Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Bottom line: Jury is still out on Quinn and his progress this season

Yep. X hosed us and I thought Quinn looks better but it is hard to go all in.  

I also think this board overrates Sam.   His aggression and carelessness cost us a few games and he also threw the defensive coaches under the bus which I think is shitty

I thought ewers looked good for the most part. There were a handful of plays where he fucked up, a big 3rd down miss to jwhitt that killed an important drive comes to mind, but overall ewers looked good.

Agree with all the hate on worthy, he’s a fast runner I guess but he isn’t a good receiver. He looks soft mentally and let’s too much go past him. I really wonder if he has vision problems to go along with effort problems. Maybe next year with cook and whoever else ewers will suddenly find the deep ball magic….

I don’t like any offense that is so fragile that one off play or penalty and a drive is likely doomed. That’s what we had last night though.

Quinn had some great plays/moments last night.  All things considered, he's doing well.  No idea about next year.  I just know we're 13-12 in the last two seasons.  And for what we're paying, that ain't great.  61-51 since 2013.  Just 10 games above .500.  For all that money and glamour.  We are not who we thought we were.  

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he didn't play like that in those games because we still hadn't dumbed down the playbook to the level that we did tonight. it's alarming to see how this entire thread is apparently oblivious as to how insanely simplified this offense has become due to QE's limitations. the playbook has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller as the year has gone on, to the point where damn near pass is a quick throw. forget reading defenses or going through progressions- we just want our QB to get rid of the ball. 

IMO we made the playbook better tonight.....dumbing of the playbook is repeatedly throwing 20+ yard passes week after week when we can't hit them. 

Quinn played an excellent game last night. Two blatant drops by X, another one that should have been caught (deep ball down the sideline that was slightly underthrown), and the 3rd down drop by Whittington absolutely killed us. If we have Washington’s receivers on our team Quinn easily throws for 400+.

It seems like he never fully healed from the Alabama injury until tonight. I could see him having an all-conference type year next year.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm pretty solid in the opinion that he made a big mistake skipping his senior year of HS. He didn't do shit for his development at tOSU, they didn't do shit for him. There was this notion that he was going to step on campus as a guy who was well developed and advanced beyond his years. That's all recruiting websites feeding idiot fans a great notion. His off-season needs to be harder than the season, non stop work. He needs to become quicker in his thought process and quicker in his actions. I'm glad to hear him say he needs to become a better leader, but most of that happens with hard work and results. Having Arch on campus either propels Ewers or shuts him down, up to him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah hopefully no one else skips their senior year after this. It was clearly a stupid choice. Jaydon Blue also skipped his senior year and all that time he supposedly instead spent working out & preserving his body netted him 15 carries for 38 yards this year.

Blue wasn't going to push for PT this year regardless so I don't get that argument.

Good game by Quinn last night. Made a couple of plays with his feet when he needed to, went through progressions more consistently than he has all year, deep ball was good, missed Worthy on the 4th & 1 slant, & some of the screen passes weren't where they needed to be to let the WR get good yardage, but other than that was pretty damn good. Outside of OU it was his best night. Whittington drop on 3rd down, Worthy 2 drops on deep balls & 1 that landed at his feet because he didn't adjust to the throw are on the WRs. He'd have had 400+ yards and another TD or 2. If Neyor isn't going to be healthy then hopefully one of the 2021/2022 WRs figure out how to adjust downfield & maybe not be thrown off a route when a defender breathes on them. The OL needs to take another 2 steps forward as well. Very little to no push all night in the running game is not a recipe for success.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He looks to be on the outside looking in with Baxter coming next year too though and Brooks & Robinson being starters. Doubt he even stays at this point. 

Blue needed to sit this year.

Baxter/Brooks hopefully is the 1-2 punch next season with Keilan being the change of pace/utility guy like he has been all year.

If we try to make it Baxter/Keilan then Sark should be fired. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

How could anyone come away from tonight not impressed with how he performed without his two top RB options. The dude turned in a great performance. He was the least of our issues tonight and gave me some hope for next season. Now we have to find him a decent RB, a WR who won't drop wide open passes, and an OL to block for him. A tall order for sure. 

Jonathan Brooks looks like he’s gonna be a stud. Unfortunately, he’s having to come in and replace a legend but I’d wager he’ll be an all-Big12 RB next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yeah but Ehlinger had leadership skills and grit. You could see the potential. You could see the want and desire to win from him. Ewers is Charmin soft and doesnt inspire any confidence or optimism for the future.

This is revisionist history.  Plenty of posters here dismissed Sam the same way you're dismissing Ewers.  You don't remember the attempt to make fetch happen with the "I am Sam" nickname? (Though they fucked it up and were calling him "Sam I Am" iirc)

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The only way this could be dumber is to have been longer. 

If you want to blame the QB for an open receiver dropping a long handoff, you may not be thinking things through very well. 

I agree with you here. I was just mad last night because we suck. But in all seriousness, this team is not going anywhere of value with QE at the helm and that is a problem. 

27 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Wow, we had a bunch of emotional pansies posting in this thread last night. Quinn played a really solid game. I have no doubt he’ll develop this off season and at least raise his floor quite a bit.

these posts, both in this thread and the ehlinger thread, are just too ironic man. the people being critical of the QBs are not the ones being emotional pansies- it's the exact opposite. people criticize the QB without talking shit, taking digs, or making it personal, and the response is as if people are wishing that QE would break both of his legs. you guys spaz out over someone else's opinion and then claim that it's the other person who is behaving emotionally. it's wild to watch this play out ad nauseam.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I agree with you here. I was just mad last night because we suck. But in all seriousness, this team is not going anywhere of value with QE at the helm and that is a problem. 

With Worthy’s drops as catches, that’s a 400 yard, 2 TD, 0 interception, 70% completion game. What more do you want from a RS freshman QB to show he can help Texas get somewhere of value?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yeah but Ehlinger had leadership skills and grit. You could see the potential. You could see the want and desire to win from him. Ewers is Charmin soft and doesnt inspire any confidence or optimism for the future.

He spits a lot too. I hold that against him. 

How could anyone come away from tonight not impressed with how he performed without his two top RB options. The dude turned in a great performance. He was the least of our issues tonight and gave me some hope for next season. Now we have to find him a decent RB, a WR who won't drop wide open passes, and an OL to block for him. A tall order for sure. 

My brother…and don’t get me wrong, I agree with you 100%….

But you’ve been around long enough to know better than to start a post with “How could anyone….”
  • Like 1

i'd also like to address this phenomenon where, when someone is critical of one of our highly touted QBs, people take that very valid criticism and warp it into, "why do you hate QE? why do you want him to fail? i can't wait until next year when he's awesome so that i can rub it in your face!!!" i'm fairly certain that 9/10 of us who have been critical of QE still support him and hope he makes great strides going forward. this whole idea that anyone who is critical of a player hates said player and hopes he fails is so tiresome, and it only leads to endless spats and thread derails. 9 months from now if QE has a good game you can count on a bunch of posters digging up old posts and starting fights with people, as if that's what we're here for- to pick a side and go to war with everyone who doesn't blindly agree with you. again, it's tiresome. nobody hates QE, he simply had a disappointing season, and it's ok to be critical of that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

With Worthy’s drops as catches, that’s a 400 yard, 2 TD, 0 interception, 70% completion game. What more do you want from a RS freshman QB to show he can help Texas get somewhere of value?

after QE returned from injury we spent the entire season stripping down Sark's offense over and over and over until we got down to the absolute bare bones schemes and play calls we all saw down the stretch, as well as spending the last month off designing an offense where QE gets rid of the ball in about 2.5 seconds on every drop back because he simply cannot read defenses, or make progressions, or run Sark's offense.

you ask what more do we want? how about a 1.000 rated QB who doesn't have to have the offensive playbook reduced more than it's been since tyrone swoopes was taking snaps? how about a qb who progresses and improves throughout the year? a qb whose mechanics and footwork improve? a qb who gets to open up more and more of the playbook as the season goes on, as opposed to the exact opposite of that? is that fair? 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

after QE returned from injury we spent the entire season stripping down Sark's offense over and over and over until we got down to the absolute bare bones schemes and play calls we all saw down the stretch, as well as spending the last month off designing an offense where QE gets rid of the ball in about 2.5 seconds on every drop back because he simply cannot read defenses, or make progressions, or run Sark's offense.

you ask what more do we want? how about a 1.000 rated QB who doesn't have to have the offensive playbook reduced more than it's been since tyrone swoopes was taking snaps? how about a qb who progresses and improves throughout the year? a qb whose mechanics and footwork improve? a qb who gets to open up more and more of the playbook as the season goes on, as opposed to the exact opposite of that? is that fair? 

Yeah, that’s fair. 

Is it also fair to say how he performed last night was an improvement over everything since OU?

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I thought ewers looked good for the most part. There were a handful of plays where he fucked up, a big 3rd down miss to jwhitt that killed an important drive comes to mind, but overall ewers looked good.

Agree with all the hate on worthy, ... I really wonder if he has vision problems to go along with effort problems. 

On the long pass down the sideline, Worthy had 20 yards to adjust to the ball and he didn't deviate from his line more than 1-2 feet. Whether that's vision or lack of effort, the result is the same, and you can't have the most consistent thing your go to receiver does is not finding and catching  the ball.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO we made the playbook better tonight.....

... except for the part of pounding K. Robinson between the tackles.

47 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'm pretty solid in the opinion that he made a big mistake skipping his senior year of HS. He didn't do shit for his development at tOSU, they didn't do shit for him. 

Per Quinn's midweek interview; Riley Dodge was going to spend Quinn's Sr. year on mechanics. He lost that year. He also said he spent that time with CJ Stroud on film study. While both are important, a year spent on mechanics would have been a much better use of his time. 

Their were a lot of reasons UW won and Texas lost, they made plays when they need to and we didn't.

Defense played well overall, but couldn't get off the field.

Offensive line looked like the swinging doors from the a wild west saloon.

Cain played well, too bad he isn't as fast and graceful as the UW receivers.

JT had 2 receptions where he could have easily got a first down, but tried to make a move and got tackled short.

No Bijan/Roschon hurt. Duh!!! Did Jaydon Blue even play?

3rd and short killed us. With no reliable run game, poor play calling resulted in low percentage passes with low percentage results.

Quinn played well. He did a much better job of throwing the ball away and not taking a sack. He missed a few passes, everyone does. His stat line was 31/47 (66%) for 369, 1 TD 0 Int. If Worthy could fucking catch, it should have been 33/46 (72%) for 469+, 2 TD, 0 Int.

His effortless toss that Worthy dropped was 50+ yards. I like Sam, he is a Texas Hero, but he couldn't make that pass.

To all of you Nancy's bellyaching about QE,

image.jpeg.ffa032eeb45058d153961e5daf605d21.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

after QE returned from injury we spent the entire season stripping down Sark's offense over and over and over until we got down to the absolute bare bones schemes and play calls we all saw down the stretch, as well as spending the last month designing an offense where QE gets rid of the ball in about 2.5 seconds on every drop back because he simply cannot read defenses, or make progressions, or run Sark's offense. you ask what more do we want? how about a 1.000 rated QB who doesn't have to have the offensive playbook reduced more than it's been since tyrone swoopes was taking snaps? how about a qb who progresses and improves throughout the year? a qb whose mechanics and footwork improve? a qb who gets to open up more and more of the playbook as the season goes on, as opposed to the exact opposite of that? is that fair? 

This post is dumb. Getting rid of the ball quickly is about thwarting the troubles of pass protection, not about "dumbing it down". Did you see the game last night? The best passer in cfb was struggling in the first half because we sped him up. They adjusted by going to the quick game in he second half and we didn't take away the quick throws. Their receivers CATCH THE BALL and then turn and get yac. Our receivers either drop the ball or catch, but largely get tackled right where they stand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

so many people here are just insistent that QE is going to markedly improve this offseason and become a really good qb for Texas, and that is blatant homerism at its finest. you want it to happen, therefore it will happen.

if quinn ewers was a 3* prospect in HS, would you still be saying the same thing?

if quinn ewers was the qb at OU and had the season he just had, would you be guaranteeing his future greatness? 

if quinn ewers grew up in randomtown, new jersey as opposed to being an SLC star boy, would you be so certain of his future greatness?

nope, nope, and nope. but he was a 5*, a 1.000 rated qb, he's from a Texas powerhouse HS, and Texas fans have been pinning their hopes on him since he was 16. and because of that, he must become good. it's just an absolute certainty that he's going to overcome all of his glaring issues, not because of anything related to his performance or production on the field, but because of all of that ^^^. i have a much bigger beef with this type of logic than i do with QE and his performances.

Edited by shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah, that’s fair. 

Is it also fair to say how he performed last night was an improvement over everything since OU?

yeah, as far as his performance last night goes i was mildly surprised and pleased with how he did. it still concerns me that we've had to strip down the playbook so much, because it means he has a long way to go before he becomes the next great Sark coached QB. but yes, i definitely felt that last night was his best game since the OU game. still some of the same mistakes and issues, but he looked sharper and more comfortable. worthy really did bone him last night. 

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Blue needed to sit this year.

Baxter/Brooks hopefully is the 1-2 punch next season with Blue being the change of pace/utility guy like he has been all year.

If we try to make it Baxter/Blue then Sark should be fired. 

FIFY Keilan is likely gone and Sark was likely giving him an opportunity to get more carries/film/opportunity after being such a good teammate behind the other guys for the past 2 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, as far as his performance last night goes i was mildly surprised and pleased with how he did. it still concerns me that we've had to strip down the playbook so much, because it means he has a long way to go before he becomes the next great Sark coached QB. but yes, i definitely felt that last night was his best game since the OU game. still some of the same mistakes and issues, but he looked sharper and more comfortable. worthy really did bone him last night. 

Well, he’s a RS freshman who fucked off his senior year of high school. In retrospect, maybe not the sagest move for his football learning process. 

Maybe as the game slows down for him, things can expand for him. Or maybe this is the high water mark. But it seems pretty likely that the stuff they worked on during bowl practice had some positive outcomes for him. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

so many people here are just insistent that QE is going to markedly improve this offseason and become a really good qb for Texas, and that is blatant homerism at its finest. you want it to happen, therefore it will happen.

Yeah, it seems obvious that with more practice and reps, a QB will become better. But in reality that really doesn't seem to be the case. 

QBs seem to be who they are as freshman as they are later in their college careers. What can change things is the help around them. But the idea that a QB continually improves from Freshman -> Senior just doesn't bear out in the stats.  

Ewers seems ok. I'd be surprised if at the end of next season we aren't saying the same thing.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

... we spent the entire season stripping down Sark's offense over and over and over, ... designing an offense where QE gets rid of the ball in about 2.5 seconds on every drop back he simply cannot read defenses, or make progressions, or run Sark's offense.  because his offensive line can't block as a unit.

FIFY

We haven't had a QB on campus that could throw consistently throw a deep ball since Colt McCoy. Certainly not Tyronne or Sam. Quinn can. That isn't reducing the playbook.

Quinn's mechanics aren't textbook. But he made throws before he got hurt that 90% of QB's can only dream about.

how about a qb who progresses and improves throughout the year?

And which FRESHMAN QB, with an injury that affected his throwing motion, would that be?  I'll hang up and listen.

How exactly have we "stripped down the Playbook?" Show us.

Edited by PTINS
  • Hook 'Em 1

A little perspective here.  Was Quinn perfect?  No.  But - if you expected him to be, you haven't been watching much football this year.  When it became clear we could not run, we had to put the offense on him.  He went 31/47 for 369.  He threw the ball away when he had to.  He did not turn the ball over.  Worthy had three straight-out drops.  1) the one down the middle in the 4th quarter 2) the little slant that hit him right in the chest, and 3) the long one down the left boundary.  There was also one occasion where he absolutely failed to track a potentially catchable ball.  Whittington had a drop on  3rd down.  Add in those 4 "should have beens" (yeah, I know...), and you get a stat line of 35/47 for approaching-Texas-bowl-game-record yardage.  Had you been told at the start of the year that your freshman QB would, in his bowl game, go 35/47 for over 400 yards, would you have said:

1) That guy sucks.

or 2) That's a pretty good effort.

I still think Ewers is going to be good, maybe not great, but certainly good enough.  Putting a loss like this on him is just silly.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The VY who beat the world’s ass in 2005 seemed a lot better than the one who got pulled against Tech or shutout by OU, but maybe I’m just misremembering. 

Yeah, I had an exception for VY as he seemed to be the one of the few exceptions. Seemed to be that Mack "let Vince be Vince." 

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

My brother…and don’t get me wrong, I agree with you 100%….

But you’ve been around long enough to know better than to start a post with “How could anyone….”

I had some alcohol in me last night when I wrote that. Fills you with delusional thinking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

if quinn ewers was a 3* prospect in HS, would you still be saying the same thing?

if quinn ewers was the qb at OU and had the season he just had, would you be guaranteeing his future greatness? 

if quinn ewers grew up in randomtown, new jersey as opposed to being an SLC star boy, would you be so certain of his future greatness?

nope, nope, and nope. but he was a 5*, a 1.000 rated qb, he's from a Texas powerhouse HS, and Texas fans have been pinning their hopes on him since he was 16. and because of that, he must become good. it's just an absolute certainty that he's going to overcome all of his glaring issues, not because of anything related to his performance or production on the field, but because of all of that ^^^. i have a much bigger beef with this type of logic than i do with QE and his performances.

You are really hung up on the dumbest things.  Does anyone other than you give a flying fuck about which high school he went to?  Proof?

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, it seems obvious that with more practice and reps, a QB will become better. But in reality that really doesn't seem to be the case. 

QBs seem to be who they are as freshman as they are later in their college careers. What can change things is the help around them. But the idea that a QB continually improves from Freshman -> Senior just doesn't bear out in the stats.  

Ewers seems ok. I'd be surprised if at the end of next season we aren't saying the same thing.

Dude- you could not be more wrong. Go look at the stats from any of the great QB’s of the last 20 years and the majority of them didn’t play their freshmen years or did play and were extremely  shitty- especially if we are talking about true freshmen- which I think we can argue from an age/experience/continuity standpoint QE is more like than RS Frosh. His reclassification and detour to OSU was dumb. 

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

this fanbase is fucking stupid/spoiled as shit.  that's how.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude- you could not be more wrong. Go look at the stats from any of the great QB’s of the last 20 years and the majority of them didn’t play their freshmen years or did play and were extremely  shitty- especially if we are talking about true freshmen- which I think we can argue from an age/experience/continuity standpoint QE is more like than RS Frosh. His reclassification and detour to OSU was dumb. 

Just looked up the Heisman winning QBs since 2012. There's some of that -- but only two didn't play much freshman seasons. In general, it seems if they are in the right system, they light it up quickly.

Nine Heisman-winning QBs. Two didn't really play freshman year (Young, Burrow). Of the remaining 7, just 3 saw a big improvement from freshman to sophomore years -- Jackson, Murray, and Mayfield. Murray and Mayfield's progress also coincided with a transfer to OU.

Caleb Williams:

image.png.174f32dcd71c4194b51ddff9168daf3d.png

Bryce Young:

image.png.7ff669cf22a030465bc91549fb710079.png

Burrow:

image.png.7db0915238eae090a669597c4574e9c3.png

Murray:

image.png.a756c6b0794ada995904076283b61036.png

Mayfield:

image.png.fb38df2aa1c8e3ddce4df60113b4fdc1.png

Jackson:

image.png.55b5d41810473808ce35068197273bb8.png

Mariota:

image.png.aad7405d38bd99e0aecb098b183e85e1.png

Winston:

image.png.18a4eabd6ce18f66233f85689a495711.png

Manziel:

image.png.6bb6b42ae3180e09020b783b008ee287.png

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just looked up the Heisman winning QBs since 2012. There's some of that -- but only two didn't play much freshman seasons. In general, it seems if they are in the right system, they light it up quickly.

Nine Heisman-winning QBs. Two didn't really play freshman year (Young, Burrow). Of the remaining 7, just 3 saw a big improvement from freshman to sophomore years -- Jackson, Murray, and Mayfield. Murray and Mayfield's progress also coincided with a transfer to OU.

Caleb Williams:

Bryce Young:

Burrow:

Murray:

Mayfield:

Jackson:

Mariota:

Winston:

Manziel:

Dude Manziel was a RS freshman, Winston didn’t play, you are essentially talking about Caleb Williams that came in ready to spit fire- and even then it took him 6 games to get the start and he looked like shit against us throwing when he got his first real opportunities. 
And- you are self selecting Heisman winners as the best of the best which even more shades the numbers. True freshmen are shit like 98% of the time.  RS freshmen suck like 80 or 90% of the time. 

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Caleb Williams:

Bryce Young:

Burrow:

Murray:

Mayfield:

Jackson:

Mariota:

Winston:

Manziel:

I think it is a bit disingenuous not to include Burrow on the improved list. He made a major jump from year 1 as a starter for LSU to year 2. You can say it was system related, but you can’t argue he didn’t improve. What your data is showing is that all players do not develop on the same timeline, which should shock absolutely nobody 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet