NFL Week 3

Dr Fear

Just now, Brothahorn said:

Now maybe the experts will understand why SF wanted to upgrade from Jimmy G.

That's fine.  But Trey Lance looked worse than Jimmy G at actually trying to make reads and throws.  Not Tim Tebow level, but pretty fucking bad.  Miami gonna enjoy another high 1st round draft pick next year.

10 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

That's fine.  But Trey Lance looked worse than Jimmy G at actually trying to make reads and throws.  Not Tim Tebow level, but pretty fucking bad.  Miami gonna enjoy another high 1st round draft pick next year.

I don't think Trey is the answer either, considering he never beat Jimmy for the job. But his sample size is still small. 

They will probably need to draft a QB  if they want to upgrade.

33 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I don't think Trey is the answer either, considering he never beat Jimmy for the job. But his sample size is still small. 

They will probably need to draft a QB  if they want to upgrade.

Agree, but I have no idea how long their window is open with this core.  Deebo is a beast, but he gets a ton of usage and I'm not sure how long they can expect him to stay healthy and perform at this level.  They already have health issues with Kittle and...basically all their running backs.  Unless they're drafting someone ready to go in year 1-2, they're pushing their luck with everyone else being around health or contract-wise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Hackett’s getting canned mid season. You can only go against analytics for so long. 

There's no way that was the correct probability for that team on that night. 

The problem with using pure analytics in sports is it's factoring in all of the best teams and best players as well as the worst. That's fine if you're the team right in the middle of the league in whatever stat you're looking at during any given moment but the probability for an offense as shitty as Denver's last night isn't going to be remotely close to the average. You have to know your team, know how they've been playing, and also know the opponent's strengths/weaknesses and how they're playing on any given night then factor all that in mentally to make the best decision. 

Just judging any situation for any given team against any given opponent by pure statistical averages doesn't work. Wish people would stop doing that. 

• Like 1

Now maybe the experts will understand why SF wanted to upgrade from Jimmy G.

I agree with this, but I believe Jimmy will get better. He didn’t have any training camp and his timing clearly has not returned. He’s not terribly accurate, but I believe he will get better. The 49ers will continue to get better as long as they stay healthy.