Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Just now, C-Man said:

Yeah, see EDIT above.

haha no worries.

But for a future reference for anyone, not you really, that thinks Arch will legitimate push Quinn to be the starter next season, outside of an injury, just know that you have the same opinion as AAS clowns. 

Do yourselves a favor and don't be like the dipshits at AAS.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything in your post except the part where you call Ewers the frontrunner for the 2023 Heisman. He's on the 'watch' list, for sure, but the front runner? I don't think so. Based on Quinn's past health history, I fully expect Arch to get serious playing time next season when Quinn is inevitably sidelined with some kind of injury.

EDIT: Well, fuck me. I see that Ewers is tied with Carson Beck and Jalen Milroe in current Vegas' betting odds for the 2024 Heisman. I'll go get my shinebox.

He's had 2 injuries, one on a hit where he got driven into the ground on his shoulder and the other on a scramble where he took a hard hit in the wrong spot. Those injuries could have happened to anyone, it's not like he's some fragile dude or something.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You get to the spot and jump vertically. He got to the spot and went for the lean and pose. Look at his feet. He jumps vertically and he has plenty of room to come down in bounds. Anyone who doesn't think that has never had any decent athletic ability. AD is a player who plays hard exactly 3 or 4 plays a game and soft the rest. Lazy route running, allowing himself to physically get overwhelmed vs smaller DBs. Par for the fucking course for him and Worthy. There was nothing wrong with that throw. He simply lost the physical battle with a DB 6 inches shorter than him. Want to.

This is just not correct. AD should have done better but that was not a good throw and likely takes him OOB if he makes the catch. It wasn’t a horrible throw, but it made the play about as difficult as possible. 

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

haha no worries.

But for a future reference for anyone, not you really, that thinks Arch will legitimate push Quinn to be the starter next season, outside of an injury, just know that you have the same opinion as AAS clowns. 

Also don't give them the clicks/interactions. This is clickbait.

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

haha no worries.

Fuck.Cedric.Golden.

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

He's had 2 injuries, one on a hit where he got driven into the ground on his shoulder and the other on a scramble where he took a hard hit in the wrong spot. Those injuries could have happened to anyone, it's not like he's some fragile dude or something.

He was also injured and missed almost half of SLC's games in his last HS season. That's significant injuries in each of the last three seasons he's played, which is a disturbing trend.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I actually don't think it was that scramble that caused the injury but a sack prior

I think you're correct.

4 hours ago, sunset87 said:

This play has been nitpicked to death.  Quinn throws the ball to spot where he thinks Mitchell is going.  Mitchell  decides to turn his body to the left almost making a 360 degree turn, despite the ball being throw to his right shoulder.  The DB is squared up and in much better position to react/jump for the ball than Mitchell. So Mitchell is turning his body (the wrong way) to square up to try and make the catch and doesn't have time to get in a good position to jump for the ball.  The DB was in a better position when the ball arrived and made a good play, bottom line. Nothing wrong with the throw under the circumstances, imo.

To me, it really looks like AD was not expecting the ball to be thrown his way. The way he turned looked like an "oh shit!" moment where he just panicked and reacted too late to the ball. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnotherLawyer said:

It saddens me not only that there are so many stupid people...but that they choose to display their stupidity so publicly. Quinn is QB1. He's a RS-Soph returning as the Heisman frontrunner who had a season stat line of 272 of 394 for 69.0%, 3,479 yards, an 8.8 ypc, with 22 TD against 6 INT and a 158.6 passer rating, but, more importantly, a 12-1 regular season with a Big 12 championship and 0:01 and one misread pass away from playing for a national championship in a game where the other team had a nearly perfect outing until the very end of the 4th quarter. If you want Arch over Quinn for next season right now, you probably still think John Chiles should starts and VY should be moved to WR.

Kindly go fuck your own faces so you can stop the noise pollution coming from your own mouths but, in any event, pretty please with sugar on top, shut the fuck up.

If Quinn’s stats are so good then why does he have to come back another year to improve his draft stock? His stats are almost identical to Drake Maye. Maye lost to a bunch of shitty teams in addition to playing in a shitty ACC conference, yet he is predicted to go in the first round of the draft. 

5 minutes ago, MrBig said:

If Quinn’s stats are so good then why does he have to come back another year to improve his draft stock? His stats are almost identical to Drake Maye. Maye lost to a bunch of shitty teams in addition to playing in a shitty ACC conference, yet he is predicted to go in the first round of the draft. 

Uh . . . maybe because Maye has declared for the draft and Quinn hasn't?  I don't put much stock into draft predictions, but until Quinn says he's going pro, I sure wouldn't pay much attention to whatever random pundits are saying.

14 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Maybe because Maye just wants to get in the NFL, and going late in the first or early in second is fine for him. Or maybe he thinks the next class is too stacked and he's already outplayed Caleb Williams. Or maybe he's just fucking stupid. We don't know. But if you don't think Ewers could get drafted this season, you've lost the plot. But there's a huge difference between getting drafted late in the second vs. early in the first and that may be on his mind. He also may genuinely feel like he has unfinished business in college. It's a massive decision that will affect the rest of his life either way. 

His stats are good. It's great that he's coming back. Him not going to the NFL this draft is based on factors we're not privy to. 

9 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Maybe because Maye just wants to get in the NFL, and going late in the first or early in second is fine for him. Or maybe he thinks the next class is too stacked and he's already outplayed Caleb Williams. Or maybe he's just fucking stupid. We don't know. But if you don't think Ewers could get drafted this season, you've lost the plot. But there's a huge difference between getting drafted late in the second vs. early in the first and that may be on his mind. He also may genuinely feel like he has unfinished business in college. It's a massive decision that will affect the rest of his life either way. 

There's also that little-discussed safety cushion called NIL.  Quinn is quite comfortable, more comfortable (on an annual basis) than most of us will ever be in our lives.  And, I suspect Drake Maye isn't at that level, although I certainly don't know for sure.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

His stats are good. It's great that he's coming back. Him not going to the NFL this draft is based on factors we're not privy to. 

Well, Maye is also projected to be the second QB to get picked after Caleb Williams. Pretty sure if that's what Ewers was hearing, he'd be gone too -- and who could blame him? I think there are a half-dozen (or more) QB's that go ahead of Ewers if the draft were held today.

• Hook 'Em 1

Film matters more than stats, but stats do matter to an extent.

Maye and Williams are very talented playmakers. Quinn is really good, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a playmaker/field general type.

Quinn is like a talented bus driver for the offense right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Goddammit...what does one have to do with the other or anything else I said? You want to give up that known 5-star commodity for an untested 5-star? Is that your point?

And Quinn's stats are objectively good for fuck's sake. Jesus tittyfucking Christ.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, sunset87 said:

This play has been nitpicked to death.  Quinn throws the ball to spot where he thinks Mitchell is going.  Mitchell  decides to turn his body to the left almost making a 360 degree turn, despite the ball being throw to his right shoulder.  The DB is squared up and in much better position to react/jump for the ball than Mitchell. So Mitchell is turning his body (the wrong way) to square up to try and make the catch and doesn't have time to get in a good position to jump for the ball.  The DB was in a better position when the ball arrived and made a good play, bottom line. Nothing wrong with the throw under the circumstances, imo.

good analysis. and had he turned correctly he coulda adjusted sooner. That said, AD was prevented from jumping when it came time to jump. every time I see that play I am more convinced that was DPI and either way it's called it's hard to bitch, but that was enough for the flag. "that" fucking close.

tons of reasons for Quinn to stay and why his draft stock isn't higher. he's behind a stacked class of upperclassmen that is more crowded than usual due to covid extra years (Penix, Nix),  pro-style versus dual-threat types like CW and DM, NIL deals, durability, Quinn needs one full season without injury (he finally learned to slide), he's just 20 years old, unfinished business, improve mechanics. but to say he's not a stellar college quarterback is just dumb. if he improves next year like you would expect he will be a heisman front runner and put texas in the playoffs with a solid chance to make a deep run to a championship . now if he doesn't improve like that then we can revisit the difference between a stellar QB and a game manager.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is just not correct. AD should have done better but that was not a good throw and likely takes him OOB if he makes the catch. It wasn’t a horrible throw, but it made the play about as difficult as possible. 

They both should have done better and we shouldn’t put the all/most of the blame on either one (not saying you are). The previous corner fade for a touchdown, Ewers put the ball only where Michell could get it and he made a pretty good play to go get the ball. The final play it didn’t work out. What is totally getting lost in all of this is that the entire right side of the Oline did an awful job on the final play. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Film matters more than stats, but stats do matter to an extent.

Maye and Williams are very talented playmakers. Quinn is really good, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a playmaker/field general type.

Quinn is like a talented bus driver for the offense right now.

This is spot on imo. Ewers has the ability to take his talent up a notch and become a better playmaker. We’ve seen flashes of it this year with the throw to Baxter that got called back and then the throw to Michell at Iowa st that also got called back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Well, Maye is also projected to be the second QB to get picked after Caleb Williams. Pretty sure if that's what Ewers was hearing, he'd be gone too -- and who could blame him? I think there are a half-dozen (or more) QB's that go ahead of Ewers if the draft were held today.

That's fair but that's not the point I'm making. @MrBig asked why, if Ewers' stats are so good, is he not going in the draft. My response was illustrating that there are a thousand other factors beyond statistics and we don't know what they are. But the fact that he's not going in the draft, despite good statistics, is not an indictment of his level of play. I personally have no idea what Ewers is or isn't hearing. 

12 minutes ago, troph said:

tons of reasons for Quinn to stay and why his draft stock isn't higher. he's behind a stacked class of upperclassmen that is more crowded than usual due to covid extra years (Penix, Nix),  pro-style versus dual-threat types like CW and DM, NIL deals, durability, Quinn needs one full season without injury (he finally learned to slide), he's just 20 years old, unfinished business, improve mechanics. but to say he's not a stellar college quarterback is just dumb. if he improves next year like you would expect he will be a heisman front runner and put texas in the playoffs with a solid chance to make a deep run to a championship . now if he doesn't improve like that then we can revisit the difference between a stellar QB and a game manager.

Yes, this. Exactly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All I know is a lot folks here will have to eat crow if he stays. 99% of this board laughed at anyone suggesting it could happen at the beginning of the year (and missing a game or two was absolutely foreseeable).

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't think there was a possibility of him being gone until the Alabama game. He shot up to 1st-3rd QB on draft boards and a lottery pick, and it had me thinking he was definitely gone. I stopped worrying as much when he slowly dropped down to 6th-8th QB over the course of the season, but thought there was still a chance. Most ratings boards still have him no lower than 8th. In a draft this deep, that's probably still late 2nd/early 3rd if nothing else changes at the combine, especially given how many rookie QBs started a game in the NFL this season.

9 hours ago, sunset87 said:

This play has been nitpicked to death.  Quinn throws the ball to spot where he thinks Mitchell is going.  Mitchell  decides to turn his body to the left almost making a 360 degree turn,

mitchell “decided” to turn his body because if he didn’t do a full 180 + 2-3 more steps towards the boundary (aka the direct opposite direction from where he was running when the ball was released) then he wasn’t going to have a chance to stop the UW DB from easily picking off the bad pass.

It saddens me not only that there are so many stupid people...but that they choose to display their stupidity so publicly. Quinn is QB1. He's a RS-Soph returning as the Heisman frontrunner who had a season stat line of 272 of 394 for 69.0%, 3,479 yards, an 8.8 ypc, with 22 TD against 6 INT and a 158.6 passer rating, but, more importantly, a 12-1 regular season with a Big 12 championship and 0:01 and one misread pass away from playing for a national championship in a game where the other team had a nearly perfect outing until the very end of the 4th quarter. If you want Arch over Quinn for next season right now, you probably still think John Chiles should starts and VY should be moved to WR.
Kindly go fuck your own faces so you can stop the noise pollution coming from your own mouths but, in any event, pretty please with sugar on top, shut the fuck up.

It’s Childs
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

All I know is a lot folks here will have to eat crow if he stays. 99% of this board laughed at anyone suggesting it could happen at the beginning of the year (and missing a game or two was absolutely foreseeable).

Hell I got laughed at by a few folks here for saying that he wouldn't get drafted if he declares. Why would he declare? It just seems so damn silly. This kid is the highest rated QB recruit in the nation since Vince Young. First player to get a million dollar NIL deal. What does he have to show for it? Second team Big 12 QB and a conference title. My god, not even an award finalist for Maxwell or O'Brien. I don't wish the kid ill will at all. What this feels like is taking the hottest girl in school to prom, you get your photo taken with her at the door, and then she leaves. No dance, no midnight kiss, don't even get to grab an ass cheek. "Oh what could have been". That's what we'll be saying if he declares for the draft.

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

mitchell “decided” to turn his body because if he didn’t do a full 180 + 2-3 more steps towards the boundary (aka the direct opposite direction from where he was running when the ball was released) then he wasn’t going to have a chance to stop the UW DB from easily picking off the bad pass.

When you think you know something you create a whole argument on the basis of something you know but in reality is complete bullshit. For example, your description of the route AD ran. The route stem should be driven into the DB to get him to react, and then you break to the outside giving you the space you need to operate. That is receiver 101. Instead AD is drifting toward the sideline LEADING the DB to him. The DB had no guess work because AD's lazy route running told him where the throw was going to go.

You see, you come on here and blame that on the QB when that is entirely on AD for picking the game winning/losing play not to put forth effort. He was playing like he didn't expect the ball to come to him. It's lazy, and its what he has been doing on and off all season so no surprise that it showed up here. Everyone has a job to do on this play. Quinn needs to throw the ball high and to the outside. AD is supposed to create separation with proper route running, and then go get the ball thrown where he has the advantage. The DB is supposed to protect against inside breaking routes by sitting with inside leverage and break on anything going outside. Guess which two did their jobs and who didn't? Now go find me any expert that says the way AD ran his route there from 13 yards out was correct. I will hang up and wait.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Hell I got laughed at by a few folks here for saying that he wouldn't get drafted if he declares. Why would he declare? It just seems so damn silly. This kid is the highest rated QB recruit in the nation since Vince Young. First player to get a million dollar NIL deal. What does he have to show for it? Second team Big 12 QB and a conference title. My god, not even an award finalist for Maxwell or O'Brien. I don't wish the kid ill will at all. What this feels like is taking the hottest girl in school to prom, you get your photo taken with her at the door, and then she leaves. No dance, no midnight kiss, don't even get to grab an ass cheek. "Oh what could have been". That's what we'll be saying if he declares for the draft.

The underlying point of your post I agree with. But to think Ewers would go undrafted if he declares this year is way out in left field to me. 

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

When you think you know something you create a whole argument on the basis of something you know but in reality is complete bullshit. For example, your description of the route AD ran. The route stem should be driven into the DB to get him to react, and then you break to the outside giving you the space you need to operate. That is receiver 101. Instead AD is drifting toward the sideline LEADING the DB to him. The DB had no guess work because AD's lazy route running told him where the throw was going to go.

You see, you come on here and blame that on the QB when that is entirely on AD for picking the game winning/losing play not to put forth effort. He was playing like he didn't expect the ball to come to him. It's lazy, and its what he has been doing on and off all season so no surprise that it showed up here. Everyone has a job to do on this play. Quinn needs to throw the ball high and to the outside. AD is supposed to create separation with proper route running, and then go get the ball thrown where he has the advantage. The DB is supposed to protect against inside breaking routes by sitting with inside leverage and break on anything going outside. Guess which two did their jobs and who didn't? Now go find me any expert that says the way AD ran his route there from 13 yards out was correct. I will hang up and wait.

ADs route running does not negate the fact that Quinn did not recognize the soft coverage with the DB 7-8 yards off the receiver and make the adjustment. The QB has to know that AD is open if he throws it to the pylon. The lob out of the side of the end zone was the wrong throw when it’s clear the adjustment should have been to throw it towards the pylon. Colt McCoy was even standing in the end zone and was like WTF dude why are you throwing it outside like that. 

15 minutes ago, MrBig said:

ADs route running does not negate the fact that Quinn did not recognize the soft coverage with the DB 7-8 yards off the receiver and make the adjustment. The QB has to know that AD is open if he throws it to the pylon. The lob out of the side of the end zone was the wrong throw when it’s clear the adjustment should have been to throw it towards the pylon. Colt McCoy was even standing in the end zone and was like WTF dude why are you throwing it outside like that. 

Quinn had to rush the throw and was lucky just to get it away. It was a half arm throw just to get rid of it.  As I've asked 100x, how would Quinn do it he had all day to stand back there behind UW's line?? The real root cause on this play was Campbell and Jones. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

this is correct.  Lazy route by AD and he and Quinn are clearly not on the same page to adjust the route real time.    Maybe a byproduct of the portal era where these guys don’t have the time to build that type of chemistry.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Re: Colt’s thoughts on that play, how do you know that’s what he was thinking?

16 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Hell I got laughed at by a few folks here for saying that he wouldn't get drafted if he declares.

You should have gotten laughed at. We should still be laughing at you. He's currently graded as the 8th best QB by PFF and is ranked as their 60th best overall. That's typical of the draft ratings. Several have three QBs off the board in the top 10, meaning at 8th QB he'd be a solid 2nd rounder or maybe a 3rd rounder.

If you honestly think he's not getting drafted, did you hit your head? And, if not, ha fucking ha you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Now we can debate whether Arch would have made that throw or not. I’m kidding. 

That play should be motivating Quinn to no end though. At the very least he should learn to be more consistently calm in the pocket. 

He should also get better at knowing which arm angle to use for his throws. 

Edited by Atticus

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

Last time for me on this play. 

It wasn’t a great throw by Quinn but it was catchable in bounds, imo. He was under pressure and had to get rid of the ball where he could give AD a chance to make the catch.

If AD breaks to the outside instead of doing a 360 degree spin he could have been in position to jump sooner, jumping at the same time the DB jumps and essentially “blocking him out”, like a rebound. He’s taller and bigger than the DB, so I think he wins that battle. The ball is slapped away right on the boundary line. I think if AD could have jumped straight up earlier he could have made the catch and gotten a foot in bounds. 

Maybe Quinn was improvising because of the pressure and threw it to a different spot than AD was expecting, we don’t know. But, I don’t think the blame should fall all on Quinn for that play.

3 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

stop looking for blame where there is none.  we got beat by a better team.  

Got beat? No, we lost to a very much equivalent team. We came within a few seconds of winning. And that's with a -2 in turnovers and our QB going 0-5 to start the game and 0-4 to end it. No blame, just woulda-coulda-shoulda.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, AnotherLawyer said:

You should have gotten laughed at. We should still be laughing at you. He's currently graded as the 8th best QB by PFF and is ranked as their 60th best overall. That's typical of the draft ratings. Several have three QBs off the board in the top 10, meaning at 8th QB he'd be a solid 2nd rounder or maybe a 3rd rounder.

If you honestly think he's not getting drafted, did you hit your head? And, if not, ha fucking ha you.

That is absolutely not happening. I might be able to concede he'd be a late 6th or 7th round pick by a team but Quinn is not going in the first 3 rounds if he declares.