It's not the head coach that is the problem

Hozz

i’m sorry but i can’t get over this.   
are we over the “Brian Kelly danced like a fool with a recruit!” bullshit?  because i’m coming back with this every time.  

fuck all hell…gotdamn, bro.  i like you a lot, but fuck that ain’t a serious coach by any stretch. you wear that shit when you’re coming off your 4th National Championship in a row.  only then can you redefine the rules.  

and right now, if i’m in a recruiting battle with this guy, i blast this pic to every single recruit, look them in the eyes and say “really!?!”

He looks like a retired matador
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

And honestly I think the collective arrogance we have as a fan base is a huge part of the issue.

That's the kind of shit I read from non-sports fans and rando idiots on Reddit.  What the fuck kind of arrogance do our fans carry when we can't recall the last year Texas went to the conference championship game, let alone won one?  Becuase we outmuscled Jawja through a Sugar Bowl, caught with their pants down?

No, it's because this program is blessed with the MOST ABUNDANT RESOURCES of ANY football program across the nation.  The pecking order moves on to Ohio State, then  whichever Florida team manages to lock their state down, followed by one of LSU/Alabama, then USC.  Winning isn't just an expectation, it's that the program exists with the biggest budget, the best recruiting grounds, among the largest fanbases, one of the best locations, everything that aids winning and building a dynasty.

I'm pissed that Texas has failed to succeed in spite of all of that.  The program has been plagued by compacency with coaches who run their team like it could be Northwest fucking Arkansas.  Where's the shit-eating-grinned coach who cares about making every posession count?

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Anyone getting big NIL money has to deal with irate olds po'ed at them for not laying out, not jumping, not finding the ball over the other shoulder, and most critically, dropping balls right on their hands in their chest.

It's a business now. Saban has been treating it as one for a long time, we are just catching up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

And honestly I think the collective arrogance we have as a fan base is a huge part of the issue.

Agree. The fan base is sucking at scheming, executing, game planing, making personnel decisions, like benching bad QBs, and all of that. 

Dear lord. 13 years of mediocrity will do this to a fan base. Next thing you know it will be the referees who should be blamed.  

Oh, wait.
Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Anyone getting big NIL money has to deal with irate olds po'ed at them for not laying out, not jumping, not finding the ball over the other shoulder, and most critically, dropping balls right on their hands in their chest.

That's a fair point. Nil does change things....but ultimately this falls at the feet of a coach who is in way over his head.

Jesus Christ. Sarks wife dresses him. They both acknowledge it on IG. She’s really into fashion. If your wife doesn’t help dress you then you probably aren’t married.

My wife’s role in my clothing is centered only on commenting “you look nice” or “you look like dogshit”. She has never picked out my clothes or laid out what to wear or shopped for me. She might go with me when I buy suits but basically to comment on fit. I select my shirts ties shoes. I don’t know anyone whose wife dresses them.

She knows I grew up with a mother that liked picking out clothes for me until I rebelled at about 13.

Sark should have the sense to look at that stupid outfit, know his role and his audience, and say “I ain’t wearing that stupid thing”. And wifey should be smart enough to know that as well and put him in a nice Italian perfectly tailored suit. Not that stupid thing which looks like something a potential pick wears to the nfl draft with his mama.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Haven’t read the thread at all, but yeah, Sarkisian may not be the only problem, but he is certainly one of the problems. He is a pussy and a loser. He has no business being a head coach. He was a horrible hire from day one. 

If you can’t see that, you’re probably a pussy and a loser too. We’ll sit here underachieving and stunned at random failures through 2024 and then we will wish him well and rinse and repeat into the future. If you see it some other way, thanks for showing the rest of us your abject naïveté.

This guy has done nothing to get the benefit of the doubt as the head coach of a major CFB program. If you feel the need to challenge that point, maybe first ask yourself this basic question: “How ignorant of the game of football am I and how much of a flaming fanboi am I of this loser?” Honest answers to those questions might prevent further embarrassment for yourself in front of the rest of us on this board. That can’t save the OP, but it might save some of the rest of you idiots. 

