Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

I think Tech and WVU are out unless they make a big run in the conference tourney (certainly possible). I don't see a 7-11 conference record being good enough even in this league. OSU has a chance at 8 wins if we can somehow win at Tech but I don't see it happening. We also have no shot at a tournament run. If we are the 7 seed we will lose to OU, because of course we will, they've shown they are capable despite their record. If we manage to get the 6 seed, we'll get crushed by the 3 seed in a blowout. Our only chance is to win at Tech, need BU to beat ISU to get us the 6 seed, and we need to not get blown out in the tourney game. We won't win but maybe, just maybe, we can be competitive like we were against KSU. But that was the only game in our 5 game losing streak that wasn't a blowout. I was legitimately positive just a few weeks ago, and here we are. Happy that baseball and softball season has started.

West Virginia is #23 NET and have 10 combined Q1 and Q2 wins. They're definitely getting in. 

Also, it's going to be interesting what Baylor does with George. I've been saying it all year but they're a substantially better team without George and the last 2 games prove it. They can make a final 4 with those other 3 guards playing most of the minutes. George is a net negative for Baylor even though he can score. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Tech missing 3 FTs in the final 2 minutes is the difference, as well as the ref's gifts.

KU doesn't panic or meltdown often in close games at home.  Other teams seem to have a fetish for pissing their pants in AFH when it matters.   

KU wins another title. 21 times in 26 seasons for Self as a head coach in his career.  Never finished worse than 3rd in the Big 12. 

Happy March.  Maybe we can start some Madness tonight and win in FW. 

People on this board shit on Mark Adams pretty consistently. This is especially true when talking about who our next coach will be.  I'll go on record that I think he is actually a good coach and they will be a lot better in the future.  I don't think last year's Sweet-16 run was a huge anomaly. 

Tech is young and has little experience playing together this year.  They only brought 3 players back after last year and only one is any good.  Here is their minutes breakdown:

• Freshman = 28%
  • Sophomore = 24%
  • Junior = 18%
  • Senior = 30%

Just for reference, this is our minutes breakdown this year:

• Freshman = 17%  
  • Sophomore = 14%  
  • Junior = 0%
  • Senior = 69%  

But... even more importantly here is the breakdown of new players vs. carryovers:

•  New to team: 72%
  • Carryover:  28%

They have also had bad injury luck.  Aimaq has been playing injured all year.  When he is in the lineup, Tech is a completely different team.

The Big 12 is doing themed food for each school at the conference tournament(s) for MBB and WBB

• Baylor Float - vanilla ice cream and Dr. Pepper; women who order this will 100% be raped 
  • Cyclones Tenderloin - kaiser bun, breaded pork tenderloin, sliced onion, sweet and spicy pickles and topped with whine
  • Jayhawks Mac and Cheese - pasta and creamy white cheese sauce, topped with pulled pork, and served in a Big 12 trophy
  • K-State Wabash Cannondog - bacon-wrapped jumbo hot dog topped with purple relish (RIP, Fatty, it's quite fitting)
  • Stormin' from Norman Oklahoma Taco - fry bread topped with ground beef, lettuce, tomato, beans, onions and chili, and once you purchase it, someone steals it from you and screams BOOMER SOONER 
  • Pistol Pete's OSU Fried Corn - elote-style, bacon-fried corn topped with crushed doritos, that falls apart before you finish it
  • TCU Loaded Tots - tater tots, spicy queso, smoked brisket, pico, sour cream, and your choice of sprinkled coke or weed
  • Longhorn Quesadilla - triple cheese quesadilla, steak or chicken, with burnt orange salsa rojo, served with hundred dollar bills to wipe your mouth
  • Tech's Masked Rider Burger - all beef patty, cheddar cheese, fried onion ring, sweet pickled jalapenos and BBQ sauce, served with a side of Valtrex OR Activia, since older ladies like Marcia Adams need to stay regular
  • West Virginia Mountaineer Roll - sliced pepperoni and mozzarella cheese in a soft roll, which requires you to sit on a stool during the game and try not to have a heart attack after you eat it 

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Is mustard on that tenderloin's actual ingredient list?

Idk but I can’t believe they didn’t something with tortillas for Tech. Could have also done breakfast tacos or BBQ for UT instead of a quesadilla. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Idk but I can’t believe they didn’t something with tortillas for Tech. Could have also done breakfast tacos or BBQ for UT instead of a quesadilla. 

Outside of ISU, WVU, Baylor, and OU they definitely missed some lay ups.

Tech should have been tacos, you should have been BBQ, OK State should have been the burger. 

Edited by Al_4_ISU

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm sure Tech will find a way to shit all over themselves at home on Saturday since we need it to avoid Wednesday.

But I can't complain.  We did this to ourselves.

Oh you poor bastard. We've been blown out, not even competetive, 5 of the last 6. We can't make a 3 in our own building. All Tech has to do is show up. 

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oh you poor bastard. We've been blown out, not even competetive, 5 of the last 6. We can't make a 3 in our own building. All Tech has to do is show up. 

If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were talking about the Clones instead of the Pokes.

At this point, I’m not sure what to think about anything, but I respect Boynton, your program, and your fanbase so I guess if winning in Lubbock gets you in the Dance, I’m fine with Wednesday 

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What did that dumbass do now? I figured threatening to jump Caleb Asberry in the middle of a game would lead to discipline, but that was weeks ago.

I'm sure it did, off the court.  Grill had another dipshit technical on Monday night where he shoved a WVU player who had just committed a flagrant 2 on Jaz Kunc.  Gave WVU a pair of FTs and the ball when ISU was going to get the same.

My guess is that Otzelberger's been trying to rein his bullshit in off the court and he started acting behind closed doors towards his teammates and coaches the way he's acted on the court.

His behavior's been completely different this year.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the undercut against UT because he'd never been cheap or flinty in the past.  Ever since then he's shown me that he is a cheap hot head bitch.  With any luck, while this hurts depth, I'm sure Otz is expecting it to fix some issues in the locker room.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

From a fairly well connected poster on the ISU boards, it sounds like he's been mouthing off to coaches and trainers and blaming his teammates for the losing streak.

If the shit on the court wasn't bad enough already, he can fuck all the way off.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No argument there.

Gotta give TJO props for cutting a cancer in March instead of waiting for the offseason.  Hurts your chances in March, but probably worth it in the long run. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Gotta give TJO props for cutting a cancer in March instead of waiting for the offseason.  Hurts your chances in March, but probably worth it in the long run. 

My blind fandom's making the argument in my brain that if he's that bad of a cancer, it might actually help the team rally.

I am glad he's willing to make a tough decision like this and put his money where his mouth is regarding team culture.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My blind fandom's making the argument in my brain that if he's that bad of a cancer, it might actually help the team rally.

I don't think that's blind fandom. I'd almost expect it to improve the team. 

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I am glad he's willing to make a tough decision like this and put his money where his mouth is regarding team culture.

It's wild and puts TJO in a great light, that he's willing to do that for a guy he's been close to since Grill's soph year of HS, as I am reading on reddit. 

Though he played at ISU, transferred to UNLV and then transferred back to ISU to follow TJO?  I don't think I even realized this was his second stop at ISU.  Weird. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

It's wild and puts TJO in a great light, that he's willing to do that for a guy he's been close to since Grill's soph year of HS, as I am reading on reddit. 

Though he played at ISU, transferred to UNLV and then transferred back to ISU to follow TJO?  I don't think I even realized this was his second stop at ISU.  Weird. 

It's the weirdest tenure anyone's ever had at ISU.

Following that Texas game, I thought he was on pace to cement himself as an ISU legend, but he fucked his back up on the undercut and has continued to be a complete asswipe behaviorally ever since while not being able to contribute on the floor.

If he had put his head down, swallowed his pride, took some coaching - the shit he was known for in the past - he could have taken the year off and come back with his COVID year.  Instead he decided to double down on bitchery.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm sure it did, off the court.  Grill had another dipshit technical on Monday night where he shoved a WVU player who had just committed a flagrant 2 on Jaz Kunc.  Gave WVU a pair of FTs and the ball when ISU was going to get the same.

My guess is that Otzelberger's been trying to rein his bullshit in off the court and he started acting behind closed doors towards his teammates and coaches the way he's acted on the court.

His behavior's been completely different this year.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the undercut against UT because he'd never been cheap or flinty in the past.  Ever since then he's shown me that he is a cheap hot head bitch.  With any luck, while this hurts depth, I'm sure Otz is expecting it to fix some issues in the locker room.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

From a fairly well connected poster on the ISU boards, it sounds like he's been mouthing off to coaches and trainers and blaming his teammates for the losing streak.

If the shit on the court wasn't bad enough already, he can fuck all the way off.

Good insight... Thx

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were talking about the Clones instead of the Pokes.

At this point, I’m not sure what to think about anything, but I respect Boynton, your program, and your fanbase so I guess if winning in Lubbock gets you in the Dance, I’m fine with Wednesday 

I love Coach Boynton but the results just aren't there. I was ready to go all in a few weeks ago, and here we are. You just can't get blown out like that so many times in late February. This is a tough league but it can't be an excuse anymore. His X's and O's are good and our guys don't lack motivation or grit. Rebounding and defense are good. His recruiting on paper is fine. The problem that has been consistent is the guys he brings in can't make shots to save their lives. Our 3 point shooting has been atrocious, and now mid range shots are bricking like crazy, and even when we get to the rim I've never seen so many underneath put backs just roll off. I've been chalking it up to bad luck or bad situations or slumps but it has been consistent, year in and year out, we just can't make shots. And many of them are wide open, so the sets are good, and the guys are doing everything right except getting the goddamned ball to go through the hoop. Just clank after clank, brick after brick, often multiple times after successful offensive rebounds. It's been really, really hard for me to blame the head coach, but the buck stops with him, and it's not improving, its getting worse. As much as I hate it, I think we need to move on and find a new head coach. 

Edited by 'stache