SFA 98 Warner Univ 0

Beau Vine

Stephen F. Austin thumped Warner University 98-0 on Saturday night, and that’s after the Lumberjacks kneeled down on a two-point conversion that could have given them a triple-digit victory.

Warner University, an NAIA program located in Lake Wales, Fla., took a 17-hour charter bus to visit Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches, Texas, and had to take that 17-hour ride back with the sting of a lopsided defeat.

The Royals’ loss in Texas wasn’t their first blowout of the season, as they had allowed totals of 44 points to Keiser University, 52 points to the University of West Florida and 49 points to Florida Memorial University.

For the Lumberjacks, the scoring came from all over the box score. Four different quarterbacks tossed a total of eight touchdowns to seven different receivers. Quarterback Trae Self led the way with four touchdowns and 266 yards on just 12 completions, while receiver Xavier Gipson tallied 149 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

The special teams unit also got in on the scoring, as Seth Nickell returned one of Warner’s eight punts for a 51-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. The Lumberjacks scored five touchdowns in the first quarter to kick things off, including two in the first two minutes and three seconds.

Every single Stephen F. Austin drive ended in points except for the last one, in which they kneeled to kill the clock rather than go for two to try and score 100.

The win was Stephen F. Austin’s second of the season. They previously lost two contests themselves in blowout fashion, falling 42-17 to Jacksonville State to open the season and

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Or the play before, “ok we’re up 92-0. We can score here, but if we get any extra points we’ll just look like dicks!”

I also assume that there was a pretty awkward 10-15 seconds when the offense stayed on the field after the touchdown, and everyone was thinking, "Are these motherfuckers really about to go for 2 right now?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This is the type of playing style that we need to be doing to weaker opponents; go in dry and make them bite the pillow. Colby Carthel is the real deal in Naca Nowhere. He did the same tactics when he coached at A&M-Commerce when I was there, and it seems like he's got the Lumberjacks using the same mentality. That's how he won 3 straight conference titles and the 2017 D2 National Championship. We need a coach like him with that mentality; a take no prisoners approach.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:04 PM, Longboard Horn said:

This is the type of playing style that we need to be doing to weaker opponents; go in dry and make them bite the pillow. Colby Carthel is the real deal in Naca Nowhere. He did the same tactics when he coached at A&M-Commerce when I was there, and it seems like he's got the Lumberjacks using the same mentality. That's how he won 3 straight conference titles and the 2017 D2 National Championship. We need a coach like him with that mentality; a take no prisoners approach.   

Yep, Seek and Destroy mentality. 

Colby Cathhel to Texas?

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Colby Cathhel to Texas?

I would welcome that. He can turn programs around and make winning and competitive teams out of literal dogshit. Commerce finished 1-9 in 2012. Carthel gets there in the spring and his first year(2013) they finish 7-5 then have a 10 win season, win the conference title and make the playoffs in his second season. 

So this is the guy who had his national championship recognition overshadowed by this bullshit?

Untitled.0.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I would welcome that. He can turn programs around and make winning and competitive teams out of literal dogshit. Commerce finished 1-9 in 2012. Carthel gets there in the spring and his first year(2013) they finish 7-5 then have a 10 win season, win the conference title and make the playoffs in his second season. 

People used to say that about Todd Graham.

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

If the Joey McGuire thing doesn’t work out at Tech I bet Carthel gets serious consideration for that job.    That’s if he continues upward movement at SFA. He’s from that part of the state which Tech will see as a plus.  Really I could see him take a few other jobs in Texas like Baylor, TCU, SMU, etc depending on timing. Not sure about a Texas or aggy just yet.    

Midwestern State did something similar over the weekend. Defeated Simon Fraser 77-0, with SFU gaining only 61 yards total offense.

https://msumustangs.com/sports/football/stats/2022/simon-fraser-b-c-/boxscore/11775

”But slugga, I don’t even know who Simon Fraser is.”

You wouldn’t unless you’re a devoted D2 football junkie…or you live in British Columbia, Canada. Yes, you read that correctly.

Even more bizarre? This was a Lone Star Conference game. Again yes, you read that correctly.

The LSC has been so desperate to replace all of the recently departed (Tarleton, Abilene Christian, etc) that they’re apparently willing to reach across international fucking borders.

1 minute ago, hpslugga said:

Midwestern State did something similar over the weekend. Defeated Simon Fraser 77-0, with SFU gaining only 61 yards total offense.

https://msumustangs.com/sports/football/stats/2022/simon-fraser-b-c-/boxscore/11775

You wouldn’t unless you’re a devoted D2 football junkie…or you live in British Columbia, Canada. Yes, you read that correctly.

Even more bizarre? This was a Lone Star Conference game. Again yes, you read that correctly.

The LSC has been so desperate to replace all of the recently departed (Tarleton, Abilene Christian, etc) that they’re apparently willing to reach across international fucking borders.

LSC got out of hand even before a handful of teams departed. The whole 19 in '19 was ridiculous. They took a of schools from the Great American Conference to have 19 total in the LSC. Some schools were only track and field or a single sport member. Not every school plays football either. That's stupid. I for one don't miss it. 

11 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If the Joey McGuire thing doesn’t work out at Tech I bet Carthel gets serious consideration for that job.    That’s if he continues upward movement at SFA. He’s from that part of the state which Tech will see as a plus.  Really I could see him take a few other jobs in Texas like Baylor, TCU, SMU, etc depending on timing. Not sure about a Texas or aggy just yet.    

Colby and his father Don coached together at West Texas A&M and used to have a dominant football program before he came to Commerce. Colby knows how to recruit that region so Tech would be very happy to have him as their coach. Honestly could be the second coming of the pirate(in competitiveness and wins, that is).

13 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

OP rubbing their pussy over a 17 hour bus ride. Imagine riding back to fucking Canada after getting butt fucked

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

LSC got out of hand even before a handful of teams departed. The whole 19 in '19 was ridiculous. They took a of schools from the Great American Conference to have 19 total in the LSC. Some schools were only track and field or a single sport member. Not every school plays football either. That's stupid. I for one don't miss it. 

Oh no doubt this isn’t their first exhibition of…issues. Just the very latest. My prediction is MSU will go FCS once that Sikes Mall gets bulldozed and they get their own stadium built right next to the lake. 

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

OP rubbing their pussy over a 17 hour bus ride. Imagine riding back to fucking Canada after getting butt fucked

Yeah they probably had a tough time explaining to border patrol how those things lodged in their asses were placed there involuntarily and beyond their control.

All kidding aside, apparently they’re used to this. I was trying to find the highlights on YouTube and all I got back was some other games SFU played against other LSC teams…going back 3-4 years ago. And yes, they always get killed like this and if you saw those videos, you’d know why. Put it this way; you’re gonna have a damn difficult time convincing some random Wylie Pirate or Plano Wildcats football fans that Highland Park (let alone their own schools) couldn’t beat this team.

20 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Colby and his father Don coached together at West Texas A&M and used to have a dominant football program before he came to Commerce. Colby knows how to recruit that region so Tech would be very happy to have him as their coach. Honestly could be the second coming of the pirate(in competitiveness and wins, that is).

I did my undergrad at A&I, so I followed the football program during my day down there in the early 90's when it was very much one of the best in small college football.  And did so until about 10 years ago when the administration got stupid and let the program decline all while WTAM, Tarleton, ACU, Angelo and Commerce all committed to improving their situations with massive facility upgrades and bringing in good coaches with solid resumes elsewhere. And of those five, three have moved up to FCS and one is looking at going to FBS somehow (Tarleton).   WTAM won't be too far behind leaving the LSC to FCS.     So yea I recall WTAM being a doormat when one year the Javelinas dumped 50 on them before half and the next year when they hired Don and beat them up in Canyon.      Don also coached at Eastern New Mexico which back then was  basically another route for West Texas region high schoolers to play college ball since it's on the state line and not too far from Lubbock and other areas in West Texas and the Permian Basin.  This was of course way before UTPB started their program and I want to think it was during a period where WTAM then West Texas State actually suspended their football program for a few years.

I think Colby is doing it right if he wants to land a big time job at a P5.  He started off at D2 and built the program up, then moved up to an FCS and is doing the same,  Tech could be that third school that he could either make a long term commitment to or move on from there to a bigger situation.   Kind of like Brian Kelly did starting his career  at Grand Valley and building that program up to a power house and then going to Central Michigan   From there Cincy and then to Norte Dame where IMO he should have stayed because he's a fish out of water in the Baton Rouge or waited for B10 job to open up.     He's not going the Tom Herman route where Tom only had one real proving ground (Houston) to prove his Head Coaching credentials in short period and of course we were a sucker to bite.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

And they took schools from the Heartland which was St Mary's, St Edwards, etc.     None that play football.     But I think the conference did this knowing they were going to lose some football members in addition to who they had already lost in ACU and Tarleton.

And for the life of me I don't know why Simon Fraiser decided it was a grand idea to join the NCAA.   Maybe the other sports it works out for them.?

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

And they took schools from the Heartland which was St Mary's, St Edwards, etc.     None that play football.     But I think the conference did this knowing they were going to lose some football members in addition to who they had already lost in ACU and Tarleton.

And for the life of me I don't know why Simon Fraiser decided it was a grand idea to join the NCAA.   Maybe the other sports it works out for them.?

I haven’t seen any reason for their joining. Perhaps they’re the very best Canada has to offer to the point where they’d like to fry bigger fish, but to me this looks a lot like when Prepa Tec tries its luck at football against UIL heavyweights. 

24 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I haven’t seen any reason for their joining. Perhaps they’re the very best Canada has to offer to the point where they’d like to fry bigger fish, but to me this looks a lot like when Prepa Tec tries its luck at football against UIL heavyweights. 

If I recall there was some discussion when SFU joined about Monterrey Tech joining the NCAA  and some college in Tijuana as well that has a college football team