Wulaw Horn

I've spent the first part of my morning in the office studying Wright (watching HS highlights, reading articles, etc.), and fuck it... I'm on the Wright train. He looks like he might actually ball the fuck out once he gets his shot. I think he is more than capable of winning us these next 1-3 games, and I think he could potentially take over the QB2 spot. Am I crazy? Maybe, but I need something to feel good about today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I've spent the first part of my morning in the office studying Wright (watching HS highlights, reading articles, etc.), and fuck it... I'm on the Wright train. He looks like he might actually ball the fuck out once he gets his shot. I think he is more than capable of winning us these next 1-3 games, and I think he could potentially take over the QB2 spot. Am I crazy? Maybe, but I need something to feel good about today.  

I think you’re crazy but fingers crossed     
It’s tough to look at his AHS stats as the talent there wasn’t great. 
We shall see. Hate that it’s at this point week 3. Jeez. 

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

For the recrutniks on the site, is Malik in the QB mold of the 18wheeler or more of a slasher?  

I know he’s got great measurables , size etc..but does he have the “wiggle” of leaner , tall QB or more of a  Blake Bell , Tyrone swooped type runner?

I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've seen makes me think he's much more of the freight train, build momentum in a straight line kind of guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Atticus said:

This. There's a reason why he isn't gonna see the field this year. If we see Wright play well in this game, then next year a QB room of Ewers/Murphy/Manning/Wright looks elite.

Just gotta scrape together 8 wins this year, but I'm hopeful the run game is gonna come alive here soon.

At the open practice, Malik only played a little, with an obvious limp. He's recovering from ankle surgery and not 100%. That may be a bigger factor than throwing? Wright looked very competent, if not explosive in practice. He got a ton of reps running the 3rd team. I thought they wasted too much time on him, but now it should pay off.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Depp said:

At the open practice, Malik only played a little, with an obvious limp. He's recovering from ankle surgery and not 100%. That may be a bigger factor than throwing? Wright looked very competent, if not explosive in practice. He got a ton of reps running the 3rd team. I thought they wasted too much time on him, but now it should pay off.

Is Wright quick/fast?  I remember Colt being an excellent runner , deceptively fast. Card looks a step or 2 behind colt and of course with the ankle, all bets are off as far as making something out of nothing. We’re going to need off schedule plays to be made with the qb scramble 

BobbyBurton

Staff member

1 minute ago

New

Add bookmark

Joe Cook wrote about it this morning. Eric and I discussed it yesterday.

We get the strong sense we’re all going to see Charles Wright, No. 14 in your program, play quarterback this weekend.

Wright, a two-time all-district selection at nearby Austin High, is a redshirt freshman. He committed to the Longhorns after initially pledging to Iowa State, fulfilling a lifelong dream.

He is a Longhorn legacy. His father, a local attorney, attended Texas.

Right or wrong, Wright assumes the proverbial “bus driver” tag as a QB.

That means he’s not expected to be an all-world thrower or future NFL draft pick.

Wright’s raw ability could limit Steve Sarkisian’s play-calling. It could also allow UTSA to crowd the line and make the Texas run game beat numbers in the box.

But at the same time, don’t discount Wright entirely.

He’s a player who produced excellent results in high school largely by executing within a pass-first system and then using his legs and athleticism to make the most of things when plays broke down.

Texas won’t need Wright to be the star of the show against UTSA. But they will need him to be capable, to move the team for first downs and not turn the ball over. They’ll need him to execute Sark’s game plan.

I’ve now watched the Texas-Bama contest three times, trying to pick up small things here and there to relay to the members of Inside Texas.

One not so small thing to relay however is just how strong the Texas D-line played at the point of attack. They rarely, very rarely, got rooted out of their gaps.

It may have simultaneously been the best games of the careers of Moro Ojomo, T’Vondre Sweat and Keondre Coburn. All seniors, all developing as they get older.

Those same seniors need to keep pushing to get better and better as the year goes on. If they do, regardless of what happens at QB for the Horns, Texas is going to be a tough out for every conference opponent.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

A lotta people on here underestimating UTSA and overestimating Wright. 

I don't agree with this. 

If Army's QB wasn't injured for a majority of the 2nd half UTSA would be 0-2 against Army and UH. What is a proper "estimation" of this team? They aren't a G5 level team like ULL last year that we beat by 20 points with Card at QB. 

Now can Texas lose this game? Certainly as history has shown we are more than capable of fucking things up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Depp said:

Is Wright quick/fast?  I remember Colt being an excellent runner , deceptively fast. Card looks a step or 2 behind colt and of course with the ankle, all bets are off as far as making something out of nothing. We’re going to need off schedule plays to be made with the qb scramble 

4 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

The smart thing is to sit Card if possible. A high ankle sprain is notoriously tough to heal, he has swelling and is considered day to day. In spite of that, he was productive running for 2 1st downs. He was a great runner in High School, but that's not the Texas game plan. 

No idea on Wright's running skills.

So if Card is still dinged up, we can just run a Triple Option with RoJo, Bijan, Keilan, and Jonathan Brooks all game and still be fine? Let’s do it!
There will be lots of rojo taking direct snaps this game, and I'm ok with that. I know little or nothing of Charles Wright, but this means MM is definitely not ready to go this season. Pretty sure I was ridiculed saying Casey portaling out could end up biting us in the ass at some point..and here we are.
So if Card is still dinged up, we can just run a Triple Option with RoJo, Bijan, Keilan, and Jonathan Brooks all game and still be fine? Let’s do it!
There will be lots of rojo taking direct snaps this game, and I'm ok with that. I know little or nothing of Charles Wright, but this means MM is definitely not ready to go this season. Pretty sure I was ridiculed saying Casey portaling out could end up biting us in the ass at some point..and here we are.
  • Fuck You 1

Few team notes from IT

Spoiler

That was a disappointed locker room after the last second loss to No. 1 Alabama. Let me tell you, that’s a great sign. Coaches and players were not content to play Bama close, “they were disappointed because they expected to win.” If you watched the players reaction as they departed the field, you might have noticed this yourself.

Said another source, “They didn’t put Alabama on a pedestal and weren’t intimidated. That speaks volumes. Being able to perform like they did is a confidence boost.” Multiple other sources mentioned the confidence that comes from the performance, but if you look deeper it comes from their preparation. 

IT mentioned to a source how well conditioned the team was to deal with the heat. “They prepared all summer for that game.” IT stated it felt like the fans prepared all summer as well. “The crowd was insane. That was a big topic, even during the game. Communication was so important on defense because it was LOUD.”

Sensing how disappointed the players were, the coaches, who were also disappointed to come up just short, told the players how proud they were of them. They mentioned that was their brand of football.

If that is their brand of football the return to prominence is afoot. We know they’re getting the talent, we know they have great offensive coaching and, it appears, defensive coaching. Strength & conditioning looks wildly improved. The final piece is culture and that seems well on its way to being restored. It felt that way throughout the offseason but the first two games have served to back that up. Those young men left it on the field. That was probably the most bumps and bruises we’ve heard about after a game. A lot of guys were sore and getting treatment for aches and pains on Sunday.

IT asked if there was much trash talk out on the field. Apparently there wasn’t much. It being all business is exactly how Nick Saban and his former pupil, Steve Sarkisian, would prefer it. 

Consistency is one of the keys to life and football is no different. When sources were asked if they were concerned about a let down ahead of a seasoned UTSA squad, a source replied, “I don’t think we’ll see that at all. Not only did the game increase confidence in themselves, the disappointment of losing should drive them harder. I think you’ll hear about another great week of practice.” That is IT’s read of the situation, too, but we wanted to ask about what could be considered a genuine concern.

Texas can’t afford a let down, especially after the loss of its starting quarterback and potentially the backup. A source was asked if Hudson Card is going to play this weekend. His reply, “As of Sunday night nothing was set in stone. I don’t know what Sark will decide or say at his press conference but no starter has been named and Card wants to give it a go this week. It seems like they’ll evaluate him while preparing Charles Wright. We might not know until game time. I’d expect Card to dress.”

Card’s ankle injury isn’t as severe as it was last year after being hurt in the West Virginia game. He also played through a broken wrist in high school. But like on Saturday, that injury occurred in-game when the adrenaline was flowing. 

We didn’t hear anything about Bijan Robinson but we *think* the MRI on his shoulder was just precautionary, similar to D’Shawn Jamison’s ankle. Jamison will be available this Saturday. It sounds like Bijan would be able to play but they’d prefer to rest him if possible. That’s tougher to do with the quarterback situation, however.

The team will return to the practice field today, and will also review Bama mistakes and watch film of UTSA. Needless to say, this is a big week of preparation and game planning for the program

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's been 6 years of posters here sucking off Jeff Traylor as the second coming.  

That’s pretty much it. It’s all about this fantasy around Jeff Traylor. 

UTSA has looked far beyond a good team in the first two weeks and lucky to not be 0-2. SP+ has them ranked #59 which is probably close to accurate. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really don't think there's going to be a huge difference between Card and Wright. 

Based on watching several minutes of HUDL, Wright kind of reminds me of Casey Thompson. He doesn't have a great arm, but it's good enough. He won't scare anyone as a runner, but is mobile enough. He looks more accurate than Thompson. They are probably equal as runners - Thompson is faster whereas Wright has better vision. If he makes better decisions than Thompson we should be fine.

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That’s pretty much it. It’s all about this fantasy around Jeff Traylor. 

UTSA has looked far beyond a good team in the first two weeks and lucky to not be 0-2. SP+ has them ranked #59 which is probably close to accurate. 

You said it above - ULL had as much hype as UTSA last year and it wasn’t even a contest. And that was a shitty 5-7 team 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

For the recrutniks on the site, is Malik in the QB mold of the 18wheeler or more of a slasher?  

I know he’s got great measurables , size etc..but does he have the “wiggle” of leaner , tall QB or more of a  Blake Bell , Tyrone swooped type runner?

38 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've seen makes me think he's much more of the freight train, build momentum in a straight line kind of guy. 

It's hard to believe after 2 years of this kid being on our radar that people still compare him to VY or Tyrone Swoopes. He's not them. He's an accurate pocket passer with a great arm for intermediate to deep throws. He has a nice release and will eventually be a good player, but he's not a change-of-pace guy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Based on watching several minutes of HUDL, Wright kind of reminds me of Casey Thompson. He doesn't have a great arm, but it's good enough. He won't scare anyone as a runner, but is mobile enough. He looks more accurate than Thompson. They are probably equal as runners - Thompson is faster whereas Wright has better vision. If he makes better decisions than Thompson we should be fine.

So what you're saying is Wright won't force passes that could potentially be intercepted and he won't collapse in the second half. Got it. 

• Like 1

A lotta people on here overestimating UTSA

FIFY.

A bad Texas team controlled a ULL team that was much better than the UTSA squad coming up this weekend. The talent gap between the Big 12 and Sun Belt/CUSA is enormous. If Texas doesn’t cruise, it’s a huge coaching failure, third string QB or no.

Just now, gmr548 said:

FIFY.

A bad Texas team controlled a ULL team that was much better than the UTSA squad coming up this weekend. The talent gap between the Big 12 and Sun Belt/CUSA is enormous. If Texas doesn’t cruise, it’s a huge coaching failure, third string QB or no.

Frank Harris is a decent QB and he'll make some plays no doubt, but no way does he run all over our defense or throw over 300 yards. Also, the UTSA secondary D isn't that good. We'll struggle to get things going to start just to get a feel for the game, but by late second or early third quarter we'll flex our arm and start to pull away. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Traylor in radio just now said they’re down 4 offensive tackles. Will most likely have a guard playing tackle for them. 

Yup. 

If the injuries are the same from Army they will be starting their 2nd string left tackle who moved from guard and then 3rd string RT who is a walk on. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

46 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really don't think there's going to be a huge difference between Card and Wright. 

Mostly college game reps and his pedigree coming out of HS. He’s probably as good or better as most teams that UTSA plays in their conference but with a vastly superior supporting cast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

if the coaches felt anywhere close to this way, Wright would have gotten at least 1 series/snap against Bama.

there is nothing out there that has been written that should make anyone think that Card basically = Wright.

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

FIFY.

We benefited playing ULL week 1 instead of week 3. Unfamiliarity was our friend in that game on both sides of the ball. ULL wasn’t aware we couldn’t set the edge worth a damn.

Not saying I expect UTSA to beat us, but the circumstances are different and I also think UTSA has more firepower offensively. I like their group of receivers.

Just now, ONE YARD said:

Anyone else a little sad we aren’t playing rice this week?

50 anniversary of JFK’s why does Rice play Texas speech..

rice has some badass space uniforms for this week as well. Would have been awesome   

Only because we wouldn't be wringing our hands over Rice

Just now, NoName said:

if the coaches felt anywhere close to this way, Wright would have gotten at least 1 series/snap against Bama.

there is nothing out there that has been written that should make anyone think that Card basically = Wright.

I guess we will find out but I bet that simply boils down to experience. Throwing Wright into the fire against Bama is not exactly a great way to start. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

You're probably right, but you also have to consider the fact that Ewers and Card got all the meaningful snaps in practice last week which probably prevented the coaches from wanting to risk anything by putting Wright in there once Card was hobbled. Had he gotten a full week of practice behind Card, they may have put him in. That's obviously just devil's advocate speculation at this point, but we will probably find out on Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I guess we will find out but I bet that simply boils down to experience. Throwing Wright into the fire against Bama is not exactly a great way to start. 

to me, Wright is the definition of a 3rd string QB...which is NOT bad.

if the coaching staff thought basically anything of him, he would have played in the Bama game based on what we saw from Card - immobile for much of the game, throwing off back foot, etc. throwing him into the fire would have been less than ideal BUT clearly the staff thinks Card on 1 leg > Wright on 2

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If Texas doesn’t cruise, it’s a huge coaching failure, third string QB or no.

Well, Vegas has this game as a 11.5 point spread so the experts don’t expect us to cruise.

Weeks like this are where coaches earn their money. They are problem solvers. The good ones find a way to piece it together. It doesn’t have to be pretty, just find a way.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

to me, Wright is the definition of a 3rd string QB...which is NOT bad.

if the coaching staff thought basically anything of him, he would have played in the Bama game based on what we saw from Card - immobile for much of the game, throwing off back foot, etc. throwing him into the fire would have been less than ideal BUT clearly the staff thinks Card on 1 leg > Wright on 2

It might also be that Card had a much better grasp on this game plan.

51 minutes ago, ousux said:

Pretty sure I was ridiculed saying Casey portaling out could end up biting us in the ass at some point..and here we are.

Huh? The dude wanted the starting job handed to him coming out of last season. He was never sticking around to be depth.

There is no team in the country who has a QB room that does 3 deep with starter level players.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, Vegas has this game as a 11.5 point spread so the experts don’t expect us to cruise.

Weeks like this are where coaches earn their money. They are problem solvers. The good ones find a way to piece it together. It doesn’t have to be pretty, just find a way.

Let's see that line in a couple days when they know UTSA will be playing walk-on caliber tackles due to injuries. 

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just an observation....Vegas doesn't predict scores, or even winners.  They simply set the lines to generate bets one way or the other.  But yes, those lines are a result of general public expectations of outcome, for whatever that's worth.

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Let's see that line in a couple days when they know UTSA will be playing walk-on caliber tackles due to injuries. 

Eh, QB's and RB's move lines way more than OL. Aka not having Quinn moves a line way more than UTSA's starting two tackles being out.