Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

Texas Tech football: Key member of the offense to return this week

19042912-850x560.jpeg

Lubbock, Texas, USA; Texas Tech offensive lineman Weston Wright (70) 

by Matthew Conner10 hours ago Follow @RockyMntRaider

Ahead of this week’s conference opener, Texas Tech football fans got some good news on Monday when it comes to the injury front.  That’s because head coach Joey McGuire revealed that guard Weston Wright has returned to practice and will be able to play against the Longhorns on Saturday.

“Excited to get him back,” McGuire said on Monday.  “He’s definitely a leader for us and brings a presence in that offensive line.”

This is a tremendous development for an offensive line that has a number of question marks.  After all, Wright is arguably the team’s best lineman.

The 6-foot-6, 320-pound senior has made 33 starts in his Red Raider career.  Along the way, he’s earned honorable-mention All-Big 12 recognition (2020) while helping to solidify the Texas Tech offensive front.

Wright went down with a sprained ankle in the Houston game and missed this past weekend’s loss at NC State.  And without him, Tech has struggled to run the football averaging just 2.7 yards per carry against the Cougars and 2.1 yards per carry against the Wolfpack. Also, in the past two games, Tech has given up 10 sacks, a number that is obviously far too high.

Wright’s return will have a trickle-down effect on the line as well.  In the Houston game, prior to Wright’s injury, redshirt freshman Jacoby Jackson had replaced starter Landon Peterson at right guard after Peterson struggled early in the game.

Thought this was an interesting stat when pertaining to last week.

Since 2014, Texas is 7-35 when trailing by double digits at any point in a game.

Obviously not surprising that when you get down double digits you lose the majority of the time, but shows how many previous Texas teams would have mailed it in last Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thought this was an interesting stat when pertaining to last week.

Since 2014, Texas is 7-35 when trailing by double digits at any point in a game.

Obviously not surprising that when you get down double digits you lose the majority of the time, but shows how many previous Texas teams would have mailed it in last Saturday.

8-35 now, bobby

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I would bet that you will never see our kickoff return team retreat again so quickly.

5 hours ago, jw4381 said:

This better be the case. That was some junior high bullshit. 

I told the entire room I was in, on Saturday, that they are going to try an onside kick at some point and the first line has to stay FUCKING FACED FORWARD. As a former kicker, i was dissapoint.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

The only question that matters for this game is this:  How good is the UT secondary at catching the ball?

Because Donny, bless his heart, is going to throw the ball right to them.  Can they catch?  If so, well, congratulations on the not-so-hard-fought victory ahead of time.

The cut of your jib gets the JW seal of approval. 

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

TBD.  Someone said NCAA decisions come out on Thursday? 

I wasn't clear.  On Thursdays, the NCAA publishes a handful of the plays that they were asked to review (or are reviewing for training purposes) from the week prior.

This type of appeal is new, so I don't know what they are going to do.  I suspect it might come sooner and that the conference/school/player would know first.

Edited by JBJ