It's not the head coach that is the problem

Hozz

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Amazing we hired this drunk assclown when we could have had Brian Kelly. This photo encapsulates everything that is wrong with Texas football.  Unbelievable this douchebag lets his attention whore wife dress him up that way.  

Texas Longhorns = Dallas Cowboys. All about their image. Living in the past. Terrible decision makers. Find new ways to lose constantly. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Hozz said:

Ok so everyone agrees we have underperformed for 12 years across 4 head coaches, right?  This is just bad luck?  A coincidence?  Just a guy that won a national title who got lazy and then 3 bad hires IN A ROW?  Meanwhile the Big 12 is filled with examples in that same time frame of no name fuck faces at historically mediocre programs who had better records with objectively less talent.  But it's our head coach that is the problem?  Fuck that.  Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I might agree with you if we actually hired talented head coaches after Mack but we didn't. Strong has zero idea how to win without Teddy B. I know people say Mack only won because of VY but his 2000s run was damn good with many different QBs.  Herman won a few big games in Houston but lost way too many they had no business losing. Strong and Herman are one in the same. Low level coaches who got exposed when they went to bigger programs. Sark is a drunk flameout who has never had one ounce of success as a head coach. 

It's both the decision makers hiring these wack ass coaches and the coaches themselves. They aren't good.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lou Loomis said:

Tonight was very much on Sark, as was the OK St debacle.

The defense was prepared, tough and mostly brilliant.

Good coaches make proper adjustments and stack the deck in their team’s favor however possible.

QB1/Trigger Man is hot fucking garbage right now. Is that on Sark? Perhaps, since he's supposed to be the QB guru. There were 60 QB's who started FBS games today who would've beaten TCU tonight. Our 5-star, 1.000-rated QB wasn't one of them.

Right right, I mean I kinda agree after strong and Herman left Texas and won national titles at other schools as head coaches I realized it’s just at Texas they were terrible. Oh wait. Nope they just sucked like sark has as a head coach. We hired a guy that showed he sucked at Washington and usc and was a good coordinator at bama with a loaded roster. We’re bad at hiring a great coach since Mack.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hozz said:

Ok so everyone agrees we have underperformed for 12 years across 4 head coaches, right?  This is just bad luck?  A coincidence?  Just a guy that won a national title who got lazy and then 3 bad hires IN A ROW?  Meanwhile the Big 12 is filled with examples in that same time frame of no name fuck faces at historically mediocre programs who had better records with objectively less talent.  But it's our head coach that is the problem?  Fuck that.  Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Sark wardrobe and body language seems to indicate his mindset is messed up. This could get ugly quickly. There is a reason he failed at USC . Ewers has regressed as the year unfolded 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

QB1/Trigger Man is hot fucking garbage right now. Is that on Sark? Perhaps, since he's supposed to be the QB guru. There were 60 QB's who started FBS games today who would've beaten TCU tonight. Our 5-star, 1.000-rated QB wasn't one of them.

hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/

noun

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess the main way I'd respond is that I don't care. You have to figure out how to employ the resources available to get the results you desire. 

Herman went all out in instituting all kinds of gray area recruiting tactics that had become the norm in college recruiting in ways that Strong was not willing to do. That's a credit to Herman. The fact that Sarkisian was a beneficiary of new NIL/portal rules doesn't make a shit. He's the guy in charge. He signed the personnel. What Herman would or wouldn't have done is immaterial, because he's gone. What I can tell you is that the OL classes we've been piling up since Mackovic was fired have been complete horseshit other than a small window in the mid 2000s. Finally it looks like under Sarkisian we're bringing in the talent AND the numbers to one day field a competent OL. 

You seem to want to focus on Sarkisian having the benefit of NIL in a way I don't really give a shit. I am not a Sarkisian hater. I'm not even a Herman hater, in so far as much as I personally disliked the guy, I hoped he would win. That's really all I care about. The program under Herman was about to fall off a steep cliff. I don't see it as not giving him enough time. I see it as thankfully pulling the rip cord before we hit the ground at terminal velocity. 

If Sarkisian benefits from NIL, good for him. 

I want someone who wins at the highest level of football. I saw something very far from that under Herman that was headed in a horrific direction. I see something very far from that with Sarkisian. I'd like to see something that is not only not far from that, but heading in a positive direction. Sarkisian has two years. We'll see what happens.

Charlie wanted to hire his bag man Clint hurt. Let’s not act like he’s some kind of angel

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Now explain why this doesn’t happen to every team that signs top ten recruiting classes just about every year. 

Because those schools hire coaches that understand this challenge and coach those kids differently. Whereas Texas keeps hiring coaches as if they just took over at UTEP and the program needs to be built over years of recruiting until the perfect 22 are on the field. Which is why I know Sark isn't the guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Charlie wanted to hire his bag man Clint hurt. Let’s not act like he’s some kind of angel

That’s what you got out of that? I think Strong is some kind of angel? 