I think he has played a great role in bringing the program back from Herman and Strong. To me he does all the right things except win. I wish they could fire our QB coach and move Sark to OC and QB coach. Bring in Fat Pat as head coach and I think we would have a winning program with our current DC. Sark could focus on game planning instead of splitting his time which, I think, would improve offensive production. And the cost to the AD would be pretty low.

But, nothing is going to happen. Sark will move the needle from where we were, but I think will fall short from where we want to be. We will wait until recruiting drops and fan interest dies and bring in a new coach, fire almost everyone and start back at ground zero. And probably make a shitastic hire.

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think he has played a great role in bringing the program back from Herman and Strong. To me he does all the right things except win. I wish they could fire our QB coach and move Sark to OC and QB coach. Bring in Fat Pat as head coach and I think we would have a winning program with our current DC. Sark could focus on game planning instead of splitting his time which, I think, would improve offensive production. And the cost to the AD would be pretty low.

But, nothing is going to happen. Sark will move the needle from where we were, but I think will fall short from where we want to be. We will wait until recruiting drops and fan interest dies and bring in a new coach, fire almost everyone and start back at ground zero. And probably make a shitastic hire.

Yep no reason to believe the next hire will be any better. The powers that be couldn't find a great coach if one bitch slapped them with their dick. They are great at making money but fucking idiots that chase big names when it's time to find a new coach. 

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Haven’t read the thread at all, but yeah, Sarkisian may not be the only problem, but he is certainly one of the problems. He is a pussy and a loser. He has no business being a head coach. He was a horrible hire from day one. 

If you can’t see that, you’re probably a pussy and a loser too. We’ll sit here underachieving and stunned at random failures through 2024 and then we will wish him well and rinse and repeat into the future. If you see it some other way, thanks for showing the rest of us your abject naïveté.

This guy has done nothing to get the benefit of the doubt as the head coach of a major CFB program. If you feel the need to challenge that point, maybe first ask yourself this basic question: “How ignorant of the game of football am I and how much of a flaming fanboi am I of this loser?” Honest answers to those questions might prevent further embarrassment for yourself in front of the rest of us on this board. That can’t save the OP, but it might save some of the rest of you idiots. 

My question is who are the BMDs looking at for 2025? Will they (finally) sit this one out and let CDC hire?

• Hook 'Em 1

Worth posting again from the Statesman column this week...this is the mentality of things here:

Asked to rate Sarkisian’s job so far going into the TCU game, (Kevin) Eltife said, "I would give Sark an A-plus. I think Steve’s doing an outstanding job. He’s doing everything I had hoped would happen when he became our coach. He’s rebuilding our team. He’s a class act. He’s a man of integrity. I love that he doesn’t make excuses, win or lose. He’s doing what was desperately needed to rebuild our team.”

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Worth posting again from the Statesman column this week...this is the mentality of things here:

Asked to rate Sarkisian’s job so far going into the TCU game, (Kevin) Eltife said, "I would give Sark an A-plus. I think Steve’s doing an outstanding job. He’s doing everything I had hoped would happen when he became our coach. He’s rebuilding our team. He’s a class act. He’s a man of integrity. I love that he doesn’t make excuses, win or lose. He’s doing what was desperately needed to rebuild our team.”

We're doomed with BMDs like this fucking up hires...

22 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Yep no reason to believe the next hire will be any better. The powers that be couldn't find a great coach if one bitch slapped them with their dick. They are great at making money but fucking idiots that chase big names when it's time to find a new coach. 

Winning the off the field contests is quite on brand for Texas. 

15 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Yes, of course, I'm a troll. Just a bunch of nimrods that know fuck about shit in here. I'm not saying Sark is the answer but to say he doesn't have a very good resume when it comes to developing quarterbacks if fucking retarded.

And just because I don't agree with dumb fucking opinions doesn't make me a troll. It makes me an individual with my own opinions. I'm not your fucking sheep to be hearded around.

You’re an angry little elf, aren’t you?

