Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

No context for starters.
As previously mentioned you did not account for the strength of the defenses faced.
You also lumped in an upperclassman (Casey Thompson) with several freshman or redshirt freshman. 
It was a completely lazy and disengenuous take. 

Holy hell dude it’s an interesting look. No reason to bitch about someone putting it out there. Many here are informed enough to draw conclusions.

There are a ton of variables and what-ifs there. For instance, I’d say Ewers has the best TE of that bunch. His Bijan and Roschon was better than CTs. Beucheles targets were so inspirational I don’t even remember who they were.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Holy hell dude it’s an interesting look. No reason to bitch about someone putting it out there. Many here are informed enough to draw conclusions.

There are a ton of variables and what-ifs there. For instance, I’d say Ewers has the best TE of that bunch. His Bijan and Roschon was better than CTs. Beucheles targets were so inspirational I don’t even remember who they were.

What in God's name are you blathering about?

Edited by horngrad03

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

My appreciation for your capitalization of God shortly after jumping somebody’s post when there wasn’t much to bitch about.

You didn’t like Dignan stats and the lack of context. My second paragraph was some added context.

You seem a little tense.

Thank you for your concern. You seem cool.

Have to get the passing game going this week somehow, If Ewers has atleast 300 yards passing we should win and the run game will be opened up. I’d love to see some play action attacking the middle of the field.  Other teams run slants on us all day and we seem unable to run a slant?  Also a couple deep completions and Worthy putting full effort in would be nice also.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Have to get the passing game going this week somehow, If Ewers has atleast 300 yards passing we should win and the run game will be opened up. I’d love to see some play action attacking the middle of the field.  Other teams run slants on us all day and we seem unable to run a slant?  Also a couple deep completions and Worthy putting full effort in would be nice also.  

Yeah, Texas has to improve on amount of passing yards in this game Saturday.

Also protect the ball...  🤘

I'd love to see the breakdown of opponent for these first 6 , I'm guessing there are some major details there 

Card - ULaLa, Pig (road)…….UTSA. Tech (road), WVU, no 6th start
Thompson - Rice, Tech, TCU (road), OU, OSU, Baylor (road)
Ewers - ULM, Bama, OU, ISU, OSU (road), KSU (road)
Beuchele - Notre Dame, UTEP, Cal (road), OSU (road), OU, ISU
Sam - San Jose, USC (road), KSU, OU, OSU, Tech

Thompson 2 top 10 DFEI defenses.
Ewers 3 current top 10 DFEI defenses.

Scanned it pretty quickly but maybe only Card faced top 25 defenses of the other 3. One at 17, 23.

10 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Yes and no. 

His mechanics are often garbage. His deep balls aren’t accurate.

Short to Mid range, he’s lethal. 

We only throw deep to one guy and that guy gives up on routes, and is sometimes trotting. Hard to hit on a guy who changes his speeds all the time. Of his 13 incompletions 5 of them are Worthy targets. 1 of them was a throwaway. 3 of them he got clobbered as he was throwing. 1 of them J-Whitt dropped when he was about to get hit on a slant. Him and Worthy need to figure it out or find another receiver who is a try hard. 

Worthy pisses me off at times but y'all need to quit blaming him for Quinn's inconsistencies when it comes to placing the ball downfield. 

He went for basically 1,000 and 12 TDs as a true freshman last season. He has yet to have anything resembling a consistent deep-threat presence at QB at Texas. 

There are at least 2 balls that are poorly thrown for every ball that X makes a bad play on or doesn't chase. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Worthy pisses me off at times but y'all need to quit blaming him for Quinn's inconsistencies when it comes to placing the ball downfield. 

He went for basically 1,000 and 12 TDs as a true freshman last season. He has yet to have anything resembling a consistent deep-threat presence at QB at Texas. 

There are at least 2 balls that are poorly thrown for every ball that X makes a bad play on or doesn't chase. 

When no one can hit you consistently out of 3 quarterbacks maybe the problem IS you. We all know Worthy is uber talented. That much is obvious. He can get open every single play between his speed and ability to change direction without losing much mph. All I am saying is if you chart the incompletions they are to either him, throwaways, hits, or tipped passes for the most part. Something is happening at practice that is different than games because they are worlds apart on deep throws. He is overthrowing X off his back foot. Imagine if he stepped into his throws. Worthy looks to be running 3/4 speed. It's not just deep throws either. He is missing him on almost all his throws except those shallow crossers and he has even missed him there. 

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

We only throw deep to one guy and that guy gives up on routes, and is sometimes trotting. Hard to hit on a guy who changes his speeds all the time. Of his 13 incompletions 5 of them are Worthy targets. 1 of them was a throwaway. 3 of them he got clobbered as he was throwing. 1 of them J-Whitt dropped when he was about to get hit on a slant. Him and Worthy need to figure it out or find another receiver who is a try hard. 

Just because Worthy doesn’t play the ball well doesn’t mean Ewers is doing everything to make it easy to catch deep. 

Ewers mechanics on deep balls especially often ARE shit, his accuracy often IS garbage.

In his defense in the ISU and OkSt games my opinion is that the wind has a lot to do with it, and it’s often hard mentally to step into a throw when you’re hurting and a DLman is in your face or at your knees.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

And all the ragging on him for the “lack of effort” during OSU game didnt mention his effort in the returns. 

He graded a C to Ewers F-

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

That 1st throw should be a PI at a minimum. Looks like Quinn is throwing toward numbers on 1st to Worhty and he is bending it in. There is a safety in the middle of the field (though he is behind).Quinn misses at 1:54. Bad throw 2:30. 

Edited by Codaxx

This is a real question. Not try to talk shit here. 

do y’all really think he isn’t putting forth the effort? I mean. He is a receiver that has a very strong chance of making stupid money in the nfl.  Not just a good chance of making a team but a strong chance of making stupid money.  You think he isn’t making an effort out there trying to catch those balls? He’s doing all that running around out there and practice for days on end and then just lops around and says.  “Nah. That ball is not in my numbers I’m not raising my hands to make an effort. “ think of he just caught one of those deep balls a game that he isn’t making an effort for. Where would he rank in the making it to the nfl eyes?  I think the not trying thing is silly.  

17 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

do y’all really think he isn’t putting forth the effort? I mean. He is a receiver that has a very strong chance of making stupid money in the nfl.  Not just a good chance of making a team but a strong chance of making stupid money.  You think he isn’t making an effort out there trying to catch those balls? He’s doing all that running around out there and practice for days on end and then just lops around and says.  “Nah. That ball is not in my numbers I’m not raising my hands to make an effort. “ think of he just caught one of those deep balls a game that he isn’t making an effort for. Where would he rank in the making it to the nfl eyes?  I think the not trying thing is silly.  

I feel like he is trying not to get hurt. He is getting NIL money and will get drafted if he stays healthy. Perhaps he thinks risking his body to make a tough catch isn't worth it.

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I feel like he is trying not to get hurt. He is getting NIL money and will get drafted if he stays healthy. Perhaps he thinks risking his body to make a tough catch isn't worth it.

This is what I was thinking, while I was watching passes that as a really old "Lonesome End" I thought were quite catchable, and pondering why Xay didn't seem remotely interested in fighting through that D to catch it. Def remember him not even reaching for one pass that was about three inches overthrown.

Reminded me of one of our transfer out WRs - Washington, I believe - doing exactly the reverse and making an incredible catch a couple of times per game, while dropping every other ball that was thrown directly to him.

Zay, show some give-a-shit. Or don't, and act surprised when you aren't a Day One draftee.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

This is what I was thinking, while I was watching passes that as a really old "Lonesome End" I thought were quite catchable, and pondering why Xay didn't seem remotely interested in fighting through that D to catch it. Def remember him not even reaching for one pass that was about three inches overthrown.

Reminded me of one of our transfer out WRs - Washington, I believe - doing exactly the reverse and making an incredible catch a couple of times per game, while dropping every other ball that was thrown directly to him.

Zay, show some give-a-shit. Or don't, and act surprised when you aren't a Day One draftee.

It a night game on ABC vs a top 5 team. I am betting you see X playing very hard this week

9 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Just because Worthy doesn’t play the ball well doesn’t mean Ewers is doing everything to make it easy to catch deep. 

Ewers mechanics on deep balls especially often ARE shit, his accuracy often IS garbage.

In his defense in the ISU and OkSt games my opinion is that the wind has a lot to do with it, and it’s often hard mentally to step into a throw when you’re hurting and a DLman is in your face or at your knees.

I am looking at his speed, trotting at the end of routes, reluctance to leave his feet, put is arms up, or dive. Last game Ewers underthrew Worthy. The DB made a play on the ball and Worthy just watched. I was giving him the benefit of doubt being young and all, but this is year two and its pretty obvious he is just not making the effort. If you throw a ball to an area that is away from a db the receiver can run under it and none of us in the stands will even notice the change. A little effort goes a long way. 

7 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

is this a serious question?  you can’t comprehend laziness in a talented player?  did you ever play sports?

52 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I am looking at his speed, trotting at the end of routes, reluctance to leave his feet, put is arms up, or dive. Last game Ewers underthrew Worthy. The DB made a play on the ball and Worthy just watched. I was giving him the benefit of doubt being young and all, but this is year two and its pretty obvious he is just not making the effort. If you throw a ball to an area that is away from a db the receiver can run under it and none of us in the stands will even notice the change. A little effort goes a long way. 

None of which addresses Ewers’ issues such as shit mechanics or general inaccuracy on deep balls.

Does Worthy need to be better on deep balls?

Yes.

Does Ewers have issues such as bad footwork and in accurate deep throws?
Yes.

Edited by lilMAC25

On 11/9/2022 at 1:49 PM, Dignan said:

First six STARTS for these Texas QBs:

Ewers: 110-173 (58%), 1,336 yards, 13 TDs, 5 INTs (***** recruit, 1.000 rating)

Card: 92-139 (66%), 1,127 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT (**** recruit, 0.9721 rating)

Thompson: 103-162 (64%), 1,456 yards, 16 TDs, 6 INTs (**** recruit, 0.9021 rating)

Ehlinger: 133-239 (56%), 1,658 yards, 7 TDs, 6 INTs (**** recruit, 0.9446 rating)

Buechele: 123-193 (64%), 1,500 yards, 13 TDs, 5 INTs (**** recruit, 0.9250 rating)

I know I know, we have a long time to go with QE. But his first six starts are definitely underwhelming for a guy who was rated as a "perfect" recruit. I am confident he will get better and can't wait to see it. 

Now do VY

Agreed. I’ve seen a lot of missed throws that I put on the wr, that others here are using to say ewers is inaccurate deep. Ewers isn’t inaccurate deep.
  • Like 1

Not sure who started shitting on Worthy to cape for Ewers being inaccurate on his deep balls since he returned from injury. But these are some really bad takes.  I guess watching on TV some of you don’t realize how off these balls are, most if not all of them aren’t catchable if Worthy just gave a bit more effort, that’s nonsense. Worthy has given effort on returns, and also blocking downfield but when it comes to catching deep balls y’all think he is loafing around? And I guess we are all collectively ignoring Ewers bad mechanics which are probably contributing to his overthrows?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Not sure who started shitting on Worthy to cape for Ewers being inaccurate on his deep balls since he returned from injury. But these are some really bad takes.  I guess watching on TV some of you don’t realize how off these balls are, most if not all of them aren’t catchable if Worthy just gave a bit more effort, that’s nonsense. Worthy has given effort on returns, and also blocking downfield but when it comes to catching deep balls y’all think he is loafing around? And I guess we are all collectively ignoring Ewers bad mechanics which are probably contributing to his overthrows?

Your take is wrong and you should feel bad. Yes, some of the deep balls are really bad and Ewers has bad mechanics. But Worthy is also giving up way too early on balls that aren't that far off. It is really hard to judge how truly overthrown some of these are when Worthy is running at 75% right after the ball is in the air.  And this isn't just a recent thing either. Worthy has done it all year. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Your take is wrong and you should feel bad. Yes, some of the deep balls are really bad and Ewers has bad mechanics. But Worthy is also giving up way too early on balls that aren't that far off. It is really hard to judge how truly overthrown some of these are when Worthy is running at 75% right after the ball is in the air.  And this isn't just a recent thing either. Worthy has done it all year. 

He is pulling up because the balls are out of reach. Not sure why that is so hard for some of you to comprehend. Y’all are really taking the stance that Worthy is giving up on catchable balls? The only reason some of them even look close is because of his speed to begin with. Again these are some really stupid fucking takes. I guess the ball he caught where he laid out in the Bama game never happened. Worthy is giving effort in every other area but when it comes to deep balls he is lazy. This is the stance some of you are taking. As if a receiver of Worthy’s caliber would be more excited about blocking than catching deep balls lmao.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

He is pulling up because the balls are out of reach. Not sure why that is so hard for some of you to comprehend. Y’all are really taking the stance that Worthy is giving up on catchable balls? The only reason some of them even look close is because of his speed to begin with. Again these are some really stupid fucking takes. I guess the ball he caught where he laid out in the Bama game never happened. Worthy is giving effort in every other area but when it comes to deep balls he is lazy. This is the stance some of you are taking. As if a receiver of Worthy’s caliber would be more excited about blocking than catching deep balls lmao.

You are one of the few defending him. His effort isn't there, period. He doesn't fight for the ball. There have been many instances where the ball was directly over his head, overthrown yes, but I have taken stills of him looking up at the ball, not jumping with his hands at his side, one of those resulting in in INT. He has given up on routes multiple times with the ball just a few yards from him. Even GH has said multiple times he hasn't been consistent. There is plenty of blame on both he and Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Yes, he is pulling up early on potentially catchable balls (we really can't tell how catchable they are because he gives up so early). We saw it the first game of the season. It isn't quite clear as to why he is doing it. It appears to me that he has trouble tracking the ball, so it may be less an effort thing and more a he doesn't know where the ball is thing. He absolutely gives effort in other areas, so I'm not dogging him there. But, this is a definite pattern with him this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes, he is pulling up early on potentially catchable balls (we really can't tell how catchable they are because he gives up so early). We saw it the first game of the season. It isn't quite clear as to why he is doing it. It appears to me that he has trouble tracking the ball, so it may be less an effort thing and more a he doesn't know where the ball is thing. He absolutely gives effort in other areas, so I'm not dogging him there. But, this is a definite pattern with him this season. 

I think it is fair to say that it is a bit of both. Give him Q Johnston and his deep percentage probably goes up 20%. Some of it seems to be miscommunication. Several times Worthy is looking one way (inside) and Ewers is throwing outside. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Shades of Squints, from the other end of the pass?

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is fair to say that it is a bit of both. Give him Q Johnston and his deep percentage probably goes up 20%. Some of it seems to be miscommunication. Several times Worthy is looking one way (inside) and Ewers is throwing outside. 

Yup, both have messed up (and I'm guessing Worthy's apparent lack of effort was a decent part of why Red was so incensed on the sidelines in the Ok State game). And miscommunication is definitely part of it and probably plays into why Worthy doesn't appear able to locate the ball. 

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yup, both have messed up (and I'm guessing Worthy's apparent lack of effort was a decent part of why Red was so incensed on the sidelines in the Ok State game). And miscommunication is definitely part of it and probably plays into why Worthy doesn't appear able to locate the ball. 

So now you are really just making up shit. Red was mad on the sideline because he got yelled at for not running his own fucking route. Nothing at all to do with Worthy.

Kid went for almost 1k yards last year. Has as many TDs as games he has played. Some on Surly “the kid lacks effort” no wonder people think we are a fucking cesspool. 

Edited by SarkAfterDark

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

So now you are really just making up shit. Red was mad on the sideline because he got yelled at for not running his own fucking route. Nothing at all to do with Worthy.

I didn't think Red had even made it into the game at that point, which is why his anger was so confusing at the time. But, as I said, I was just guessing. I'm not guessing on Worthy giving up on routes early/failing to locate the ball. That has happened all year and I don't know why you refuse to recognize it. I'm not calling him a bad player or malcontent or anything. But it has been an issue. 

22 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Kid went for almost 1k yards last year. Has as many TDs as games he has played. Some on Surly “the kid lacks effort” no wonder people think we are a fucking cesspool. 

So his past performance prohibits us from criticizing him for lack of effort that is obvious..............He has given up on routes/balls. He has dropped too many passes. He has failed to attempt to get his hands up in an attempt to catch passes thrown to him. All what I have just said is on film and undeniable. Having said that, he is by far our best receiver and I don't want him to leave the program chasing more money until he can go to the NFL. I can assure you NFL scouts are saying the same things.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

You can question a good player's lack of effort. That said, as another old receiver, I personally don't think that's problem. It's either a lack of talent for tracking the ball or a lack of confidence for tracking the ball (and not wanting to look ridiculous, like he did when he actually did make an effort but fell down in the end zone on a long ball that wasn't perfect).

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I think it is more that Worthy has issues with the finer points of WR play. He has issues tracking the ball, as many here has stated. I dont think he has a deep understanding of coverages. It is a bit of a guess based on my viewing, but it appears he runs the route how it is written up. EX: He is supposed to run a post. There is safety in the middle of the field. He runs to the the middle of the field, instead of turning it into a skinny post to give himself and the QB more room. This maybe were some of the miscommunications are coming from. Ewers sees the Safety and is throwing away from help and X is running his route like it is drawn up (looking inside for the ball). I will admit it is a guess, because it is really hard to figure out who is at fault in those situations. Right now he is more of a great athlete playing WR, not many I prefer to him with the ball in his hands. He needs to refine his game, if he wants to really play at the next level.. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

You can question a good player's lack of effort. That said, as another old receiver, I personally don't think that's problem. It's either a lack of talent for tracking the ball or a lack of confidence for tracking the ball (and not wanting to look ridiculous, like he did when he actually did make an effort but fell down in the end zone on a long ball that wasn't perfect).

It’s more of a ball tracking issue if anything, along with not being on the same page as Ewers. These are points I can agree with. I have to assume those thinking its an effort issue have no idea what they are seeing. Imagine giving up on a route and going at 75% speed but still having 2-3 yards on your nearest defender lmao.

It’s more of a ball tracking issue if anything, along with not being on the same page as Ewers. These are points I can agree with. I have to assume those thinking its an effort issue have no idea what they are seeing. Imagine giving up on a route and going at 75% speed but still having 2-3 yards on your nearest defender lmao.

The guy gives too much effort in areas a lot of receivers prefer to half-ass for it to be a physical effort issue, imo.

It’s unlikely to be an either/or proposition as between Worthy and Ewers. That said, if they’re not on the same page, they need to get the hell on the same page. There have been enough plays by now for them to do the “what did you see here, I saw…” thing and get on the same page. A fully armed and operational Ewers-to-Worthy connection would go a long way toward closing out this season in a satisfying fashion.

6 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

So he has a ball tracking issue, that is plausible but that doesn't excuse the lack of effort on some other passes thrown at him. Like I said, there is film of him staring at the ball directly over his head, feet on the ground and hands not even moving in the direction of the ball.

18 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Not saying you don't know,  but how do you know that?

I believe Bobby mentioned that in his post game show or one of them right after the game. It was a 3rd down RPO. Red did not going out in his route. I believe Ewers had to eat the ball. 

16 hours ago, futureman said:

is this a serious question?  you can’t comprehend laziness in a talented player?  did you ever play sports?

yes. Serious.
 Yes I can comprehend, Just not sure what everyone is talking about is reality. 
no. Not at collegiate level and not against or around anyone with millions of dollars on the line. 

I also tend to give to much intelligence credit to people and have to constantly remind myself that most people out there are far dumber then I am. That goes for lazy talented players or internet worries the same. 😎

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

So he has a ball tracking issue, that is plausible but that doesn't excuse the lack of effort on some other passes thrown at him. Like I said, there is film of him staring at the ball directly over his head, feet on the ground and hands not even moving in the direction of the ball.

All our games are on Youtube. Please show us this film.

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet