Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It's hyperbole buy you get the point. Your backup's skillset had to vote into the calculation too. They were in the pocket all day, so as a HC you ask yourself what the other guy would do differently that would make the situation better. You don't just toss him out there and hope he does better. 

Hyperbole proves a point? OK, sure. Whatever. Look, we'll never get to a consensus on this. It was clear Ewers wasn't getting the job done in the second half. My argument -- and @Sawbonz's too, I think -- is that Card likely couldn't have done worse (on the scoreboard for sure) than Ewers did in the second half so what is the harm in trying him for a series or two. Of course hindsight is 20-20. Ewers led Texas to three second-half points. It's possible Card plays the entire second half and Texas doesn't score at all. But we don't know. What we know is that while the defense played admirably in the third quarter, the offense didn't create the separation that would've clinched the victory.

I also thinks it's disingenuous if you can't admit Card has made improvements since last year's Arkansas game. Is he every-week starter level at Texas? Of course not. But that game was a textbook case to swap QB's for a series (maybe two) just to see if something could be done to shake things up. I mean Ewers did NOTHING for the most part after the half. You can blame the wideouts the o-line, the play-caller, whatever. I think they all share culpability but all of that is hard to overcome if the trigger man is also a major liability. Here we are on Thursday following the loss and we still don't have a great handle on what Ewers' issue was -- injury, first-road start jitters, wind, OSU pressure, GF broke up with him, hungover. One thing Card has on Ewers is experience. Ewers' natural ability dwarfs Card's. I think we all agree with that. But if Ewers' head was scrambled, maybe Card's isn't. The point we keep belaboring is that there was no ultimate downside to trying Card against OSU.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I missed Sark's remarks (band name?) about all the adjustments he made that shoulda woulda coulda scored more than 3 points in the second half. Probably just too lazy on my part, so who's got some links?

If Card's so bad that we won't even consider playing him (I believe I did see or hear that Sark made a specific comment that he "didn't even consider" Card)... if he's less than three points worthy, and QB3 is Wright, whom no one would put in the game, and apparently Maalik Murphy has been disappeared or is still mopedaled, then we may as well forfeit the rest of the games at the half, if Ewers is in whatever his situation was in Stillwater.

For what it's worth, I considered the possibility that Card is still suffering on that ankle and that's why he saw no pt. Otherwise, assuming what we've seen all year is still going on, I want to see Card, Bijan, and Rojo on the field, and the first opportunity - second or third and short, whatever - line up RoCat, have Card full go instead of just standing there and let RoJo take a step or two and loft one to Card, who should be 10-15 yards past any defender. 

So, bottom like is we have no idea what was going on with Ewers. If the staff doesn't know either, or has some horrible problem with revealing it, we've got a lot more wrong than we think.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Hyperbole proves a point? OK, sure. Whatever. Look, we'll never get to a consensus on this. It was clear Ewers wasn't getting the job done in the second half. My argument -- and @Sawbonz's too, I think -- is that Card likely couldn't have done worse (on the scoreboard for sure) than Ewers did in the second half so what is the harm in trying him for a series or two. Of course hindsight is 20-20. Ewers led Texas to three second-half points. It's possible Card plays the entire second half and Texas doesn't score at all. But we don't know. What we know is that while the defense played admirably in the third quarter, the offense didn't create the separation that would've clinched the victory.

I also thinks it's disingenuous if you can't admit Card has made improvements since last year's Arkansas game. Is he every-week starter level at Texas? Of course not. But that game was a textbook case to swap QB's for a series (maybe two) just to see if something could be done to shake things up. I mean Ewers did NOTHING for the most part after the half. You can blame the wideouts the o-line, the play-caller, whatever. I think they all share culpability but all of that is hard to overcome if the trigger man is also a major liability. Here we are on Thursday following the loss and we still don't have a great handle on what Ewers' issue was -- injury, first-road start jitters, wind, OSU pressure, GF broke up with him, hungover. One thing Card has on Ewers is experience. Ewers' natural ability dwarfs Card's. I think we all agree with that. But if Ewers' head was scrambled, maybe Card's isn't. The point we keep belaboring is that there was no ultimate downside to trying Card against OSU.

It's just as disingenuous to put it all on Ewers. Runs for 50 yards and a holding call brings it back. Hits worthy for a TD and he falls. Other stupid penalties putting us behind the chains. Auburn missing a kick. Sanders letting the pass go through his hands for the interception. The list goes on. 

Now as far as Card goes, we don't know if he has settled down vs aggressive pass rushes until we see him vs one. Bama wasn't abusing our line like OSU was. 

I guess I’m Card’s number 1 fan. I’m really not, but there is a lot of ridiculous making up of some bs. All that said, while watching, I’m not sure I ever thought put Card in the game.

Sark did say earlier this year he was basically going to ride with QE so it should be no surprise that’s what he did.

I would say in retrospect it is unlikely Card would have been less productive in that 2nd half. In part because our 3 points were after a 5 yard drive with runs on 1st and 2nd. A number of us, but not all, on this website could have produced those points.

Tech on the road and OSU on the road are pretty comparable. And there were some similarities too. Productive 1st halves and not so much 2nd halves. Our offense was easily more efficient versus Tech in each half respectively. Pass protection was not markedly different. The run game was quite a bit more productive versus OSU. The defense and special teams created more opportunities against OSU - 3 possessions started in OSU Territory and 2 at our 48. Against Tech we had 1 in Tech territory and the ball was never in Cards hands. We had 8 fewer possessions, 2 fewer start in our opponents territory and not to mention we started at our own 1 once versus Tech. Yet we scored just as many points. And somehow some are convinced that Cards performance over a year ago is more relevant. Come on.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

I guess I’m Card’s number 1 fan. I’m really not, but there is a lot of ridiculous making up of some bs. All that said, while watching, I’m not sure I ever thought put Card in the game.

Sark did say earlier this year he was basically going to ride with QE so it should be no surprise that’s what he did.

I would say in retrospect it is unlikely Card would have been less productive in that 2nd half. In part because our 3 points were after a 5 yard drive with runs on 1st and 2nd. A number of us, but not all, on this website could have produced those points.

Tech on the road and OSU on the road are pretty comparable. And there were some similarities too. Productive 1st halves and not so much 2nd halves. Our offense was easily more efficient versus Tech in each half respectively. Pass protection was not markedly different. The run game was quite a bit more productive versus OSU. The defense and special teams created more opportunities against OSU - 3 possessions started in OSU Territory and 2 at our 48. Against Tech we had 1 in Tech territory and the ball was never in Cards hands. We had 8 fewer possessions, 2 fewer start in our opponents territory and not to mention we started at our own 1 once versus Tech. Yet we scored just as many points. And somehow some are convinced that Cards performance over a year ago is more relevant. Come on.

Tech is not OSU. What are we doing here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

I'm as big of Quin fan as there is,  been watching him since HS.  But all of those 30 incompletions weren't because of pressure,  Quin was having a bad day,  a real bad day.  

Sark should have pulled him for at least a couple of series,  it couldn't have been worse

Like I said to Cman, in the second half there was a lot of stuff that happened that wasn't about QE. But if you pull Quinn then you start a QB controversy whether you want to or not. You also further hurt the confidence of your player. Jmo

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

I would disagree on pass protection. I thought this was far and away the worst pass pro Texas has played this year, which is still better than last year. Card was 3 -9 with 14 yards in the second half vs Tech, prior to the facing prevent defense on the last drive. That is not in the same conditions. I think the more pressing issue is Sark figuring out that people are using his big play hunting against him. Targeting plays down field in 20-30 mph winds is not going to be efficient. Would like to see a little more short and medium change plays, maybe dust off his west coast back ground and use more of it. I would like to see him game plan a little more of Sanders vs Big 12 LBs between the has marks. Quinn has a great arm, but one thing that stood out vs OSU and the conditions was how much Texas was attacking outside the numbers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's just as disingenuous to put it all on Ewers. Runs for 50 yards and a holding call brings it back. Hits worthy for a TD and he falls. Other stupid penalties putting us behind the chains. Auburn missing a kick. Sanders letting the pass go through his hands for the interception. The list goes on. 

Now as far as Card goes, we don't know if he has settled down vs aggressive pass rushes until we see him vs one. Bama wasn't abusing our line like OSU was. 

I'm not putting it all on Ewers -- and I don't think any of us (the majority, anyways) are doing that. Our point is simply that Ewers is not at the level of Bryce Young or CJ Stroud as one of those QB's that are ride-or-die in this point of their careers. This was his first true road start. This was his fourth collegiate start period. If/when he struggled, there is definitely reason to pull him and try something else for hot minute to see if we could find a spark with a different player. That's all.

I do find it interesting to see how much bending over backwards you're doing to defend the decision to keep Ewers in the game this past Saturday.

Tech is not OSU. What are we doing here. 

Tell me how they’re different. But support that shit in some form or fashion rather than fabricated bullshit. We’re talking game flow, environment, and relative defenses.

They are comparable. Their fan bases similar. Their stadiums comparable. Lubbock is windy. They have similar athletes. Tech led at OSU late into the 3rd. Tech outgained them 100 yards. Brock Martin played and dominated the stat sheet while not playing against us. Both crowds are and will be full of piss and vinegar when we come to town. But it’s probably more Techs Super Bowl than it is OSUs. They are both Big 12 and know us well.

Against us, we threw 30 passes versus Tech. They had 14 pressures. OSU had 15 pressures in 49 pass attempts. 1 sack each. In my subjective opinion both OSU and Tech created more pressure in half 2 than the first. Only CMU was better in QB pressures to attempts versus OSU than us.

Of OSUs 4 Big 12 games, only Baylor got less than 500 yards at 457. Only Baylor had fewer than 31 points.

Tech has given up 500 yards to no one this season. OSU 4 times. I realize there are tons of metrics out there

Tech has used multiple QBs. OSU has not but had they their record would be worse than Techs in all probability.

On the season Tech has 129 pressures, 21 sacks, 21 hits. OSU 139, 17, 28.

This is not the OSU from last year. Different Tech too. So yeah comparable.

I would disagree on pass protection. I thought this was far and away the worst pass pro Texas has played this year, which is still better than last year. Card was 3 -9 with 14 yards in the second half vs Tech, prior to the facing prevent defense on the last drive. That is not in the same conditions. I think the more pressing issue is Sark figuring out that people are using his big play hunting against him. Targeting plays down field in 20-30 mph winds is not going to be efficient. Would like to see a little more short and medium change plays, maybe dust off his west coast back ground and use more of it. I would like to see him game plan a little more of Sanders vs Big 12 LBs between the has marks. Quinn has a great arm, but one thing that stood out vs OSU and the conditions was how much Texas was attacking outside the numbers. 

3-9 for 9 says something. At least 1 ball on Whittingtons hands that he didn’t. Another that some say he did catch. And in those limited dropbacks, there were at least 2 with complete whiffs on assignments. One was a sprint out. And another was a seemingly not so great adjustment by a WR but we’ll ignore that one.

Ewers chose to go down field. He chose to target Worthy so often. But that’s on the QB as to whom, when and how often guys are targeted. He had plenty open underneath. His mind just wasn’t processing. It happens to all QBs at times.

I wouldn’t say it was far and away the worst. Tech and WVU had some similarities. One of the worst in this game was Bijans screw up. The first half was fine outside of about 3 plays.

And in both games Sark didn’t use the screen/quick game arsenal to help with decision making, winds, pass rush, etc. that’s a common theme in our 2nd half collapses no matter who the QB is.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

3-9 for 9 says something. At least 1 ball on Whittingtons hands that he didn’t. Another that some say he did catch. And in those limited dropbacks, there were at least 2 with complete whiffs on assignments. One was a sprint out. And another was a seemingly not so great adjustment by a WR but we’ll ignore that one.

Ewers chose to go down field. He chose to target Worthy so often. But that’s on the QB as to whom, when and how often guys are targeted. He had plenty open underneath. His mind just wasn’t processing. It happens to all QBs at times.

I wouldn’t say it was far and away the worst. Tech and WVU had some similarities. One of the worst in this game was Bijans screw up. The first half was fine outside of about 3 plays.

And in both games Sark didn’t use the screen/quick game arsenal to help with decision making, winds, pass rush, etc. that’s a common theme in our 2nd half collapses no matter who the QB is.

that one 3rd down was a total screw up. Helm was open for 30 yards on the backside and Whitt was open on an easy throw, but Card threw it way late. It was a bad play. 

WVU is probably the worst P5 defense in the country, so I am not even considering that as a data point, especially with the biggest  pass of the night going off a defender's hands for a TD

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

That was maybe the most frustrating thing last weekend. We could no longer run and OkSt was bringing tons of pressure. You'd think somebody with Sark's offensive pedigree would come up with a plan to counter the pressure -- quick slants, WR screens (the shit Gundy/Sanders were running) -- to ultimately re-open running lanes and the occasional deep ball.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That was maybe the most frustrating thing last weekend. We could no longer run and OkSt was bringing tons of pressure. You'd think somebody with Sark's offensive pedigree would come up with a plan to counter the pressure -- quick slants, WR screens (the shit Gundy/Sanders were running) -- to ultimately re-open running lanes and the occasional deep ball.

Guys were open, Quinn didn't see them or didn't have a chance to see or them accurately. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t have an issue with Sark’s decision to leave QE in the game.  I think he wanted to give him the chance to right himself and that would have been a good experience.  I think if he struggles again then it’s probably a good idea to pull him for a couple of series to see things from the sideline.  When you have a young inexperienced QB on the road you really need the oline to have a great game and it kinda helps if your star receiver puts in a little extra effort to help him out.  Oh, I don’t know like maybe he could reach for a ball above his head. 

• Hook 'Em 1

WVU is probably the worst P5 defense in the country, so I am not even considering that as a data point, especially with the biggest  pass of the night going off a defender's hands for a TD

That’s not the point. They got some pressure. Pretty sure OSUs pass defense was amongst the worst too. That doesn’t happen without reasons - not enough pressure, terrible coverage or some combo of both. I didn’t even say WVU was worth a shit or better than OSU or in the same league.

Conference opponents know each other better than noncon which means they know how to attack. Our pass pro has looked worse in part for that reason.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

That’s not the point. They got some pressure. Pretty sure OSUs pass defense was amongst the worst too. That doesn’t happen without reasons - not enough pressure, terrible coverage or some combo of both. I didn’t even say WVU was worth a shit or better than OSU or in the same league.

Conference opponents know each other better than noncon which means they know how to attack. Our pass pro has looked worse in part for that reason.

FEI: OSU #20 defense, WV #106

Pts per Drive: OSU 61s, WV 126th

Big 12

Yds/Att agaisnt: OSU #4, WV #10

Qb Rating against: OSU #4, WV #10

Those 2 defense are not comparable and not among the worst

Its match ups and conditions. Quinn has probably faced 2 of the best DCs in the Big 12 the last 2 weeks. This past week you have to throw in 20-30 mph cross winds also in that equation. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. In just a short time, we've seen Ewers do things Card could never dream of doing. But he was B-A-D on Saturday. And I disagree if Card comes in and leads us to a score or two and we hold on to win in Stillwater, there is no controversy. Period. Ewers will start next week and the week after and the week after (assuming no injury).

If his ego can't handle getting pulled for a series or two to see if the other guy could somehow create a spark, then he doesn't have what it takes to ultimately be successful here or in the NFL. The bottom line is Sark MUST start winning tough games, conference games on the road. Win Saturday and Texas is in GREAT shape to play for a conference title. Instead, all the same Sark tropes are in play -- 7-Win Steve, can't win Big 12 games on the road, another second-half collapse, etc. The goal is to win as many fucking games as you can, whichever way you can.

Simms-Applewhite says hi.

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Tell me how they’re different. But support that shit in some form or fashion rather than fabricated bullshit. We’re talking game flow, environment, and relative defenses.

They are comparable. Their fan bases similar. Their stadiums comparable. Lubbock is windy. They have similar athletes. Tech led at OSU late into the 3rd. Tech outgained them 100 yards. Brock Martin played and dominated the stat sheet while not playing against us. Both crowds are and will be full of piss and vinegar when we come to town. But it’s probably more Techs Super Bowl than it is OSUs. They are both Big 12 and know us well.

Against us, we threw 30 passes versus Tech. They had 14 pressures. OSU had 15 pressures in 49 pass attempts. 1 sack each. In my subjective opinion both OSU and Tech created more pressure in half 2 than the first. Only CMU was better in QB pressures to attempts versus OSU than us.

Of OSUs 4 Big 12 games, only Baylor got less than 500 yards at 457. Only Baylor had fewer than 31 points.

Tech has given up 500 yards to no one this season. OSU 4 times. I realize there are tons of metrics out there

Tech has used multiple QBs. OSU has not but had they their record would be worse than Techs in all probability.

On the season Tech has 129 pressures, 21 sacks, 21 hits. OSU 139, 17, 28.

This is not the OSU from last year. Different Tech too. So yeah comparable.

Like @Codaxx said, that's the worst pass pro we've played all year. Meaning that's the most legitimate pressure any Texas QB has been under this season. Real pressure. Not pat it a couple times waiting to get open and someone finally comes free. I mean, the guy never touched the dude or barely slowed him down and by the time QE hits his back foot the dude is a couple steps from you, kind of pressure. OSU has a legit D-line and the only loss they have is vs a team with a real athlete at QB. 

Ewers lost a fingernail on his throwing hand after the finger had been inadvertently slammed in a door early last week. After Saturday’s game, Ewers said the nail on his index finger on his throwing hand “got lifted off the nail bed” early last week as the reason for wearing a glove on his throwing hand in pre-game warmups.

When Sarkisian was asked if that could’ve affected Ewers’ performance, Sarkisian said, “I don’t think that contributed to it. He threw all week. He threw great. I don’t think that was the issue Saturday. The precision wasn’t right. Whether it was him, the receivers, the O-line - all of it tying together. And, ultimately, as a young player on the road, sometimes you can then start to play a little hesitant as opposed to just knowing. And that’s where we have to get to as a group. It’s not just him (Ewers). It’s as a group, when we go into a game that we know how these plays are going to go and how they’re going to work, predicated off of what we think we’re going to get.

“And then the responsibility of the quarterback, whoever it is, is to know when we don’t get those premier looks of what we’re looking for - where those secondary reads are, the second, third, fourth reads in the progression. So, those are things that we’re going to work on with him this week.”
Why is Quinn anywhere near a peasant hooptie? I thought all our players drive high end luxury marques with motorized soft close doors..

FEI: OSU #20 defense, WV #106
Pts per Drive: OSU 61s, WV 126th
Big 12
Yds/Att agaisnt: OSU #4, WV #10
Qb Rating against: OSU #4, WV #10
Those 2 defense are not comparable and not among the worst

Its match ups and conditions. Quinn has probably faced 2 of the best DCs in the Big 12 the last 2 weeks. This past week you have to throw in 20-30 mph cross winds also in that equation. 

Since I said Tech (not West Virginia) was the comp, I’d use them.

I’m curious how that’d look.

Like [mention=6656]Codaxx[/mention] said, that's the worst pass pro we've played all year. Meaning that's the most legitimate pressure any Texas QB has been under this season. Real pressure. Not pat it a couple times waiting to get open and someone finally comes free. I mean, the guy never touched the dude or barely slowed him down and by the time QE hits his back foot the dude is a couple steps from you, kind of pressure. OSU has a legit D-line and the only loss they have is vs a team with a real athlete at QB. 
I agree they have a legit D-line, but more legit than Bama? I think one or more of our O-line are likely playing through minor injuries..bye week coming a week earlier might have helped immensely.

you said OSU pass defense was one of the worst. I put those stats in there to reference that. 

It may not have been adjusted, and it was before playing Texas but there was reference to OSU giving up amongst the most passing yards in the entire country.

So when you give me some stats after playing Texas in which they gave up less than 2 points per possession and 19-49 with 3 picks, then I’d expect vast improvement. That OSU defense did not play that well however.

Fine WVU sucks. Guess we shoulda rushed for more than 3.4 yards per carry.

This a really interesting thread.  We don't have a QB controversy at Texas,  but this thread is the blueprint for how to get a QB controversy.  

Last year,  and when Card took over this year,  the takes were Card is bad because he is to slow processing information.  Many said he had plenty of time to throw but just couldn't make the reads,  and the O'line wasn't really that bad and they were making progress. 

Fast forward to this year and a QB that has never started a game is inconsistent and then has a really bad game is defended by folks that say the O'line doesn't give him time he should have been left in because hit would hurt his ego.  

People pretty much see what they want to see. I see Quin is the best QB we have had in a long time,  but should have been taken out at some point last Saturday. 

Good message board stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

This a really interesting thread.  We don't have a QB controversy at Texas,  but this thread is the blueprint for how to get a QB controversy.  

Last year,  and when Card took over this year,  the takes were Card is bad because he is to slow processing information.  Many said he had plenty of time to throw but just couldn't make the reads,  and the O'line wasn't really that bad and they were making progress. 

Fast forward to this year and a QB that has never started a game is inconsistent and then has a really bad game is defended by folks that say the O'line doesn't give him time he should have been left in because hit would hurt his ego.  

People pretty much see what they want to see. I see Quin is the best QB we have had in a long time,  but should have been taken out at some point last Saturday. 

Good message board stuff. 

Quinn Ewers didn't lose on Saturday the entire team did. That team is led by sarklostagain not Quinn Ewers. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laga4 said:

I'm as big of Quin fan as there is,  been watching him since HS.  But all of those 30 incompletions weren't because of pressure,  Quin was having a bad day,  a real bad day.  

Sark should have pulled him for at least a couple of series,  it couldn't have been worse

I wanted to see Quinn play through it and turn it around. Obviously he didn't.

I wouldn't have liked putting Card in, but I would have understood.

Ewers couldn't even take a snap there for a bit. He was disoriented and out of synch like I have rarely seen.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I wanted to see Quinn play through it and turn it around. Obviously he didn't.
I wouldn't have liked putting Card in, but I would have understood.
Ewers couldn't even take a snap there for a bit. He was disoriented and out of synch like I have rarely seen.

Well there is that hardest position in all of sports thing. Then you’ve got the 5 whole starts thing. Then there’s the flawed team consideration. And you know the other guy (team) does some good stuff from time to time too.

But the other day had some oddities too. QE was locking on one guy. He was inaccurate. It wasn’t just Worthy that wasn’t adjusting/seeing the ball either.

We should have won. We just should have won.

55 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

There is no QB controversy. There is only substitution controversy. Nobody takes the position that Card is better, should have started the game, should takeover going forward, etc. 

There is only the position that QE was demonstrably not playing well, over and over again, and therefore it would have been worth subbing Card in to see if the offense could have moved differently to try to win the game.  The O was already so bad, it was unlikely to get worse. 

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

There is no QB controversy. There is only substitution controversy. Nobody takes the position that Card is better, should have started the game, should takeover going forward, etc. 

There is only the position that QE was demonstrably not playing well, over and over again, and therefore it would have been worth subbing Card in to see if the offense could have moved differently to try to win the game.  The O was already so bad, it was unlikely to get worse. 

Agree. I thought the goal was to win the game and improve chances to get into the Big 12 Championship. If your starter is off, give him a break to reset. One of my concerns is Sark being OC and not focusing totally on being a HC. No disrespect but what would Saban have done in a situation like this? He probably would have replaced him for 2 or 3 series at least. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anwar with an injury note on Ewers (describes our luck perfectly the last 13 years that the dude gets his hand slammed in a door)

Spoiler

Texas redshirt freshman Quinn Ewers was battling another injury this season.

Ewers previously sustained two sprains at his clavicle during a loss against Alabama and missed three games before returning to face Oklahoma. He completed 21-of-31 passes for 289 yards and four touchdowns and established career highs for completions, attempts, passing yards, and touchdowns. Ewers was not at 100 percent during the game (I was told he was at 75 percent) but healthy enough to lead his team to a 49-0 victory.

After a solid performance during a win against Iowa State, Ewers struggled during a loss against Oklahoma State. Ewers completed 19 of 49 passes for 319 yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions (39 percent completions).

Before the game, Ewers tried warming up with a glove but did not wear it during the contest. After the game, Ewers revealed he had an injury that could have affected his performance against Oklahoma State.

“Earlier in the week, my nail on my pointer finger lifted off the nailbed. But it wasn’t nothing crazy,” Ewers said after the game. “I don’t like to make excuses. So, for myself, this just shows I need to practice better. Practice habits turn into game habits. Coming into this game I thought I had a pretty good week of practice, but obviously, it wasn’t the right way to practice.”

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian downplayed Ewers’ injury when asked about it on Monday. However, it appears the injury may have affected Ewers more than anyone is willing.

According to my sources, Ewers was in more pain during the Oklahoma State loss than anyone involved is willing to admit in public. I was told Ewers experienced pain each time he attempted to throw a pass but tried to play through it.

Ewers participated in practice this week and I was told his finger is improving. I was told Ewers wanted to push through the injury and participate in practice before resting during the bye week. The hope from everyone associated with the program is Ewers’ finger is close to 100 percent when Texas travels to face Kansas State on November 5.

We will keep you posted.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Agree. I thought the goal was to win the game and improve chances to get into the Big 12 Championship. If your starter is off, give him a break to reset. One of my concerns is Sark being OC and not focusing totally on being a HC. No disrespect but what would Saban have done in a situation like this? He probably would have replaced him for 2 or 3 series at least. 

I guess I don’t understand this line of thinking. As a playcalling HC, he is more in tocuh than anyone on the personnel/decisions on his side of the ball. On a decision as big as switching QB’s the OC is just as involved as the HC. The line of thinking that if he was “focused on being a HC” he would have pulled him just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. He pulled his QB multiple times last year and I’m sure has done it before at previous stops.

Edited by Hookem2147

Man I hear what you are saying, but you have to work with what YOU have not an ideology. It's like if Bryce Young is having a rough day. Do you bring in Jalen Milroe? No. You know he is not capable of doing what you need done. With us we have a QB that is struggling because we can't block their D-line and its affecting him. So we bring in the guy who is worse when facing line pressure? Doesn't make sense at all. Did you see him last year vs Arkansas and did you see him last year vs ISU? This is his 3rd year in the program. We pretty much know what we have there. 
That comparison is so bad it’s not funny. Card has played better than last season. He’s still not great but at some point, you need to pull Ewers, if it’s only for a series to talk to him.
  Like I said to Cman, in the second half there was a lot of stuff that happened that wasn't about QE. But if you pull Quinn then you start a QB controversy whether you want to or not. You also further hurt the confidence of your player. Jmo

There’s no way that shakes Ewers if he’s the merc most believe he is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Anwar with an injury note on Ewers (describes our luck perfectly the last 13 years that the dude gets his hand slammed in a door)

Hide contents

Ewers previously sustained two sprains at his clavicle during a loss against Alabama and missed three games before returning to face Oklahoma. He completed 21-of-31 passes for 289 yards and four touchdowns and established career highs for completions, attempts, passing yards, and touchdowns. Ewers was not at 100 percent during the game (I was told he was at 75 percent) but healthy enough to lead his team to a 49-0 victory.

After a solid performance during a win against Iowa State, Ewers struggled during a loss against Oklahoma State. Ewers completed 19 of 49 passes for 319 yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions (39 percent completions).

Before the game, Ewers tried warming up with a glove but did not wear it during the contest. After the game, Ewers revealed he had an injury that could have affected his performance against Oklahoma State.

“Earlier in the week, my nail on my pointer finger lifted off the nailbed. But it wasn’t nothing crazy,” Ewers said after the game. “I don’t like to make excuses. So, for myself, this just shows I need to practice better. Practice habits turn into game habits. Coming into this game I thought I had a pretty good week of practice, but obviously, it wasn’t the right way to practice.”

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian downplayed Ewers’ injury when asked about it on Monday. However, it appears the injury may have affected Ewers more than anyone is willing.

According to my sources, Ewers was in more pain during the Oklahoma State loss than anyone involved is willing to admit in public. I was told Ewers experienced pain each time he attempted to throw a pass but tried to play through it.

Ewers participated in practice this week and I was told his finger is improving. I was told Ewers wanted to push through the injury and participate in practice before resting during the bye week. The hope from everyone associated with the program is Ewers’ finger is close to 100 percent when Texas travels to face Kansas State on November 5.

We will keep you posted.

If true, this is on Sark.

Card could have won us the game but to the coaching staff it was more important to keep Quinn in there. It sucks, but it is what it is. Card is gone after this year and Quinn is the future. I have no doubt that Quinn will lay many more ass whoopings similar to 49-0 but I think he is still getting used to campus life. 

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

We will keep you posted.

Anybody else annoyed it's taken five days for the story about Ewers' finger to become public? Did I just miss it somewhere? It was briefly mentioned by a poster above but I never saw it corroborated anywhere? The message boards have been dissecting Ewers' performance and wondering how he could've played so poorly when a simple, "Hey, Quinn was battling through a finger issue that I think effected him more than I'd hoped. He gutted it out for his teammates but we just didn't get it done."

This is kind of an indictment on Sark to know he was hurting, see that sub-par performance and not say have him sit down when it was obvious the injury was bothering him. Just tell Ewers "you're my guy but we need to get healthy" and play Card for a series or two.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Anybody else annoyed it's taken five days for the story about Ewers' finger to become public? Did I just miss it somewhere? It was briefly mentioned by a poster above but I never saw it corroborated anywhere? The message boards have been dissecting Ewers' performance and wondering how he could've played so poorly when a simple, "Hey, Quinn was battling through a finger issue that I think effected him more than I'd hoped. He gutted it out for his teammates but we just didn't get it done."

This is kind of an indictment on Sark to know he was hurting, see that sub-par performance and not say have him sit down when it was obvious the injury was bothering him. Just tell Ewers "you're my guy but we need to get healthy" and play Card for a series or two.

apparently, it's okay for coach to let quinn hurt his hand, but not his ego

19 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I think Card is a very average QB.  However, I'm not sure why we don't take his obvious injury into the equation like we do for Quinn?  Card has obviously been hurt.  I'm guessing Steve doesn't really trust him which is a shame tbh.

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet