Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, mvlonghorns said:

The defense just held the reigning Heisman trophy winning QB to 20 points, but now we think some dude who plays for UTSA is scoring 28? We are winning 42-7

Yes because every game is different. I bet we have a slight hangover and don't cover the spread. 

We're a hit or two away from seeing Wright or Rojo run the wildcat all game long. And I've seen way too many Kansas games in my lifetime. 

One good Bama game doesn't convince me we've turned the corner. 

6 minutes ago, JGHorn said:

Yes because every game is different. I bet we have a slight hangover and don't cover the spread. 

We're a hit or two away from seeing Wright or Rojo run the wildcat all game long. And I've seen way too many Kansas games in my lifetime. 

One good Bama game doesn't convince me we've turned the corner. 

When Bama went 5 wide in 2nd half, they moved the ball much better.  Utsa has 3 good WRs so don't be surprised to see them have some passing success.

Keeping Utsa's QB from running, and the Texas defense creating a couple turnovers would be great to see.

27 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

UTSA will find ways to throw the ball, I have no doubt about that. We are gonna have to get pressure and stay disciplined in our rush lanes. This is not a game to be over confident in. It's a game to focus, and prove that we are who we think we are.

Their best receiver is #4.  He’s a good player. The QB is a nifty runner and throws an accurate ball but does not have a great arm.  Other than that I did not see much from them against army other than a team that doesn’t quit.  Army made some turnovers early and could have gone up by more than the 14 they were up.  UTSA is a quality G5 team but has no business beating us.  If it’s close it’s because we did stupid stuff like turning the ball over and getting kicks blocked.  

A lot of really great analysis here of the different potentials that we could see from an accurate QB to a decent receiving corps. Along wit Traylor, who at times can be a brilliant coach. Plus as pointed out, this might be an emotional let down game. I agree with a lot of the things that have been posted that the team needs to watch out for or play through.
That being said, multiple mud holes, felonies, and an up and down the field ass kicking will be on display Saturday night at DKR! Bijan and RoJo are gonna eat, Card will throw for 400, Worthy will house two returns, D will be suffocating, and Overshown may accidentally kill somebody.

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The number of people who think because we held Bama to 19 that we should now roll in to this with Roschon going wildcat all game is insane. 

Almost beating Bama doesn't mean we can take out UTSA without playing a QB. 

We are playing a QB. Next man up.

• Hook 'Em 1

We played extremely well against Bama defensively, but the Bama offense also played very poor and made a ton of mistakes. I think we are improved defensively but stuff can change week to week. Just because we gave up 20 to a good offense doesn’t mean we can’t give up 28 the next week if we aren’t careful.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We played extremely well against Bama defensively, but the Bama offense also played very poor and made a ton of mistakes. I think we are improved defensively but stuff can change week to week. Just because we gave up 20 to a good offense doesn’t mean we can’t give up 28 the next week if we aren’t careful.

Uh, Bama played poorly because our DL controlled the LOS, and their WRs couldn't get open for the majority of the game against our secondary. Both of those things are repeatable from week to week, because the Alabama OL and WR rooms are likely the best we will see all season. Now, Texas will play teams with better OCs than BoB, but Texas will not see that amount of skill and depth on offense all season.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

All of this hand-wringing is embarrassing and pointless.  Sark will do what gives us the best chance to win.  I’m excited to see how he manages the situation.  Thankfully, we have a stable of dudes at RB, some legit TE options, a great possession receiver, another WR who can take the lid off of a Defense, and apparently an OL who can hold their own against an SEC DL.  Stop bagging on Wright without seeing a single snap.  We should all be thankful he’s on the roster.   Run them over Sark.  Great game to get two or three guys over 100 yards rushing.  

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

All of this. We've been gameplanning for Bama since Valentine's Day and our guys have all the emotion needed to play up to their potential in that game. We saw a similar outcome against Georgia after a month of people telling us we were gonna get "big boyed". 

Our guys have solid talent, but a game like this and the following week will show us how mentally strong they really are. Against a team they are SUPPOSED to look dominant against.

We tend to play up and down to our competition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Traylor is sure doing his best to try to make everyone believe publicly that his team doesn’t have a chance. I like the guy but it’s almost cringeworthy because it’s coming across as a bit of an act. You know he’s telling his team the opposite.

Rat Poison...

Yeah, Traylor really talking Texas up alright... No doubt his team believes they can compete with Texas though.

1 hour ago, BarthHollamew said:

All of this hand-wringing is embarrassing and pointless.

That’s kinda our MO around here.  

Agree with rest of your post though.  We should have the dudes to impose our will on the ground.  Get the ball to our superior athletes in space with quick easy throws and let them do their thing.

Really need a strong follow up performance from the defense though.  Don’t let this respectable, well coached UTSA team start to believe they have a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Plot twist: Wright is better than Card

The real question is he better than Ballard who just lit up UTSA's secondary? 

Ballard's career high in passing was 88 yards in 3 years at Army before last Saturday against UTSA. These were his offers.  

https://247sports.com/player/cade-ballard-46055398/

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's the film from UTSA game against Army. Look at how bad their O line is.

Also just a few notes,

1:37 mark: the TE slips out and gets behind the secondary. Then he's off to the races for an Army TD. 

3:10 mark: the Army defender blows sheds his block and blows right past the UTSA tackle to sacks Harris. The tackle never picked him up. Then the O line just stops blocking. Jalen Ford, Agent 0, Keondre Coburn and T'Vondre Sweat should give their O line problems all day. 

5:03 Army completes a long pass down the field as the receiver easily gets by the safety. Army rarely ever throws the ball. Worthy and Whittington are going to have a field day with the UTSA secondary. 

6:50 Army completes another long TD pass. 

• Like 1

BobbyBurton

Staff member

Today at 6:10 AM

New

Add bookmark

Sark was pretty forthcoming with the media in the preseason and spring ball about the team’s injuries. But when it’s in season, and the games count, he clearly handles the news differently.

And I don’t blame him a bit. The less he reveals the better.

Unlike the NFL, there is no real duty for a coach/team to report specific injuries in college football

So yesterday, Sark proclaimed five Texas players day-to-day despite public and speculative reports to the contrary.

Quinn Ewers (reports, including ours at IT, have said he’s out as short as 2-3 weeks to as many as 4-6), Hudson Card, Bijan Robinson and D’Shawn Jamison are all day-to-day, according to Sark.

As for who worked as the first-team QB in yesterday’s practice?

“That’s for me to know,” Sark quipped.

Some media types disagree with coaches who hide injuries. I’m not one of them, not in college football.

Kansas State’s Bill Snyder, one of the cagiest coaches of all time, notoriously almost never reported injuries in an effort to give his team every advantage possible.

Sure, it’s likely disingenuous for Sark to claim Ewers day-to-day, but Sark also followed that prognosis up with the fact that none of the players, including Ewers, required surgery.

IMO, he gave the media what they deserved. Enough to write but not the real goods. Fine by me.

I watched the full UTSA-Army game yesterday evening.

I came away impressed with the UTSA QB, who is a southpaw. He’s athletic, quick, and pretty darn good at improvisation when Jeff Traylor gives him a two-way go in short-yardage situations.

They also have a group of receivers who seem sure-handed and do a particularly good job of using their bodies and long arms to create separation in short spaces.

On defense, they are physical. They’re not going to stop hitting in the fourth quarter. They may lack some speed on the back end but up front they bring it on every play even if somewhat undersized and unheralded.

Saturday night should be an interesting encounter for the Horns.

I wouldn't assume UTSA's secondary sucks because of the raw yardage they gave up against Army. That offense is a whole different animal and DBs end up getting lost in play-action conflict after selling out on the run that they won't necessarily see against other offense. They gave up only 6.4 YPA vs Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

I wouldn't assume UTSA's secondary sucks because of the raw yardage they gave up against Army. That offense is a whole different animal and DBs end up getting lost in play-action conflict after selling out on the run that they won't necessarily see against other offense. They gave up only 6.4 YPA vs Houston. 

I agree that their matchup against Army doesn’t tell me much defensively aside from the fact that they were actually pretty good against the run.

But I do know their secondary got shredded last season against good passing attacks. If we had Ewers available against their corners I think I would look at this matchup much differently. 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Houston's offense sucks. 266 passing yards total in double OT against Texas Tech who is far from an elite defensive team. IMO, Houston was one of the most overrated teams coming into this season and I think Kansas has a real shot of beating them this weekend. 

UTSA's secondary finished in the 100s last year in passing yards allowed per game and are now in the 70s again. Their secondary sucks. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Houston's offense sucks. 266 passing yards total in double OT against Texas Tech who is far from an elite defensive team. IMO, Houston was one of the most overrated teams coming into this season and I think Kansas has a real shot of beating them this weekend. 

UTSA's secondary finished in the 100s last year in passing yards per game and are now in the 70s again. Their secondary sucks. 

I'm merely saying I don't think using raw passing stats from the Army game is terribly useful here when considering Army's offense

Regarding Houston's offense sucking, I think it's too early to tell

Just now, Fud said:

I'm merely saying I don't think using raw passing stats from the Army game is terribly useful here when considering Army's offense

Houston's offense could improve but Texas Tech finished 100th in FEI defense last year and UTSA finished 74th in FEI defense last year. To me, I don't think either of those teams have a substantially better defense but maybe improved. 

Houston struggled with both of those defenses. They don't look very good to me. 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

This.  They had a completely different game plan against Army than they will against Texas regardless of who is at QB.   Pretty hard to take anything away from watching a team play that offense.