Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Immediate pressure isn't the QBs fault. Inside pressure is the worst kind of pressure there is because there is nowhere to go in the pocket. Quinn was letting the ball go very quickly. Too quickly. Quinn had a rough game, but giving up these kinds of pressures is exactly how you get your QB rattled. If you don't know, a defensive lineman has to expose himself to get a hand free and jump up to bat down balls. They teach you how to handle that, though QE should use his eyes better. Watch Conner's body position and hands on the first play with the batted ball and tell me how he could've handled that better. On the second batted ball the entire O-line gets relocated 3 yards back from the LOS. We got completely whipped up front in this game, and that's the first time that's happened all season. And it was everyone. Banks got ran by. Jones got put flat on his back. It was ugly. Quinn looking like that wasn't an accident. 

Its the defenses fault for actively trying to get to the qb and also intercept his throws. 

Otherwise Quinn wouldve gone 49/49. 

How dare they. 

4 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Or Card picks up big yards running for his life, because OSU didn't gameplan for a mobile QB.  Who knows?  But maybe at some point during SEVEN CONSECUTIVE drives of 4 plays or less, Sark could've given Card a chance?  If Ewers is as unflappable as everyone says he is, then he wouldn't be fazed by getting benched for a series or 3.

Card isn't Michael Vick. He has pretty good wheels once he gets going, but he isn't shifty. He isn't going to juke anyone. Pressure was immediate and a lot of it straight up the middle. Card holds the ball longer than QE so the likely result would be sacks instead of errant passes. This loss was a combination of the O-line getting consistently whipped. Receivers not helping out on balls they could've made an effort on. QE allowing the pass rush to affect him on downs where he actually had time. Card has never handled pressure well. We all know that. To coin a word from Roger Clemens, let's not go misremembering. 

Just now, 52-80 said:

Its the defenses fault for actively trying to get to the qb and also intercept his throws. 

Otherwise Quinn wouldve gone 49/49. 

How dare they. 

It's the O-line's fault for getting whipped soundly and letting the LOS get relocated into QE's lap repeatedly. You have a freshmen back there receivers and O-line. Help his ass out. Worst game they could've played was the game they played Sat. 

7 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Or Card picks up big yards running for his life, because OSU didn't gameplan for a mobile QB.  Who knows?  But maybe at some point during SEVEN CONSECUTIVE drives of 4 plays or less, Sark could've given Card a chance?  If Ewers is as unflappable as everyone says he is, then he wouldn't be fazed by getting benched for a series or 3.

Backup qb memory on this site is weird. Card was good for 1 run a game. Not saying he can’t run more, but he’s always been more likely to get sacked than to take off. This idea that we win because Card runs is confusing. Sacked 8 times, tucked and run maybe 3-4 times? 

I don’t really mean this as a slight to Card. He could easily be a factor if our coach was ok running qbs. Sark is not, therefore his lack of pocket presence combined with being coached to sit is a major liability.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Card isn't Michael Vick. He has pretty good wheels once he gets going, but he isn't shifty. He isn't going to juke anyone. Pressure was immediate and a lot of it straight up the middle. Card holds the ball longer than QE so the likely result would be sacks instead of errant passes. This loss was a combination of the O-line getting consistently whipped. Receivers not helping out on balls they could've made an effort on. QE allowing the pass rush to affect him on downs where he actually had time. Card has never handled pressure well. We all know that. To coin a word from Roger Clemens, let's not go misremembering. 

Exactly

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

I agree with this. We're not 5-7 (gulp) yet. I still think this team can get to 7-5 or maybe 8-4 if Ewers isn't completely broken.

We can beat Baylor and Kansas, probably K State as well(for a 6th straight year) and lose to TCU in a close one. Hoping we win out, but 8-4 was the ceiling and realistically what we al thought would be this year. 

10 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

We can beat Baylor and Kansas, probably K State as well(for a 6th straight year) and lose to TCU in a close one. Hoping we win out, but 8-4 was the ceiling and realistically what we al thought would be this year. 

If only we had a coach on staff that knew most of TCU players very well and all of their weaknesses, we could come up with a good plan to stop TCU and beat that ass.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

Backup qb memory on this site is weird. Card was good for 1 run a game. Not saying he can’t run more, but he’s always been more likely to get sacked than to take off. This idea that we win because Card runs is confusing. Sacked 8 times, tucked and run maybe 3-4 times? 

Making up arguments is weird. The idea isnt to turn Card into Vince Young. The idea is to try someone else - anybody else - who can move the chains once after 7 consecutive failed attempts. 

Maybe try to score more than 3 points in a half?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Making up arguments is weird. The idea isnt to turn Card into Vince Young. The idea is to try someone else - anybody else - who can move the chains once after 7 consecutive failed attempts. 

Maybe try to score more than 3 points in a half?

What is weird is thinking the backup turned into someone else while sitting on the bench, as if we didn't just see him a couple games back struggling mightily to hit receivers. No wind. No solid defense. No good pass rush. Just struggling for the sake of struggling. 

. We missed a kick. Had a bunch of penalties. Dropped some 1st downs. Dropped a TD. Had the ball go through our hands on the drive to tie it up resulting in a pick. Ewers wasn't good but let's not pretend those were his fault. 

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Some of y’all are acting like Card would have been asked to win this game. Had we gained a couple more first downs, had the clock running with a couple fewer incompletions, OSU never ties us much less goes up. No need for hero ball just do better than historic incompetence 

Tell me how he would do that using the data you have about his game and recent past.

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Tell me how he would do that using the data you have about his game and recent past.

How about some zone read? Designed QB runs? Any short safe passes to the TE or backs? Keep running the same shit w Card but let Ewers watch it a couple of series to get his head cleared. 

edit and how about just letting the quarter expire when you have the fucking lead

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

How about some zone read? Designed QB runs? Any short safe passes to the TE or backs? Keep running the same shit w Card but let Ewers watch it a couple of series to get his head cleared. 

zone read & designed QB runs are not a part of the offense so that's a non-starter in the middle of the game. Short passes to the TE, WR screens that worked earlier in the game, TE/RB screens that were open vs a very aggressive pass rush. Any of those would have been a nice change of pace in the second half but it's not on Ewers to call the offense is it? We did nothing to slow down their pass rush in the second half & make their DL think twice, that's a play calling flaw. 

People say QBs with big arms trust their arms too much & it makes them make bad decisions. I think Ewers arm talent did that for Sark on Saturday. Sark knows he can make all the throws & throw them with anticipation, so instead of reining the offense in & getting the ball to our guys in space in the second half like he did with Bijan, Thompson, Whittington, & Worthy in the first half, he was content with running plays that required protection that we couldn't provide & required the accuracy that Quinn didn't have in the second half. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Some of y’all are acting like Card would have been asked to win this game. Had we gained a couple more first downs, had the clock running with a couple fewer incompletions, OSU never ties us much less goes up. No need for hero ball just do better than historic incompetence 

this can go to the current game. The biggest play of the game is Worthy dropping a touchdown pass. 

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

What is weird is thinking the backup turned into someone else while sitting on the bench, as if we didn't just see him a couple games back struggling mightily to hit receivers. No wind. No solid defense. No good pass rush. Just struggling for the sake of struggling. 

. We missed a kick. Had a bunch of penalties. Dropped some 1st downs. Dropped a TD. Had the ball go through our hands on the drive to tie it up resulting in a pick. Ewers wasn't good but let's not pretend those were his fault. 

“Well he was 15/49 but only because the defense (one of the worst in the country) was playing defense, so it wasnt because of the QB”

cupcake-gifs-jMQJ0y.gif

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

“Well he was 15/49 but only because the defense (one of the worst in the country) was playing defense, so it wasnt because of the QB”

cupcake-gifs-jMQJ0y.gif

I think it is fair to say Texas lost for a bunch of reasons. Defense actually was solid in the 1st half, outside of shooting themselves in the foot constantly. OSU had 3 TD drives in the 1st half and all of them were added by a penalty to give them a 1st down (my favorite being back to back offsides). Those extra yards and plays are body punches to a defense and self-inflicted. Clean that up and Texas is probably rolling with a big lead entering the 2nd half. Ewers was bad for like 85% of the game. He gets his head out of his ass and Worthy, JWhitt, and Sanders all have drops. You just arent beating Gundy on the road with that many penalties and poor play from your QB and best WR. I have seen Gundy coach for a long time, you can not make mistakes like that and beat him. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

If you're referring back to the Tech game (because Card went 21-27, 303 YDS, 3 TD against his last opponent), you may have forgotten Card was hobbling around and couldn't plant his feet well.  "No solid defense"?  I mean, Tech's defense isn't amazing, but it's good for the third best total defense in our conference.  You may have forgotten that we were playing in the most hostile road environment in the Big 12, against a team that was playing their Super Bowl.  So you can ignore all of those and say Card was "Just struggling for the sake of struggling" all you want, but he still went 20-30, 277 YDS, 2 TD, 1 INT, which is more completions than Quinn had with 19 more attempts.  Again, at some point during SEVEN CONSECUTIVE drives of 4 plays or less, you have to think about making a change to get things going.  We've seen it time and time again where a backup steps in and plays above their skill level because they have something to prove.  No one has forgotten that Card isn't Drew Brees, but when your starter is having a nightmare of a game, give him a break and let him recollect himself instead of continually throwing him into the fire.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

cupcake-gifs-jMQJ0y.gif

Who are you quoting? He was 19 for 49 and I counted 6 passes our receivers  could have caught or dropped. He could have easily been 25 for 49 for over 400 yards and 3 TDs an 2 picks while winning the game. There are 11 guys on offense on every play. Quarterbacks often get too much blame and too much glory. Quinn was bad no doubt but he didn't get much help from play calling or team mates in the second half. Worthy should be benched for his effort. The offensive line was bad in pass pro all day and terrible in both pass and run blocking in thee second half. I'm honestly not surprised people are crying for the backup, but per usual, it was a dumb idea. Card would have got sacked 10 times Saturday.

All I know is, if it were Card out there, airmailing pass after pass, this board would have torched his car, doxxed his private residence, and put out a contract on him.

** Not saying Card is better, btw. Just noting the double standard. This is a team game, but Quinn is the reason Texas isn't up by three touchdowns right now.
Airmailing passes assumes he doesn't hang on to the ball like it's the last one on earth and he really wants to keep it...for a sack and 4 yard loss.

**Sidesteps incoming flying shoes from LT mafia**
  • Haha 2

Now check the stats for Hudson card under duress. The OL was the biggest reason for the offensive struggles in Stillwater. Quinn barely had time to make it through his first read on most plays before getting or feeling pressured. 

The blocking from TEs and WRs was spotty in this game too, Bijan missed a blitzer on a play that would have gone for huge yards too. It was really a total team failure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tell you what, I thought from the first pass that QE looked hurt. The glove, alleged "lifted" nail... I've had nails torn off - or nearly so - a time  or two, and I sure as fuck didn't feel like throwing anything, hard, a couple of days afterward, much less flinging a football twenty, thirty, forty yard while large angry people chased me around and the guys that were supposed to be helping were all yelling "Look out! Look out!" and other helpful things. Maybe a needle full of lidocaine or some such would be able to assuage the pain, but leave the finger more or less unuseful. Things kinda looked like some such was possible, wouldn't surprise me.

He really didn't look like he should be on the field, and I am ummm troubled, yes troubled that his HC, OC, and play caller all apparently thought he was fine. I'd like to know what his teammates and other coaches thought.

46 minutes ago, ousux said:

Airmailing passes assumes he doesn't hang on to the ball like it's the last one on earth and he really wants to keep it...for a sack and 4 yard loss.

**Sidesteps incoming flying shoes from LT mafia**

or, god forbid, he were to throw it at the feet of a receiver that's fallen in the backfield.

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

on the first 3 drives of the 2nd half, running on 2nd and 3rd down with :01 left on the playclock instead of passing burns more than 5:00 off the game clock and we win

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

cupcake-gifs-jMQJ0y.gif

Stats don't matter situations do. Say you have a bad secondary but a good d line. You are terrible all year but then you play a team with an inexperienced o line. Your d line pressure doesn't give the opposition a chance to attack your weak secondary. That's what happened Sat. 

Trying to pinpoint blame for that loss on one player is dumb.

When pretty much every player looks like hammered dogshit, it’s safe to say the coaches didn’t have the team ready to play.

We looked lost out there…it looked like the same team that folded down the stretch last year.

No bueno.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Ewers lost a fingernail on his throwing hand after the finger had been inadvertently slammed in a door early last week. After Saturday’s game, Ewers said the nail on his index finger on his throwing hand “got lifted off the nail bed” early last week as the reason for wearing a glove on his throwing hand in pre-game warmups.

When Sarkisian was asked if that could’ve affected Ewers’ performance, Sarkisian said, “I don’t think that contributed to it. He threw all week. He threw great. I don’t think that was the issue Saturday. The precision wasn’t right. Whether it was him, the receivers, the O-line - all of it tying together. And, ultimately, as a young player on the road, sometimes you can then start to play a little hesitant as opposed to just knowing. And that’s where we have to get to as a group. It’s not just him (Ewers). It’s as a group, when we go into a game that we know how these plays are going to go and how they’re going to work, predicated off of what we think we’re going to get.

“And then the responsibility of the quarterback, whoever it is, is to know when we don’t get those premier looks of what we’re looking for - where those secondary reads are, the second, third, fourth reads in the progression. So, those are things that we’re going to work on with him this week.”

26 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

E

“And then the responsibility of the quarterback, whoever it is, is to know when we don’t get those premier looks of what we’re looking for - where those secondary reads are, the second, third, fourth reads in the progression. So, those are things that we’re going to work on with him this week.”

Quinn is practicing vs the Texas defense, so I can completely understand how he has limited experience looking for his 2nd read. (low blow, but someone had to do it)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

30 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I find it difficult to believe this offense doesn’t have a single qb option or designed run in the entire playbook, but if true that is pretty damning IMO

we have seen QB runs called under Sark. They are on film, so of course they are in the playbook. In a normal situation Sark is not a big fan of QB run. I cant imagine him calling much given he hasnt had a healthy QB room since about week 5 of the 2021 season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I find it difficult to believe this offense doesn’t have a single qb option or designed run in the entire playbook, but if true that is pretty damning IMO

Lol. This is one of the best playbooks in the country. Look, the problem isn't zone read or whatever you think it is.  The problem is this.... This is our attrition from our 19 and 20 classes. 

Bru McCoy gone
Jake Smith gone
Tyler Johnson gone
Tyler Owens gone
Kenyatta Watson gone
Marcus Washington gone
Chris Adimora gone
Myron Warren gone
Caleb Johnson gone
Kennedy Lewis gone
Jared Wiley gone
Willie Tyler gone
Juwan Mitchell gone

JaQuinden Johnson gone
Xavion Alford gone
Jalen Garth gone
Kelvontay Dixon gone
Dajon Harrison gone

Here are the people who were still on but not producing at the level we thought. 

De'Gabriel Floyd
David Gbenda
Derrian Brown
Isaiah Hookfin
Hudson Card
Alfred Collins
Prince Dorbah
Kitan Crawford
Troy Omeire
Logan Parr
Andrej Karic
Sawyer Goram-Welch

That's 46 total recruits we took in '19 and '20. Eighteen of the 46 left the program. Twelve haven't really worked out. That's missing on 30 of 46 guys. I will say 29 of 46 for the people who think Card is where he should be. Anyway, when you are that abysmal at recruiting then you get what we have now. A bunch of inexperience all over the place because we have no depth. We have no third WR. We have barely a line behind the guys currently playing. We have no secondary behind the starters who are ready to play. No LB depth. No edge rushers at all. Our QB is a freshman. 

We have to stack some classes on top of each other so we can finally get some depth. Outside of DT and RB we are an injury away from plugging in someone who is terrible at the job. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. This is one of the best playbooks in the country. Look, the problem isn't zone read or whatever you think it is.  The problem is this.... This is our attrition from our 19 and 20 classes. 

Bru McCoy gone
Jake Smith gone
Tyler Johnson gone
Tyler Owens gone
Kenyatta Watson gone
Marcus Washington gone
Chris Adimora gone
Myron Warren gone
Caleb Johnson gone
Kennedy Lewis gone
Jared Wiley gone
Willie Tyler gone
Juwan Mitchell gone

JaQuinden Johnson gone
Xavion Alford gone
Jalen Garth gone
Kelvontay Dixon gone
Dajon Harrison gone

Here are the people who were still on but not producing at the level we thought. 

De'Gabriel Floyd
David Gbenda
Derrian Brown
Isaiah Hookfin
Hudson Card
Alfred Collins
Prince Dorbah
Kitan Crawford
Troy Omeire
Logan Parr
Andrej Karic
Sawyer Goram-Welch

That's 46 total recruits we took in '19 and '20. Eighteen of the 46 left the program. Twelve haven't really worked out. That's missing on 30 of 46 guys. I will say 29 of 46 for the people who think Card is where he should be. Anyway, when you are that abysmal at recruiting then you get what we have now. A bunch of inexperience all over the place because we have no depth. We have no third WR. We have barely a line behind the guys currently playing. We have no secondary behind the starters who are ready to play. No LB depth. No edge rushers at all. Our QB is a freshman. 

We have to stack some classes on top of each other so we can finally get some depth. Outside of DT and RB we are an injury away from plugging in someone who is terrible at the job. 

You’re kind of making my point for me. With elite talent, Sarkisian will crush it. unfortunately you have to be able to make what you have work. He couldn’t  do that Saturday. Couldn’t get his head out of the trap

Fantastic schemer, definitely can and does get outcoached.

49 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Bru McCoy gone
Jake Smith gone
Tyler Johnson gone
Tyler Owens gone
Kenyatta Watson gone
Marcus Washington gone
Chris Adimora gone
Myron Warren gone
Caleb Johnson gone
Kennedy Lewis gone
Jared Wiley gone
Willie Tyler gone
Juwan Mitchell gone

JaQuinden Johnson gone
Xavion Alford gone
Jalen Garth gone
Kelvontay Dixon gone
Dajon Harrison gone

De'Gabriel Floyd
David Gbenda
Derrian Brown
Isaiah Hookfin
Hudson Card
Alfred Collins
Prince Dorbah
Kitan Crawford
Troy Omeire
Logan Parr
Andrej Karic
Sawyer Goram-Welch

De'Gabriel Floyd never suited up for Texas.  Kitan Crawford has made some plays for us.  How is it that Hudson Card should be producing at the level we thought when only one QB at a time can play? 

9 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

So, pretty much what we needed him to do against Tech?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Bru McCoy gone
Jake Smith gone
Tyler Johnson gone
Tyler Owens gone
Kenyatta Watson gone
Marcus Washington gone
Chris Adimora gone
Myron Warren gone
Caleb Johnson gone
Kennedy Lewis gone
Jared Wiley gone
Willie Tyler gone
Juwan Mitchell gone

JaQuinden Johnson gone
Xavion Alford gone
Jalen Garth gone
Kelvontay Dixon gone
Dajon Harrison gone

De'Gabriel Floyd
David Gbenda
Derrian Brown
Isaiah Hookfin
Hudson Card
Alfred Collins
Prince Dorbah
Kitan Crawford
Troy Omeire
Logan Parr
Andrej Karic
Sawyer Goram-Welch

It’s actually much worse than your list, but next time I get loaded and want to jump off the ledge I’m gonna summon you to talk me off of it 😂.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

De'Gabriel Floyd never suited up for Texas.  Kitan Crawford has made some plays for us.  How is it that Hudson Card should be producing at the level we thought when only one QB at a time can play? 

Last year he lost the starting job. Then he lost the QB battle this year two when he had a year in Sark's system and Quinn was coming in fresh. 

Floyd never suited up for Texas but we did waste a scholarship spot on him. My point is that we don't have the talent that everyone thinks we do. 

Just now, Ignatius said:

Oh OK, so the thing he couldn’t do as a starter you think he could accomplish if he were coming off the bench?

Hold a lead for 1 1/2 quarters as opposed to playing a whole game at a high level? Or maybe just run clock for a couple of possessions and let Ewers get a little unfucked mentally? Yeah I think that definitely could have resulted in a better outcome than the shitshow we watched Saturday 

• Hook 'Em 1

Two words: freshman quarterback. Played literal handful of games and there are going to be some stinkers. We aren’t good enough to overcome a bad game from QB against a good opponent, especially if OL is contributing to the troubles. It is what it is. Sark can try to scheme but things spiral. Move forward. Get better. Hopefully won’t have any next year. But at some point in our future Manning will have a couple too. It’s football and nobody is perfect. We all expected 2-4 losses. I hope we can win out. I’d consider it a success. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Last year he lost the starting job. Then he lost the QB battle this year two when he had a year in Sark's system and Quinn was coming in fresh. 

Floyd never suited up for Texas but we did waste a scholarship spot on him. My point is that we don't have the depth that everyone thinks we do. 

Fify

The biggest thing on Card is that Sark probably should have tried it.  Everything else is speculation.  One or two bad series from Card, if he failed, wouldn't have been any worse than what we got.  Hell, even sitting Ewers for one or two series might have shaken something loose.

I'm coming to believe that one of Sark's flaws as a coach is that he doesn't seem to be willing to believe what his eyes are telling him.  He didn't believe how jacked up our roster and attitude was when he got here.  He doesn't seem to see/believe that PK's defense is FUBAR, which might be related to coming to believe that the roster is actually kinda fucked.  He didn't want to believe that Ewers was as bad and would stay as bad as he was Saturday.  And/or the receivers.

Is that a permanent condition or something Sark can overcome?  Who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

The double standard is something. But y’all have inspired me to watch.

And I currently have it paused with 2:25 in the 1st. Guess what’s happening. OSU is rushing 6. All eligible receivers released. Since I don’t think some of you assholes can add and subtract, that’s 5 to cover 5. It’s probably our Olines fault that the 6th rusher comes free. Looks to be good coverage underneath. QE decides early where he’s going. You can’t see our other WR so not sure exactly what’s happening there. The play to be made was the QB slide out of the pocket to the right or make the backside pay. This is probably one that Worthy “could have caught” in several of your eyes, but the way it played out I’m not sure he saw the ball early enough.

Whitt has single coverage to his side. QE never gave him a look. We motion Bijan to the right, which pulls the safety out of the middle of the field. The backer is going to have to take Sanders. Whitt with half a field and one defender.

Kinda curious. That guy can you give me some analysis. Maybe some screenshots.

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet