Longhorn Network

TXs

“In September 2011, shortly after the Longhorn Network hit the airwaves, the Aggies announced they would leave the Big 12 for the SEC at the conclusion of the season. When asked about ending the tradition of annual rivalry games between Texas and A&M, Byrne blamed the Longhorns. “I assumed—and it was a rash assumption on my part—that our friends over in the state capital would want to continue playing us,” Byrne said. “It turns out they didn’t think we were as much of a rival as we thought of them.””

bwhahahahahahahahahahahhaahahhahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahHhHhHhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The Jammer!  The VY!  The Peschel!

Like those too, but seriously the Peschel needs to be the Worthy catch against Bama.  Mitchell's catch was good, but that Worthy catch was like Willie Mays' only more difficult because he had a helmet on.  It was right in front of me, and it was beautiful!

• Like 1

I'm going to miss it. I liked catching some random volleyball last year when we were the juggernaut marching towards a title. All the basketball games are either national TV or there. I don't have to go hunting for ESPN+ nonsense to find our games. 

I don't understand why it has to shut down. It's already there so why not just rebrand as another SEC network that focuses on Longhorns or 3/4 teams? Make sure every basketball game gets broadcast and also the majority of non revenue sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Baseball has always been great on LHN. I'll miss that. Definitely won't miss Lowell Galindo and his stupidity. Getting players names wrong and let's not forget, "Duver-YAY!" Cringe....

Galindo called a game on the SEC network this season.

• Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

Too much overhead and salaries, I guess. No one else would have a postgame like we did. It's also just cool to hear Brian Robison, Michael Griffin, and Fozzy Whittaker talk about UT football after a game. Plus, you get the immediate Sark postgame press conference. Plus the stupid awards were always fun to see. 

The upside is they have the studios and setups at the venues like DKR to continue streaming of something  similar if they chose.    Production doesn't require a huge truck or staff for that matter for streaming.  I've seen several high school football games for example that look very well done that are being filmed by just a few cameras and the production done from a laptop.   

It will be interesting to see how the new SEC media deal will work with non football sports, especially basketball and baseball.   

I think LHN has been great for women’s sports at Texas. It has given volleyball, women’s basketball, soccer, and softball a real boost. Other than football and baseball content, I’ll really miss those. Unless the SEC starts a 2nd network, the exposure that Texas Women’s sports has gotten will obviously suffer. I’m hoping there’s a plan to continue getting them some airtime.

Edited by SuckitKevin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I'm going to miss it. I liked catching some random volleyball last year when we were the juggernaut marching towards a title. All the basketball games are either national TV or there. I don't have to go hunting for ESPN+ nonsense to find our games. 

I don't understand why it has to shut down. It's already there so why not just rebrand as another SEC network that focuses on Longhorns or 3/4 teams? Make sure every basketball game gets broadcast and also the majority of non revenue sports. 

I didn't pay complete attention to the new divisions or pods - figured I'd catch up next year.  But - it would be cool if they had an SEC network for each pod for the non-football sports, press conferences, spring games, coaches shows, etc.  That would easily be doable, and they could actually keep using the LHN studio for one of the pods.  I find myself watching LHN frequently when I have nothing to do and just want background noise.  I watched the last SWC Texas/TTU game last night.  I'll miss that stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

I didn't pay complete attention to the new divisions or pods - figured I'd catch up next year.  But - it would be cool if they had an SEC network for each pod for the non-football sports, press conferences, spring games, coaches shows, etc.  That would easily be doable, and they could actually keep using the LHN studio for one of the pods.  I find myself watching LHN frequently when I have nothing to do and just want background noise.  I watched the last SWC Texas/TTU game last night.  I'll miss that stuff.

How about neither divisions or pods? How’s that grab ya?

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

I think LHN has been great for women’s sports at Texas. It has given volleyball, women’s basketball, soccer, and softball a real boost. Other than football and baseball content, I’ll really miss those. Unless the SEC starts a 2nd network, the exposure that Texas Women’s sports has gotten will obviously suffer. I’m hoping there’s a plan to continue getting them some airtime.

I hoped it would just get folded into the SEC network. Ah well. I will try to enjoy the last Zeke and Zonk baseball season as much as I can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

My 80 year old mother in law in deep East Texas last year all of a sudden became an expert on Texas Volleyball. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

How about neither divisions or pods? How’s that grab ya?

I actually just read an article on the 2024 SEC schedule, and they still don't know what will happen in 2025+.  I see 1+7 and 3+6 options so far with each team having 3 "fixed rivals", but as far as I know it is not decided.  2024 has no divisions so the conference championship game will be the top 2 teams (can't wait to see those tiebreakers).  I don't know if they will stay away from divisions or pods in 2025 yet.

There are some interesting arguments in this article.

I still think if they stick every team with 3 "fixed rivals" it would basically be a defacto pod, so having 4 "tier-3 rights" channels could work.

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Nothing, I just want to make sure he's not working at the Yellow Rose. Talk about a mood killer. 

That's on you brother.

No announcer has ever ruined my semi at the rose.

Side note:

Can we all agree that the yellow rose is a national treasure?

I mean, I've gotten older.

The neighborhood has gentrified and gotten more expensive.

Austin is now a major city that's 'cool'.

But the yellow rose and the dude bathroom attendant remain the same.

There's something so comforting about that.

And you can do with your hands what you like and the girls aren't all up in arms about it.

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Hook 'Em 1

My hope is that the end of LHN means the availability of all Texas sports events on streaming. That would potentially be better than LHN because we wouldn’t be tied solely to the few cable services that offer LHN. I’m on U-verse and would like off soon.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

My hope is that the end of LHN means the availability of all Texas sports events on streaming. That would potentially be better than LHN because we wouldn’t be tied solely to the few cable services that offer LHN. I’m on U-verse and would like off soon.

Yeah, for me, I don't have LHN, but have ESPN+. I live in Portland and decided it was more important to me to have a provider that showed blazers games, which are on ROOT sports, and doesn't, or at least didn't at the time I looked, overlap with any providers that have LHN. I knew I could just do whatever I needed to do to stream the one LHN longhorn football game per year.

However, It's been pretty annoying that I could watch a bunch of other schools' baseball games on ESPN +, but not Longhorn games since they were exclusive to LHN. Same for volleyball and soccer. I'm hopeful that most of the content that used to be only on LHN will be on ESPN + going forward if not on SEC network. I actually think that could increase exposure a bit outside of the state of Texas.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, but I will not miss LHN except for the awesome Texas centric production and former player commentators (not Galindo, of course)