. 

So, how has this happened?

To put it as simple as possible, Ewers just isn't ready to be the starter from the mental side of things at the position. 

He's not as advanced in front of the chalkboard inside of the quarterback room as he needs to be. What the coaches want from him at the position isn't showing up on the field. Basically, he's a work in progress and there's a feeling inside the program that only now is he truly learning the importance of being an all-in performer with regards to devotion to the playbook and learning every angle of the offense.

On the other side of the equation, Card is an all-in guy from a playbook and study habits perspective, and then being able to explain it all in meetings with coaches.

Both players have committed turnovers throughout the last two weeks, but when it comes to understanding the ins and outs of what is expected from the quarterback position, Card apparently has a large lead.

Is this final? No. Could something happen in the next few days to completely change the current momentum? It seems unlikely, but not impossible.

There is a scrimmage on Saturday and it's not impossible to think that Ewers could have such an overwhelming performance that it change the trajectory of the battle. Yet, as Sark said on Thursday, "he's got a pretty good idea" of what he's going to do. He certainly didn't indicate that the battle was in a position where Saturday would dictate his decision. 

I'll be honest with you when I tell you that if we thought Ewers was a single performance away from winning the job, I wouldn't be writing this report. Knowing the arrows that will almost certainly come my way, I'd just kick the can down the road and tell you to wait until Saturday.

Yet, the depth of our sourcing on Thursday and the messaging coming from it is such that writing this first section of the War Room is unavoidable. It would be a complete disservice to all of you for us to live in Pretend-Land for a few days because we still have Tyrone Swoopes/Shane Buechele night-sweats.

The bottom line is that our sourcing, which is deep and varied, was openly talking about this like it was a done deal or something close to that.

A few more notes about the quarterbacks to pass along...

a. As it relates to Ewers, I've heard that he understands that there's an added commitment to the mental side of his craft that is needed and that he's committed to improving.

b. Card has a lot of support in the locker room, including some key veteran pieces of the offensive puzzle. The kid has kept his head down and just kept grinding away when a lot of people thought he should have hit the road and entered the Transfer Portal. Having the job in week one won't mean that he still has it in week 12, but I didn't think it was possible he could win this job. That dude has earned my respect. 

c. I don't expect Ewers to run from the competition, even if he's fully aware that he'll soon be taking second-team reps until further notice. One source on Thursday thought that this might simply delay his overall college plans by a year, but there was a good attitude about it all.

d. Another source with knowledge of the competition deadpanned on Thursday afternoon that winning the job might be the worst thing that could happen to either player because of the looming Alabama game.  

e. At the end of the day, we're truly at the starting line of this quarterback discussion and not the finish line. Both players understand what each need to do moving forward. Both know that poor execution in games is going to lead to the other player likely getting on the field.

Maybe, just maybe don't set the furniture on fire.

E58DF8EE-DB81-4C8E-B46F-26FB3CA3820B.gif.1b5a8deef321d98e00f1878f071a2955.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

They have PTSD for letting Joe Burrow leave only to then watch him win a championship at LSU

I understand. Imagine how Nebraska fans feel. As a legacy, Burrow really wanted to play there. They told him to pound sand and get fucked because they had their QB. And look who they have now…smdh.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Have we considered that both QBs suck?  

We’ve got a 3rd yr chalkboard warrior just waiting with bated breath for a Depends NIL contract.  After this Alabama game he may just get it.

The other option is a shitkicker freshman with a mullet who’s been banging every chick he introduces himself to for 3 years running and is already a millionaire with a nicer car than I’ll ever sit in.  Yeah, I’m sure he’s been hitting the books hard and living/breathing football.

Strap in assholes, it’s gonna be a long year.

Best post I’ve read pretty much all thread. Do more stuff like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm thinking colostomy bag NIL deal

Maybe a laser pointer for the white board type deal? But if he’s named the starter he should get a Heinz Ketchup deal: “Good things come to those who wait!”

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 2