Texas opens as a 15 point favorite v Iowa State

TexasMan

• TexasMan changed the title to Texas opens as a 15 point favorite v Iowa State

Interesting. Was expecting something closer to 10. 

Iowa State might have the best defense in the conference but they’ve taken some big steps back on offense. I’ll be interested to see if Sark can generate consistent offense against the 3 safety drop 8 look. ISU murdered us last year with that defense.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Iowa State might have the best defense in the conference but they’ve taken some big steps back on offense. I’ll be interested to see if Sark can generate consistent offense against the 3 safety drop 8 look. ISU murdered us last year with that defense.

We had no mullet last year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would expect that we will carve them up if they only rush 3.  That is the defense every Tarrant/Denton County team threw against Quinn in HS.  Unless our OL decides to take a huge step back in pass blocking of course.  

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

This seems about right. Classic trap game. Coming off an all time beat down to ou and looking ahead to Okst. 

Agreed. 11 am start doesn't help either. Classic letdown spot. Wouldn't say we'd lose but 15 points seems way too much to cover. 

6 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Agreed. 11 am start doesn't help either. Classic letdown spot. Wouldn't say we'd lose but 15 points seems way too much to cover. 

OTOH our 11am starts this season have been great. Texas really came out well against Bama and OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wow... 15pts seems ridiculously high...

Iowa State gave up only 14pts to Kansas, and 10pts to K-State.  

21-6 is still 15 points.

Sounds funny but my model has it at an average score of 22-4 Texas with an 87% Texas win probability. Iowa State's defense is very very good and their offense is very very bad. Of course in a game like that turnovers and mistakes can make a huge difference (see Alabama last night) so we still need to play well.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wow... 15pts seems ridiculously high...

Iowa State gave up only 14pts to Kansas, and 10pts to K-State.  

This is about what I expected. Iowa State is only scoring 13.5 points a game against power 5 competition and even that number is skewed because of garbage time points against Baylor. 

They're scoring about 10 points a game against power 5 competition if you exclude the late points against Baylor when the game was already over. Their offense has been incapable of scoring. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

How Texas plays in this game will define the trajectory of our program imo. If we play down to the level of the inferior competition, then nothing would have changed and we would be back to square one. If, on the other hand, we come out with fire in our belly and blow them out, then it would probably mean the beginning of a turnaround.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Billingsly being available has me intrigued. This Texas offense adding another reliable weapon might be checkmate for the rest of the big 12.

Total speculation but I’m gonna guess they ease him back in and he maybe only plays a handful of snaps. Helm and Sanders are playing pretty well.

Quinn is fucking him. I’ve never in my life seen anyone throw the ball like he does. I didn’t pay too much attention to mahomes at tech only now in the NFL and he looks like that throwing. Crazy crazy. I know it’s only been like 9 quarters and I’m sure he will have some slumps. But wtf people thinking there was a QB battle this summer AND seriously thinking card was going to start.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the most talented offense we've had since 2008.  There are at least 5 future day 1 or day 2 draft picks starting right now.  I think I saw that the offense is 1st in the country in yards per play when Ewers is in. 

So I do not give any shits about Iowa State holding Kansas schools below 20.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The 55-1/2 total with that spread is interesting. Implies Iowa State scoring 21.25 on average. I don't see a 34-21 game happening but we'll see.

It will be a good test for us on both sides of the ball. If our defense has truly made the progress we think then they won’t score over 20.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

You mean the same defensive looks Texas just put up nearly 600 yards against? Granted, ISU will execute it better, but OU played 3 high safeties with 3 down lineman the majority of the game. Texas gets Billingsley back, so if ISU wants to sit back with their 3 high look, good luck to the ISU CBs and LBs  shutting down Whittington, Sanders, and Billingsley in the intermediate routes with a QB that throws the intermediate routes better than every QB in the country except maybe 2 or 3.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

You mean the same defensive looks Texas just put up nearly 600 yards against? Granted, ISU will execute it better, but OU played 3 high safeties with 3 down lineman the majority of the game. Texas gets Billingsley back, so if ISU wants to sit back with their 3 high look, good luck to the ISU CBs and LBs  shutting down Whittington, Sanders, and Billingsley in the intermediate routes with a QB that throws the intermediate routes better than every QB in the country except maybe 2 or 3.

I’m not denying that Texas has better talent to handle the defense. They absolutely do.

OU couldn’t hold Iowa State’s jockstrap defensively. They have a few players at each level of the defense that could give us problems. We will need a good gameplan because I don’t think they will roll over and quit like OU did defensively after a few drives. They are pretty sound assignment wise.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thompson<Ewers

I hate the "trap game" cliche in college football.  You play in a geographically-based conference with lots of natural and unnatural rivalries, with TV and recruiting and all that shit...yeah there's gonna be 4-6 "big games" each season.  Fucking deal with it.  

However, we have just accomplished a once-in-a-generation beatdown of our most hated rival.  And the week after this, we'll take on Top-10 Oklahoma State with the winner almost guaranteed a spot in the conference championship game.  With maybe the worst offense but best defense in ISU coming to town for a morning kickoff before we all head off to ACL (team included).  So yeah, this is a "trap game."  If ever there was one.  

Although they will be heavy challenges, we have to sweep our remaining home games-Baylor and TCU especially.  If we can take KU and split KSU/OSU...we make the conference championship and quite possibly a Sugar Bowl or Cotton Bowl bid.  But shit goes sideways like Lubbock again, we're lucky to limp to the Liberty Bowl.  

I haven’t followed them this year but 15 seems high.  I think we are capable of playing with literally anyone right now but also capable of being uninspired and letting a lesser team hang around. 

Hope the team is focused and hands out an ass beating.  ISU is owed that.  Whole fucking B12 got kinda uppity for a few years and needs daddy Texas to give them the back of our hand. 

bitch slap slapping GIF

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Iowa State spanked us last year. It was the worst beatdown of the season and sparked the “get in the motherfucker” speech. If this team can’t get up for a revenge game at home then forget about the conference championship or NY6 bowl. Fuck all that trap game noise. Iowa State has one coming. 

Fair point.  We are just 3-4 against ISU in the last 7, including the last three in a row, last year's ass-whooping, and the Halloween shutout when most of our current 2-deep first suited up for middle school/high school football and dreamt of playing at Texas.  Shit, is there anybody left on this roster from when we last beat them in 2018?  

2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

How Texas plays in this game will define the trajectory of our program imo. If we play down to the level of the inferior competition, then nothing would have changed and we would be back to square one. If, on the other hand, we come out with fire in our belly and blow them out, then it would probably mean the beginning of a turnaround.

Has Ketch or Nahlin voiced why Card should start this week?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Iowa State spanked us last year. It was the worst beatdown of the season and sparked the “get in the motherfucker” speech. If this team can’t get up for a revenge game at home then forget about the conference championship or NY6 bowl. Fuck all that trap game noise. Iowa State has one coming. 

It’s muthafucka, muthafucka!!