Lulz

12 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

are we over the “Brian Kelly danced like a fool with a recruit!” bullshit?  because i’m coming back with this every time.  

fuck all hell…gotdamn, bro.  i like you a lot, but fuck that ain’t a serious coach by any stretch. you wear that shit when you’re coming off your 4th National Championship in a row.  only then can you redefine the rules.  

and right now, if i’m in a recruiting battle with this guy, i blast this pic to every single recruit, look them in the eyes and say “really!?!”

It’s a beta cuck who’s wife dresses him to get likes on social media.  

It’s really no more complex than that.

Anyone that says that Sark is not the problem needs to objectively watch the TCU post game presser. "It is not fair to Card to save the day". Saban benched the guy that got them to an NC and asked a backup to save the day.

Even much much worse than that is his answer on pushing the ball downfield when it has not been working all season. Paraphrasing "We have to figure it out otherwise defenses will sit down on us." His conclusion is he has to do it in game. Really a game with a W on the line is when you try to figure it out. It sounds like he knows it has not worked all year in either games or practice but yet he treats a real game like a practice or scrimmage situation. In games you must use your best weapons with plays that put them in the best position to be successful. It is not the time to call plays you hope will all of a sudden magically work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Anyone that says that Sark is not the problem needs to objectively watch the TCU post game presser. "It is not fair to Card to save the day". Saban benched the guy that got them to an NC and asked a backup to save the day.

Even much much worse than that is his answer on pushing the ball downfield when it has not been working all season. Paraphrasing "We have to figure it out otherwise defenses will sit down on us." His conclusion is he has to do it in game. Really a game with a W on the line is when you try to figure it out. It sounds like he knows it has not worked all year in either games or practice but yet he treats a real game like a practice or scrimmage situation. In games you must use your best weapons with plays that put them in the best position to be successful. It is not the time to call plays you hope will all of a sudden magically work.

He said these things? Does he want to piss off his players? 

It’s a beta cuck who’s wife dresses him to get likes on social media.  

It’s really no more complex than that.

There’s a lot to criticize about Sark’s performance, the the fixation on what he wears or what his wife wears is just weird. It doesn’t matter at all.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There’s a lot to criticize about Sark’s performance, the the fixation on what he wears or what his wife wears is just weird. It doesn’t matter at all.

Some of us grew up In the 80's and early 90's and "Dress for Success" was engrained into the culture. So when you see someone dress like a clown there is a natural reaction for those of us old enough to care how serious we looked when doing a serious job in front of the customer.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think I figured out what “culture” refers to - our coach hiring process. Really bizarre attempts to simultaneously think outside the box and also stay within comfort zones for HC hires. Mackovic, Strong, Sarkisian.  Herman I can’t really fault - he was “the get” that offseason, just like Mack Brown was.  But the others were head-scratchers from go.  

That’s definitely a thing. 

15 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

I can't decide if this outfit says 70's burger king franchisee or dictator of bumfuckistan. 

35 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

he was “the get” that offseason, just like Mack Brown was.

School admin wanted Gary Barnett @ Colorado.  DKR had to step in and avert what would have been another disaster hire.  This school sucks ass at picking winning coaches.  

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, austintiger said:

Best best is to pray for another vy

Mack was 10 times the coach than anyone we've had since. We needed Vince to win a national championship. We didn't need him to consistently win 10+ games and not embarass ourselves evey fucking season like clockwork. If you want to fault him for losing to OU all the time then let's at least recognize that OU was a fucking machine back then. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mack was 10 times the coach than anyone we've had since. We needed Vince to win a national championship. We didn't need him to consistently win 10+ games and not embarass ourselves evey fucking season like clockwork. If you want to fault him for losing to OU all the time then let's at least recognize that OU was a fucking machine back then. 

I acknowledged Mack was a very good coach. He turned into a pussy whenever he had to face Stoops though. He needed Vince to elevate him there....but otherwise he was a damn good coach and this isn't the easiest program to run with all the noise the coach has to deal with.

2 minutes ago, austintiger said:

I acknowledged Mack was a very good coach. He turned into a pussy whenever he had to face Stoops though. He needed Vince to elevate him there....but otherwise he was a damn good coach and this isn't the easiest program to run with all the noise the coach has to deal with.

How is the noise at Texas any different than the noise at other big time college football programs?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Just saying it isn't just about who's playing QB. Our current coach won't even entertain the idea of playing the obviously better QB right now. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

How is the noise at Texas any different than the noise at other big time college football programs?

Justin Timberlake What GIF

I’ve tried to be optimistic with Sark, even though I definitely thought it was a WTF hire. I thought “well hell, we will at least have a badass offense and that’ll be entertaining, and if he gets recruiting right, he could be all right.” And I was ok kinda giving him a pass last year, because it was clear the roster wasn’t that talented, didn’t really have a QB who could execute his offense, and it was everyone’s first year in the systems.

But I was kinda looking to the second half of year 2 to see progress. And it’s difficult to see. The QB is regressing somehow. The second half meltdowns haven’t stopped. He doesn’t seem to have answers.

So yeah, first impression was probably correct - he’s almost certainly not the guy. Here’s the thing though - as long as recruiting doesn’t crater, I’d prefer to just keep him in place until you know for goddamn certain who the replacement will be. Seems like last time we thought maybe we could get Urban but miscalculated, and then we’re left holding our dicks and hired Sark. Don’t do that again. Just keep him here until you have a done deal (well, until you are extremely confident that you have your guy). No idea how realistic that is, acknowledging that there are probably way too many people involved in that replacement process to have coherent communication. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Like many coaches, Mack has rough timing.  When he was @ UNC, FSU was the juggernaut that kept him from winning the conference.  Then at Texas it was a surging OU program with a new coach.  He never got enough credit for all he did and what he's currently doing with another ranked UNC program.  

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Seems like last time we thought maybe we could get Urban but miscalculated, and then we’re left holding our dicks and hired Sark

If, behind the scenes, we could lock Urban in to a deal, would you be okay with firing Sark and hiring UM? If no, would losing to Kansas for a 2nd year in a row change your mind? 

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The second half meltdowns haven’t stopped. He doesn’t seem to have answers.

Decent coaches have a plan

Great coach adapt

That's why the second half meltdown's keep happening.  

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

If, behind the scenes, we could lock Urban in to a deal, would you be okay with firing Sark and hiring UM? If no, would losing to Kansas for a 2nd year in a row change your mind? 

A fully invested, hair on fire Urban?  Yes.

I just don't think that's him these days.  

If it doesn’t matter then why wear something so stupid? If you’re Bill Belichik you’ve got results that speak to themself. If you’re Sark clothes certainly make a difference. Wearing such a ridiculous outfit tells his players he is focused on shit other than football. That he cares more about his personal brand than he does about the Longhorn brand. That he is spending his millions on frivolous garish bullshit rather than focusing on his team. A coach should convey the fact he is totally focused on football 24 hours a day, with barely time to care for his family. No man doing manly things should be wearing such a buffoonery outfit; he should pick his clothes and tell his wife to fuck off. It looks like something a freshman might buy with his NIL money.

He’s not dressing for success. He’s dressing for a gig as an acrobat at Cirque du Soliel. You think Peyton Manning won’t have negative thoughts about that outfit? That Arch and every other commit won’t be sent that picture? Clothes matter in every scenario; it’s why companies have written and unwritten dress codes, why folks get sent home with inappropriate apparel, even in days of casual office wear.

Would anyone here want their defense lawyer wearing that getup to address a jury? Their CFO to wear that to address an investors meeting? Hell no. That suit at that time says more about Sark than just about anything. I’d be preparing my list on why to fire him.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

My opinion is that once Mack was embarrassed he puckered up against the uniforms on the other sideline and not necessarily the quality of the team.  As evidence I offer North Carolina ranked #5 and losing to unranked and crap team Florida State in 2020 and then again 2021 (both unranked) when at home. He still saw Bowden's shadow.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401234612

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401282654

Edited by DanTheHorn

13 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

plaintext gripe

Spoiler

always post in plaintext

is there a setting that requires intervention to NOT post in plaintext?  rather than the default requiring intervention TO post in plaintext?

+++++

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

He looked like a fucking clown. It would have been less weird if he matched that outfit with a red sponge nose. 

I guess it doesn't matter if you don't care whether or not your head coach looks like a clown.

• Hook 'Em 1