To me college football is beyond angels and devils when it comes to recruiting. Specifically now in the age of NIL. Who cares if Strong was an angel or not? He was a bad hire. He sucked. We’re fortunate as fans he got such a short leash. Not sure why anything else would matter. 

My only point is that Herman worked with 3rd parties in ways that Strong did not. Under Herman, Texas had a robust program of paying for unofficial visits to get kids on campus as often as possible - the way every top program does since Alabama started doing it wholesale in the late 2000s with no consequences. These and other tactics benefitted Herman’s recruiting in ways Strong’s recruiting did not. 

If Sarkisian is benefitting from NIL, so what?

10 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

That’s what you got out of that? I think Strong is some kind of angel? 

To me college football is beyond angels and devils when it comes to recruiting. Specifically now in the age of NIL. Who cares if Strong was an angel or not? He was a bad hire. He sucked. We’re fortunate as fans he got such a short leash. Not sure why anything else would matter. 

My only point is that Herman worked with 3rd parties in ways that Strong did not. Under Herman, Texas had a robust program of paying for unofficial visits to get kids on campus as often as possible - the way every top program does since Alabama started doing it wholesale in the late 2000s with no consequences. These and other tactics benefitted Herman’s recruiting in ways Strong’s recruiting did not. 

If Sarkisian is benefitting from NIL, so what?

NIL is a whole different level than whatever $100 handshakes Herman was giving out. We're talking hundreds of thousands (some cases millions) of dollars. Point is, recruiting will be fine with or without Sark.

8 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

The problem with Herman was that his meathead QB run offense meant we were never going to recruit QBs that win at a high level. We got bailed out by Sam being a lifelong longhorn fan but it was pretty clear shit was headed downhill in his last season.

Still a better coach than Sark. 

8 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Meh, he won a few more coin flip games than Sark has so far (with a much better QB); maybe he’s a little better but the difference seems mostly negligible.

(note: that’s not a defense of Sark, just saying that Herman sucked too.)

If by “a few” you mean “WAY MORE THAN”, then we agree.

7 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess the main way I'd respond is that I don't care. You have to figure out how to employ the resources available to get the results you desire. 

Herman went all out in instituting all kinds of gray area recruiting tactics that had become the norm in college recruiting in ways that Strong was not willing to do. That's a credit to Herman. The fact that Sarkisian was a beneficiary of new NIL/portal rules doesn't make a shit. He's the guy in charge. He signed the personnel. What Herman would or wouldn't have done is immaterial, because he's gone. What I can tell you is that the OL classes we've been piling up since Mackovic was fired have been complete horseshit other than a small window in the mid 2000s. Finally it looks like under Sarkisian we're bringing in the talent AND the numbers to one day field a competent OL. 

You seem to want to focus on Sarkisian having the benefit of NIL in a way I don't really give a shit. I am not a Sarkisian hater. I'm not even a Herman hater, in so far as much as I personally disliked the guy, I hoped he would win. That's really all I care about. The program under Herman was about to fall off a steep cliff. I don't see it as not giving him enough time. I see it as thankfully pulling the rip cord before we hit the ground at terminal velocity. 

If Sarkisian benefits from NIL, good for him. 

I want someone who wins at the highest level of football. I saw something very far from that under Herman that was headed in a horrific direction. I see something very far from that with Sarkisian. I'd like to see something that is not only not far from that, but heading in a positive direction. Sarkisian has two years. We'll see what happens.

The fact that Tom Herman sucks and deserved to be fired doesn’t change the fact that Steve Sarkisian was a worse hire and much worse at actually winning games.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Then he'll be gone. But he isn't going to be fired this year. He won't be fired next year if he has a winning record. So you likely have 2 more years of railing about it on here and anywhere else you choose. 

Same with me. But I am hoping to be proven wrong. I don't think I will be, but I hope so. It sounds to me like there's a part of you that will be delighted to be proven right. 

In the meantime, I'm going to follow men's basketball, where we have made a great hire, who has shown he has a vision for his program, showed progress in year one in ways we hadn't seen in over a decade, and now has at least an incrementally better team in year 2. I would love to see something similar with football some day.

I’m in a similar position, except I think there is a decent chance he doesn’t coach year 4 at Texas.

There's something wrong with the chemistry on the offensive side, not sure if it's guys not liking Ewers, not liking the play calling, but everything on that side has regressed significantly. If Sark can't get into a rhythm calling plays, it's pure garbage as it was last night. Sark lost that game and Ewers has looked like shit since the Okie State game. There's a lack of effort from others, it's all shit. 

Msybe Sark should start the game by giving the officials an ass chewing, telling them exactly what he wants called against the other team, use his fucking head and not let his assistants influence him into stupid shit like a punt block on 4th and 3 against a fucking chode kicker who's already shown his flop moves. 

Props to the defense, the offense is terrible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXpride said:

NIL is a whole different level than whatever $100 handshakes Herman was giving out. We're talking hundreds of thousands (some cases millions) of dollars. Point is, recruiting will be fine with or without Sark.

That may be your point. My point is you use the tools available to you. 

If you think bringing in kids on multiple paid unofficial visits from around the country was about $100 handshakes you missed what has been going on around the country for over a decade entirely. But who cares? 

Also, bringing in the most talented football players is driven by a market economy. NIL upped the numbers for everyone, but it’s not like Texas is the only one playing. Texas just wasn’t playing that game effectively with Mack Brown and Strong.

And yes. Recruiting has never really been UT’s issue. The only issue in talent acquisition has been effort, evaluation, and a failure to use the tools at their disposal. And then a failure to develop and/or utilize it, but that’s a separate but important issue that goes with recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

The fact that Tom Herman sucks and deserved to be fired doesn’t change the fact that Steve Sarkisian was a worse hire and much worse at actually winning games.

I guess it’s like eating two meals and one makes me vomit all over myself and the other makes me shit all over myself and then someone asks me which one was better?

He has two years to turn it around, assuming a winning record next year. We’ll see what happens. I know what my imaginary bet is on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Quinn’s been off for several games. Sark should have had the presence of mind by the second quarter of last night’s game to at least try Card. Quinn didn’t have it but he also didn’t make call play after play of downfield passes he had minimal chances of connecting on. simple intermediate passing mixed with trusting the run could have beaten the #4 team given how well the defense played. Sark inexplicably went for video game style points with a freshman QB he has to know is struggling badly. This isn’t a Card V. Ewers and who has more upside debate.

It’s about winning V. fucking things up for kids who played their asses off.

Going for the blocked punt when you’re only down 7 was brain dead. And costly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I didn't post this to defend Sark or Herman or Strong or lazy Mack.  I just find it very curious how we can win the Director's Cup two years in a row but continue to underperform, for decades across multiple administrations, in the two sports most people give a shit about.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I didn't post this to defend Sark or Herman or Strong or lazy Mack.  I just find it very curious how we can win the Director's Cup two years in a row but continue to underperform, for decades across multiple administrations, in the two sports most people give a shit about.

During that time we've won a national championship and been this close to winning three more.

We'll be OK, but recency bias makes it seem like we're never going to be good again.

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

Because winning in football just isn’t that important in our athletic department. Fans certainly pony up to win, we just do fucking stupid things like hire Charlie Strong and Steve Sarkisian. Unforced errors.

But each made somebody happy that felt the need for it. Neither was in the best interest of the program, but hell, we didn’t break the bank. We settled. And I assure you, Chris Plonsky liked both hires. I’m ready for a refund. Sick of this shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Herman would’ve won the Big 12 this year. 

Eh. Do I think he’d do better with his team? Yes. But I don’t like this game because he wouldn’t have this roster.

But to be clear, yes I do think Herman is a better coach, even if he had to go. I’ve been clear on that since the day of the Sark hire.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Because winning in football just isn’t that important in our athletic department. Fans certainly pony up to win, we just do fucking stupid things like hire Charlie Strong and Steve Sarkisian. Unforced errors.

It would become important if losing ever affected the bottom line.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

But each made somebody happy that felt the need for it. Neither was in the best interest of the program, but hell, we didn’t break the bank. We settled. And I assure you, Chris Plonsky liked both hires. I’m ready for a refund. Sick of this shit. 

Plonsky had 0 to do with any football hire. It’s crazy how dumb our fan base is.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Plonsky had 0 to do with any football hire. It’s crazy how dumb our fan base is.

We’ll, I didn’t say she did. But she doesn’t want us to succeed, and she’s definitely a voice in the room, especially back when Charlie was hired and our AD was a complete mess. She has had way too much influence in our overall operations, and her opinions have been considered far too important.  

image.jpeg.83ae57660cd4659ac9c8b2add9065a28.jpeg

Regional franchise manager, Hot Dog on a Stick.

The issue for the Longhorns is much like the Dallas Cowboys. The brand is bigger than the team, the facilities lush, the adoration eternal. It leads to a aura of entitlement, sloth, laziness. NIL and the portal geometrically increase issues.

A Texas coach has to be a different breed now. Needs to have a true OC and DC. Has to be a game manager, uberstrategist, head recruiter, mediastar, CEO that can manage the AD, the Administration, the BoT, and the fucking big donors. Sark is working on game plane and drawing up genius plays instead of doing his real job. He’s masturbating instead of doing his real job.

I don’t know if DKR would win like he did today. But what we’re seeing in Sark now is Sark ten years from now. Wrong guy for the job.
  • Hook 'Em 1