Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

FWIW, PFF has Quinn as the second highest graded player of the entire semifinals, both games. Behind Penix of course.

Quinn's biggest fault in the game was Penix was on the other side. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are some clowns clinging on to the one player who played pretty well. Nevermind the fumbling of the football. Nevermind Worthy, once again, not being able to track a ball in the air. Look at J-Whitt for an example of how to attack a 50/50 ball. Nevermind all the got-damned penalties in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Nevermind anybody on that defense being able to make a play on the damn ball in the air. Nevermind no pass rush all damn game and one of the best QBs in the game getting 4 fucking seconds to scan the field. The call was a fucking fade. You drop back and put the ball where you are supposed to and your receiver is supposed to jump up, shield out the DB, and catch the damn ball. AD didn't jump for the ball at all. Instead he tried to be cute and high point the ball while keeping a toe on the ground for the look at how ready I am for the NFL pose. Go get the damn ball bro. He is 6'4. Play like it.

What a weird, stupid take. The ball was thrown way too wide and high and if he does jump up to high point it, he is out of bounds and him catching it means fuck all. He played it right. The throw was not ideal. I take bigger issue with the playcalling sequence for the 4 plays rather than just that final play. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

FWIW, PFF has Quinn as the second highest graded player of the entire semifinals, both games. Behind Penix of course.

If Quinn played the entire game the same way he played that 4th quarter, we would be talking about a win today. Of course, if the OL played better, the RBs didn't fumble, Sorrell was as impactful as last year, Worthy wasn't hurt, Robinson wasn't hurt, etc. 

I would have liked Quinn to play better, but he wasn't really a major issue last night.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I would have liked Quinn to play better, but he wasn't really a major issue last night.

100% true.

But I also think if you like what you see and think you have a shot at marginal gains, you sit Quinn down in a few weeks (give it some appropriate down time to come down from all this) and be honest that if he comes back, it's a real deal open competition in the Spring and he's not going to just inherit QB1 for the Fall.

Either he will double down and work hard and (ideally) grow or he will transfer.

There is no world where he's in any competition for QB1 next year unless he really falls apart mentally and loses all discipline this offseason.

Having Arch behind him is plenty enough pressure to stay ahead of the curve.

Let's not make the same mistake OU and Ohio State seem to be making in running off their successful starting QBs. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

There is no world where he's in any competition for QB1 next year unless he really falls apart mentally and loses all discipline this offseason.

Let's not make the same mistake OU and Ohio State seem to be making in running off their successful starting QBs. 

Okay, that's a fair take.

I also think it's fair (albeit risky, bold, and bit provocative) to take the stance that "Good is the enemy of Great".

ETA:

While not exactly the same analogy, I'm reminded of what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith.

He was 50-25, took them to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years as a starter.

If you (the coaching staff and football people, not us internet nerds) think Arch Manning has potential to be elite based on what you've seen, you open up the competition. You want to be kind, but you want to win, and this isn't a nice guys league anymore.

Edited by BeardIP

35 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

One day I hope to develop the misguided confidence of those claiming that this is an uncatchable ball.c785d1e4f46f4e3f12e1c1d3adc28f82.jpg

the ball became uncatchable when QE threw it over AD’s head and into the vicinity of the DB. a throw anywhere in front of AD would have been catchable. there was no chance that AD was catching the ball that was actually thrown, having to first do a 180 to get into a position to even try and catch it, and then having to out leap the DB for the ball which was heading five yards out of bounds. don’t see all of that in your screen shot though.

• Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

How in the world could anyone want to start a redshirt freshman over a junior QB who just led his team to the CFP? If the name wasnt Manning, nobody would be saying this. Another year for Manning to develop isnt a bad thing. Hold an open competition, let iron sharpen iron. We are in a dream position. 

You are missing the huge caveat that "IF the internal people/coaches/football folks see Manning is special". I don't know if that is the case or not, then open competition.

If Arch is special (and he actually is) then you potentially lose on being too conservative and potentially driving him away by not opening up Spring competition. You also don't get to see actual objective results on if he's better than Quinn.

If Arch isn't special (and he thinks he is) then he needs to stay and develop or leave with a false sense of grandeur. 

I don't know which is the case. I trust the coaching staff to know (at least, they are paid to know). Do you or anyone else from the internet know?

Edited by BeardIP

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

AD Mitchell has made plenty of spectacular catches for us, including in. ig time situations, including last night. you have to give him a chance to catch the ball, especially when he’s 1-on-1 with that much wide open space to throw the ball at. there was a 0.0% chance of him catching that ball. it’s not asking too much for QE at this stage in his career to be able to make competitive throws with even half decent footwork in games like this.

block better, we didn't, it's that simple

• Hook 'Em 1

It wasn’t 0% when he let go of it and it wasn’t 0% as it got closer, it was 0% when a fucking D-back climbed his back and arm tackled his neck - which means some pressure on his shoulder and arm making the catch harder. I get they aren’t calling that but if they did you can’t argue it’s a bad call - it *is* DPI. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the ball became uncatchable when QE threw it over AD’s head and into the vicinity of the DB. a throw anywhere in front of AD would have been catchable. there was no chance that AD was catching the ball that was actually thrown, having to first do a 180 to get into a position to even try and catch it, and then having to out leap the DB for the ball which was heading five yards out of bounds. don’t see all of that in your screen shot though.

You can just say "turn around" and 'jump up"

I don’t understand how we as a fanbase cannot understand the value of experience at QB given we’ve witnessed since 2010
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

One day I hope to develop the misguided confidence of those claiming that this is an uncatchable ball.c785d1e4f46f4e3f12e1c1d3adc28f82.jpg

It is clearly uncatchable when you consider the means the defender used to prevent him from catching it. The placement of the ball wasn't uncatchable though. Hopefully everyone "catches" the sarcasm.

• Hook 'Em 1

Will be better and is better are very different. Manning is not better than Ewers right now. It’s not even close. But by the time both have played and moved on I’m betting when comparisons are made, Manning will be much, much better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas fans expected Maalik Murphy to be elite.  He . . . wasn't.  He might get there, who knows?

I'd certainly expect Sark to keep all competitions open, but ultimately I would hope ties would go to the older guy with more experience in the system.  I seriously doubt Arch was banking on Ewers leaving after 2023, despite his eligibility to do so.  That family isn't stupid.  They surely knew there was some chance of Ewers returning in Arch's redshirt freshman season.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

If Quinn played the entire game the same way he played that 4th quarter, we would be talking about a win today. Of course, if the OL played better, the RBs didn't fumble, Sorrell was as impactful as last year, Worthy wasn't hurt, Robinson wasn't hurt, etc. 

This is the correct assessment. He wasn’t great, but that wasn’t really the problem 

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

100% true.

But I also think if you like what you see and think you have a shot at marginal gains, you sit Quinn down in a few weeks (give it some appropriate down time to come down from all this) and be honest that if he comes back, it's a real deal open competition in the Spring and he's not going to just inherit QB1 for the Fall.

Either he will double down and work hard and (ideally) grow or he will transfer.

absolutely fucking not no way GIF

55 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Again, I think Ewers is good and will be the starter next year, but this very scenario has happened multiple times. Michigan got rid of Cade McNamara for JJ McCarthy.  Saban benched Jalen Hurts for Tua.  Clemson benched Kelly Bryant for Trevor Lawrence.   If the young guy really is better, you don't leave them on the bench for multiple years.  It is true that people are mostly just projecting Manning based on his recruiting ranking and family name, but it's not unreasonable to think he's going to be a really good college QB.  There should be competition at some point even if Ewers has the advantage in the competition.

I literally am advocating for an open competition but I see people on here advocating to go with Manning regardless just so that he can get experience. That is dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The last thing we should want is for Quinn to leave here and go somewhere else as a seasoned vet and help another team win after going through his growing pains and doing all his developing with us. That would not be ideal. He's our crop and i want to see him through to harvest.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Is it just me or were a lot of receivers loafing on that play, even AD? Seemed kinda strange.

Also wonder if Blue would've broken open if QE had more time. 

maybe they thought Washington was going to play Auburn 4th down defense.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Have a feeling on the rewatch it’s going to be clear that he struggled to get into a consistent rhythm. Batted balls, play calling, pre-snap penalties, fumbles, constant pressure..etc make it difficult for any QB feel comfortable. I think with all the things outside of his control he battled, even it wasn’t pretty. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Quinn could’ve played a bit better, but that pass to AD was CATCHABLE, and if our WRs are being coached properly, that ball should’ve been attacked and caught by AD. You’re in the end zone for a chance to win the game. Go attack the ball, don’t give the db a chance at the ball. Texas was out coached and out schemed. Great season overall, let’s improve and be better next season! 🤘

15 minutes ago, Injury Prone said:

if our WRs are being coached properly, that ball should’ve been attacked and caught by AD. You’re in the end zone for a chance to win the game. Go attack the ball, don’t give the db a chance at the ball.

the ball was thrown in a way that made it 10x easier for the DB to catch than for AD. AD had to break his stride, turn 180 degrees, take 2-3 steps, and then win a jump ball with a guy who got the watch the entire play unfold + have the ball basically thrown right at him.all in the matter if like 1.5 seconds. there was nothing wrong with AD’s effort, and in fact i’m impressed that he got as close to the ball as he did all things considered. 

Edited by shadow_operative

ive been as tough on quinn as anyone but if anyone really wants someone to blame for the loss its sark. not quinn.  if sark is so fucking dumb that he scrips 40 plays which is the whole first fucking half and he cant realize that we are gashing for 9 yards a carry and refuses to run it then the game is 100% on him. (im not blaming anyone we got beat by a better team. )

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

AD Mitchell is 3 " taller than that UW defensive back, but that guy used AD as a ladder.  He's pushing AD down, and boosting himself.  It was just another fucked up effort by the officials.  Would AD have caught it otherwise?  No idea.  Was it a fucking penalty?  In a just world.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Levi said:

Have a feeling on the rewatch it’s going to be clear that he struggled to get into a consistent rhythm. Batted balls, play calling, pre-snap penalties, fumbles, constant pressure..etc make it difficult for any QB feel comfortable. I think with all the things outside of his control he battled, even it wasn’t pretty. 

56 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Those batted balls and rushed throws made a huge difference.

This. It took him really until the 2nd half to find his rhythm. If those tipped passes aren’t tipped, he might have settled in a lot sooner and we could have set the pace, not them. But I think it would have been a barn burner no matter what with Penix playing like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Worthy actually was looking back for the ball, but in a totally different area. It was just weird.

Dome stadium with lights and shit for one. The ball was released while he still in his route before getting his eyes on it. He never saw it for those reasons.

We saw it a lot last year. Sanders had one last night too although probably not a potential lights issue.

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Dome stadium with lights and shit for one. The ball was released while he still in his route before getting his eyes on it. He never saw it for those reasons.

We saw it a lot last year. Sanders had one last night too although probably not a potential lights issue.

I think the pressure forced Ewers to throw the ball earlier than anticipated. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

AD Mitchell is 3 " taller than that UW defensive back, but that guy used AD as a ladder.  He's pushing AD down, and boosting himself.  It was just another fucked up effort by the officials.  Would AD have caught it otherwise?  No idea.  Was it a fucking penalty?  In a just world.

the guy did not use AD as a ladder, and that is never a PI. he never pushed down on AD to boost himself, he simply had a better angle to make the play. the UW DB was breaking on the ball while AD was still turning his hips to adjust to the bad throw. UW guy simply ran downhill and jumped over AD who was scrambling to get his body into position to try and make a play. 

screen shots:

IMG_5683.thumb.jpeg.c73d44ce22859a9c6cffbfd317c17840.jpeg

IMG_5685.thumb.jpeg.6903cb92516f811ca14dcd54a91b49c9.jpeg

the ball is in the air and the UW DB is breaking on it, while AD is scrambling to turn his body around. that’s why the UW guy won the jump ball, not because of any PI.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

I'm fine with an open QB competition in the offseason, but have no reason to think that Arch Manning will beat out a very good QB who will be in his third year under Sark's system.

But, it's entirely possible that, based on the past two seasons, Quinn will get injured at some point and sit out a game or two, in which case Arch will have the opportunity as the QB1 for some amount of time.  If (a) Quinn and the offense is so-so going into that situation, and (b) Arch plays lights out, I can see Sark staying with Arch.

Unless and until that happens, it's Quinn's job to lose, and I still think with him as our QB we have the potential for another great season in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 9

I think the pressure forced Ewers to throw the ball earlier than anticipated. 

Yes, pressure was the reason it was early. The throw to Worthy had some air on it. He was looking but just never saw it. Reminds me of the end of last year’s baseball season. Sanders looked to have seen it but saw it late.

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm fine with an open QB competition in the offseason, but have no reason to think that Arch Manning will beat out a very good QB who will be in his third year under Sark's system.

But, it's entirely possible that, based on the past two seasons, Quinn will get injured at some point and sit out a game or two, in which case Arch will have the opportunity as the QB1 for some amount of time.  If (a) Quinn and the offense is so-so going into that situation, and (b) Arch plays lights out, I can see Sark staying with Arch.

Unless and until that happens, it's Quinn's job to lose, and I still think with him as our QB we have the potential for another great season in 2024.

in the heat of the moment i said i was ready for the arch era to begin, but i completely agree with this.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

not in a million years. there’s nothing there, the guy just made an easy play in the ball and any contact with AD totally negligible.

Well, actual officials have disagreed, and on this thread alone guys who played college ball disagree, but you believe what you want to believe.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

i believe that if the tables were turned and a PI was called on a Texas DB on that exact play that this site would form a militia and hunt down the official who made such an indefensible call on a play where there was almost zero contact made by a DB who was playing the ball. with a national title appearance on the line no less.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

49 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the guy did not use AD as a ladder, and that is never a PI. he never pushed down on AD to boost himself, he simply had a better angle to make the play. the UW DB was breaking on the ball while AD was still turning his hips to adjust to the bad throw. UW guy simply ran downhill and jumped over AD who was scrambling to get his body into position to try and make a play. 

screen shots:

the ball is in the air and the UW DB is breaking on it, while AD is scrambling to turn his body around. that’s why the UW guy won the jump ball, not because of any PI.

The other thing I see is Quinn having to rush the throw due to the DT's hand almost hitting his. He wasn't able to follow through. Blame the OL for that, not Quinn. I also think AD could have caught the ball had he jumped the same time as the DB. He would had the ball in his hand before the DB touched it, but he never jumped. The DB touched him before the ball arrived ever so slightly, but looks like at the same time in real time, but the DB didn't push him down.

Again, the real blame is on Campbell not giving Quinn time. Another second AD would've been in better position to jump and Quinn coulda made a better throw.

1 minute ago, Hard Times said:

I also think AD could have caught the ball had he jumped the same time as the DB.

IMG_5683.thumb.jpeg.32c42284618a43fdf2e81eb65ec47a54.jpeg

the ball is already in the air here and headed for those photographers standing out of bounds. the UW DB is already breaking on the ball while AD is facing the complete opposite direction of where the ball is headed. that’s why AD wasn’t able to jump at the same time as the DB.

• Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

screen shots:

What happened on the wide side?  By my count there’s only 1 DB over there with Worthy and Whittington.   They guy floating after Whittington stayed in the middle with 3 defenders in the middle covering Sanders and Blue.   6 on the line and 1 on Mitchell.   
2 of our best receivers with 1 guy covering to the wide side seems like the mismatch we wanted