Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

I had sportscenter on in the background as I was reading some stuff and nearly spit out a mouthful of soda when I heard Sarkisian say "we didn't lose, we just ran out of time."
lmao I'm surprised I didn't hear the surly groan all the way out here in Arizona.  

God yes. Someone seriously needs to tell him. He may not know. I think I will email him

I agree that there’s a huge difference between Ewers and Card in terms of ability but people need to keep in mind that Card was having to go against a top 5 defense and had a bum ankle. Card is still going to be better than probably 5 or 6 of the QB’s on our schedule and he won’t face a defense that good for the rest of the time he’s starting. I think he’ll fill in well temporarily. No reason we can’t still have a great season.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The more I think about it, the more I am surprised that we didnt have more middle pressure. Going into the game, we knew Majors had problems with huge interior guys, and Hutson was a true freshman in his second game. Conner was going to be fine, but props to those two for keeping the middle cleaner than I was expecting. 

Yep our pass pro was very good for what they were going up against.  Wasn't until later in game with Card limping and Bama' started blitzing that they were getting pressure.  Night and day difference from past years of 3-man rushes getting sacks against us.  I don't really remember Jones name being called, which is a good thing for OL.  

This is really stupid. It's still Alabama. 
This is the most surly shit ever. Texas shuts down Alabma who has been one of the best offenses in the country for years and then you resort to "but ya know they aren't better than Big 12 teams."
Get the fuck out of here. 

Right, it’s not like bama was slow tempo. They lined up shotgun every snap. Bryce young is an assassin and lived up to the hype IMO. He didn’t have his best throwing day. When bama went down 6, he orchestrated the best drives of the game besides the first scripted one. His td throw was textbook bryce young. Scramble, stop, turn body and side arm it in the end zone? Crazy, I thought he was throwing it to the back of the EZ. Obviously the dodged sack was probably the play of the game. I read something that he’s calm in the eye of the storm and totally believe it.

No big 12 offense has that. What I worry is the defense lapsing and not bringing the bama energy vs kstate, wvu, Iowa st etc. i could see that happening too
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

It’s not like there was a big lead that got whittled away. Giving Ewers credit for the score on the drive he was injured, it was tied when Card entered.
So he is capable of staying within a point of #1 on one leg-and leading a drive that put us ahead with just over a minute to go-but can’t beat the likes of UTSA and Tech?

He gave us 3 fg drives on 3 qtrs. Our defense was capable of making that enough

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Right, it’s not like bama was slow tempo. They lined up shotgun every snap. Bryce young is an assassin and lived up to the hype IMO. He didn’t have his best throwing day. When bama went down 6, he orchestrated the best drives of the game besides the first scripted one. His td throw was textbook bryce young. Scramble, stop, turn body and side arm it in the end zone? Crazy, I thought he was throwing it to the back of the EZ. Obviously the dodged sack was probably the play of the game. I read something that he’s calm in the eye of the storm and totally believe it.

No big 12 offense has that. What I worry is the defense lapsing and not bringing the bama energy vs kstate, wvu, Iowa st etc. i could see that happening too

That would our WTF game. 

As I said earlier, we should be a 3 loss team. Baylor is not as good as I thought, Gundy will Gundy during the season and we absolutely cannot let another chickenshit oU coach beat us.

40 minutes ago, Honeysucklerose said:

God yes. Someone seriously needs to tell him. He may not know. I think I will email him

I’ll go ahead and commit heresy here on the Surl…  Bobby Layne (UT ‘47, Detroit Lions- 2 NFL Champ trophies, UT legend) originated that line in the 1950s. aggy didn’t. And they don’t own it. Don’t be triggered cuz someone uses it. To paraphrase Sark properly, Let’s be less obsessed w ou, ala, and aggy … and more obsessed with Texas!  Sark probably doesn’t need our advice on media relations either. Hook em! 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm far from convinced Texas will have a great season but come on. 

"Big 12 offenses are going to be better than Bama's was." This is just fucking stupid. Bama has the best QB, RBs, OL, and TEs we will face all year. They've been a top 5ish offense going on a decade. 

Quinn in his second CFB game ever >> the tv proclaimed best quarterback to ever play the game.

Edited by Nivek

39 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

No reason we can’t still have a great season.

If Bama lost, and they win out, they are in the playoff.  After yesterday, I see no reason (other than SEC hard-on) why the same can't be said for Texas.  Win out, and you're in. This sounds so stupid, but this close loss (almost win) to Bama may just count as a "win" come voting time.

13 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

If Bama lost, and they win out, they are in the playoff.  After yesterday, I see no reason (other than SEC hard-on) why the same can't be said for Texas.  Win out, and you're in. This sounds so stupid, but this close loss (almost win) to Bama may just count as a "win" come voting time.

If Texas wins out they're in the playoff. There's zero doubt there. 

Funny how aggy was ranked top 5 preseason and Texas unranked. aggy played Sam Houston St and Appalachian St first 2 games while Texas played ULM and top ranked Alabama.

And after 2 games Texas can still make the playoff and aggy is done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When card lost his mobility with his injury it was a big deal. Bryce young is a total baller. The refs really did fuck us hard. A sprain to a non-throwing shoulder sounds like something he should be able to play through.

We’ve had high highs in the past, we must avoid low lows. They need to convince themselves that this is their level of play, not just a getup for bama. We ought to be able to rush for 400yds, own time of possession, and dominate in defense next week vs utsa. Card or ewers doesn’t matter in a game like next weeks.

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Was it confirmed to be a sprained clavicle? If so that's 2 weeks most likely. Probably a case where he could Toradol it if this was a major end of season game coming up but since it's game 3 in non-conference they'll sit him. 

You can't sprain a bone, so I will confirm that he doesn't have a clavicle sprain. Beyond that, I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If Texas wins out they're in the playoff. There's zero doubt there. 

Funny how aggy was ranked top 5 preseason and Texas unranked. aggy played Sam Houston St and Appalachian St first 2 games while Texas played ULM and top ranked Alabama.

And after 2 games Texas can still make the playoff and aggy is done. 

if aggy runs the SEC table (yea I know) and beats Georgia in the SEC title game (yea I know) they are in the playoffs and it wouldn't matter if they lost to fucking Bryan High yesterday.

explain something.  How did Bama have 10 points and 186 yards in Q1-Q3, but Q4 had 10 points and 188 yards.  The blanket coverage in the first 3 quarters led to very good pressure on Young but in Q4 was UT giving big cushions to the WRs?  Playing a soft zone? Giving Bama the sideline?  Something definitely did change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You can't sprain a bone, so I will confirm that he doesn't have a clavicle sprain. Beyond that, I have no idea.

It's not a sprain to the bone itself it's a sternoclavicular sprain. But most people just refer to it as a clavicle sprain or SC joint sprain. 

https://www.sportsmedtoday.com/sternoclavicular-sc-sprains-va-114.htm

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

explain something.  How did Bama have 10 points and 186 yards in Q1-Q3, but Q4 had 10 points and 188 yards.  The blanket coverage in the first 3 quarters led to very good pressure on Young but in Q4 was UT giving big cushions to the WRs?  Playing a soft zone? Giving Bama the sideline?  Something definitely did change. 

the first play that Young took off running when we were in man kind of fucked us up

10 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

They abandoned the run, their receivers stopped dropping passes, and Young is really good. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Was it confirmed to be a sprained clavicle? If so that's 2 weeks most likely. Probably a case where he could Toradol it if this was a major end of season game coming up but since it's game 3 in non-conference they'll sit him. 

How do you sprain a bone?

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Big 12 refs Danny you dumb fuck, we got the Big 12 experience

We should remember this and carry forward accordingly. Give em a little kiss on the way out the door.

I swear that Fred Armisen looking mother fucker needs his junk punched. Then when his nuts are in his gut, oops! Accidental helmet to the gut. Sorry, shouldn't have got in the way.

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well a lot of bama players were giving the horns down as they walked off of the field

That means we got in their heads.

With all the positives I saw, and there were many as posted, Ewers play was most impressive. Dude was dealing. Card was better than good on gimpy foot. Hope he keeps it together 'til The Man recovers.

Hook Em!!!

12 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I get the feeling the ones that are friendly are only friendly because they won the last 2 meetings.   When the Horns start to beat them that will change.   

Just like Nebraska fans were gracious, until we consistently pushed their shit in.  I would love to get back to being the bully everyone hates

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

They abandoned the run, their receivers stopped dropping passes, and Young is really good. 

Champions find the next level of focus, dig deep and find another gear, often times with another strategy that finally works. These are words that have largely lost their meaning because they are used all the time. But the skill to out focus your competition and find the flow or the zone is usually the difference between winning and losing.  In the end Bryce finally found it.

I told someone by text at the end of the first quarter that we have a game but the question is when Bama takes it up a notch will Texas respond? Texas did time and time again. Until the end.  

Saban explained his 4th down decision making and it was precision, next level analysis - what most coaches simply can’t execute in the seconds you have to decide (I think Sark may have this too). Then Saban adjusted and said Bryce it’s on you and abandoned the run game. They had previously been in 2nd and 3rd and long bc of Texas defense and Saban stopped that. So the subtle shift in strategy allowed Bryce the chance. Then Bryce found another gear.

champions get better in real time* in the competition. The good news is even though Bama did that, Texas did too, even with tremendous adversity (injuries and refs).

*having the refs no call at critical junctures certainly helps too.

29 minutes ago, tigol said:

How do you sprain a bone?

46 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's not a sprain to the bone itself it's a sternoclavicular sprain. But most people just refer to it as a clavicle sprain or SC joint sprain. 

https://www.sportsmedtoday.com/sternoclavicular-sc-sprains-va-114.htm

It's just an abbriviated way to say it since sternoclavicular is a tongue twister

If that's what he has, and without dislocation, I'd guess he'd be back in 2 weeks with proper treatment of the p5 quality level. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's just an abbriviated way to say it since sternoclavicular is a tongue twister

If that's what he has, and without dislocation, I'd guess he'd be back in 2 weeks with proper treatment of the p5 quality level. 

Can’t we just build him a new one? We have the money and the technology. Maybe embed a weapon in there to blow up a ref when they make more horseshit calls or non-calls 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1