Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

I’m glad we have Quinn. He is good. I know we were all over exaggerating and being half serious when we said he would win a heisman but I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Yes he’s a freshman but man he throws that ball away like no other. It’s like he doesn’t even try to extend it. I know they are diff QB’s but you see Bruce young have all these heisman moments and USC QB blanked on name.

I remember seeing CJ stroud in his first game last year and he was really bad so hopefully Quinn makes the same jump. He’s still very good but idk about first round leaving next year good, yet. If X isn’t gonna try at deep balls do we really not have anyone else we can try it with that’ll at least not give up on the route? Not Casey Cain obviously.

The over-reliance on throwing the deep ball is the major problem, imo.  Someone said QE can throw a deep out better than just about anybody. 

If that is true, then the coaching staff has rocks for brains.  I didn't see any deep outs yesterday.

I saw at least a half a dozen throw it deep and hope X catches it, and none of them were completed.  I like the highlight shown where QE did check down and threw to a player on a shallow crossing pattern.  

I would like to see mostly crossing patterns, deep outs, button hooks, square-ins,and old-fashioned screens to RBs.  

If someone is in love with the deep ball, let him throw one per half, to keep the D honest. In fact X can run himself silly all game with that because on one occasion it seemed as if there were three Kstate defenders back there with him.  

The really good news is that the final three opponents would expect half a dozen long balls, so they should be playing deep.  It's already on film, so the rest of the field is open. 

I'm not a fan of the stop and go, if we haven't completed a short pattern, which we mostly haven't.  

With our quality running game, there is so much out there that is probably wide open, it is a shame QE/coaching staff has reduced us to throw it long and hope Way, way, way too often.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Lot of negativity in here after a win. Putting up 34 on KSU is not a normal occurrence. That is a good defense. I thought Quinn was solid vs one of the best defenses  in the league. He didn’t force the ball. Took a lot of underneath stuff. Threw the ball away and didn’t take stupid sacks (pretty good at that). He didn’t turn it over. Not sure what some of you are expecting

A complete 4 quarters and a secondary 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

the first half was very good. We want 2 halves that look like that. 

Scoring 62 against a top defensive team would be the tits. It doesn’t seem like it should be impossible when we just slice through them in half one with sharp execution and brilliant play calling. 
it’s really really weird. 

36 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Lot of negativity in here after a win. Putting up 34 on KSU is not a normal occurrence. That is a good defense. I thought Quinn was solid vs one of the best defenses  in the league. He didn’t force the ball. Took a lot of underneath stuff. Threw the ball away and didn’t take stupid sacks (pretty good at that). He didn’t turn it over. Not sure what some of you are expecting

This is true. He's great with some of the midrange creative plays and can drop the ball into some very difficult spots within 20-30 yards. Why Sark pulls him back from that wheelhouse in the second half is a mystery. I see a lot of freshman in him. He's not a veteran at the line game manager and Sark needs to adjust the calling accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This is true. He's great with some of the midrange creative plays and can drop the ball into some very difficult spots within 20-30 yards. Why Sark pulls him back from that wheelhouse in the second half is a mystery. I see a lot of freshman in him. He's not a veteran at the line game manager and Sark needs to adjust the calling accordingly.

I didn’t go through it, but the mystery of the 2nd half was likely straight up mistakes. Worthy fumble and I believe 4 pre-snap penalties vs none in the first half. This wasn’t the OSU game where the offense looked lost at times. Their biggest drive might have been the almost 4.5 minute drive to start the 4Q that ended in a FG and put Texas up 10 pts 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I get that. I want to win power ball, but anyone that is upset that the offense scored 34 pts in 11 possessions is missing the forest for the trees. Especially considering KSU came in giving up under 1.7 pts per drive (Texas was 3+ Pts per In the game). I swear some of you would have been happier if the offense scored 28, but had a TD in every quarter. Offense scores 3+ per possession (great number) and defense gives up 2.45 (bad number) and let’s bitch about the freshmen QB. It’s like you all wait for the Longhorn media to tell you what to bitch about 

Not really. Obviously points are the most important thing, but efficiency is also high up the list. This defense isn't good and needs to be protected/helped. It's completely unreasonable to ask the offense for points every drive. However, it's not unreasonable to ask them for a few first downs and possibly flip the field. Sark has a major issue trying to run tempo all the time. With our second half woes it seems a healthy diet of intermediate passes (crosses, slants, outs, drags) to Whittington and Sanders. Mixed mixed a full on assault with Bijan and Rojo seems like a winning recipe. 

Snapping the ball with 20+ seconds on the play clock launching up low percentage completions is how double digit leads disappear fast....

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

This team shouldn't be held to 3 points in any half of football.  

You could say one of the best defenses In the conference should never give up 31 pts in a half also.  I think it is more a case of numbers leveling out.  Texas had 11 possessions in the game.  You could say 10 in normal offense. I think Sark made up his mind on the 11th, that he was just running the ball.  Texas scored on 5 of their first 6 (Rojo fumble). They had 4 possessions in the 2nd half of normal offense and went 1 of 4 and one of those ended on a fumble. I just don’t think they were going to maintain the 83% scoring level they had in the first half. 

• Hook 'Em 2

the first half was very good. We want 2 halves that look like that. 

The thing is everyone was screaming about running the ball in the second half, and sark did and it cost us several possessions because they couldn’t convert. The possessions we scored on had big breakout runs, which weren’t repeated in second half, and passes from ewers. We shouldn’t blame ewers for the lack of scoring in the second half.

Each possession’s outcome:

Texas
Q1
*TD
TD
Q2
TD
TO - Fumble
FG - 3rd down botched by poor pass pro
TD
Q3
TO - fumble by worthy soft hands
TO - punt, bad run followed by bad screen
TO - punt, couldn’t run on 3rd&2
Q4
FG - hit on 3rd down over thrown bijon td
TO - punt, 3&out, 3 runs terrible 3rd down play

Kansas state
Q1
TD
Q2
FG - wr dropped the td
TO - Punt, we actually got a sack
TO - great 4th down stop pbu in the end zone
TO - int by ford
Q3
*TO - punt, 3&out
TD - ball was short, funny cocksucker guy
TO - punt, missed facemask then 2 false starts
Q4
TD
FG - defense collapsed, held up in RZ
TO - qb stripped to end the game

True, but that didn’t happen
1st drive- 1 first down. Worthy fumbles on what would have been the 2 1st down
2nd drive- 9 play 29 yard drive. Took 4 minutes of the clock. Red false start, offense stalls from 1st and 15. Flipped the field 
3rd drive- finally a deep shot to Worthy. Followed up by a false start. 13 yard gain on second. Bijan stuffed on 3rd and 2… not a good possession
4th drive- 11 play drive. Takes 4:25 off the clock and ends in a FG
5th drive- Sark decides this is on Bijan. 3 runs and punt 
Texas ran 27 plays in the first 4 drives. They ran Bijan and Rojo 17 times on those drives. Bijan, WJhitt, Sanders, and Worthy all had at least 1 catch in the remaining 10 plays. The idea that Texas was running hurry up and chucking the ball down field in the second half is pure fiction 

It’s cool to actually watch the game instead of looking for cheap blame

I get that. I want to win power ball, but anyone that is upset that the offense scored 34 pts in 11 possessions is missing the forest for the trees. Especially considering KSU came in giving up under 1.7 pts per drive (Texas was 3+ Pts per In the game). I swear some of you would have been happier if the offense scored 28, but had a TD in every quarter. Offense scores 3+ per possession (great number) and defense gives up 2.45 (bad number) and let’s bitch about the freshmen QB. It’s like you all wait for the Longhorn media to tell you what to bitch about 

Exactly. The soft zone+no pressure was fucking infuriating and led to us giving up many 3rd and long and big plays.

Quinn will be fine.  I think after the Alabama injury he is still a little hurt, but the biggest thing is he has a bit of the yips.  He might be releasing a bit earlier than he should but a lot of those deep balls are definitely catchable.  The WRs especially Cain just have to learn to adjust a bit more.  Worthy as much as a badass he is does not seem like he is able to track the ball.  I think once they realize those balls hang and go right a little more they will be able to re calibrate their routes, but it's also on Quinn to throw it closer to their area.  He seems to be throwing just a bit taller and longer than his guys are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Quinn will be fine.  I think after the Alabama injury he is still a little hurt, but the biggest thing is he has a bit of the yips.  He might be releasing a bit earlier than he should but a lot of those deep balls are definitely catchable.  The WRs especially Cain just have to learn to adjust a bit more.  Worthy as much as a badass he is does not seem like he is able to track the ball.  I think once they realize those balls hang and go right a little more they will be able to re calibrate their routes, but it's also on Quinn to throw it closer to their area.  He seems to be throwing just a bit taller and longer than his guys are. 

I totally disagree about deep balls becoming more catchable.  Just with the eyeball test, the long balls are not any closer to being caught.  The closest one to being complete I remember was the OSU game, And it seems like we are throwing away more downs than before. 

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

He also driven twice into the ground onto that same shoulder. The 2nd time Jones completely fucked up his protection, the 1st was just a well-executed all-out blitz. Both hits lead to Texas FGs inside the 15.

Quinn is now under 60%, and his YPA and APYA are trending down as well. Only 1 more road game, and 2 really suspect defenses before getting a decent one in Baylor. I think a lot of Quinn's production was lost when Neyor tore his knee.

Seriously???
We are playing with a freshman QB and 2 or 3true freshman O Linemen. What in hell did y'all expect?
I think we will be fine. I see development in the works.

We’re the best team in the big 12. It’s not crazy to expect us to win the big 12 this year. We don’t have to play the ‘next year’ game, we have this chance this mothafuckin year
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

We’re the best team in the big 12. It’s not crazy to expect us to win the big 12 this year. We don’t have to play the ‘next year’ game, we have this chance this mothafuckin year

We have not won a conference championship in the last two decades. I would be EXTREMELY excited about a conference championship.

• Hook 'Em 7

We have not won a conference championship in the last two decades. I would be EXTREMELY excited about a conference championship.

Me too, that’s the goal and it is very achievable. So let’s not look back on the season and say “I couldn’t see this coming I spent the whole season saying we suck and maybe next year” because that would be a waste.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Wait until we get Neyor back and Cook + Stewart on the field with X. 

Quinn will be  a God. Except let's hope Brooks Is as advertised in the little snaps her gets, or Blue and Baxter go the fuck off for passes, too. 

Stewart? I thought I followed recruiting as closely as a sane individual should, but who is Stewart? Surely, you're not planning on Evan Stewart hitting the portal and us taking him, right?

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Wait until we get Neyor back and Cook + Stewart on the field with X. 

Quinn will be  a God. Except let's hope Brooks Is as advertised in the little snaps her gets, or Blue and Baxter go the fuck off for passes, too. 

I am not auto surrendering that Ro is not coming back. He has begun his Masters and is a very academically driven individual. Ro could very well still be on this team net season. RB is not going to be an issue. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Not only are we the best team. It's not even close and we are going to see that come Saturday. I think people are mistaking my posts about Sark as being down on the team. If Sark calls a full game the right way this team is blowing everyone out. That's how close they are to championship and playoff level greatness. 

You’re high. 

We’ve seen playoff level greatness around here and this team is nowhere near that.

Edited by Ghost of Shag

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

You must be blind then. This team is that good personnel wise. 

On offense we play like we're a super-horsepower engine that revs up for a minute and stalls. When firing on all cylinders it's something to behold. When not we look pathetic. Praying the coaches only need time.

• Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

On offense we play like we're a super-horsepower engine that revs up for a minute and stalls. When firing on all cylinders it's something to behold. When not we look pathetic. Praying the coaches only need time.

Inconsistent line play, especially in run-obvious situations- exacerbated by vanilla playcalling at times.

Edited by Loop 1604

Ever since I first saw him throw my first thought was "why doesn't he throw the ball harder?" It always seems like he flicks it instead of throw it. Impressive when you see how far he throws it sometimes, but still. It's like everything is a lob with touch on it. That being said, I am glad he is our QB. He will get better. I guess just "flicking it" doesn't make you a 5* QB and one of the highest rated of all time, so what the hell do I know? 

5 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

I am not auto surrendering that Ro is not coming back. He has begun his Masters and is a very academically driven individual. Ro could very well still be on this team net season. RB is not going to be an issue. 

I've thought about this as well, but dude wants to get paid and he can, like many other former longhorns, keep coming back in the off-season and continue his degree. Regardless, if he comes back we're gonna kill people, if not, we're still in a really healthy room of good backs. 

7 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Stewart? I thought I followed recruiting as closely as a sane individual should, but who is Stewart? Surely, you're not planning on Evan Stewart hitting the portal and us taking him, right?

Part of it is joking, but another part is he's good friends with Ewers and I can see Quinn talking Sark into adding another good WR, and start a new chapter regardless of what happened when he was recruiter prior. So basically it's a who knows situation and I wouldn't put it past Sark or Stewart to make things right and join up. I think he really does want to be a longhorn and knows he fucked up. 

1 hour ago, Dignan said:

Ever since I first saw him throw my first thought was "why doesn't he throw the ball harder?" It always seems like he flicks it instead of throw it. Impressive when you see how far he throws it sometimes, but still. It's like everything is a lob with touch on it. That being said, I am glad he is our QB. He will get better. I guess just "flicking it" doesn't make you a 5* QB and one of the highest rated of all time, so what the hell do I know? 

If he was more accurate with his flicks, it would be a considered an asset since he’s good at throwing catchable balls.

Ewers only needs to complete his next ~60 attempts to catchup to Colt’s freshman completion %.

19 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

It’s almost like our freshman quarterback and sophomore receiver, as good as they are, still have room to improve…

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Man I’m not interested in a pissing match because I appreciate your posts. But seriously? This team is that good personnel wise?

This team doesn’t have one player who would start on defense for our championship teams. Not a single one.

Man I’m not interested in a pissing match because I appreciate your posts. But seriously? This team is that good personnel wise?
This team doesn’t have one player who would start on defense for our championship teams. Not a single one.

I’m not sure anyone on the defense would make the two deep of the championship teams.

6 hours ago, immamac said:

They lack experience at too many key positions. Even with Neyor, 9 wins was most likely. No matter what Sark does, he can't make the young guys play like veterans. Can't make up for players lacking awareness or poise.

Next year is the big year if we stay healthier at key positions.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet