Wulaw Horn

43 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

The problem against army wasn't that they got lost in traffic....most of the big plays were straight go routes, flags, or posts.  The problem for UTSA is their secondary is slow.  They are big...but they are slow.  Isaiah Alston is Army's go to deep threat and he is big and slow(entered transfer portal last January and had no takers)....and still burns UTSA repeatedly on straight routes.  Army's running backs abused UTSA linebackers on basic wheel routes coming out of the back field.  Also, UTSA didn't load up the box all game long against army, they ran a lot of 4-3 and even nickel.  If they give Texas the 12 yard cushion they gave army it will get ugly......and Texas actually has speed.  Army's light oline routinely moved the UTSA defensive line backwards, not talking misdirection, just flat out 1st and goal from the 3 and the dline for UTSA ended up 3 yards deep in the endzone.  UTSA has a safety who is a good tackler, the rest like to dive and arm tackle.

Could we blow it against UTSA....sure....I mean we lost to Rice......but....I just can't see it.  Our Oline should maul them. Whomever we line up at running back should have room to run. Army consistently got pressure with a 3 man rush.....I mean I just don't see the trap game.  Sure we feel good about ourselves, but we didn't win and we won't have our starting QB....there's lot of reasons the players won't coast this week.

As for who is playing QB....Texas doesn't need their QB to win this game, they need them manage the offense.  I know I know...last year, kansas, 7 game losing streak, whatever whatever whatever......Last year we had the equivalent of wet toilet paper for an oline and our defense was trash, whether they are as good as they looked or not against Bama, the oline is light years ahead of last year both in regards to talent and execution.  It's amazing what giving a coach a real offseason to coach an oline can accomplish. Same with the defense.  We may very well not look quite as great against UTSA, but we will still look far better than last year.

We should be 4-1 going into Dallas.  We shall see if that happens.

If it's Card a big key in this game will be whether he's learned to trust his receivers and air it out. Against this secondary deep routes are going to be an if I'm even I'm leavin' situation and he has to recognize that and throw a more accurate deep ball.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Run blocking has taken a step back without the Jones-Angilua connection mauling everything they see. 

This is something I’d like to see improve on Saturday. Against Bama their DL is just too good to draw much from. Against ULM, I will chalk it up to us wanting to get Ewers as many reps throwing it as possible and then the drop off to the second team OL being significant. UTSA is going to be a game where we need to lean on the defense and running game and we’ve not seen that ability yet with this OL. 

Put me in the camp of, "We don't really know how good this Bama team is, yet, and therefore we can't draw too many conclusions about us." Bama played a similar game on the road at Florida last year in week 3 winning by 2, and the Gators turned out to be a steaming pile of 6-7 meh and fired their coach. Bama still has an iffy OC, they played extremely undisciplined for a Saban team, and they don't seem to have the firepower at the skill positions or on the offensive line as they traditionally do.

I think we learn a lot more about Texas, this week. We already know that we've got injury problems at the most important position, that we're playing an opponent that's going to play with their hair on fire, and there's a better than zero chance we come out flat. They rose to the occasion when adversity hit last week, can they do it again? Maybe in some way, not having a healthy QB room gets everybody to focus in a little more?  We *should* dominate the trenches. We seem to have an advantage at wide receiver if we have somebody to get them the ball. I'm hopeful that we come out and physically dominate them for four quarters, but I've seen this team lay an egg too many times over the past 10-ish years to give them the benefit of the doubt based on one game. If we play disciplined, smart, mistake free-ish football, we should cruise. If not, we're in for a dogfight.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

298E8C98-7EE9-4001-99BD-33401C6FC34B.jpeg

Kind of bullshit to post that, tbh. He already has an inside reputation and Sarkisian made it perfectly obvious that he didn't want people to know. Now I recognize the real issue is whoever gave the poster that information, but just saying. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Kind of bullshit to post that, tbh. He already has an inside reputation and Sarkisian made it perfectly obvious that he didn't want people to know. Now I recognize the real issue is whoever gave the poster that information, but just saying. 

hasn't this guy been wrong about several things over the past couple of months?  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Put me in the camp of, "We don't really know how good this Bama team is, yet, and therefore we can't draw too many conclusions about us." Bama played a similar game on the road at Florida last year in week 3 winning by 2, and the Gators turned out to be a steaming pile of 6-7 meh and fired their coach. Bama still has an iffy OC, they played extremely undisciplined for a Saban team, and they don't seem to have the firepower at the skill positions or on the offensive line as they traditionally do.

I think we learn a lot more about Texas, this week. We already know that we've got injury problems at the most important position, that we're playing an opponent that's going to play with their hair on fire, and there's a better than zero chance we come out flat. They rose to the occasion when adversity hit last week, can they do it again? Maybe in some way, not having a healthy QB room gets everybody to focus in a little more?  We *should* dominate the trenches. We seem to have an advantage at wide receiver if we have somebody to get them the ball. I'm hopeful that we come out and physically dominate them for four quarters, but I've seen this team lay an egg too many times over the past 10-ish years to give them the benefit of the doubt based on one game. If we play disciplined, smart, mistake free-ish football, we should cruise. If not, we're in for a dogfight.

irrespective of what kind of a team Bama has, you can conclude on the basic fact that it didn't resemble any of the games last year with the defense in the backfield at the snap of the ball or our defense not knowing how to do basically anything as a sign of improvement.  So I think we beat an appex Bama?  No....but even so our boys were vastly superior to anything that took the field last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, if Card starts there's no reason at all to believe that 4-6 week Ewers report that originated from Fat Ketch. 

To be fair, the 4-6 week number originally came from Pete Thamel, who was the Ewers' family's mouthpiece during his transfer recruitment. That said, I don't know what to believe. 

That info about Card sounds like bullshit. Maybe it's supposed to be. Yestarday on Burton's podcast, Nahlin, without going into detail, said he'd be surprised if Card plays, which sounded to me like Card has a pretty bad ankle sprain. And he's back to practicing 3 days later?

Edited by CurlyDumps

43 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

I wanted to see more out of that diamond formation

Pshhhh…… this play isn’t even that great. You try to pull this off against UTSA, and watch what happens. I swear the underestimating of this UTSA team is beyond annoying. Yeah, with a 5* QB against Bama’s D this worked well. You think a 3rd string QB is able to fire off a (checks film again to see distance) 7 Yd fuckin scud missile? Laughable. Let’s not forget again that this is UTSA’s D with a lot of athletes everyone is overlooking. THEY WILL SHUT THIS SHIT DOWN!!! Quit fuckin overlooking them, people!!! This is super cereal!!

• Haha 5

What FCB said a few hours ago:

Hudson Card is receiving treatment for “a high ankle sprain” and didn’t take any practice reps on Monday. Those practice reps went to Charles Wright and walk-on Cole Lourd. 

If Card isn’t notably better by Thursday, then Wright will get the start against UTSA on Saturday.

The hope would be that Card’s ankle could recover enough for Card to be the starting quarterback at Texas Tech on Sept. 24 and/or UT’s home game against West Virginia on Oct. 1.

The target date for Quinn Ewers’ return from a sternoclavicular sprain is Texas’ Oct. 8 game in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma (with an outside chance of Ewers playing in the West Virginia game if he’s a fast healer).

Four weeks is usually the minimum timetable for a sternoclavicular sprain like Ewers’

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Run blocking has taken a step back without the Jones-Angilua connection mauling everything they see. 

Yeah, Hayden Conner has been a much worse run blocker than I expected. I thought he’d be better in run than pass. Same for Banks. Right now our biggest problem is we don’t have a single good run blocker on the interior OL and Jones is the only above average run blocker on the OL.

Overall, our OL is way better in pass pro than I ever expected and I’d say is the OL as a whole is better than anticipated, but we are a very poor run blocking unit right now, which isn’t great with Ewers out for a bit, and it’s also a bit of a shame that we can’t block better for Bijan in his last year.

Sark will have to scheme run plays and easy short passes for now to compensate and hopefully all of Banks, Conner Huston improve over the course of the year since it’s their first year starting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, Hayden Conner has been a much worse run blocker than I expected. I thought he’d be better in run than pass. Same for Banks. Right now our biggest problem is we don’t have a single good run blocker on the interior OL and Jones is the only above average run blocker on the OL.

Overall, our OL is way better in pass pro than I ever expected and I’d say is the OL as a whole is better than anticipated, but we are a very poor run blocking unit right now, which isn’t great with Ewers out for a bit, and it’s also a bit of a shame that we can’t block better for Bijan in his last year.

Sark will have to scheme run plays and easy short passes for now to compensate and hopefully all of Banks, Conner Huston improve over the course of the year since it’s their first year starting. 

Yeah but JT Sanders and Gunnar Helm have been outstanding run blockers. I think we have been doing too much stretch and up the gut and not enough off-tackle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What FCB said a few hours ago:

Hudson Card is receiving treatment for “a high ankle sprain” and didn’t take any practice reps on Monday. Those practice reps went to Charles Wright and walk-on Cole Lourd. 

If Card isn’t notably better by Thursday, then Wright will get the start against UTSA on Saturday.

The hope would be that Card’s ankle could recover enough for Card to be the starting quarterback at Texas Tech on Sept. 24 and/or UT’s home game against West Virginia on Oct. 1.

The target date for Quinn Ewers’ return from a sternoclavicular sprain is Texas’ Oct. 8 game in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma (with an outside chance of Ewers playing in the West Virginia game if he’s a fast healer).

Four weeks is usually the minimum timetable for a sternoclavicular sprain like Ewers’

Man, Tech is a tough place to play. I remember our 2008 team looking she'll shocked by that crowd.

Edited by Mikey4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is exactly what will be happening. 

UTSA - Wright
TT - Card or Wright
WV - Card (maybe Ewers makes an appearance)
OU - Ewers

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Man, Tech is a tough place to play. I remember our 2008 team looking she'll shocked by that crowd.

Tech had a very good team that year. Also night games  in Lubbock tend to produce a larger home field advantage than day games. I believe most of their big upset wins have been late kicks. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The dude has been wrong on multiple occasions lately as well. I mean, really wrong.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tech had a very good team that year. Also night games  in Lubbock tend to produce a larger home field advantage than day games. I believe most of their big upset wins have been late kicks. 

Yeah, getting a day game was a blessing by ESPN/ABC. 

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah but JT Sanders and Gunnar Helm have been outstanding run blockers. I think we have been doing too much stretch and up the gut and not enough off-tackle. 

I wouldn’t say Sanders has been outstanding but he has been solid and Helm has blocked well. I do think we need to get to the edge more. We’re just not going to get consistent movement inside. 

Bama was basically impossible to stretch the edges with because of how they play their two edge defenders and their speed at LB. We should have more success there against almost every other team on the schedule. 

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't remember the numbers, but I thought we ran it okay against Monroe? Bama's interior defense is really tough to move. We won't see anything like that the rest of the season.

Our numbers looked good against ULM but that was mostly due to our RBs making plays. Our run blocking against ULM wasn’t good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They also just went up against the beat defensive line in football…

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Years ago I heard an interview with a former UT receiver during the week leading up to a night game at Tech.  It was after 2008, so maybe it was in 2010 (7pm kick) or 2012 (6:30pm kick). I wanna say it was Roy Williams. He was being asked to make a prediction, and said something along the lines of, "man, you know how the refs go blind at night up there in Lubbock." 

Shit was hilarious and it's stuck with me all these years. Not the typical canned response you usually get in sports talk radio interviews.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m including their performance against ULM in my opinion. The run blocking was extremely underwhelming against ULM when you consider the quality of opponent. 

I think it’s fair to expect improvement, possibly quick improvement. The coach knows what he’s doing. A few linemen had their first college game, it was game 1 of the season for everyone. Biggest jump from game 1 to 2 and all that.  Film study on what they did vs what they should have done, if that was the problem.  Some gained confidence after a decent performance vs the bama dl. 

reasons for optimism are there. All that’s left is to watch and see. 

31 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

image.thumb.png.cfeb64672ee57ba8842ddea808c39969.png

Hmm, interesting. My observation during the game had been that we were running left a lot despite have a lot more success to the right side. The stats appear to bear that out. Can anybody more knowledgeable say why we have run left so much more than right? Are we seeing something or trying to establish something?  

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There are a few things you can take away from the Bama game with certainty. 

1. That defensive front 7 was elite. Like, scary elite. While we played well in the microcosm of the flow of the game, they knocked out two quarterbacks and injured our heisman calibre running back while averaging -1 yards per rush before contact. The only front 7 that may match them is Georgia, and I am not convinced they do. Our offensive line played adequately and at times pretty well, but we got zero push all game. 

2. Their offensive line was a step back from what it has been, but it was still littered with Sunday players. Maybe not all first rounders, but 2-5th rounders. Still better than most lines we will see this year and our defensive front bowed up. If the defensive line plays with that same intensity this week, we will maul UTSA. 

3. When Bryce Young went to empty sets in the fourth quarter, he started to carve us up. We may not have been prepared for it, or we may not have had the guys to cover it. Either way, it is something to watch. I think our gameplan was selling out to stop the run vs Bama. 

4. Their receivers were not first round guys like last year, but they are still as good as what we should see the rest of the way with exception of maybe OU with Mims and company. 

5. Call me a sentimental mark, but I really do think the culture is headed in the right direction and you will see far less variance in our level of intensity throughout the season. I think the guys realized "Wow, when I bust my ass I can hang with the best teams in the country."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1