Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

2 hours ago, dec3169 said:

It was awful, but what was that game that our QB got booed off the field (and I don't think he ever came back)?  Was it Gilbert?

Yes. You are correct. I was temporarily able to block that reign of error out of my mind. Thanks for bringing that back up. 
I will say this in Gilbert’s defense- that offense around him was extremely untalented. This offense around MM has 6 players at a minimum that will be drafted, most of them pretty high. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They steaming pile of shit from MM from about 11:35 am until close was way worse than any shit show from a UT QB that isn’t a drooling idiot. 
stop polishing the turd. It was awful. Seriously. That was a 30 point game with case McCoy at QB or some other scrub.  Swoops is the only Ut QB in all our shit years to put up a performance that awful. 

You are pathologically dialed in to have the most extreme, emotional takes. Holy shit, dude.

He's the BACKUP QUARTERBACK for a reason.  The whole point is to survive and advance.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You are pathologically dialed in to have the most extreme, emotional takes. Holy shit, dude.

He's the BACKUP QUARTERBACK for a reason.  The whole point is to survive and advance.

I am fucking ecstatic with the win. Ecstatic. That doesn’t mean that we have to distort reality the way the poster I was responding to did. We won in spite of him playing an absolutely awful last 3+ quarters of football. 
Anyone saying otherwise isn’t dealing in reality or eats paint chips or is being disingenuous 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yeah, that’s 3 in two games. Ewers has 3 in 7 games haha. He only threw 6 in 10 games as a RS fr. Malik is going to shatter that stat at this rate. Can you imagine if he had to play bama? 

I’d imagine the circumstances would change. Bama in Game 9 is not Bama of Game 2

This is where I am.  I think MM looked better than some posters here, but don't take that for me thinking he is better than Ewers at this point.  But, I do think we have seen the peak Ewers.  Murphy has the physical tools to be better than Ewers, but he's not even close at this point.   

What physical tools, he can bench more? Jamarcus Russell had better physical tools than pretty much everybody in the history of QBs.

548a704fcb108f8a254e9ceca2dcf536.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I am fucking ecstatic with the win. Ecstatic. That doesn’t mean that we have to distort reality then way the poster I was responding to did. We won in spite of him playing an absolutely awful last 3+ quarters of football. 
Anyone saying otherwise isn’t dealing in reality or eats paint chips or is being disingenuous 

Brother your posts are here for everyone to see

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I am fucking ecstatic with the win. Ecstatic. That doesn’t mean that we have to distort reality then way the poster I was responding to did. We won in spite of him playing an absolutely awful last 3+ quarters of football. 

What is your suggestion going forward?  How do we deal with our 2/3 QBs?  Did you think Sark should have put Arch on the field today?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What is your suggestion going forward?  How do we deal with our 2/3 QBs?  Did you think Sark should have put Arch on the field today?

Did you not bitch about Cards play at all last year? We can point out when a player is shitty even if they’re the back up.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Arch should have been on the field every other possession against a shitty byu team to audition for the job going forward until Ewers is healthy. 
fsiling that Mm should have been pulled sometime in the second/third quarter to come over and re-set and get back in the game mentally. Riley did that in 2020 with Spencer rattler against us and it worked. If the plan isn’t to get arch some time next week then I don’t understand what Sark is doing, or, like I said, we are super fucked going forward. 

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Did you not bitch about Cards play at all last year? We can point out when a player is shitty even if they’re the back up.

I can bitch about the starter being shitty.  Maalik spiraled down after a hot start.  Not hard to see.  Also, not hard to expect.  He's the backup for a reason.  People get enamored of his cannon and are surprised that Quinn has it all over him on 80% of the throws, those being short and intermediate passes.  Maalik has thrown two or three of the most WTF passes I can imagine this year, but he's what we have, expecting something different is fucking stupid.  He's it.  Or it's Arch, and today was not the day to throw Arch into the fire.

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What physical tools, he can bench more? Jamarcus Russell had better physical tools than pretty much everybody in the history of QBs.

Exactly.  And he was the #1 overall pick in the draft.

It's like you guys don't understand the word "potential".  MM might not develop into a great QB...but he has the tools to do so.

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

How is Arch worse than watching Maalik repeatedly throw it to the other team and miss wide open receivers over and over again?

Sounds like a question for Sark, not us.  But the fact is that he hasn't put him in the game so we can only infer that he doesn't think Arch is ready.

Edited by DixonHur
Edible kicking in

35 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

To my recollection Chance Mock beat VY out for the starting job. He had 15 TDs and 2 INTS when VY took over out of desperation because the offensive line couldn't keep Mock upright. I may be wrong though. Not about Mock being the starter though.

I remember the pro Mock crowd saying that Vince’s first game shouldn’t count because the opposing defense was tired.  Vince was special and should’ve started

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The fact that so many of you think the back up is going to be better or that a freshman can come in and play mistake free - manage the game football (first MM and now AM) highly suggests that either you haven’t played competitive sports, you’re perpetually drunk, or you’re just dumb as a sack of rocks. I’m going with not athletes or drunk. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Arch should have been on the field every other possession against a shitty byu team to audition for the job going forward until Ewers is healthy. 
fsiling that Mm should have been pulled sometime in the second/third quarter to come over and re-set and get back in the game mentally. Riley did that in 2020 with Spencer rattler against us and it worked. If the plan isn’t to get arch some time next week then I don’t understand what Sark is doing, or, like I said, we are super fucked going forward. 

Caleb Williams graduated HS in  spring 2021 and came in halfway through the 2nd quarter, no shuffling, and never looked back after getting the job.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm not saying throw him to the curb.  I like the kid, and he shows flashes.

But, he is not ready to take us where we're trying to go.  And, I don't want to see us blow a conference championship shot, potentially followed by a playoff spot, because we're scared of bruising his ego or him transferring out.  In this portal age, such considerations should be out the window.

I'm not saying punt on the kid permanently.  But, he needs to go sit down.  And, he needs to take it the right way.

If he sits down there's nobody else. 

Arch may not really be ready, if he was I'm sure he would be in there. 

Sark probably feels like the guy with 2 games experience and 2 years in the system is much better than the guy with 0 of both. He's probably right. None of us get to watch practice. 

MM is getting humbled but he's learning and we are winning.

Hurry back Quinn!

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark's job is to win the game.  Y'all wanting to pull Maalik for Arch when we were WINNING are missing the point that our defense had yet to crater against a stupidly effective (bad) passing attack that we had no reason to believe was coming.  There might have been a point when that 20 point lead was down but not eliminated where putting Arch in was defensible, but once a game is a streetfight I don't really have a problem with the coach sticking with the guy who has actually taken snaps in live action

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, freyguy said:

we ate their QB alive.  He later got benched.  But he's learning, and Saban is showing some patience in allowing him to progress throughout the year .

It’s almost like there’s a hyperbolic rise in getting used to game speed that makes new QBs, not just backups adjust.  This isn’t sarcasm at you btw, it’s the others calling for transfers after a 2nd start for a RS FS when they should be rooting for success

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Re: the "oh yeah well Ewers!" stuff.... He went through a stretch of about five quarters recently where he went something like 38 of 41 with four TDs and no picks. Then he got hurt. There is no QE vs MM discussion to be had. 

There never was a QE vs Murphy discussion btw. 

Go back to page 1 and look at the post lol, I was never saying start Murphy over Quinn. More like give Murphy a legit shot after Quinn leaves because he hung around instead of portaling out. 

If he would've portaled we would be more fucked right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's Sark's job to bridge the gap with Maalik until Quinn returns. Maalik was miles better than last week for about 2 quarters. Then it all fell apart. I'd imagine Sark's going to figure out what works and what he needs to do to make it easier for Maalik to not overthink things. But Christ, there's zero reason to throw Arch to the wolves, especially with 2 road games coming up. Make the offense work for Maalik. Run the ball more. Figure out what worked against TCU in their losses and use it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

Folks…it was not good today. It was unequivocally bad. Maalik drug his nuts over our and their faces tonight. I still think this team wins out even with MM, but holy fuck. 

@ztejas you summoned me and let this be known. Any time you summon me the bet is paid. You have 48 hours to make right or I pay it and you are gone until you square up. 

Wait, are you sure @Jewish Wang feels any more comfortable with you having his payment info?

Just now, Zeus said:

There never was a QE vs Murphy discussion btw. 

Go back to page 1 and look at the post lol, I was never saying start Murphy over Quinn. More like give Murphy a legit shot after Quinn leaves because he hung around instead of portaling out. 

If he would've portaled we would be more fucked right now. 

As the season progressed plenty clamored for MM over QE as QE “struggled”. It was stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

Folks…it was not good today. It was unequivocally bad. Maalik drug his nuts over our and their faces tonight. I still think this team wins out even with MM, but holy fuck. 

@ztejas you summoned me and let this be known. Any time you summon me the bet is paid. You have 48 hours to make right or I pay it and you are gone until you square up. 

Daaannnggg.  Hey man did either @closetojumping or I summon you in the CU thread?

• Haha 4

If MM cannot move at all which seems to be the case for whatever reason it's going to be painful.
Everyone seems to think Maalik has wheels because of his height. The reality is Arch and Quinn are more of a dual threat and all 3 are pocket passers.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
5 minutes ago, hookem48 said:
If MM cannot move at all which seems to be the case for whatever reason it's going to be painful.

Everyone seems to think Maalik has wheels because of his height. The reality is Arch and Quinn are more of a dual threat and all 3 are pocket passers.

It ain't his height that makes people think he should be a running QB

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

One can think MM looked like absolute bleeding asshole today and simultaneously think Arch shouldn’t be playing yet and hope for improvement from MM until his superior is ready to go again.

This is the right answer (though I don’t know he’s a bleeding asshole, he definitely is a freshman with no experience)

Edited by troph

MM is a one dimensional QB which means he has to be really good in the passing game to be really effective as an upper echelon QB.  He is nowhere near that good in the passing game.  I am not saying he will not develop more but from what I watched he is a long way from a QB that I believe could lead this Texas team to a conference championship or more.  
Maybe he can develop a little in the QB run game so he is not so one dimensional.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

One can think MM looked like absolute bleeding asshole today and simultaneously think Arch shouldn’t be playing yet and hope for improvement from MM until his superior is ready to go again.
I disagree. Sure he made some bad throws, but also some great ones. So far in two games he's looked better than Quinn did last year after the BloU game performance. He does need to learn about throwing the ball away and living to fight another down...or tucking and running when everyone is covered and nobody in front of him. The bottom line is he's 2-0 as a starting QB, by far the most important thing.

It's kind of crazy he wasn't sacked and frankly rarely pressured today.  That's what makes his INTs today so WTF.  The one to Cook, yea Cook fell but there were three Kstate guys over there so even if Cook doesn't fall that's a 1 on 3 "50/50" ball.  Then the botched screen pass, I mean I don't even know what to say there.  

He is pretty tall so the funny thing is visually I think he "sees" the field better than the 3-4 inches shorter Ewers and early it even looked like he was standing tall and progressing through reads. That seems like something to continue to try and take advantage of, because he doesn't seem to be able to throw well when on the move and likely not something that fixes itself in a week.  

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers