Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Did I make fun of your incredibly bad opinion? Of course I did, what else am I supposed to do?

make an opposing argument using facts, stats and empirical evidence. hell, you could start by stating exactly what it is that you think is my “incredibly bad opinion”. quote it; argue your own point; use this forum for its intended purpose.

• Fuck You 2

OU definitely. Bama is questionable. They don’t really make major changes to what they do. It’s one the perks to having 8-9 NFL players every year.  Just because the OL struggled doesn’t mean that was the focus of the defense.. Texas played Bama in the NC and generally saw light boxes and could not run the ball. KSU was definitely different. They ran press early, because Ewers was out. They don’t run that with Ewers in 

It is not known what KSU does with QE in there because they didn’t play him.

What Bama did almost 15 years ago is irrelevant to what they’d do this year.

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you missed all of that above???

I called your take shitty, you called me stupid. I’d say that’s pretty playful banter man. Sam Ehlinger is still on an nfl roster by the way. No way you forgot the absolute diatribe you went on about Sam and how he wasn’t a very good qb right? Quinn is better than Sam, strictly speaking from an overall tools perspective. 

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You can guess tho right? That a smart coach would sell out to stop the best part of an offense with the really good qb playing? Right? Come on? The year before they committed to stopping Bijan because…yup you guessed it. Best player on our offense. Quinn wasn’t scary then but Bijan and rojo were. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

make an opposing argument using facts, stats and empirical evidence. hell, you could start by stating exactly what it is that you think is my “incredibly bad opinion”. quote it; argue your own point; use this forum for its intended purpose.

You want to be attacked, fine, go fuck yourself and your stupid fucking opinion that QE won't be an NFL QB based on this roster being loaded. The OL is young in 3 of 5 spots and banged up. X is is good in the open field but struggles to track a ball and rarely if ever wins a 50/50 ball. Sanders can't block for shit. Jwhitt will be a late round draft pick at best. The best player on the offense is Kelvin Banks and he hasn't been all that good because of a bum ankle all year. The offense is talented but don't get out over your skis bud. Your opinions are so bad it seems like a troll job. Stop being such an ignorant, thin skinned pussy.

How is that for being "attacked"?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

image.png.669798e06630187db3b7b01bb6593e7c.png

A considerable worse Quinn last year vs K-State who had a significantly better defense then that they have this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Dude. You're acting like a troll. I just went back to your initial opinion screed. It is all opinion. The only numbers you site are our current record and that *you think* the offense should average more 45 points. The only thing remotely factual in your post is that quinn is playing better this year than last. Where are the stats and facts to support your asinine opinion?

Plainly your opinion sucks and that's why you got the shit reaction. I called it hyperbole because you think we should be nothing short of best in the world but everything Quinn does is sub-par. Apparently we have an offense of all first-rounders and Quinn is the sole anchor holding us back.

My statement of fact is that you are an irrational quinn-hater and your opinion should be ignored. I submit this thread as proof.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You can guess tho right? That a smart coach would sell out to stop the best part of an offense with the really good qb playing? Right? Come on? The year before they committed to stopping Bijan because…yup you guessed it. Best player on our offense. Quinn wasn’t scary then but Bijan and rojo were. 

Good teams largely do what they do. They’ll all game plan for the opposing teams strengths relative to their strengths/weaknesses though.

KSU is a good team that is likely to work their game. Since it didn’t happen, I don’t know what they’d do. Bijan ran for 200 last year. Roschon ran for 177 the prior year. We ran for 230 this year. Their Dline does not match up well in the run game versus us. They don’t pass rush either for that matter. Generally speaking teams load up against backups and dare them. I cannot automatically sign off on KSU conceding 200 plus rushing yards either. Make that 300 since you presumed they changed what they do to shut down Bijan yet failed anyway.

On topic Quinn is balling out this year. He had a bad 1st quarter against OU and that's about it. Otherwise he has been rock solid. He's making very few mistakes. Hitting X all the time now. Consistently hitting deep balls too.

To my eyes his only weakness is trying to hit the deep ball too often instead of taking what's there. But the offense is all about trying to hit the deep ball.

I'm very impressed by his big step up from Year 1 to Year 2. I don't think you could ask too much more of the guy. He's playing fantastic.

I don't fault him for not putting up video game numbers because it turns out that real life is not a video game.

Edited by MotownHorn
typos
  • Hook 'Em 5

15 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

We’ve won by 30+ 3 times this year…

Hell, I guess if you want to believe... who am I to shatter your fantasies...

Bottom line for the is Quinn is a very good QB.  I also think it's silly to think Maalik Murphy isn't remotely close with two games as a starter under his belt coming in at midseason without a year of prep as the starter.  I think it's very hard to completely dismiss Murphy as many, many have done off two starting performances where the kid actually was brilliant for a half and sucky for a half.  Basically I think we have a pretty damn good QB room.

With the amazing surrounding cast the Texas QB has on this current roster, the fact our starting QB is not shredding the opposition brutally with a degree of consistency is consternating.  I also think that because Quinn is not completely healthy it has changed the play calling as well to some degree.  Hope Quinn is finally fully healthy and can put together a game this week that blows me away, and blows away the pollsters!  Our ability to dominate and then let the opposition back into the game is a very, very, very bad habit (especially when trying to get into the playoffs).  QB play seems to be a key function of this frustrating inconsistency.

Edited by horn4life

I look at all the statistics-the completion percentage above 70, the ypa at 9, the TD/Int ratio, the passer rating-and then read some of these comments (from just a handful of people, to be fair) about him not dominating, he’s average, ready to move on, etc. It just doesn’t compute.

I can only conclude that some people aren’t satisfied unless every drive is a 1 play, 75 yard TD bomb. And then they’d probably complain about the ball placement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

I can only conclude that some people aren’t satisfied unless every drive is a 1 play, 75 yard TD bomb. And then they’d probably complain about the ball placement.

One trick pony. Not using his legs enough. Bad footwork. Can't make the hard throws any more

Edited by nolongerU2horn
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I look at all the statistics-the completion percentage above 70, the ypa at 9, the TD/Int ratio, the passer rating-and then read some of these comments (from just a handful of people, to be fair) about him not dominating, he’s average, ready to move on, etc. It just doesn’t compute.

15 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Do you believe that Bama and OU game planned to allow the run in favor of pass defense?

The 2.8 YPC versus Bama indicates otherwise. So you make it seem that everyone is so scared of Ewers that every team is doing something different. That’s not really true. TCU and ISU ran their stuff did they not? KSU got lit up. We don’t know that is because Murphy was playing.

just backing this up with EPA/rush and pass and drop back from the alabama game:

image.png.804b4261a38a11041fcb395b6bfc1223.png

rushing:

image.png.8d554dded8a2478dcaf253c916ad4e62.png

There is no question that QE has improved from last season.  Just about everything he does looks better this season.

But...another year in college would do him a ton of good.  His injury history is a problem for him.  It has been that way since his time at Caroll.  His decision making ability needs work.  And his corners and go routes, while better, need work.  I'd comment on his slants and crosses but Texas just doesn't run those much so not enough film there.  NFL teams will need to see that as well.

He will get drafted because of his talent.  But no NFL team is going to draft him right now to be there QB1.  Maybe a year from now.  But not after this season.

His decision will come down to going in the 3rd or 4th rd this year or potentially being a mid to lower 1st rounder after next season.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/19/2023 at 4:47 PM, Nicole44 said:

What I didn’t write well at all was: QE will be drafted. For fucks sake an NFL team actually drafted a guy that was in a coma towards the end of the draft. My point was he will get drafted. None of us know what he will do in the NFL. When he makes it. I am shitty at explaining an already shitty post. 

You aren't talking about in 2012 when Tampa drafted Eric Legrand out of Rutgers who was paralyzed, are you?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/19/2023 at 6:59 PM, Had Enough said:

Good teams largely do what they do. They’ll all game plan for the opposing teams strengths relative to their strengths/weaknesses though.

KSU is a good team that is likely to work their game. Since it didn’t happen, I don’t know what they’d do. Bijan ran for 200 last year. Roschon ran for 177 the prior year. We ran for 230 this year. Their Dline does not match up well in the run game versus us. They don’t pass rush either for that matter. Generally speaking teams load up against backups and dare them. I cannot automatically sign off on KSU conceding 200 plus rushing yards either. Make that 300 since you presumed they changed what they do to shut down Bijan yet failed anyway.

Last year KSU sat back in coverage and we ran on them.  This year with no Bijan and Murphy at the helm they loaded the box until he proved he could beat them over the top and then they backed off. First still below is last year with Ewers. 12 personnel vs a 6 man box, and it's in the 4th quarter so we had already been gashing them in the run game. Second still is Murph. 12 personnel vs an 8 man box. In box situations you have a redshirt freshman. In both situations the running game was good.

Screenshot(495).thumb.png.60977d8d0353ba4df4587d9ff2aaa25d.png

Screenshot(496).png.cc6e56996dda6e5a242fdb3486ff36da.png

• Like 1

Your mind is made up. I understand.

But what you’ve provided is two screen shots. One with a single WR on each side. One with 2 and none. One 1st quarter. One 4th quarter.

That certainly doesn’t prove whether KSU is treating us differently than any other team because it provides no insight into how they handle others or whether that is simply different formations.

As I mentioned, I don’t doubt that many teams would dare an inexperienced QB to beat them. I did go back and watch OU. It looked like a good balanced game plan - no real favoring of run or pass but rather unpredictable. Some single high, some two safety.

QE is great at the intermediate game. He has a unique attribute or two. You’d have his children if that were possible. I got it.

• Fuck You 2

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The next step for Quinn is hitting that throw to Mitchell against ISU for a TD instead of a DPI. He still needs to clean up his footwork, and yes his pocket awareness still needs improvement. He self-sacked himself 2 times against ISU.

I am starting to wonder, if Quinn gets too locked in on the script. He seems very robotic early and as the game progresses, he starts to see the field much better. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

The next step for Quinn is hitting that throw to Mitchell against ISU for a TD instead of a DPI. He still needs to clean up his footwork, and yes his pocket awareness still needs improvement. He self-sacked himself 2 times against ISU.

I wonder how much his injury affected that throw. It was shit from the jump.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

But what you’ve provided is two screen shots. One with a single WR on each side. One with 2 and none. One 1st quarter. One 4th quarter.

That certainly doesn’t prove whether KSU is treating us differently than any other team because it provides no insight into how they handle others or whether that is simply different formations.

As I mentioned, I don’t doubt that many teams would dare an inexperienced QB to beat them. I did go back and watch OU. It looked like a good balanced game plan - no real favoring of run or pass but rather unpredictable. Some single high, some two safety.

QE is great at the intermediate game. He has a unique attribute or two. You’d have his children if that were possible. I got it.

This is a weird post. You said you weren't sure what K-State did, so he told you and gave you examples. Now you're complaining that his examples aren't enough. Did you want him to screenshot every defensive formation for you? 

This is a weird post. You said you weren't sure what K-State did, so he told you and gave you examples. Now you're complaining that his examples aren't enough. Did you want him to screenshot every defensive formation for you? 

A screenshot representing less than 2% of plays in two different years against two different formations a t different points in the game is not convincing.

I don’t expect screen shots of every play but didn’t ask for any other. That’s not even to say I don’t appreciate the effort.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

he didnt have enough

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

A screenshot representing less than 2% of plays in two different years against two different formations a t different points in the game is not convincing.

I don’t expect screen shots of every play but didn’t ask for any other. That’s not even to say I don’t appreciate the effort.

They are both vs the same personnel though the alignment is different. I gave you the 4th quarter ones so you can see that even though Bijan was giving it to them all game they still wouldn't abandon their shell. That should've answered the question you had about whether or not they respected the passing game.

What's weird is we are 10-1 and hating on the kid that got us here. Almost every team we played this year with Quinn trotted out their version of the same defense in an effort to slow our passing game. Quinn leads the conference in almost every category. Is the dude perfect? No, but he is the best QB we've had since 09. I respect you as a poster. I am just really really appreciative to finally have solid QB play after all these years. If you look back at us we have only been as good as the QBs we've had. Vince=13-0. Colt=13-1. Quinn=10-1. Sam=10-4.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I’m not hating on him. QB is no doubt important. We did beat the 2nd/3rd best team on our schedule without him though. He played great versus Bama. He had a poor start versus OU. He finished well. I’m not ready to say he’s better than Sam. I know Sam will have played with less talent and that more was on his shoulders. Probably considerably so.

His best is yet to come, particularly if he returns next year. He’s improved since last year. I’ve certainly never said our opponents don’t respect our passing game. I’ve merely questioned the assertion that they’re willing to concede bunches of rushing yards to do that. I’ve watched a few plays from 2022 and 2023. KSU moves around on D presnap quite a bit. It’s not like ksu was playing press man versus Murphy.

The numbers say he’s excellent in the intermediate range but considerably less so in the deep and short passing areas. His numbers are top tier behind the LOS. Our Oline metrics show that we’re good at pass blocking - pressure rate is top 5 or so best. He gets sacked at a high rate per pressure because he’s trying to make things happen. But he’s made some runs because of it. He’s missed a few opportunities for big plays when escaping the pocket. We have as good of skill talent as anyone in the country on that side of the ball.

This will be the last post here but……

Make no mistake, if he wins, I win.

I'm still doubtful he comes back .  yes I know the scuttlebutt , but if he grades out he's gone.

If he comes back it will probably blow people's minds because we haven't had a qb with all the surrounding pieces this good since McCoy 

Would be the best thing for Texas for an experienced Ewers to lead us through year 1 of SEC , seems like striking gold 

Most of the Heisman contenders are multi year starters and historically QBs tend to get better the more time in a system. 

Expectations for a Ewers return would be sky fucking high and I'm here for it if it happens 

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 1