Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s 2 years in a row now that our team has not only failed to improve as the season goes on, but we’ve actually gotten worse. Sark draws up good game plans, and Flood seems to be doing a good job developing the OL. Other than that, it’s hard to find any signs of good coaching on this team 2 years running. 

I don't agree with this. The run defense is lightyears better than last year. The secondary outside the top 5 DBs is atrocious. Edge rusher is a glaring hole that rears its ugly head quite frequently but they are still better than last year. There is significant improvement across the board compared to last year. This is an incredibly young team on offense and the defense is severely lacking in talented playmakers.

• Hook 'Em 9

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I don't agree with this. The run defense is lightyears better than last year. The secondary outside the top 5 DBs is atrocious. Edge rusher is a glaring hole that rears its ugly head quite frequently but they are still better than last year. There is significant improvement across the board compared to last year. This is an incredibly young team on offense and the defense is severely lacking in talented playmakers.

You should probably try reading the post again. I didn’t say we haven’t improved from last year, which is a hilariously low bar created by Sark’s ineptitude as a coach in 2021. I said we haven’t improved as the season goes on two years in a row. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You should probably try reading the post again. I didn’t say we haven’t improved from last year, which is a hilariously low bar created by Sark’s ineptitude as a coach in 2021. I said we haven’t improved as the season goes on two years in a row. 

Our run game has improved IMHO, no need to be such a dick, you may proceed though, I'll go back to my hole.

22 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I agree with this. We're not 5-7 (gulp) yet. I still think this team can get to 7-5 or maybe 8-4 if Ewers isn't completely broken.

Quinn Ewers, QB

When asked why he wore a glove during pre-game: “Early in the week I had my nail on my pointer-finger kind of lifted off the nail bed, but you know, obviously nothing crazy. It didn’t affect my throws. No excuses.”

I mean, for myself, I think this shows that I could practice better. Because that’s what it boils down to; practice habits turn into game habits. And you know, I think Coach Sark does a great job on his practice schedule and what-not. And, you know, he’ll do whatever it takes. Yeah, overall, I think I just need to practice better and execute better on the field.”

It is probably just playerspeak when asked about why the team lost, but still interesting.  It could explain why they looked out of sync, if they hadn't put in enough work to understand what they were expecting the Ok State defense to do and what the gameplan/reads were.

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I believe I'da said "not nearly", but...

Yes, he had a bad game, followed by a worse one. I don't think many people want to dump him. For me, I want to see a play caller use him better. And if that means pulling him out of the game at least for a series while we figure out wtf is wrong, that seems like a better coaching move... you know, as opposed to putting Quinn out there again and again and again to see if he got it back yet.

Some coaches don't hesitate to put the backup in and others do. We all know which category Sark falls into. He waited till the Arkansas game was completely out of our reach before puttomg Casey in while Card struggled as bad as any QB as I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, Yesh said:

Quinn Ewers, QB

When asked why he wore a glove during pre-game: “Early in the week I had my nail on my pointer-finger kind of lifted off the nail bed, but you know, obviously nothing crazy. It didn’t affect my throws. No excuses.”

I mean, for myself, I think this shows that I could practice better. Because that’s what it boils down to; practice habits turn into game habits. And you know, I think Coach Sark does a great job on his practice schedule and what-not. And, you know, he’ll do whatever it takes. Yeah, overall, I think I just need to practice better and execute better on the field.”

It is probably just playerspeak when asked about why the team lost, but still interesting.  It could explain why they looked out of sync, if they hadn't put in enough work to understand what they were expecting the Ok State defense to do and what the gameplan/reads were.

terrell owens images GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I do not know that is a Quinn thing or WR thing

I'm guessing the answer is some of both. I thought that Ewers actually got his shit together a bit and played better in the 4th quarter, but by that point our pass targets had lost confidence/were all out of sorts themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

Bored at work and was curious how Quinn's first five games of action compared to other top college QBs. I think these are fairly accurate :):

Quinn: 82-142 (57%); 1,139 yards, 11 TDs, 5 INTs (ULM, Alabama, ou, Iowa State, Oklahoma State (a) 

Caleb Williams: 77-108 (71%); 1,171 yards, 14 TDs, 1 INT (Western Carolina, Texas, TCU, Kansas (a), Texas Tech) (First road game: 15-20, 178, 2/1)

Bryce Young: 108-148 (73%); 1,365 yards, 17 TDs, 2 INTs (Games vs: Miami, Mercer, Florida (a), Souther Miss, Ole Miss) (First Road game: 22-35, 240, 3/0)

CJ Stroud: 104-161 (65%); 1,699 yards, 21 TDs, 3 INTs (Minnesota (a), Oregon, Tulsa, Rutgers (a), Maryland) (First Road game: 13-22, 294, 4/1)

I know a lot of factors go into those numbers. Ohio State and Bama had some of the best WR rooms in the country, hell some of the best all time. Their offensive lines were great too. I think the biggest difference for Texas is the offensive line. VERY young and inexperienced. Let's just hope Quinn doesn't continue what happened against Okie State. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Win. THIS. Game.

This times a million. I don't understand people turning this into a discussion on Card's limitations or why Ewers is still the guy going forward. No shit he is. That doesn't mean he was our best option to win the game in front of us on Saturday. I figured since we beat oU 49-0 we wouldn't punt this season away to get a 19 year old reps at QB but it sure seems like that was the gameplan on Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This times a million. I don't understand people turning this into a discussion on Card's limitations or why Ewers is still the guy going forward. No shit he is. That doesn't mean he was our best option to win the game in front of us on Saturday. I figured since we beat oU 49-0 we wouldn't punt this season away to get a 19 year old reps at QB but it sure seems like that was the gameplan on Saturday. 

Ewers was definitely struggling in the second half save the last two drives. That’s not in dispute. Like a lot of people, I thought they’d put in Card for a few series to give Ewers a chance to regroup and maybe get a bit of a spark. I never nor have most people thought Card would replace Ewers. Ewers is the starter. Even when Ewers was legit hurt people were negative about Card and freaking about him sim doing his job while Ewers was out. Ewers is the guy barring injury. Card is the backup. Sometimes a backup can come in and make a difference. Especially when the starter is struggling and I never thought there’d be a controversy. I just wanted to win the game.

winning the game was what matters. I’ve only ever heard Ewers doesn’t get rattled so why if he’s having significant trouble would removing him from the game for a few series when he is clearly struggling to throw or even get a snap, would that hurt his confidence or set him back? All I’ve heard is that he’s cool as a cucumber from players and posters. So if he can’t hit the broadside of a barn for basically a quarter and a half he’s going to regress and lose confidence if the game plan adjusted to let Card play a few series just to give Ewers a chance to regroup? The amount of hate for Card simply being a good soldier is staggering. Lots of criticism for Worthy as well. 

I just know that the vast majority of the loss is on Sark and my opinion counts for jackshit but the loss is on him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, immamac said:

Yeah something is wrong with the coach and player relationship right now. 

I think Ewers threw the ball too many times and that's on play calling. 0 yards on an incompletion is infinitely worse than 2-3 yards on a run. 

When you get behind the chains with penalties you are going to have to throw it. Same with getting behind late in the game. I think he threw it 15 more times in the last couple series of the game. There were some opportunities to run it more, like when Bijan got them 3 and it was 2nd and 7 before the throw to Worthy in the EZ, but largely it was due to the 14 penalties. 

6 hours ago, Codaxx said:

People want to rewrite history. I have seen Card's lows and his highs. I have now seen Quinn's lows and highs. I have no desire to go back to Card. There could be some more ugly moments, but I dont think there is a really a choice. 

People forget how inaccurate Card is. The throw from Quinn to Bijan was perfectly in stride, which is why he scored. If Card throws that same ball Bijan has to stop to get it and is tackled. Hitting a player in stride is how you get yac. Card seemingly never does that, and as bad as Ewers was yesterday he still dropped a couple money balls on them that Card wouldn't, and that's not disrespecting Card. 

What I saw was a few things. Two of Ewers' incompletions were tipped at the line. Eight of them were rushed due to a free blitzer. If we go back and watch the receivers they were dogging it quite a bit. Were the throws high? Yes. However, no one was jumping and reaching for the ball. They just let it go by them and shrugged their shoulders. Worthy was the most egregious offender. Quinn has a sidearm release. Those tend to sail on you in stronger winds. Add to that the fact that Quinn throws a lot of touch passes and that's a lot of the reason he was inaccurate. 

Lastly, our receivers don't seem to understand someone throwing them open. Quinn got sped up by the rush so he was letting it fly early. However, if you notice his balls were still going to the proper side where the defense wasn't. 

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

People forget how inaccurate Card is. The throw from Quinn to Bijan was perfectly in stride, which is why he scored. If Card throws that same ball Bijan has to stop to get it and is tackled. Hitting a player in stride is how you get yac. Card seemingly never does that, and as bad as Ewers was yesterday he still dropped a couple money balls on them that Card wouldn't, and that's not disrespecting Card. 

Who is advocating that Card started the game on Saturday? Has anyone here said that? The argument is that he should have played at least a series in the 2nd half if not finished the game. What does Quinn throwing a nice ball in the 2Q have to do with that? 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

People forget how inaccurate Card is.

Ewers had 30 incompletions on Saturday. You can slice, dice, blame WRs, coaching, wind, fingernails, or anything else. Doesn't matter. That is an abysmal number and is indicative of how bad Ewers was. He was atrocious and should have been sitting in the 3Q.

Card would have won the game Saturday had he been put in the game. If you deny that then you're delusional. Card is more than serviceable, he's good. And on Saturday he would have at least put the ball in the same zip code as intended receivers.

At the end of the day this is less about the two QBs and more about Sarkisian. For whatever reason, he chose to continue playing a QB in the 2H who was simply terrible. And in doing so, he sacrificed the good of the team for a player who had no business being on the field. 

That's the bigger reason for concern.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Sark did Ewers a huge disservice Saturday. He was drowning out there. Pull him for a couple of series in the middle of the 3rd and let him stand beside you and watch that defense. If Card is making plays stay with him. If not put Ewers back in hopefully with some new perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Ewers had 30 incompletions on Saturday. You can slice, dice, blame WRs, coaching, wind, fingernails, or anything else. Doesn't matter. That is an abysmal number and is indicative of how bad Ewers was. He was atrocious and should have been sitting in the 3Q.

Card would have won the game Saturday had he been put in the game. If you deny that then you're delusional. Card is more than serviceable, he's good. And on Saturday he would have at least put the ball in the same zip code as intended receivers.

At the end of the day this is less about the two QBs and more about Sarkisian. For whatever reason, he chose to continue playing a QB in the 2H who was simply terrible. And in doing so, he sacrificed the good of the team for a player who had no business being on the field. 

That's the bigger reason for concern.

I think this is pure projection. We have no idea if Card could come in a game with pressure facing a decent pass rush and win. It is possible, history says it is unlikely. Some of the issue is people remember Card’s last game vs one of the worst defenses in the country and pretend that is the Card that would have shown up Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

What I saw was a few things. Two of Ewers' incompletions were tipped at the line. Eight of them were rushed due to a free blitzer. If we go back and watch the receivers they were dogging it quite a bit. Were the throws high? Yes. However, no one was jumping and reaching for the ball. They just let it go by them and shrugged their shoulders. Worthy was the most egregious offender. Quinn has a sidearm release. Those tend to sail on you in stronger winds. Add to that the fact that Quinn throws a lot of touch passes and that's a lot of the reason he was inaccurate. 

Lastly, our receivers don't seem to understand someone throwing them open. Quinn got sped up by the rush so he was letting it fly early. However, if you notice his balls were still going to the proper side where the defense wasn't. 

Now explain the ridiculous moonballs he was throwing up. And as @ztejas said NOBODY is advocating that Card should've started and I can't say with any certainty that we win the game if he came on for Ewers. I just know that SOMETHING should've been attempted as Ewers was that bad.

27 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Sark did Ewers a huge disservice Saturday. He was drowning out there. Pull him for a couple of series in the middle of the 3rd and let him stand beside you and watch that defense. If Card is making plays stay with him. If not put Ewers back in hopefully with some new perspective. 

Perfectly said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They just let it go by them and shrugged their shoulders. Worthy was the most egregious offender.

I do feel like there is some effort lacking from Worthy at times this season.  There are times of amazing effort - like against 'Bama - but he also seems pretty quick to give up on some plays.  Hopefully that is not a trend. 

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think this is pure projection. We have no idea if Card could come in a game with pressure facing a decent pass rush and win. It is possible, history says it is unlikely. Some of the issue is people remember Card’s last game vs one of the worst defenses in the country and pretend that is the Card that would have shown up Saturday. 

What we do know is that Ewers didn't show up Saturday. So you opt to keep a player in the game that is inept, on that day, vs. someone who has at least proven he has the ability to win games? Card isn't a spare. He would have given us a much better chance of winning the game than a QB that was flat out terrible. 

I've no allegiance to Card of any sort. I do have a vested interest in Texas football. And that was an abject failure on the part of Sarkisian to continue relying on Ewers Saturday. There is no other way to paint it and it sucks. I really want Sarkisian to succeed but that decision making on his part, of lack thereof, was simply abysmal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

What we do know is that Ewers didn't show up Saturday. So you opt to keep a player in the game that is inept, on that day, vs. someone who has at least proven he has the ability to win games? Card isn't a spare. He would have given us a much better chance of winning the game than a QB that was flat out terrible. 

I've no allegiance to Card of any sort. I do have a vested interest in Texas football. And that was an abject failure on the part of Sarkisian to continue relying on Ewers Saturday. There is no other way to paint it and it sucks. I really want Sarkisian to succeed but that decision making on his part, of lack thereof, was simply abysmal.

I stand by what I said. There is nothing in Card’s past that says he could come in and win a game vs a quality opponent. I know you want to believe that it was a simple decision that could have made you happy this weekend, but I don’t see it. I have seen Ewers and Card play the same defense once. Ewers put up 10 pts in 2 drives. Card 9 in 9 drives. We have seen the highs and lows for Card and Ewers.  I am sticking with the younger and more talented player. Worthy was terrible on Saturday. You don’t bench him, because you know he is just better than his back-up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

I do feel like there is some effort lacking from Worthy at times this season.  There are times of amazing effort - like against 'Bama - but he also seems pretty quick to give up on some plays.  Hopefully that is not a trend. 

Worthy gets bracketed a lot and it shows with his body language even when he’s targeted and doesn’t make the catch.   Walks to the sideline with his head down.  

When he does break free downfield he can’t seems to track the ball.   The end zone play is not the first one this year where he ran or stumbled away from the ball flight.   I don’t think I’ve seen a quality D1 receiver ever having this kind of trouble downfield.    Some may drop it but worthy being unable to track and adjust to the ball flight is simply bizarre.  Huge regression from last year and I question what the hell he is working on in practice or if there other other off the field factors that are causing his play to degrade.   

Either way, he’s costing himself huge money in both 2023 NIL leverage and future draft position.   Scouts can see this shit - same as we can.  

Edited by Knighthawk
Mispelling
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 sailed passes. Most by any Longhorn QB ever.

Quinn was either hurt, doped up from being hurt, or didnt sleep a few nights before the game. Im pretty sure the WRs maybe could be blamed for like 10-15% of the passing game woes, but im re-watching it now, and it sure looks like the onus is on Quinn/Sark

what the fuck kinda deal with the devil did Sark make with Quinn to keep him in the game? Did he promise Quinn in the spring that if he came here, he would never get pulled? Was Card hurt? Because there is ZERO excuse for keeping Quinn in at the end of the 3rd quarter

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Posted this in the game thread, these guys are so used to having to be wide open before the qb throws the ball it's just sad.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Here are 10 of the 30 incompletions. I don't have time to do all of them, but take a look at these. 

1- Quinn drops back to throw and a D-lineman bats the ball down

2- Quinn drops back and a rusher comes completely untouched so he throws it before he is ready. Despite that the ball lands on the 23 and 3/4 yard line and Worthy is on the 25. Not even 2 yards from him and he can't bring himself to jump or dive for it. 

3- At the snap of the ball the DE goes straight for QE completely untouched. Ewers has to throw it now or get sacked. Bijan isn't looking. 

4- At the snap a rusher comes untouched straight up the middle and Ewers has to let it go immediately or get blown up. Bijan missed his assignment. 

5- Sanders? gets whipped, barely getting a hand on the guy and Ewers has to throw it away. 

6- At the snap Christian Jones gets put flat on his back and the DE dives at Ewers feet. Ewers just puts it up. Once again Worthy makes no effort to come back to a ball that was thrown with air under it. Watch Sanders reaction. 

7-  Banks gets smoked on a speed rush and Ewers throws it quicker than he wanted, though it still hit Bijan in the hands. 

8-  Clean pocket Ewers gets the ball batted down by the line.

9- Cole Hutson gets whipped immediately and Ewers has to throw it away

10- Twist up front and rusher gets home untouched. Ewers throws it away. 

One thing we learned about Card is he doesn't handle pressure like this well. Ewers doesn't hold the ball and that's the only reason he isn't hurt. Card in this situation is more likely to hold the ball and thus take a lot of sacks, maybe even fumbling it. QE wasn't his best, but we didn't help him by whiffing on blocks and not making an effort to catch the football. If you didn't notice guys were sitting on the shorter routes because they knew he needed to get it out quick. The intermediate routes were open, but the pressure he was getting was pretty quick. If you think QE is your guy you don't pull him and have him looking over his shoulder when he plays. You do that and he plays tight, not wanting to make a mistake. You show him its ok to have a bad game and he doesn't have to worry about the hook. Despite all that he was still marching the field until the Sanders thing happened. 

Card gets sacked at least 5 times

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

if ewers just had a normal game, not even a good game, we win like 45-20. 

He had one of the worst games in history and the game was ours to lose even till the end lol. Crazy. This team is almost there. Not saying sarks the guy or not but they are so close.

Next year we won’t have 2 stud RB’s to bail them out though. Granted, we got a snippet of that in the second half last week.

6 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

He had one of the worst games in history and the game was ours to lose even till the end lol. Crazy. This team is almost there. Not saying sarks the guy or not but they are so close.

Next year we won’t have 2 stud RB’s to bail them out though. Granted, we got a snippet of that in the second half last week.

What you aren’t factoring in is next year our team gets better and all of the other teams we play get worse.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

one of the worst games in history huh?

17 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Our RB room will be fine next year. It's the defense that will need a talent infusion at all levels.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You remember many 19 for 49 games in our history?

he didn't say our history for one and he did have 2 tds on great decisions/throws and several throw aways that Card would have taken for sacks and how many that receivers didn't even fucking try. There have been a fucking boatload of worse games in our history.

Here are 10 of the 30 incompletions. I don't have time to do all of them, but take a look at these. 

2- Quinn drops back and a rusher comes completely untouched so he throws it before he is ready. Despite that the ball lands on the 23 and 3/4 yard line and Worthy is on the 25. Not even 2 yards from him and he can't bring himself to jump or dive for it. Pause it when it lands and look. 

3- At the snap of the ball the DE goes straight for QE completely untouched. Ewers has to throw it now or get sacked. Bijan isn't looking. 

4- At the snap a rusher comes untouched straight up the middle and Ewers has to let it go immediately or get blown up. Bijan missed his assignment. 

5- Sanders? gets whipped, barely getting a hand on the guy and Ewers has to throw it away. 

6- At the snap Christian Jones gets put flat on his back and the DE dives at Ewers feet. Ewers just puts it up. Once again Worthy makes no effort to come back to a ball that was thrown with air under it. Watch Sanders reaction. 

7-  Banks gets smoked on a speed rush and Ewers throws it quicker than he wanted, though it still hit Bijan in the hands. 

One thing we learned about Card is he doesn't handle pressure like this well. Ewers doesn't hold the ball and that's the only reason he isn't hurt. Card in this situation is more likely to hold the ball and thus take a lot of sacks, maybe even fumbling it. QE wasn't his best, but we didn't help him by whiffing on blocks and not making an effort to catch the football. If you didn't notice guys were sitting on the shorter routes because they knew he needed to get it out quick. The intermediate routes were open, but the pressure he was getting was pretty quick. If you think QE is your guy you don't pull him and have him looking over his shoulder when he plays. You do that and he plays tight, not wanting to make a mistake. You show him its ok to have a bad game and he doesn't have to worry about the hook. Despite all that he was still marching the field until the Sanders thing happened. 

Thank you for posting those clips. I gotta tell you, I’ve seen intramural flag football players give better effort than Worthy did on two of those balls.  Ewers made decent throws that Worthy should have left his feet to catch.  Maybe Worthy needs contacts lenses or LASIK.  He’s not tracking the ball well at all.  At least three balls to Worthy on Saturday that a playmaker gets his hands on (one not included in video).  Then the last ball to Sanders was a freaking dime and he muffs it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Thatguy said:

2- Quinn drops back and a rusher comes completely untouched so he throws it before he is ready. Despite that the ball lands on the 23 and 3/4 yard line and Worthy is on the 25. Not even 2 yards from him and he can't bring himself to jump or dive for it. Pause it when it lands and look. 

Thanks for this. I hadn't realized how bad our OL played, giving up pressure after pressure. I gotta admit many of those would be sacks if Card had been playing, and this is from someone who wanted Sark to put Card in to change things up.

Can't remember which game it was where JMoore stretched out in the EZ to catch a TD pass from Sam. That pass was probably further away from JMoore than the pass to Worthy. Sam had some great receiving help even though he couldn't hit them in stride.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It isnt the simple poor decisions. It the ball trhown outside and Wr going in side. The was one play 2 Longhorns ended up about 3 yards apart from each other. It looked like the first day on install

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, and the fact it happened with different wideouts seems to point to the problem being with Quinn moreso than the receivers.

11 hours ago, Codaxx said:

there were a few times Marion grabbed players as they came off the field, which led me to believe it was a bigger issue. 

/tinfoil hat

after it happened 4 times, my first speculation was that the labels on the giant cards they hold up to call plays had been....  compromised.....

maybe accidentally....  maybe not.... maybe go fuck myself

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s 2 years in a row now that our team has not only failed to improve as the season goes on, but we’ve actually gotten worse. Sark draws up good game plans, and Flood seems to be doing a good job developing the OL. Other than that, it’s hard to find any signs of good coaching on this team 2 years running. 

special teams other than auburn are top 5 in the country - how many blocked kicks? - how many punts down inside the 10?

9 hours ago, Yesh said:

Quinn Ewers, QB

and the corollary is that oSu spent 0 prep on wounded ducks and had a 100% success rate defending them

Just rewatched the game, Quinn wasn't as bad as I thought he was but he was bad. He was under serious pressure the whole game and when he wasn't he thought he was. Worthy had two passes just barely over his head that he mad zero effort in catching. Sanders huge drop at the end was a fucking dime. Worthy tripping over himself on the deep corner route should have been 6 that resulted in 3. ROJO dropped a first down pass that resulted in a punt.  Whittington dropped a pass he usually catches.

The officiating: the hold on Jones where Quinn ran for 30 yards was complete bullshit. That was a pancake block. PA on Jamison was complete bullshit, that was hand check on the release. That is called football. The PA before the end of the first half on Barron was complete and utter bullshit. The receiver knew he didn't win the route, grabbed Barren and fell down pulling Barron to the ground on top of him. That was bush league. The offsides where the officials didn't allow Texas to substitute was unexplainable unless I missed the fact that OSU didn't substitute.

Worthy looked lazy out there. No effort to catch any of those balls.

Defense laid the wood all game and played hard. Screens and slants gutted the defensive backfield. They need to learn to play with inside leverage.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Card gets sacked at least 5 times

Or Card picks up big yards running for his life, because OSU didn't gameplan for a mobile QB.  Who knows?  But maybe at some point during SEVEN CONSECUTIVE drives of 4 plays or less, Sark could've given Card a chance?  If Ewers is as unflappable as everyone says he is, then he wouldn't be fazed by getting benched for a series or 3.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Just rewatched the game, Quinn wasn't as bad as I thought he was but he was bad. He was under serious pressure the whole game and when he wasn't he thought he was. Worthy had two passes just barely over his head that he mad zero effort in catching. Sanders huge drop at the end was a fucking dime. Worthy tripping over himself on the deep corner route should have been 6 that resulted in 3. ROJO dropped a first down pass that resulted in a punt.  Whittington dropped a pass he usually catches.

The officiating: the hold on Jones where Quinn ran for 30 yards was complete bullshit. That was a pancake block. PA on Jamison was complete bullshit, that was hand check on the release. That is called football. The PA before the end of the first half on Barron was complete and utter bullshit. The receiver knew he didn't win the route, grabbed Barren and fell down pulling Barron to the ground on top of him. That was bush league. The offsides where the officials didn't allow Texas to substitute was unexplainable unless I missed the fact that OSU didn't substitute.

Worthy looked lazy out there. No effort to catch any of those balls.

Defense laid the wood all game and played hard. Screens and slants gutted the defensive backfield. They need to learn to play with inside leverage.

The OL had a horrible 2nd half. Their 1st half wasn't great either. Banks and Jones both played their worst game of the year. It sped up Quinn's already shaky timing and things cascaded from there. Quinn missed multiple reads, but was rushed into a few of them. He could have helped his OL out by moving in the pocket better, but he'll get better at that with time. 

We should start a thread on Kitan Crawford though...he's probably one of the biggest reasons we lost that game. Can't trust that guy at safety at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Repeating the same non-excuses again. 

Getting the ball batted down is the QBs issue. Being pressured and not evading on the feet is QBs issue. Etc etc. 

Someone said we’ve seen both at their best and worst.  So what? Were we evaluating them for the draft or playing in the middle of a game were trying to win? 

At quinns worst — after 7 consecutive drives totalling ~24 plays — I wouldve been happy seeing charles fucking wright in there  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Repeating the same non-excuses again. 

Getting the ball batted down is the QBs issue. Being pressured and not evading on the feet is QBs issue. Etc etc. 

Someone said we’ve seen both at their best and worst.  So what? Were we evaluating them for the draft or playing in the middle of a game were trying to win? 

At quinns worst — after 7 consecutive drives totalling ~24 plays — I wouldve been happy seeing charles fucking wright in there  

Immediate pressure isn't the QBs fault. Inside pressure is the worst kind of pressure there is because there is nowhere to go in the pocket. Quinn was letting the ball go very quickly. Too quickly. Quinn had a rough game, but giving up these kinds of pressures is exactly how you get your QB rattled. If you don't know, a defensive lineman has to expose himself to get a hand free and jump up to bat down balls. They teach you how to handle that, though QE should use his eyes better. Watch Conner's body position and hands on the first play with the batted ball and tell me how he could've handled that better. On the second batted ball the entire O-line gets relocated 3 yards back from the LOS. We got completely whipped up front in this game, and that's the first time that's happened all season. And it was everyone. Banks got ran by. Jones got put flat on his back. It was ugly. Quinn looking like that wasn't an accident. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet