Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

Isn't the goal to get to the NFL as quick as possible and burn out that rookie contract as fast as possible?  Hell Dak is like a 6th rounder.  His big contract negates that first round money and he will probably make more in his last year than his entire first round rookie contract combined.  It's math bro. 

I truly hope everyone watching our past two games thinks Murphy sucks as badly as some in this thread think. That way he gets zero portal interest from any team with a pulse and we have a much better chance of keeping our current QB room intact for another year.

Having said that, only 3 guaranteed games left, time to get Arch some experience under live fire with no pressure. If Quinn comes back from injury and has a game against froggy like he did in 49 to zerOU.. I think putting Arch in to seal the game late wouldn't be a bad idea. That's assuming Sark gives him at least one high percentage pass on their side of the field. Not sure how helpful handing off to Brooks and Baxter would be in his development.

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Why couldn't he get all of those and more as a pro?

He can but you’ve got to devote the entire day week minth and life to being a pro QB if you succeed. It’s probably a 40 hour a week job playing QB at the college level vs 80. Lots more time to slay college poon if you are a college QB as opposed to a pro. 

6 minutes ago, Chihorn said:

MM is playing injured. You will cut him some slack once everything comes out. Bonehead interceptions aside, he’s going above and beyond. Flame away

I can't cut him slack for boneheaded throws unless he is concussed. Pretty sure that isn't the case. Injuries don't cause you to make poor decisions. Besides, if he is hurt that bad, why is he fucking playing. BS.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chihorn said:

MM is playing injured. You will cut him some slack once everything comes out. Bonehead interceptions aside, he’s going above and beyond. Flame away

If so, he needs to step aside. I’m unfamiliar with injuries that make you throw into a homogeneous crowd of opponents’ jerseys though.

• Haha 3

If so, he needs to step aside. I’m unfamiliar with injuries that make you throw into a homogeneous crowd of opponents’ jerseys though.
It's called being a first time starter at the P5 level. I've said this before but the NFL is littered with QB's I once thought sucked too badly to get drafted much less make a roster...and some of those guys are actually starting. I'm not saying MM is going to eventually play his way into Heisman talk, but I've also seen enough over the years to not dismiss the possibility. The kid has an arm that can make all the throws as well as anyone in CFB, but he needs to learn to read defenses better and not rely on his arm skills for every single play.

7 minutes ago, Chihorn said:

I literally said “Bonehead interceptions aside”. Jesus. 

Why cut him any slack at all if his boneheaded throws are the problem to begin with? If his "injury" is affecting his play, why is he playing? I'm guessing his "injury" isn't affecting his play, therefore his decision making is the problem and it damn near cost a loss and probably should have.

1 hour ago, Alien Octopus said:

He has shit footwork and it shows on his intermediate passes in both accuracy and touch. He should tuck the fing ball and run. Every time he threw an intermediate pas it was an adventure with the exception of curls.

I bet you cut'n pasted this from last year's Ewars thread....

10 minutes ago, Chihorn said:

We need Malik to win one more game.

Yeah and the margin for error is low because Maalik isn't a good enough passer. 

Even if Maalik is injured he needs to start running the ball when given free yards. We are trying to win games not keep a QB healthy. It would be a different story if Maalik was capable of beating teams with just his arm but doesn't look that way. 

I don't care if Maalik is 75%. Do what it takes to win. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ousux said:
14 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

It's called being a first time starter at the P5 level. I've said this before but the NFL is littered with QB's I once thought sucked too badly to get drafted much less make a roster...and some of those guys are actually starting. I'm not saying MM is going to eventually play his way into Heisman talk, but I've also seen enough over the years to not dismiss the possibility. The kid has an arm that can make all the throws as well as anyone in CFB, but he needs to learn to read defenses better and not rely on his arm skills for every single play.

Just for the record, arm strength is one of worst predictors for QB success. You need a certain base level, but having a cannon has never been necessary to be a great QB.  Not sure why people fixate so much on pure arm strength 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just for the record, arm strength is one of worst predictors for QB success. You need a certain base level, but having a cannon has never been necessary to be a great QB.  Not sure why people fixate so much on pure arm strength 
Like speed and size, it's something you either have or don't. It's not everything for sure, but look at how much money Jawalrus Russell made on arm strength and having the good fortune of being on a pretty decent tigah team. (Yes, Al Davis wasnt known for great decision making, but still)

Injury prone? Did you watch Bama last night? QB driven into the ground by he same player. I think the NFL understands what they are looking at.

He’s missed time 3 seasons in a row that he’s played. The guy from bama that did that to lsu ain’t the one that busted him up this year. Or in high school.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Like speed and size, it's something you either have or don't. It's not everything for sure, but look at how much money Jawalrus Russell made on arm strength and having the good fortune of being on a pretty decent tigah team. (Yes, Al Davis wasnt known for great decision making, but still)

Ex-NFL GMs are famous for falling for in love with arm strength. Guys like Bill Walsh and Mike Leach would say that accuracy is the #1 quality they look for in a QB. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was on a hiking trip in the Sierra Mountains this weekend, so I just had a chance to watch the game. The screen pass interception is inexcusable, but not a play that’s hard to imagine a freshman under pressure to make. The close-call dropped picks are definitely concerning, but our starting QB has had quite a few of those this season as well. I think Maalik made some really solid plays, just missed on others, and made some dumb mistakes as well. Thats kind of what we were expecting though right? I think his overall comfortability and awareness will improve each week. If Quinn were to go down again, it’d be nice to play a QB who’s played some high stakes college snaps. I think Sark made the right call, we all knew the whole team would need to rally around the back up to keep pulling out these wins. I think it’s a bit irrational of you all to believe Arch could game manager us to an undefeated record with an offensive line that’s struggled in run blocking at times. As inconsistent as he’s been, Maaliks deep shot ability has kept the box cleaner than I thought. He has to eliminate costly turnovers. Let’s see if he can improve on the road. History says don’t count on it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ousux said:

Like your mom's box?

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Lol to anyone who's thinks Sark is doing anything other than playing the QB he thinks gives the team the best chance to win the game being played.

Unless he posted a surly poll, then how can you possibly think he is doing what he can to give the team the best chance to win.  Tapping into the collective college football knowledge of this board is the only way we'll reach the promised land again. 

23 hours ago, ousux said:
On 11/4/2023 at 6:28 PM, Gucci_Suit said:
I’m sure he’ll look completely different playing QB for Arizona State or SMU. Actually he’ll just look the same.
It’s not overreaction. It’s just admitting that what your eyes tell you is the truth. 

He's already gotten offers from much higher profile teams, and I don't think anything he's done the past 2 games will change that. A lot of QB's who have gone on to have respectable NFL careers struggled early on. I'm still amazed every time I watch an NFL game and realize at one time I thought all the QB's on their roster would never make it to the league.

are you talking about the WR from aggy who's wife has the giant feet?

3 hours ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

Well sark has a history of being stubborn to prove a point, he started card over Thompson and that clearly wasn’t the right choice. And people saying “too early” have no clue whether it’s to early or not, unless your in the QB room or at all the practices.

Wut 

Thompson sucked too

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I love people acting like they have any fucking clue what the Mannings want or have said about this situation. 

I'll have you know, Sir, that there is a poster on Texags who recently had lunch with, "someone tight with the big spenders, and they know Cooper pretty well", and Cooper told them that if Arch doesn't start the B12 champ game, he's transferring to Aggy. 

• Haha 2

What is the theory behind why MM could throw on target 1st half and then suddenly couldn’t hit a barn 2nd half?  Fatigue?  In game injury?   Mental breakdown?
I don’t think I have ever seen a QB fade that drastically and then stay down so consistently before.  

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

not at all, people were lusting for Jevan when he was here and knew nothing, people were usting him for him the next season as well. Back to back losses against K State and Texas A&M did that.

Oh come on. No one buys that. That doesn’t even make sense in the context of what you posted. It’s ok to admit when you’re wrong.

32 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

What is the theory behind why MM could throw on target 1st half and then suddenly couldn’t hit a barn 2nd half?  Fatigue?  In game injury?   Mental breakdown?
I don’t think I have ever seen a QB fade that drastically and then stay down so consistently before.  

He has the yips and needs a slump buster.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

What is the theory behind why MM could throw on target 1st half and then suddenly couldn’t hit a barn 2nd half?  Fatigue?  In game injury?   Purely mental?  
I don’t think I have ever seen a QB fade that suddenly and then stay down so consistently before.  

I'd guess a mixture of poor confidence and poor mechanics

He doesn't have the same off platform throwing ability as Quinn and even he gets in trouble when he doesn't get his feet right.

• Hook 'Em 1

I abided by a 24 hour rule and just rewatched the game.  MM not all that bad.  Yes he could have thrown four picks and short hopped a couple others.  kSU is a good veteran team that capitalized on a young qb’s mistakes.  Shocker.     

He will be fine over the next few weeks.  I saw enough upside from MM to go along with plus skill players across the board that should be more than enough to sweep the last three … even with some rs freshmen fuck ups which should diminish each week going forward.   

Relax.  Give the guy a chance.  

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers